Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Deranged twat he may be but he did actually succeed in getting the Today programme to have a debate about whether the main entrance to their studios should have a paedophile’s statue of an old man fondling a naked boy directly above it
Did they suggest that a point in it's favour is that, a bit like a pharmacist's cross or a pawnbroker's balls, it's a good illustration of what's going on inside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

Did they suggest that a point in it's favour is that, a bit like a pharmacist's cross or a pawnbroker's balls, it's a good illustration of what's going on inside?

One contributor was so keen to separate the art from the artist that I thought she might suggest BBC4 starts rerunning Jim’ll Fix It

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

smellmycheese posted:

Deranged twat he may be but he did actually succeed in getting the Today programme to have a debate about whether the main entrance to their studios should have a paedophile’s statue of an old man fondling a naked boy directly above it
I mean, lol, but honestly I'm not comfortable with it:

wrt (e.g.) the Colston statue, any fucker that defends that thing is a loving racist and can get to gently caress. Shifting the discourse to statues by a bad person turns it round to a whole separation of the art from the artist thing, making it easier for people to chin-strokingly conclude that destroying statues is bad, and then generalise that (without critical thought) to statues that very definitely should be hosed off.

Sincerely don't give a gently caress about the nonce statue, honestly you'd hope given recent events that the BBC of all people would have quietly moved it, but I predict we're gonna hear a lot of "oh you oppose literally glorifying slavery yet you own a Mayhem CD, hypocrite much :smug:" from liberals in the near future

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Didn't the statue smashing come shortly after a group of people were complaining about the BBC being transphobic? Did this guy offer an explanation for his actions yet, because given his politics I'm not sure what his reasoning was supposed to be.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 13, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

pawn is stored in the balls

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Supposedly way back people would refer to public houses by a mashup of who owned them and the picture sign outside, like "that's Samson's Inn with the sign of the Plough and Horses" so perhaps they can keep the statue as long as they announce the news with "This is BBC Old Bearded Man Fiddling A Naked Child News At One"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

I call this story “statue of limitations”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well at least they aren't bowing to the woke mob and their ideas that everyone has to believe in these days.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I for one welcome this new approach by the BBC and look forward to them also broadcasting alternative views on such topics as the holocaust, 9/11 truth, and qanon.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I look forward to going on air and putting forward my defense of communism

... oh I'm being told that's not allowed?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

I for one welcome this new approach by the BBC and look forward to them also broadcasting alternative views on such topics as the holocaust, 9/11 truth, and qanon.
They used to have historian turned disgraced anus David Irving on the BBC, and it seems like they're forgetting why they stopped doing that, so maybe they will.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What shape do flat earthers think the moon is? And the sun? And all the other planets, are we the only flat one?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Finally David Starkey can return to the airwaves and explain in more detail his theory of 'how the whites have become black'.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What shape do flat earthers think the moon is? And the sun? And all the other planets, are we the only flat one?

Check out this one, thinking the moon is real :smuggo:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Surprisingly there is no concensus. Some think that the sun and moon are equally sized spotlights illuminating different sections of the earth's disc. Others believe that only the earth is flat and that spheres are the norm everywhere else. There is however a disappointing lack of consistency.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They are just holes in the blanket of space that let through the light of Heaven.

Duh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Finally David Starkey can return to the airwaves and explain in more detail his theory of 'how the whites have become black'.
Does the answer involve morris dancing?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
They're just paper disks moving around the plane of so-called sky above us on wires controlled by lizards.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Very much enjoying the Government throwing the Scottish Tories under the bus to save Boris. It's great content.

https://twitter.com/GlennBBC/status/1481553400449875970

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
It's all a hologram put up there to create personal domes with different stars in, like in that Truman show movie.

Why are they doing that? To make us feel small and pointless and un-special you see.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

In spite of the unrelenting consistency that spans the rest of the flat earth movement, these areas may have inconsistent answers.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My favourite flat earth theory is that the earth's disc is traveling constantly upwards in space (like an elevator) which causes the effect of gravity.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

My favourite flat earth theory is that the earth's disc is traveling constantly upwards in space (like an elevator) which causes the effect of gravity.
(& endlessly accelerating at a constant rate, which is why things accelerate when they fall)

My favourite is the corollary to this, when you ask "if there's no gravity, how come tides &c": there are such things as gravitational forces, which exist in other celestial bodies & cause the tides & things that you can see, but just not on earth, because that wouldn't make any sense if the earth is flat, which it is

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think you could model a flat earth if you assumed spacetime itself followed a hyperbolic geometry, in a similar way to how you could model a geocentric solar system and it makes the maths a little easier for astrology but much harder for anything useful.

Flat earthers aren't interested in creating a coherent mathematical model though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Flat earth models can be legitimately fascinating, in the same way early models of the earth and universe in historical models can be, but man do they just fall apart so quickly when you prod them even a bit. Like at least the historic models they weren't working off that much information. Another main similarity being, historical models have, oh this weird thing I can't account for, god did it, and flat earther it's "oh massive world wide elitist conspiracy!".

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

dr_rat posted:

Flat earth models can be legitimately fascinating, in the same way early models of the earth and universe in historical models can be, but man do they just fall apart so quickly when you prod them even a bit. Like at least the historic models they weren't working off that much information. Another main similarity being, historical models have, oh this weird thing I can't account for, god did it, and flat earther it's "oh massive world wide elitist conspiracy!".

It's a massive world wide elitist conspiracy to hide the existence of God.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

''De Chelonian Mobile!'' Never forget! :science:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

God failed basic physics. :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

''De Chelonian Mobile!'' Never forget! :science:

I suspect Pterry must have been listening to Penguin Cafe Orchestra when he settled on that translation

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/JohnFinnemore/status/1481554112776974336

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I once tried to figure out how a flat world, generally, would actually work absent fantastical elements like giant turtles and actual magic. First I think you have to assume that gravity is just always universally downwards, and even that was so difficult to think about that I just sort of stopped.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Borrovan posted:

Sincerely don't give a gently caress about the nonce statue, honestly you'd hope given recent events that the BBC of all people would have quietly moved it, but I predict we're gonna hear a lot of "oh you oppose literally glorifying slavery yet you own a Mayhem CD, hypocrite much :smug:" from liberals in the near future

I don't think they can, its a listed building isn't it?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Whenever Boris hears Sue Gray he's picturing Sue Gray MBE.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

https://twitter.com/FlatEarthOrg/status/935644892721762305?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't think they can, its a listed building isn't it?

Just do what they do in Glasgow, have an entirely convenient but accidental honestly fire.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1481587783131181058

The fact that these ghouls are having to say such utter bullshit is darkly amusing to me.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dabir posted:

I once tried to figure out how a flat world, generally, would actually work absent fantastical elements like giant turtles and actual magic. First I think you have to assume that gravity is just always universally downwards, and even that was so difficult to think about that I just sort of stopped.

Honestly it's a pretty interesting thought experiment to run through, just to try and think about other ways things could be. Like it's always good to think outside the box. One solution to gravity not always being down wards is like a reverse cone shape, with the 'flat earth' being at the bottom. Now, have fun trying to figure out ways that could work!

It's sort of like those youtube videos where physicists look at Warhammer 40K planets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WT68z4RxVA or Marvel planets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-i2ZHddrM4 and trying to figure out what's going on. Sure it's going to be mostly garbage that doesn't work, but it can end up pretty interesting figuring out exactly why.

Although yeah this is all bored rainy day stuff. Not actual science stuff.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I don't understand flat earth people, what is the motive? Who cares? To what nefarious ends would we be being lied to? Why are you going to such lengths to make this theory a thing despite the mountain of evidence against it? Why is this even a thing? What's the best case endgame? Ok so you proved the world is flat, what of it? How does that make a difference to anything in most people's lives? What are you hoping to achieve?

My partner gets a real kick out of flat earthed poo poo but I find it incredibly boring because it feels like the laziest conspiracy theory for the sake of conspiracy theory poo poo, at least QAnoners and 9/11 truthers and, hell, even people saying Avril Lavigne was replaced are trying to say something about systems of power and control and class.

forkboy84 posted:

Just do what they do in Glasgow, have an entirely convenient but accidental honestly fire.

I cannot emphasise enough how hilariously, obviously sus Glasgow is when it comes to property developers getting inexplicably lucky on the back of completely random fires.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 13, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I remember listening to wrestler Chris Jericho's podcast and he generally had a bunch of different people on to air a wide range of views.
In one podcast he had two flat earthers on*
And apart from the fact that the two flat earthers couldn't fully agree on all the details (and would often when asked to explain things give an answer that sounded plausible until you started thinking about it. Then just say "go view this video on YouTube, it explains it better than I could.")
I think the main idea was

• The Earth is flat.
  • But we are surrounded by an Ice Shell.
  • Past the Ice Shell is where the stars are. and they are just balls of gas and light.
  • Also the Earth is hallow and the real Earth is in this hallow Earth, which I guess is underneath the flat Earth.
  • This is being done by " the Elites" to control us and limit us from accessing our true godlike powers.
  • "The elites" are all powerful and control everything. But they have to make you do what they want and provide cryptic clues in advance because they are all the Riddler, I guess.

Oh and you can tell that Jericho had to cutoff the guests before they could say that the Elited were Jews.

Funnily enough he had them back on in early 2020 to talk about how Covid was a false flag by the Elites to control us, and healthy people who only eat meat will be fine.
Then by the next episode lockdowns were happening and he had a real doctor on to give good health advice and said the guys from the precious show were idiots.

*= Who kept calling people who believed in a round Earth "ballers." And frankly when your derogatory term for the people who don't believe what you believe makes them sound cooler than you, you are on to a losing streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's interesting how you used to get all these clergy scientists like Andrew Gordon and Ányos Jedlik who were all "God's hidden all this magic in the universe and if we can figure His message out then life will be awesome, hey look this invisible force made a wire move how cool is that?" and now you have brainlets claiming that NASA hid God in the Antarctic because they're all pedophiles.