Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I actually have used cable cars in a few places where it sort of makes sense, to cross a small river or get workers up a steep hill. It is, sadly, usually not worth the bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're good for things that you can't put directly next to the town but which you want a steady delivery of workers for.

A good idea, I think, for coal works that include a power plant, for example.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Yeah, one of those examples I gave before was a line across a river to a heating plant. It worked pretty well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1481573738466340866?s=21

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 13, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

They're good for things that you can't put directly next to the town but which you want a steady delivery of workers for.

A good idea, I think, for coal works that include a power plant, for example.
Cable cars are good insurance going to coal and heat plants when youre not sure of your road maintenance coverage in winter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah if you want to spend the money you can totally use them as a super reliable essential services link.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gods the brick bridge is ugly and doesn't mesh together well at all

I was looking for something nice and picturesque, not this barely holding together rickety junk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao yeah the bridges in general aren't great, you really need to make them built in one chunk for them to look OK, unfortunately.

I do enjoy the suggestion that they either laid the bricks on a diagonal or they build the bridge straight and then just had a guy with a mallet hammer one end into the ground.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

lmao yeah the bridges in general aren't great, you really need to make them built in one chunk for them to look OK, unfortunately.

I do enjoy the suggestion that they either laid the bricks on a diagonal or they build the bridge straight and then just had a guy with a mallet hammer one end into the ground.

ah the legos approach.

actually that would make the bridges the ultimate prefab construction which is very on brand for this game

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly more terraforming tools would be a really nice addition for the game, being able to lay nice terraces and big concrete retaining walls to make steeper height transitions would be very on brand for the game I think, as well as let you make some really nice looking towns. There's mods that let you do this but they are very fiddly to place and are purely cosmetic.

E: which I say because I was intended to also add that bridges generally look better if you make an earthworks ramp either side, rather than having the bridge itself go up and down, but I forgot to actually post that part.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 15, 2022

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
happiness is way harder now. Also it's pretty lovely you can't do anything about loyalty until you can build a loving tv/radio station and supply your people with electronics

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
You can keep it around 40% if you maximize monuments which seems to be enough to prevent escapes. Kind of throws things off for early starts though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, it's a weird situation where you're either at minimum loyalty or maximum loyalty, and there's almost no in between except for when you're headed from one extreme to the other. It would be nice if the cinema had a slider for this, being able to mix propaganda in would give me a reason to care about it early game beside entertainment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Agreed yeah that you need a broadcast station of some kind to start the loyalty snowball, which is weird but maybe it can be fixed as suggested, cinemas would be good, maybe a setting on the stores to reduce food prices or whatever, make people eat more.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OwlFancier posted:

Agreed yeah that you need a broadcast station of some kind to start the loyalty snowball, which is weird but maybe it can be fixed as suggested, cinemas would be good, maybe a setting on the stores to reduce food prices or whatever, make people eat more.

Food... prices? :ussr:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is loyalty change live or in a branch ?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Food... prices? :ussr:

I'm actually not 100% whether or not they are supposed to be paying for stuff at the stores, replace prices with extra rations if not.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

euphronius posted:

Is loyalty change live or in a branch ?

I'm playing the beta, I dunno how much loyalty changed, but happiness is way different. Before you could get to ~90% immediately and completely ignore alcohol. Now I had to make a pub and I'm still only at 60% happiness after a year.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Loyalty is in the live branch I think, but crime and punishment is in the beta? I believe crime and punishment *further* changes loyalty from the last patch that added secret police and monuments.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-42

Of course the water system simulates sourcing chemicals to treat your water based on source purity and altitude based pressure, what else were you expecting?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Never give up in life or in game :hai:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I love these updates and I love this game. I'm unreasonably excited to wrestle with water pressure and sewage.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Water and sewage sounds like everything I could have ever wanted.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Is there a way to people from being incredibly stupid whenever you do a bus stop to bus stop route and all your construction yard workers just sit on the bus the whole day going back and forth so they are never actually waiting at the stop?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That sounds like you are using too many/too large buses, as they won't get off the other end if there is nowhere with an open job for them to work.

Switch to minibuses or run fewer trips. You can also forcibly unload them by making it a transfer line but they will not wait at the bus stop until there is a job, unfortunately, that makes them wait to be picked up by another bus. It would be nice if there was some functionality like that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IIRC if you want point to point worker transfer you need to turn off worker loading at the destination in the route because what is happening is they get off the bus, see nothing to do, immediately wait at the stop, where they see the bus they just got off had an open spot, and they get back on.

Point to point worker transfer without changing mode of transport is over handling your goods. And most times you change modes of transport it's also over handling your goods, but looks cool. Since you're talking about construction workers, you really just want to be picking people up at the source, so a bus stop next to tenements set as the construction office worker source.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought by "construction yard workers" that meant "workers to supply the asphalt and concrete plants"

I don't think turning off pickup at the worksite bus stop makes a difference, they still won't get off the bus unless there is a job in walking distance of the bus stop, in theory this allows you to run the buses to multiple stops and only needed workers will get off at each, though in practice this is generally too unreliable in supply to base your economy off.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

I thought by "construction yard workers" that meant "workers to supply the asphalt and concrete plants"

I don't think turning off pickup at the worksite bus stop makes a difference, they still won't get off the bus unless there is a job in walking distance of the bus stop, in theory this allows you to run the buses to multiple stops and only needed workers will get off at each, though in practice this is generally too unreliable in supply to base your economy off.
They also said their goal is to get people waiting at the stop, so that's why I figured it was a collector route for construction workers.

It took me a minute because they greatly improved it with the transfer checkbox. My instructions were to hack a transfer stop in the old days I think. If they want people waiting at a central bus stop its as easy as checking the Transfer Line box which basically makes workers see an open bus stop slot as a job-like-destination. And if they are wondering why bus stops don't work as buffer for open job slots in an industrial zone, its as you say. They are not, and you control staffing of smaller jobs by using smaller vehicles to trickle people in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Still think they should let you build a pub to act as temporary worker storage :v:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Crime absolutely fucks any attempt at hard mode. Maybe? I am unclear as to how crime actually works or what effect it has on your pop, but the setup to get it to do anything beyond 'investigate' requires building a station, courthouse, and prison.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Saw something that said water/sewage is coming next.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

biglads posted:

Saw something that said water/sewage is coming next.

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-42

Of course the water system simulates sourcing chemicals to treat your water based on source purity and altitude based pressure, what else were you expecting?

Peep these sick screenshots. I don't really care about crime, but somehow water-pressure gets me going.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

If you can put slogans on top of the water towers that might be enough to get me starting a new game.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

biglads posted:

If you can put slogans on top of the water towers that might be enough to get me starting a new game.

There will be mods.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Asproigerosis posted:

Crime absolutely fucks any attempt at hard mode. Maybe? I am unclear as to how crime actually works or what effect it has on your pop, but the setup to get it to do anything beyond 'investigate' requires building a station, courthouse, and prison.

Seems like you pretty much need to start with medium money and set up those 3 soon, crime affects happiness, and criminality will continually go up and spiral if you don't correct for it. Made an attempt at doing just a police station, which solved the happiness for a while. 7 years in, without the other facilities, criminality had spiraled out of control and I had something like 1300 unsolved crimes in a year. The game lagged with the police station selected due to the amount of investigations in progress. At that point building the courthouse and prison was too late. Although this was a 1946 start and it's definitely possible to build those earlier, it felt like I had been seeping in the criminality spiral pot for a while.

Hard would probably be fine if you could skip the prison, maybe by adding the ability to export prisoners at the border for a fee, like nuclear waste.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have a cargo train on a line from a farm to a liquor factory.

Is there a way to get it to stop running when the silos at the farm are empty. (To save on fuel)

Or do I have to wait for the rail DO.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
You could set it to wait until loaded at the silos, though it might leave some crops unused sitting on the train until next harvest.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
how do you guys handle resources in the mountains? Do you spend hours flattening them?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally I would make a small terrace to build the mine on, and then try and figure out some way to connect a road and possibly a cable car, usually involves a rather circuitous route but that's the point of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
cable cars, what a concept