Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Khanstant posted:

I haven't finished this video but I'm getting the feeling he's going to lay out how fucknig stupid it was that the "apple" was one of the big fuckin puzzles of the book (can't remember it but the clue was isaac newton plus other apple clues" and ever since reading that lovely book have been wanting to hear someone yell about this puzzle literally simpler than poo poo we were solving for goddamn Neopets seasonal events.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5IV9n223M

edit: yesss it is

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

[...]
Also I, too, sometimes think about the strange hold Dan Brown had on culture in the post-9/11 world and it probably has something to do with people wanting big explanations to intractable problems and maybe it's a commentary that the answer is actually pretty simple.

It's weird to think about now, but it was basically a required carryon for anyone flying between 2005 and 2008. I think that series and the surrounding zeitgeist is the fertile ground from which Assassin's Creed grew out, and thus an entire genre of open-world games. What a wild time to be alive...
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Eating at Musso and Frank's is the best thing to do in Hollywood

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm not up with my definitions, but on what planet is Laurence Fishburne a character actor?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

Maybe I'm not up with my definitions, but on what planet is Laurence Fishburne a character actor?
He's Black.

On a more serious note, while he's huge name, the vast majority of his parts are supporting roles. Kind of like Joe Pesci.

3 minutes into Naomi and WOW it's bad. Even by CW standards.

edit: Finished the pilot and Good Lord that was terrible. Except the scenes where she's skating. Those were cool.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 12, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Looten Plunder posted:

You gotta think about the category in the terms of the kind of person who’d say that, i.e. a weirdo in a suit with more money than brains. So right off the bat he can’t be A Leading Man because he’s neither white nor Will Smith. And if you’re not a Leading Man, you’re a character actor.

There are people out there who consider Denzel loving Washington to be a character actor cause he’s black. Denzel Washington!

You can’t apply earth logic to the people who create these categories. They also think Elisabeth Moss is ugly, somehow. They just live in their own little, racist, sexist world.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
anchorman boy that escalated quickly gif

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

You can’t apply earth logic to the people who create these categories. They also think Elisabeth Moss is ugly, somehow. They just live in their own little, racist, sexist world.

I'll never understand this. First of all, she isn't, second of all, even if she was, who gives a poo poo? I've seen so much disgusting "get this person off my screen" type poo poo written in the comments section of Moss stuff. Meanwhile, these same people will wear loving TShirts and sport posters on their wall of Steve Buscemi.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Elisabeth Moss isn’t ugly, just a Scientologist.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's weird to think about now, but it was basically a required carryon for anyone flying between 2005 and 2008. I think that series and the surrounding zeitgeist is the fertile ground from which Assassin's Creed grew out, and thus an entire genre of open-world games. What a wild time to be alive...
:allears:

I thought for sure that Assassin's Creed had to have come out in like 2000, and I'm shocked the first one was 2007. Although it makes more sense when I remembered for a long time there were like one, and sometimes two, new releases a year.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
American Auto continues to be pretty fun and charming -- something I was worried would be a problem for the show, since it could end up white washing the show's genuinely reprehensible cast into something a bit more TV friendly. But then this episode subverted the beats of the typical sitcom formula by having every character completely fail to learn a single loving thing all episode; if anything, some of them became dumber.

Also interesting that the show's way more serialised than I thought it would be, in that it seems to be following a single dumb executive decision all the way from conception to mass deployment, charting the way that systemic, top-down flaws in a company structure can completely adulterate any good intentions by actors within that system.

None of this is, like, groundbreaking stuff, but it's ten times more than what I expected from a network sitcom. I'm cautiously optimistic about the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Starting to think this Justin Spitzer guy is pretty good at sitcoms! Apparently he started writing the American Auto pilot years ago but put it aside for Superstore. I like when creators are able to go back to old passion projects like that, like Lisa Hanawalt being able to make Tuca and Bertie after working on BoJack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Elisabeth Moss isn’t ugly, just a Scientologist.

This makes her soul ugly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Great was renewed for a third season. HUZZAH!

*throws glassware at ground*

Edit: Also Rachel Bloom's been cast as a regular in another Hulu show, so I don't know if the show if the spy show she planning on writing and starring in is still going ahead.

Rhyno posted:

This makes her soul ugly.

but her thetan meter says she's fine :confused:

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 12, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like Justin Spitzer shows but I also want to see what he'd do if he weren't on a network. What's the justin spitzer HBO show where he can have cusses and the meetcutes can become meatcutes. Imagine how much better The Office woulda been if Dwight could say gently caress and cut off dicks or whatever hell yeah.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Seinfeld's Masturbation episode...on HBO!

Seinfeld: I'm talking about cranking your dick off

George: Shooting my load all over the place!

Elaine: DJ'ing my clit!

*all the guys*

WOAH

Elaine: What?

Seinfeld: Guys gotta throw off splatter batter all over the place, its different for females

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 12, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

glad to be back in the thread!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Sometimes, restraints can work for writing. Life, the Universe and Everything defining 'Belgium' as the most offensive word in the galaxy is more funny than just saying 'gently caress'.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It also depends on the actor because Danny McBride and Edi Patterson can go crude as they like and make it funny every time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

It also depends on the actor because Danny McBride and Edi Patterson can go crude as they like and make it funny every time.

God, Edi is so foul on that show.

Watching season 3 of Search Party and I have a question for our male-attracted posters: Is Drew hot?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edward Mass posted:

Sometimes, restraints can work for writing. Life, the Universe and Everything defining 'Belgium' as the most offensive word in the galaxy is more funny than just saying 'gently caress'.

For me, the bleeping in Reno 911 was much funnier than the uncensored scenes.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ditto for Southpark

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Speaking of that, I used to think the Gordon Ramsay Hell's Kitchen rants where he tore bad contestants a new one were generally funny.
Only later after I saw the uncensored clips did I change my mind. They make him look way more unhinged when you actually hear all the fucks.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

zoux posted:

Watching season 3 of Search Party and I have a question for our male-attracted posters: Is Drew hot?

Not male attracted but there has to be some attraction to that sleepy guy quality.

But mostly quoting to say holy poo poo season 5

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Yes, very.

Like, personality wise he's incredibly unattractive -- he's got less personality than a dead beige fish -- and the show does everything possible to make him very, very unsexy in the first season or two. But the guy who plays him is very attractive, yeah.

I assume you're up to the juror plot though, yeah?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The main issue with that guy is I’ve seen him with a moustache and he looks loving horrible. Imagine Joaquin Phoenix in Her but much worse

And yeah I still have a couple episodes left in Search Party s5 but it’s been incredibly :stare: in the best way.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

The main issue with that guy is I’ve seen him with a moustache and he looks loving horrible. Imagine Joaquin Phoenix in Her but much worse

And yeah I still have a couple episodes left in Search Party s5 but it’s been incredibly :stare: in the best way.

Are you saying Joaquin Phoenix didn't look sexy as hell in Her?

But yes, Drew is hot. His terrible personality and blandness somehow add to the charm. I'm thinking of that horrible weird sex scene with him and Dory in the first episode, that was just awful.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As a rarely male-attracted person, Drew is a babe. Though it's him in Save Yourselves! that sold me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

On this note, I just got to the Good Place episode where Chidi’s shirt comes off and :stare:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If he's not a romantic comedy leading man for the next 10 years we've royally hosed up as a society

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I don't know how I landed on Jay Leno hosting You Bet Your Life, but those 5 minutes were the saddest I have ever seen on TV.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Has the Party Down thread gone to archive heaven? The cast have been posting pictures from their costume fittings so the new episodes will presumably be on TV sooner rather than later. (I have no idea how long post-production takes on shows without special effects.)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

As a rarely male-attracted person, Drew is a babe. Though it's him in Save Yourselves! that sold me.

Been watching love life season 2 and he's in that and they made the same references about him being secretly shredded.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I don't know how I landed on Jay Leno hosting You Bet Your Life, but those 5 minutes were the saddest I have ever seen on TV.

:same:

The ads for it were anti-hype too. Just absolute trash when there's a ton of decent gameshows.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

wizardofloneliness posted:

that horrible weird sex scene with him and Dory in the first episode, that was just awful.

I remember being very confused by this scene. IIRC, Drew was jerking himself off in bed while Dory laid next to him looking very bored, and then when Drew was about to finish, he climbed on top of Dory to finish.

It seemed like TV-pilot-shorthand for “this couple is trying to get pregnant and it’s not going well”, but that was very very much not the case

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To Tell The Truth is my current TV dinner gameshow of choice. Most of the other gameshows I've seen past few years with a celeb host have been kind of bummers, they feel like they think they're too good to be there or they aren't great hosts or there's just something from them that drags the rest down to me. To Tell The Truth kind of feels like anthony anderson was like "either y'all put my mom on this show or I won't do it" and it worked. Unless the original also featured the hosts mom, it's a good gimmick. She's also the official "shut the gently caress up and show us your answer" person.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is that a "would I lie to you?" adaptation or something else?

Edit: apparently not. It dates back to the 50s. Would I lie to you? does use the format for one of its segments though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Peacemaker’s first three episodes dropped just now on HBO Max and it’s already got one of the greatest intro sequences i’ve ever seen in my life.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

JazzFlight posted:

Speaking of that, I used to think the Gordon Ramsay Hell's Kitchen rants where he tore bad contestants a new one were generally funny.
Only later after I saw the uncensored clips did I change my mind. They make him look way more unhinged when you actually hear all the fucks.

It's an act, for Fox. His BBC shows are nothing like that.

It's actually kind of hilarious because American Kitchen Nightmares is all about roaches and mold and BBC Kitchen Nightmares is mostly about getting a second Michelin Star.
:laugh:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

Peacemaker’s first three episodes dropped just now on HBO Max and it’s already got one of the greatest intro sequences i’ve ever seen in my life.

If i was to describe them using a Venn diagram, then they'd hit the impressively narrow overlap zone of "is very anime" and "is very good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Gonz posted:

I was worried it was going to be a first episode one off intro, and they'd do a shorter one going forward but no it's great everytime.