Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, gently caress man, at this point, I wish another Dragon Age game was out, even though only one of the three was actually any good.

I am intensely interested to know which one you think is the good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
If you want to beat up a small number of really big monsters with a lighthearted tone and a focus on co-op (with zero PvP stuff to worry about), then check out the Monster Hunter series. I'd start with World. Its combat is similar to Dark Souls and Code Vein, except you're fighting "bosses" the vast majority of the time. It's the type of lighthearted where your meals are prepared by choreographed smiling cats.

Monster Hunter Rise is the latest game, but I think World is a better thematic introduction to the series. Both are excellent and have cats.

Shine fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 12, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

If you want to beat up a small number of really big monsters with a lighthearted tone and a focus on co-op (with zero PvP stuff to worry about), then check out the Monster Hunter series. I'd start with World. Its combat is similar to Dark Souls and Code Vein, except you're fighting "bosses" the vast majority of the time. It's the type of lighthearted where your meals are prepared by choreographed smiling cats.

Monster Hunter Rise is the latest game, but I think World is a better thematic introduction to the series. Both are excellent and have cats.

I remember, ages ago, people telling me I'd really enjoy the Monster Hunter games on the basis that I enjoyed third-person action games. So I bought Monster Hunter Tri (I did say this was ages ago). I don't know if things have changed since then, but at least in that game there was almost zero structure. No story; it was just entirely "here's a zone, go into that zone, kill things, get stuff from their bodies, and use that stuff to craft better gear". Re-use the zone for a bunch of minimalist MMO-style quests (almost literally "OK, go kill N of this monster type inside this time limit" types of things), then eventually move to the next zone. I appreciated that it was a well-crafted game, but speaking personally, I needed more story and more frequent changes in scenery. Put another way, the grind was a bit too obvious.

I suspect it also works a lot better if you're playing co-op.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Much to most of the established fanbase's chagrin, MH:W introduced a lot more story elements including cutscenes that are long and unskippable the first time you watch them :v: But that's also part of what makes it the best introduction for new players to the series.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I really enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins when it was new. I thought the combat was very fun. I don't know if it would hold up today but at the time it was probably the best CRPG combat had ever been.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The first one was good. The second one was a travesty. The third one was bland, less than the sum of its parts.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ok carry on

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I remember, ages ago, people telling me I'd really enjoy the Monster Hunter games on the basis that I enjoyed third-person action games. So I bought Monster Hunter Tri (I did say this was ages ago). I don't know if things have changed since then, but at least in that game there was almost zero structure. No story; it was just entirely "here's a zone, go into that zone, kill things, get stuff from their bodies, and use that stuff to craft better gear". Re-use the zone for a bunch of minimalist MMO-style quests (almost literally "OK, go kill N of this monster type inside this time limit" types of things), then eventually move to the next zone. I appreciated that it was a well-crafted game, but speaking personally, I needed more story and more frequent changes in scenery. Put another way, the grind was a bit too obvious.

I suspect it also works a lot better if you're playing co-op.

The real appeal of monster hunter is in two parts

1) the fights can be very dynamic and cool as hell, especially in the newer ones, so it's a genuinely fun thing to do just to do
2) the progression is grindy but in a straightforward way. if you want a thing, you know exactly what you have to do to get that thing, and it's not just a 1 in 1000 drop from a raid boss

In other words for people who like the game, it has good enough gameplay that it is essentially a lobby mmo like phantasy star online, just arranged differently. The big thing is just that it's fun to play and the progression is "get thing by playing the game" and whatever you want in the game, you can reasonably expect to get it. Still, even up into Rise, I think people could easily just tell you it's a fun third person action game without considering that it's basically just a fun grind, but if you ask them if the game's progression includes a grind, they'd say yeah of course.

On the other hand, Tri was also my first attempt and I gave up after an hour, and came back for World and now I'm hooked as gently caress and every old player I've told that to says Tri sucked rear end

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
World was the first "mainstream" Monster Hunter title, and they did a bunch of stuff to make it more broadly appealing, while keeping the decade of iteration on the combat system intact. Lots of QoL improvements, more story structure and cutscenes, and in general more accessibility than the old titles.

That said, it's still Monster Hunter, so the gameplay loop is "run around the same six areas beating up monsters to make better weapons to beat up more monsters"; they just upped the production values (the game is GORGEOUS) and made the quest structure less obtuse.

As I mentioned when I gushed about the game in the Best Games Ever thread:

Shine posted:

tl;dr in Monster Hunter you can use a giant metal bagpipe to buff your teammates and wallop a dinosaur. Game of the decade.

https://i.imgur.com/Kq8cZUJ.mp4

Shine fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 12, 2022

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Shine posted:

As I mentioned when I gushed about the game in the Best Games Ever thread:

For anyone who wants their game to generate moments of extreme satisfaction, Monster Hunter is hard to beat. I'd say that for just general recommendation. A lot of the game is frustrating, especially at first, but I have something that can explain everything through a 17 second video with context.

My first Monster Hunter game that I gave a real honest try was World, and I saved the precise moment I was absolutely hooked. I have it on a video here and it's at the end of a 45 minute slog that I was not prepared for. I did not have the right gear to fight this thing, it was a shitload of tornadoes everywhere, and it was down to the wire on everything I had. I had an item that would give me a health buffer, but I already used it. The game already gave me the 5 minute warning a while back, and I had no idea how many more opportunities I would get. This had to be it. Maybe he's about to die. MAYBE THIS MOTHERFUCKER WON'T FLY AWAY OR KNOCK ME AROUND THIS TIME? Aw poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm-bDo-Un6w

And those moments are what this game delivers. That frustration you're feeling? It just makes the triumph that much sweeter

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

While I heartily recommend World, the PC port of Rise comes out in like six hours, so it'll be a good time to jump in with everyone else

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

While I heartily recommend World, the PC port of Rise comes out in like six hours, so it'll be a good time to jump in with everyone else

Agreed, however the expansion is slated for this summer which will be another good time to jump into Rise.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah Rise is an even better place to get in, too.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Word of warning though: while there's a transfer for some people, I failed at each attempt at getting into a MH game over the years, from Ds3 versions up to and including World. The control scheme and way you need to be constantly fiddling with buffs and weapon repair and crafting makes it extremely Not For Me. Also mostly-contextless dinosaur hunting is just... eh IMO. Souls games they ain't.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MonHun isn't Souls. The combat is much more complex and interesting.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Really the problem with Monhun for the request is that Monhun isn't just swing sword kill goblin, if the request was about killing tons of things in a short span of time. I'd say it's worth a look for anyone who wants high adventure 3rd person action fighting a big monster, and I promise if you just learn the controls you'll find they work well for the system they're in and how much they cover. As far as variety, there are 14 weapons that all play genuinely differently and I have played hundreds of hours spanning multiple games and I can only really say I'm good at a handful of them because there's depth and familiarity pays off big time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

World and Rise feature long, grueling fights with big dinos, a ton of environmental traps and gadgets to help create an unfair advantage and complex systems for each of the 14 weapons which take a long time to master. Gameplay revolves around learning each monster's behaviour, killing it several times so you can wear its skin and repeating the process with a tougher monster. Note that the grind is semi-optional - you really only need a couple pieces from each monster set, depending on your build and what skills/resistances are needed for the next fight. Best feature imo is you can call in help from other players when you need it in a really tough fight. Folks usually appear promptly and they are pretty chill and friendly.

The 20-minute boss fight is a love/hate thing. FWIW, its often compared to Dark Souls, but thats a little off-base since something about the move-sets and hitboxes make everything a little more... messy. Plus there are so many ways to re-set a fight with a little improvisation (wirebug/claw, mounting, traps, sling ammo, running away, etc).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Monster Hunter is kind of like a fighting game -- learning a weapon is like learning a character, and each monster presents a unique matchup with that weapon. You can play it like Dark Souls where you just learn the monster's attacks so you can avoid them and do a few weak hits in between animations, but you won't be playing the game well or be having a particularly good time.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
If they just want to run around an open world smacking things then would the Shadow of Mordor or AssCreed games be better?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Monster Hunter is basically a series that does away with trash mobs (for the most part, I guess there's some optional ones to cut through like a hot knife through butter to craft low-level gear) and just gives you hours of back-to-back boss fights. It's all about gathering, crafting or buying the materials required to tackle the next boss fight.

Fights take a long-rear end time and are about resource management + coming to grips with your weapon and gear (some weapons feel really sluggish because they have long animations and few cancels, others are a lot faster and more flexible).

I had an enjoyable time with them but only ever finished World, and even then, it was because my friends told me to get to the endgame ASAP so we could play together with postgame content.

EDIT: World and Rise both have a "story" of sorts but there's really not much story you can write around "hunt monster, craft gear, repeat". World is all about discovering and charting this new continent, Rise is all about defending your small cosy faux-Japanese hometown from a turbo stampede, but in the end there's only so many "And the monsters... Are afraid of an even bigger monster!!" twists you can pull before the player zones out

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 12, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played way too much MH:W (like hundreds of hours on both PC and PS4) but I've been pretty iffy on Rise - I bought it on Switch but just wasn't ready for a new MH game so I only did like 1 or 2 hunts before putting it down.

How necessary/how much focus is on the palico and the new dog companion? I got the impression that they're pretty important systems in Rise, but tbh I am just not interested in them and have never liked engaging with pet mechanics in games. I have 2 cats irl that I am totally obsessed with and I don't need virtual pets to replace them :colbert: I wasn't a fan of the grappling hook either but it's probably less clunky with mouse/keyboard than it was with Switch controls.

Also how much 'end game' content is there, like safi'jiva and uhh the big golden slug frog thing (Kulve'tiroth or something?) from World? I got really into farming those two in particular in World. Despite their random-drop weapons being so good that they invalidated weapon crafting for most weapons, it was nice to have a tough end-game monster I could fight that would quickly get me powerful weapons from other weapon classes to experiment with.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 12, 2022

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

How solo-able are MH:W and Rise? (And are they pause-able in solo?) I used to love MH but was always bummed that everything was scaled to multiplayer so there'd be content that's nearly impossible to see when you're playing on your own. Not that I dislike multiplayer, but I can't realistically do that any more when I could be interrupted by kids/work at any moment.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Genpei Turtle posted:

How solo-able are MH:W and Rise? (And are they pause-able in solo?) I used to love MH but was always bummed that everything was scaled to multiplayer so there'd be content that's nearly impossible to see when you're playing on your own.

wdym everything. Pre-world, there were even explicitly "city" quests (mostly story quests) you couldn't even do in multiplayer and were obviously only scaled to 1 person. And then there were separate gathering hall quests, who were only doable from the multiplayer hub and were scaled to multiple people (but could be entered solo if you were insane or really bored).

IIRC World did away with the distinction and made every quest multiplayer-able, and just dynamically scaled monsters up when people joined your session. Not sure it scaled them back down if people left (probably not to prevent cheesing), but if you enter a mission solo, everything's gonna be scaled to singleplayer. Barring some special exceptions like certain superbosses.

edit: also the multiplayer in world is way more modular, people can just drop into your hunt 15 minutes in just to play around for 5 minutes and then leave again, it's not a gigantic commitment anymore

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

It's that time again where I come around looking for game recommendations. SA's GOTY 2021 FFXIV Endwalker has been sucking up all my time but I'm finally settling into a post expansion routine and am looking for something else to play around with.

I've brought this up before, but I feel like your classic hack-n-slash RPGs aren't really that popular anymore, and that sucks. I want something where I can just roam around and fight stuff with swords and magic. Witcher 3, naturally, is one of my favorite games of all time. I know it is bad, but I also loved Kingdoms of Amalur, just because the combat was fun and mindless. I do not like Dynasty Warriors-style games.

Diablo 3 is fun enough, but I prefer more behind-the-back/over-the-shoulder style gameplay more than isometric.

I didn't like Hades as much as I wish I did. It's a good game, but just didn't have enough variety for me.

Despite really liking Code Vein, I don't like Souls games because they give me intense anxiety. And I'm just looking for some "push button, swing sword, kill goblin" action.

I mean, gently caress man, at this point, I wish another Dragon Age game was out, even though only one of the three was actually any good.

I'm looking for anything on either PC or Switch.

Both pretty bare-bones port jobs, but there’s Torchlight 2 and the remaster of Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance. Not going to say they’re “great” but they satisfy the brainless smash monsters get loot part of your request.

Come to think of it, there’s not very much ARPG stuff out there that has a genuine ARPG mold in that particular style that’s not also top-down isometric. I don’t count Warframe and the like, since the shitload of extraneous systems make them distinct.

Anyway they don’t meet your camera requirement, so eh. But they’re there.

Oh, and I hear the updated reboot of the BG Dark Alliance series is hot garbage. Can’t verify that, but buyer beware if you see it.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

thekeeshman posted:

If they just want to run around an open world smacking things then would the Shadow of Mordor or AssCreed games be better?

Keeping in mind that the most recent AssCreed I've played is Origins: The sneaky-sneaky fighting is about the same for both, but for loud fights Shadow are superior. As for the running around part, I would also say Shadow; the running itself is more active, and stops on the way are more organic than 'There is a collectable here'

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

HenryEx posted:

wdym everything. Pre-world, there were even explicitly "city" quests (mostly story quests) you couldn't even do in multiplayer and were obviously only scaled to 1 person. And then there were separate gathering hall quests, who were only doable from the multiplayer hub and were scaled to multiple people (but could be entered solo if you were insane or really bored).

IIRC World did away with the distinction and made every quest multiplayer-able, and just dynamically scaled monsters up when people joined your session. Not sure it scaled them back down if people left (probably not to prevent cheesing), but if you enter a mission solo, everything's gonna be scaled to singleplayer. Barring some special exceptions like certain superbosses.

edit: also the multiplayer in world is way more modular, people can just drop into your hunt 15 minutes in just to play around for 5 minutes and then leave again, it's not a gigantic commitment anymore

"Everything" might be an exaggeration, but from what I played (mostly MH4G on 3DS) the solo content was pretty sparse. Almost everything that was High or G-rank was strictly gated behind the multiplayer hub. For various reasons I was usually unable to go online and IIRC I only managed to make it to G2 rank before hunts became impossible to finish solo. So there were a few G3-level monsters I never got to see. If I pick up another MH game it'd be nice to know that's not an issue any more.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

thekeeshman posted:

Or Batman Arkham City?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

"Everything" might be an exaggeration, but from what I played (mostly MH4G on 3DS) the solo content was pretty sparse. Almost everything that was High or G-rank was strictly gated behind the multiplayer hub. For various reasons I was usually unable to go online and IIRC I only managed to make it to G2 rank before hunts became impossible to finish solo. So there were a few G3-level monsters I never got to see. If I pick up another MH game it'd be nice to know that's not an issue any more.

The newer two games scale everything to the number of players, to the point where any difficult fight is usually easier solo than with public matchmaking

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

How necessary/how much focus is on the palico and the new dog companion? I got the impression that they're pretty important systems in Rise, but tbh I am just not interested in them and have never liked engaging with pet mechanics in games. I have 2 cats irl that I am totally obsessed with and I don't need virtual pets to replace them :colbert: I wasn't a fan of the grappling hook either but it's probably less clunky with mouse/keyboard than it was with Switch controls.

Not much. They're mostly just helpful, you don't have to feed them after every hunt or anything dumb like that. You can send a group of them out every five hunts to get more stuff but that's the same as in world. Riding a canyne around is fun.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
If shooting/exploding/spacemagicking lots of things counts the campaign of Outriders is really underappreciated imo.

It also has a very interesting world tier system which basically is a scale off your own level. It does not even stunt your loot that much so you can pick anything from HAHAH TAKE THAT to HOLY poo poo THIS loving BOSS, whatever suits your mood.

Missions are seldom longer than 15 mins so easily droppable as well.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Recommend me a game of the adventure/strategy sort where you begin a lowly worm and accrue a ragtag band of followers while exploring and/or fighting, eventually becoming a mighty force.
eg. Starsector, Mount and Blade, (lesser extent) Battle Brothers

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

goodnight mooned posted:

Recommend me a game of the adventure/strategy sort where you begin a lowly worm and accrue a ragtag band of followers while exploring and/or fighting, eventually becoming a mighty force.

Wasteland 3

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 15, 2022

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

That's a linear RPG, I believe? I'm looking for something sandbox, I should have specified.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've never played Kenshi but it seems well liked

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

goodnight mooned posted:

Patapon.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

goodnight mooned posted:

That's a linear RPG, I believe? I'm looking for something sandbox, I should have specified.

Battletech. It has a narrative campaign, but also a career mode where you just get to be a mercenary company.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Battletech. It has a narrative campaign, but also a career mode where you just get to be a mercenary company.

I'll second this for a more sandbox game. Even with the narrative campaign, what you're really doing is assembling your ragtag crew and managing your company until you're strong enough to tackle the next scripted objective. It's pretty involved, there's a pretty good amount of depth in both the management side and the combat side, and yeah, you're pretty much just building up to be the most badass crew.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I own but haven’t yet played Sands of Salzaar which I understand is like that but mixed with Dynasty Warriors. Apparently it has a bit of jank and the English translation needs work but I’ve heard good things about the gameplay. RPS had a positive review for it.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Phetz posted:

I own but haven’t yet played Sands of Salzaar which I understand is like that but mixed with Dynasty Warriors. Apparently it has a bit of jank and the English translation needs work but I’ve heard good things about the gameplay. RPS had a positive review for it.

It is kind of like a worse, top down control mount and blade. I think the RPS review was a bit overly positive maybe. It’s not terrible or anything, but it was hard to feel like I shouldn’t just be playing bannerlord instead 🤷🏻‍♂️. Worth a shot if you just want to try more stuff in the genre tho.

On the subject, Freemen is warband with guns. Good if you like the genre, but not as good as bannerlord or star sector imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Space Pirates and Zombies 1 or 2 could scratch that itch. There is a storyline to get through so you won't get 100 hours out of it but basically you have to run around some galaxy fighting off pirates, zombies, and zombie pirates to build up a large enough fleet to take on the big bad at the end.