Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

A delicious slice of cake for our efforts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

dammit, developers, you can't just name everything in the game by turning words backwards, that's not how naming works!!!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
pondering my shard

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Devs of this game really loved backwards names huh?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Nilbog???!!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
That sure was a death animation alright.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's wild that this is the best of the zelda cf-i games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game brought EX moves, special move canceling, and comeback super mechanics to Street Fighter so its got that, you know, at least.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wait

Is the reason literally every screen in the Zelda CDI games had unique music because the loving CDI can't carry sound across loading zones?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait

Is the reason literally every screen in the Zelda CDI games had unique music because the loving CDI can't carry sound across loading zones?

;)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

"Actor that plays Gaspra wasn't even an old man, he just wore a wig, he was like 30"

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Barudak posted:

Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game brought EX moves, special move canceling, and comeback super mechanics to Street Fighter so its got that, you know, at least.

The game is legitimately fun
Jank and stupid as all hell sure. But fun and charming with silly poo poo like SLAMMASTER

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait

yep it has to start the track over every time

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait

The CD-I was a very VERY special system.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

"Findo": A real Disenchantment elf name

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Philips CD-I was also intended to play graphics off of special CDs compatible with it. So you could listen to [popular band] and see some grainy, 240p digitized photos slowly load onto screen while listening.

I think its good to think of the Phillips CD-I as an attempt to make a hi-fi cabinet into a gaming console.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Equip money to use money

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
You have to equip your money to spend it... Zelda CD-I games just keep on giving.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

He's describing how they filmed people on treadmills and made claymation monsters and it's, like, that seems like a huge amount of effort for a waaaaay worse result than just...doing art, like all the other Zelda games. Even the other CD-I Zelda games! It's baffling.

e: was it some kinda cost-saving thing? I refuse to believe that anybody intentionally made this look like this

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Shoenin posted:

Equip money to use money

You know what they say, you have to equip money to spend money.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

He's describing how they filmed people on treadmills and made claymation monsters and it's, like, that seems like a huge amount of effort for a waaaaay worse result than just...doing art, like all the other Zelda games. Even the other CD-I Zelda games! It's baffling.

I mean if the game was good that kind of effort would be looked at as going as the extra mile.

Unfortunately the extra mile was downhill into a flooded chasm of sewage.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

The 90's was all about using MODERN TECHNOLOGY and hook people into buying STATE OF THE ART tech CD consoles such as the CD-i, 3D0 and Jaguar.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
holy gently caress the sliding sprite

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

And finally when there's music it's a horrible mishmash of strings and trumpets and circus music.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

e: was it some kinda cost-saving thing? I refuse to believe that anybody intentionally made this look like this

Doom 1 did this and a lot of games tried to copy its art not understanding why it worked in Doom.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
oh god hit an enemy straight up for almost 2 minutes

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ah good, anxiety clown music is just what the run needed

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I knew about this game (I actually own it) but still this doesn't stop making me laugh.

I should probably sell it since it's worth a fortune now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shoenin posted:

oh god hit an enemy straight up for almost 2 minutes

The face I made was

Blockhouse posted:

holy gently caress the sliding sprite

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
*cursed circus music for 5 seconds*
*loading screen for 5 seconds*
*cursed circus music for 5 seconds*

:aaaaa:

Oh wait, and now 1:40 seconds of this music...

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

the one track that gets to play for any amount of time is this hosed-up carnival music one :lol:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
This is not how I remembered the Asylum Demon fight.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Its dead!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonna laugh if that thing respawns

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

finally, it's done

oh goddammit the music starts and starts for every room, hahahahaha

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

the one track that gets to play for any amount of time is this hosed-up carnival music one :lol:

Zelda CD-I is truly cursed. Also laser beam wizards.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
So much lovely 90s photo manipulation energy from this game, not just the photo-sprites but the backgrounds that look like they were assembled in an early version of Photoshop by someone who has no idea what they were doing

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

The true Zelda experience: standing inside an upside down paper bag, dodging around fruit cups to throw knives at men in dollar store jawa costumes.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
The music, it gets worse... Help...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

IMJack posted:

So much lovely 90s photo manipulation energy from this game, not just the photo-sprites but the backgrounds that look like they were assembled in an early version of Photoshop by someone who has no idea what they were doing

3 dixie cups in a sandpit and a ball is the pinnacle of graphics