Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In terms of sheer utility the movie would work just as well with just Ikaris, Cersei, Thena, Sprite, Druig and Ares with maybe a couple of the others in cameo roles for sequel bait. Kingo, Makkari and Phaistos are neat but they're all irrelevant to the emotional arc of the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I hope Eternals luke-warm reaction serves as something of a reality check for MCU. The film felt like a major over-reach: Marvel perfected the formula for prepping the audience for a large ensemble cast ten years ago and yet they disregarded all they had learned with Avengers and tried to cram three-ish films (or a season of a D+ series) worth of content into one slog of a film. The critical baseline for MCU films has been like 80% for so long that Marvel probably thought they could do no wrong, especially with such a talented director on board. Considering we're on the precipice of introducing two more major teams (X-Men and Fantastic 4) into MCU, it's a timely lesson that you can't just throw anything at the audience and expect them to swallow it.

Besides even if the rest of the film had been perfect, Ikaris flying into the sun is the goddamn dumbest thing. It was like putting a hat on a hat... on a hat.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm looking forward to rewatching it. I had no interest in the comics it was based on, little hype or pre-knowledge of the film going in, and judging it on its own merits I found it beautiful and had things to say about what it is to be human. I'm curious about how the pacing holds up, as for longer/slower films I've often found that second time around it's not an issue as you aren't subconsiously asking when you're going to get to the firework factory.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

In It For The Tank posted:

I hope Eternals luke-warm reaction serves as something of a reality check for MCU. The film felt like a major over-reach: Marvel perfected the formula for prepping the audience for a large ensemble cast ten years ago and yet they disregarded all they had learned with Avengers and tried to cram three-ish films (or a season of a D+ series) worth of content into one slog of a film. The critical baseline for MCU films has been like 80% for so long that Marvel probably thought they could do no wrong, especially with such a talented director on board. Considering we're on the precipice of introducing two more major teams (X-Men and Fantastic 4) into MCU, it's a timely lesson that you can't just throw anything at the audience and expect them to swallow it.

Besides even if the rest of the film had been perfect, Ikaris flying into the sun is the goddamn dumbest thing. It was like putting a hat on a hat... on a hat.

Fantastic Four should be fine at least cause the team is by necessity limited to a handful of people. As for the X-Men, audiences have a built in familiarity with most of the potential characters so they'll be able to get away with more shorthand characterisation. Although I personally hope they do an Avengers and slowly rollout the cast in other movies (also keep Wolverine far away from it for at least a couple of movies thank you)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It's still lower mid-tier MCU. If you like these movies, you'll be fine, especially at home where you can pause and whatever.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Rarity posted:

Fantastic Four should be fine at least cause the team is by necessity limited to a handful of people. As for the X-Men, audiences have a built in familiarity with most of the potential characters so they'll be able to get away with more shorthand characterisation. Although I personally hope they do an Avengers and slowly rollout the cast in other movies (also keep Wolverine far away from it for at least a couple of movies thank you)

I have always been a big fan of Wolverine, but totally agree on keeping him separate from X-Men for as long as possible. The old animated series and the Singer-verse movies have completely warped what the X-Men are or are about for most people.

Anyhow, as for Eternals, I'm looking forward to rewatching it. I enjoyed that movie way more than I thought I would going into it. The biggest flaws it had, to me, were that the two main Eternals we were supposed to focus on had the least charisma of the team, and they wasted every opportunity to make the Deviants interesting. As I type that out it sounds like a monumental flaw, but I swear it's a decent movie in spite of it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I hope they go with some lesser known actors for ff/x-men. I liked the start of the MCU where they were mostly people you knew but not exactly household names

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Azhais posted:

I hope they go with some lesser known actors for ff/x-men. I liked the start of the MCU where they were mostly people you knew but not exactly household names

The only real lesser known actor in the original Avengers was Hemsworth. Maybe you could argue Evans but Captain America was still six years after Fantastic Four and ten years after Not Another Teen Movie.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

live with fruit posted:

The only real lesser known actor in the original Avengers was Hemsworth. Maybe you could argue Evans but Captain America was still six years after Fantastic Four and ten years after Not Another Teen Movie.

I think it's worth acknowledging that household name may carry a different weight in this context - we may have all had a pop culture perception of who Robert Downey Jr. was pre-2008, but that's a world of difference from probably everyone in the world seeing him and thinking That's Iron Man.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bleck posted:

I think it's worth acknowledging that household name may carry a different weight in this context - we may have all had a pop culture perception of who Robert Downey Jr. was pre-2008, but that's a world of difference from probably everyone in the world seeing him and thinking That's Iron Man.

Sure but I think it'd be a stretch to say that Steinfeld or Chan are household names.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

live with fruit posted:

Sure but I think it'd be a stretch to say that Steinfeld or Chan are household names.

Steinfeld's a former Oscar nominee at least and Gemma Chan's had some big roles in stuff like Crazy Rich Asians and Fantastic Beasts (and a MCU movie!). But then you've also got Simu Liu who's main credit was a Canadian sitcom and Teyonah Parris who had a minor role in Mad Men and Eternals still had Barry Keoghan and Lia McHugh and such so I think they've been balancing it pretty well lately

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Rarity posted:

Steinfeld's a former Oscar nominee at least and Gemma Chan's had some big roles in stuff like Crazy Rich Asians and Fantastic Beasts (and a MCU movie!). But then you've also got Simu Liu who's main credit was a Canadian sitcom and Teyonah Parris who had a minor role in Mad Men and Eternals still had Barry Keoghan and Lia McHugh and such so I think they've been balancing it pretty well lately

Renner and Ruffalo were also Oscar nominees too and Johansson was arguably a star.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 13, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Watching eternals now and Harish Patel is the true star of this film

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Xealot posted:

This is my issue. A movie can sustain a lot of characters, but not when they're ill-defined and their purpose in the story is flimsy or redundant. They introduced 10 new characters, as well as Dane Whitman and the villain Kro and the celestial Arishem, and less than half of them seem to have a purpose in the story.

They should absolutely have condensed the roster (what do Gilgamesh or Makkari really bring to it? If Kingo has no part to play in the third act, why is he even there? Why even bother making Kro a character vs. having some random Deviants when he's ultimately not important to the real conflict?) They could genuinely have collapsed the roles of several characters into 5 or 6 Eternals, and nobody would've missed anything.

I'm tempted to agree with you but I actually ended up liking anyone's character and their purpose in the movie. Each of them do have an important perspective to bring to their awful immortal existence. But it's like they set up 10 interesting premises and just run out of time. Like Kingo's arc makes absolute sense but at the same time seem to just come out of nowhere. It would've worked way better if we got more time with him. Same with everyone.

If it was a limited series it could've been marvel's first prestige TV series

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

live with fruit posted:

Renner and Ruffalo were also Oscar nominees too and Johansson was arguably a star.

Johansson was absolutely well known at that point. If not for her movies, than appearing on, if not topping, every sexiest woman list for the early 2000s. And there were a LOT of magazines that put out those list in the aughts.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Looking over all of the Avengers, the only ones I think you can really call stars before their casting are Jackson, Rudd and maybe Cheadle, though there are a lot of heavy hitters in the supporting cast.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought Gilgamesh was actually a decent character, but he's barely in the movie. I would also say the same for Phastos. Makkari is almost entirely just in the flashbacks and shows up in the final act to do things, but again, they could have replaced her with someone else.

They really needed to just completely ditch the subplot with Dane Whitman, as it doesn't do anything at all in the movie besides I guess set up the love triangle aspect a tiny bit? But he's really only in the very beginning of the film and the very end for the most part. All of the Deviant stuff was a waste of time. That entire subplot goes nowhere. I wonder if that was a leftover bit from an earlier script, as in the comics, Thena and Kro are a couple at one point, and they kind of hint at that here, but it's entirely pointless.

It's just one of those movies where I struggle to remember it because it's just very forgettable. The main thing I remember is that they at least nailed the size of the Celestials. They are correctly treated as these massive beings.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

live with fruit posted:

Looking over all of the Avengers, the only ones I think you can really call stars before their casting are Jackson, Rudd and maybe Cheadle, though there are a lot of heavy hitters in the supporting cast.

If that's Cheadle is considered a star pre-marvel than Johansson absolutely was too. She had a string of mid budget hits and several movies with Woody Allen.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

If that's Cheadle is considered a star pre-marvel than Johansson absolutely was too. She had a string of mid budget hits and several movies with Woody Allen.

I'd be OK saying just Rudd and Jackson, at least on the top tier.

And thinking about it, Edgar Wright brought Rudd in and he ended up leaving because he wasn't jiving with Feige and now I wonder if that's a coincidence.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 13, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think ant man was the first thing I saw Rudd in

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Azhais posted:

I think ant man was the first thing I saw Rudd in

He's almost entirely in comedy movies, especially Judd Apatow movies. He's in that group of B list comedians like Jonah Hill and Seth Rogan.

I think the only true celebrity that was doing Marvel a huge favor being in it is Samuel L. Jackson.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They really needed to just completely ditch the subplot with Dane Whitman, as it doesn't do anything at all in the movie besides I guess set up the love triangle aspect a tiny bit?

It sets up the Blade cameo and that's the most important thing in that whole movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bleck posted:

It sets up the Blade cameo and that's the most important thing in that whole movie.

The the Blade cameo, that they had to come out and say "That was Blade btw" because there was no way of figuring that out without being told.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always think of Paul Rudd as the really angry councilor in Wet Hot American Summer, a movie you should all watch if you haven't.

And now i need to go smear mud on my rear end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

live with fruit posted:

The the Blade cameo, that they had to come out and say "That was Blade btw" because there was no way of figuring that out without being told.
That 'cameo' was incredibly disappointing, to say the least

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I always think of Paul Rudd as the really angry councilor in Wet Hot American Summer, a movie you should all watch if you haven't.

And now i need to go smear mud on my rear end.

It's criminal that they haven't cast Meloni yet.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

live with fruit posted:

I still don’t get the reference.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I suppose it's not the first vague teaser they've put in a post-credit scene. Infinity War with Fury sending a page to a logo we had never seen before.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

live with fruit posted:

It's criminal that they haven't cast Meloni yet.

I'm pretty sure Meloni makes more money from a single episode of SVU than any marvel actor makes on their debut movie.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Meloni as the Thing

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

How the gently caress have y’all never seen Paul Rudd before? Did you not watch Clueless? This is bonkers to me. Or Celery Man? Jesus Christ.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

How the gently caress have y’all never seen Paul Rudd before? Did you not watch Clueless? This is bonkers to me. Or Celery Man? Jesus Christ.

He was also Judd Apatow's go-to guy and he had a pretty substantial role on Friends. He was famous.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I haven't watched Eternals yet, but doing a movie with an ensemble cast where all of them are introduced in that movie is like... pretty normal. We didn't need separate movies to explain who all the characters were in, like, Seven Samurai or Ocean's Eleven. Or Guardians of the Galaxy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Had a boomer moment just now where I realized that the legendary Paul Rudd comedy run began 15 years ago so it’s actually possible that a ton of the younger audience had no idea who Rudd was in Ant-Man

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

fractalairduct posted:

I haven't watched Eternals yet, but doing a movie with an ensemble cast where all of them are introduced in that movie is like... pretty normal. We didn't need separate movies to explain who all the characters were in, like, Seven Samurai or Ocean's Eleven. Or Guardians of the Galaxy.

And yet here we are.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I willing to bet, without having seen the eternals, that Ocean’s 11 is by multiple orders of magnitude a better written screenplay than Marvel’s The Eternals

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I willing to bet, without having seen the eternals, that Ocean’s 11 is by multiple orders of magnitude a better written screenplay than Marvel’s The Eternals

Also, only Danny, Linus and maybe Rusty have much going on. The twins are doofuses, the sweaty guy is a sweaty guy, etc. In Eternals, all of them have specific motivations and desires and that's a lot to cram into teo and a half hours.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

Lol. I called bullshit on the resolution of the vault heist immediately after seeing it in the theaters. It's on par with Sherlock season 3 in terms of asspull resolutions that make no sense.

Eternals is rushed and poorly pace but entirely internally consistent. There's no real plot holes.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Thundercracker posted:

There's no real plot holes.

Why did Kro attack the Eternals at the end? By that time he knew they were trying to stop the destruction of the world. If he had helped or just noped out it would help his chance of survival and he could pick off who he wanted to later.

Why did Icarus help Cersi gather everyone together. He had just said "I'll take care of this, have a nice weekend you two." The group would have remained scattered an unable to stop the Celestial.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

yeah i was gonna say, ikaris’ plan made no sense to me