Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ok for real whos your team
This poll is closed.
The Green Bay Packers 81 35.53%
The Chicago Bears 52 22.81%
The Minnesota Vikings 42 18.42%
The Detroit Lions 53 23.25%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Styles Bitchley posted:

This is such a tired take.

The Colts mismanaged Andrew Luck's injuries and killed one of the most promising quarterback careers of all time. Meanwhile Calvin was paid handsomely to catch footballs, paid so much in fact the team was restricted from putting better pieces around. He didn't "put his body on the line" any more than many other players, many players who were never paid that much. The Lions put Calvin Johnson in the hall of fame. I'd argue if he was on a competent team he wouldn't be first ballot, and a competent team wouldn't have paid him that much for years and years and crippled their own cap. So the Lions, in their ineptitude, literally made him as rich as possible and as famous as possible. And he hates them now because they won't pay an unearned 1/100th of his career earnings in a signing bonus after he breached his contract.

Lions front office handled this poorly, but they later tried to patch this up and basically offered him a "job" to get over a million dollars to sign autographs or some poo poo so they could by league rules just hand him this money and he was too petty to even do that.

Yeah man, you're entitled to your opinion but I just can't agree with this. It was blatant how much his body took a beating during his time. Calvin Johnson put Calvin Johnson in the hall of fame (with help of Matt Stafford throwing to him 90% of the time which contributed to the aforementioned beating) He would've been a monster on a competitive team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

This is like the dumbest take. I wanna dunk on it, but I worry that this is some kind of :thejoke:, because truly someone isn't THIS stupid. Truly

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Guze posted:

His dad brought Favre, Holmgren and Reggie White to Green Bay.

Sure but Eliot worked for the Packers for like 15 years, starting after when his dad retired. He just missed out getting the Packers GM position but Gute got it instead.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Won't somebody think of the poor downtrodden owners being bullied by the mean players :sad:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Guze posted:

His dad brought Favre, Holmgren and Reggie White to Green Bay.

Oh god, this is how we got Stan Bowman!
:ohdear:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/1481632054630572034

:sigh: well, maybe someday.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Give them man a few dealerships or "invest" in his pot business. Just pay him back already jesus.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

If the Lions didn’t want to pay the rest of Calvin Johnson’s contract, they could have traded him or cut him, which is what I think he wanted in the first place.

They didn’t want him playing for another team, and they took his leverage (which was legally their right to do, so not really great leverage).

Stafford’s the first star player they let go. Barry and Calvin were basically forced to retire or keep playing for the Lions.

Gee, I wonder what the difference is between Stafford versus Barry and Calvin? :thunk:

OH MY GOD CRITICAL RACE THEORY IS REAL!!!

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Obviously, things are not so rancorous that Calvin and Lions ownership can't patch things up.

Sheila seems open to patching things up, he isn't barred from the facilities, nor is he compelled to stay away from them.

I also heard that she proposed paying him if he did some basic public events (to satisfy NFL rules) and he declined that. I don't know how true that is, because I think he knows they can't just give him the money. They have to do some performative thing to look like they're paying him for that.

Dan should try and recruit him to the coaching staff. Agree on a compensation, and then Sheila can tack on another 1.6 million to the contract.

That way he is being compensated for his work at a price he agreed, plus getting the extra money.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

If the Lions didn’t want to pay the rest of Calvin Johnson’s contract, they could have traded him or cut him, which is what I think he wanted in the first place.

They didn’t want him playing for another team, and they took his leverage (which was legally their right to do, so not really great leverage).

Stafford’s the first star player they let go. Barry and Calvin were basically forced to retire or keep playing for the Lions.

Gee, I wonder what the difference is between Stafford versus Barry and Calvin? :thunk:

OH MY GOD CRITICAL RACE THEORY IS REAL!!!

Perhaps one difference with Stafford is new owner, new regime and the stink of the Calvin situation leading them to do the right thing.

Quinn, Patricia and Woods are all idiots and they handled the Calvin thing in the worst possible way. They refused to budge and he retired. They got nothing for him, they should have worked a trade, but they're idiots.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Danny LaFever posted:

Obviously, things are not so rancorous that Calvin and Lions ownership can't patch things up.

Sheila seems open to patching things up, he isn't barred from the facilities, nor is he compelled to stay away from them.

I also heard that she proposed paying him if he did some basic public events (to satisfy NFL rules) and he declined that. I don't know how true that is, because I think he knows they can't just give him the money. They have to do some performative thing to look like they're paying him for that.

Dan should try and recruit him to the coaching staff. Agree on a compensation, and then Sheila can tack on another 1.6 million to the contract.

That way he is being compensated for his work at a price he agreed, plus getting the extra money.

I think the issue was they offered to pay him exactly what was owed to do a bunch of new work. To him that means doing more work to get paid what he is already owed. They should probably pay him additional money on top of what is owed.

Also yeah, I think he pegged Bob Quinn for a moron immediately and wanted out.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 13, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Scipiotik posted:

Also yeah, I think he pegged Bob Quinn for a moron immediately and wanted out.

Nah, 2015 was always going to be his last season. The man was tired and hurting.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Sheila Ford Hamp and Brad Holmes vs. Sheila's dumbfuck parents and whatever mediocre piece of poo poo front office was in charge at the time.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Styles Bitchley posted:

I'd argue if he was on a competent team he wouldn't be first ballot, and a competent team wouldn't have paid him that much for years and years and crippled their own cap.

Incredible post, this was probably my favorite part, keep up the good work

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Meanwhile Nate Burleson has to work 6 jobs now smh

https://twitter.com/misterandyd/status/1481636304349634566

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mercilus was a huge part of why the Packers had that stretch of mid-season strong defensive performance (Arizona, Kansas City, Seattle), so really good to see him back.

https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1481666626995068932

Za'Darius, Alexander, Mercilus on defense and Bakhtiari, Myers, and Cobb on offense. Lookin' good for the playoffs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Styles Bitchley posted:

Matt Nagy is gone, now I don't know who to be.

So you chose to be a Ford?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Mercilus was a huge part of why the Packers had that stretch of mid-season strong defensive performance (Arizona, Kansas City, Seattle), so really good to see him back.

Za'Darius, Alexander, Mercilus on defense and Bakhtiari, Myers, and Cobb on offense. Lookin' good for the playoffs.

:stare: What the gently caress, I thought Mercilus wouldn't be able to play until training camp next year.

edit: We're absolutely going to get popped for steroids at some point in the next year.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 13, 2022

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

surf rock posted:

:stare: What the gently caress, I thought Mercilus wouldn't be able to play until training camp next year.

When you’re getting up in age and you have a shot at a Super Bowl…

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
lol if you think they test for steroids anymore

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Styles Bitchley posted:

This is such a tired take.

The Colts mismanaged Andrew Luck's injuries and killed one of the most promising quarterback careers of all time. Meanwhile Calvin was paid handsomely to catch footballs, paid so much in fact the team was restricted from putting better pieces around. He didn't "put his body on the line" any more than many other players, many players who were never paid that much. The Lions put Calvin Johnson in the hall of fame. I'd argue if he was on a competent team he wouldn't be first ballot, and a competent team wouldn't have paid him that much for years and years and crippled their own cap. So the Lions, in their ineptitude, literally made him as rich as possible and as famous as possible. And he hates them now because they won't pay an unearned 1/100th of his career earnings in a signing bonus after he breached his contract.

Lions front office handled this poorly, but they later tried to patch this up and basically offered him a "job" to get over a million dollars to sign autographs or some poo poo so they could by league rules just hand him this money and he was too petty to even do that.

Imagine going back to your old job to clean to toilets just so you can get a sizeable paycheck that your lovely manager already owes you for work you previously did, but didn’t pay you because he wanted to cash in on some dumb tax loophole.

Like lol, it’s his money. He shouldn’t have to do more meaningless labour just to earn back money he’s already owed. Regardless of how much money he’s been paid already.

Apples McGrind fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 13, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean isn’t the money the rest of the contract which he didn’t get because he retired

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Apples McGrind posted:

Imagine going back to your old job to clean to toilets just so you can get a sizeable paycheck that your lovely manager already owes you for work you previously did, but didn’t pay you because he wanted to cash in on some dumb tax loophole.

Like lol, it’s his money. He shouldn’t have to do more meaningless labour just to earn back money he’s already owed. Regardless of how much money he’s been paid already.

I can't tell if you're just parroting a lot of dumb poo poo other uninformed people have said or don't understand how a basic business contract works.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean isn’t the money the rest of the contract which he didn’t get because he retired

hhhmm, could such a thing even be possible?

no, it's the owners who are wrong

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

surf rock posted:

edit: We're absolutely going to get popped for steroids at some point in the next year.

https://twitter.com/Merci380/status/1481706191558479874

Apparently it's a Medical Machine.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Putting aside if he deserves the money or not I don't understand the "They can't pay him because of rules" take. What's stopping them from just cutting him a check if they wanted to, either from the team for some kind of made up goodwill ambassador role or just a personal check from an owner? I could walk outside right now and give the first person I see a check for all my money, there is no rule stopping me.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Uhh the NFL

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
To break this down as simply as possible, since apparently some people still don't get it:

Let's say you pay a kid to cut your lawn during the summer, and pay him $50 in advance every week. He works hard and doesn't complain, even after there was an unfortunate accident that sent him to the hospital for a couple of days. He does this for a couple years, and even though your house looks like poo poo and the driveway needs to be repaved, the lawn always looks immaculate. Neighbors come from around the block to compliment it in this increasingly tortured metaphor.

Kid decides he's quitting in the middle of the week. Maybe he's going to school, or he found a better job, whatever. You already paid him for the full week, but instead of letting him keep the change, you come over to his house and ask him politely yet firmly to fork over the $19.64 balance. Later, when you hold a garden party to promote your new... I dunno, fancy gazebo or something, you invite the kid, and are surprised when he turns you down—he doesn't want anything to do with you or your lawn until you pay him back the $19.64 you took out of his wallet. You offer him the cash in return for housesitting for a day, but he turns it down—he's not opposed to doing work for you in the future, but he's not going to do work for money he feels is already owed.

That's what the situation is. It has never been about the actual dollar amount itself—it was about the Lions shaking him down for cash they had already paid him, for a comparatively paltry sum. And the thing is, Johnson doesn't need the money, or the Lions—it's the Lions who want him to do things for them, and the onus is on them to do what it takes to make him happy.

Is it petty? A bit, sure—but certainly no more petty than what the organization already did to him.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Putting aside if he deserves the money or not I don't understand the "They can't pay him because of rules" take. What's stopping them from just cutting him a check if they wanted to, either from the team for some kind of made up goodwill ambassador role or just a personal check from an owner? I could walk outside right now and give the first person I see a check for all my money, there is no rule stopping me.

It's an NFL rule to prevent teams from wriggling around the cap by underpaying vets and promising massive payouts after they retire. So if the Lions just cut a check the NFL would probably count it against the cap or instill some other kind of penalty.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

And another thing, why is he getting paid so much to play a kid's game? Why, I would do it for free!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Isn’t that basically the pro giving him his money argument?

Sure he has a contract by Meh I like the guy so who cares

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i would do a lot of things for a paltry 1.6mil, up to and including pretending to be an island boy on tiktok for a day

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

SKULL.GIF posted:

Good lord I thought he tore his bicep way earlier in the season

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Athletic has a good, long piece on how the Bears have been unable to get the GM, HC and QB in sync for over two decades. Here it is in PDF form (19 pages!): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b8hpcolkIcLhND-KIPWW0ainXavASst-/view?usp=sharing

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The Athletic has a good, long piece on how the Bears have been unable to get the GM, HC and QB in sync for over two decades. Here it is in PDF form (19 pages!): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b8hpcolkIcLhND-KIPWW0ainXavASst-/view?usp=sharing

brutal read

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

This is the TA link if you have a subscription: https://theathletic.com/3069761/202...-regimes-trash/

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Isnt Athletic being bought by the Times? I think that makes it a moral imperative to start pirating it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MJeff posted:

Isnt Athletic being bought by the Times? I think that makes it a moral imperative to start pirating it.

I fully agree but I also have a subscription that doesn't expire for another 8 months :cheeky:

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Yeah, I'm legitimately pIssed that I am supporting the NYT now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BFRMedia/status/1482021446155218951

https://twitter.com/BearsNationCHI/status/1482016596285849604

ahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahaha

The pure disrespect shown to the NVP by Matt Nagy

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 14, 2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hizawk posted:

Yeah, I'm legitimately pIssed that I am supporting the NYT now.

If it's any consolation, if you paid upfront before the acquisition the NYT probably won't see any of that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Wow, the second one makes me think of how Foles has been quoted a couple times saying that the offense simply doesn’t work.

It’s going to be hilarious if Trubisky ends up doing well on another team. (I don’t think that will really happen.)