Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

keep punching joe posted:

My favourite pseudo-historical conspiracy theory is the Biblical flood/comet impact theory. In which a comet strikes the earth 10,000 years ago, causing catastrophic global flooding and resetting an advanced/global civilization back to stone age times. And big archaeology is suppressing this for... well I dunno... reasons.

I think I pretty much believe it though. It seems fairly benign at least, and reminds me of the plot of chrono trigger.

It's a fascinating theory that I kinda believe too, apart from the conspiracy aspects of it being suppressed. There's some very interesting archeological evidence for it, and of course there is some pure grade quackery that claims the prior civilization was hyper advanced and had psychic powers, appearing to be gods to those that came after. It's just fiction and attempts to stay relevant (see quack-in-chief Graham Hancock) masquerading as some kind of indie science.

Deketh fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
If you're that desperate for proof go full geowizard and travel forever in an exactly straight line and see where you end up

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

happyhippy posted:

This is true. Flat Earthers love debating people with their own level of science, and mostly to make fun of them when they can't explain the same poo poo they do not understand.
When they get a true scientist, the personal insults start.

Professor Dave has some epic videos showing the world is round without science:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bHqBy92iGM

His 10 Challenges to Flat Earthers is good as well.

Edit: Flat Earthers are the more sane part of the knob head brigade. There's the Mud Flooders which believe there was a massive flood just a few hundred years ago, wiped everything out, and its being covered up.
Then you have the ones that think most stone structures are dead giants.

Maybe I’m thick as poo poo but I don’t really follow the logic in that video at all. If the earth is a flat disc of radius 40,000km and the moon is a ball that orbits roughly above the “equator” at a distance of 400,000km, the angle to the moon would be 0 degrees at the equator and about 1.4 degrees at either pole, so while each person would technically have different views of the moon, the actual difference would be tiny, we’d be talking about a crescent shaped area something like 42 miles wide at its widest point, which our observers would be seeing at a near-tangent, making the unique areas each observer could see an utterly minuscule fraction of the visible moon, so much so that any picture of the moon from the poles should look almost identical to a picture of the moon from the equator.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Mud flood:

Like many other conspiracy theories (flat earth, space lizards, NWO) it's a mixture of "my country best" and "old stuff is better than new stuff" with a dash of "it couldn't possibly be that imperialism and fascism hosed up most of the 20th century in horrific ways, here's what really happened"

Interesting that the "old stuff" is mostly late Victorian/fin de siècle in this case, when that era was full of (often overtly nationalist or antisemitic) conspiracies about how all their new stuff was degenerate and terrible and the glory of pre-Revolutionary France or the old Tsars and I guess all reactionaries just want to go back to a simpler time of what they imagined 100 years back was like when they were 12.
New Chronology is the absolute king of all conspiracy theories.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

To any eejit who tries to make believe in a flat earth i shall reply: "i choose violence" and headbutt them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Deketh posted:

It's a fascinating theory that I kinda believe too, apart from the conspiracy aspects of it being suppressed..

That's where I am with it. Comet hits ice sheet, causes rapid flood, here's the evidence. Cool.

Flood wipes out human civilization, OK I can buy that.

That civilization was Atlantis. Yeah a little woo woo but whatever.

The atlanteans were interdimensional beings who built the pyramids with the power of DMT. AND I AM A REAL ARCHAEOLOGIST STOP LAUGHING.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

New Chronology is the absolute king of all conspiracy theories.
Is that the one that claims the entire middle ages was just made up by the Pope no please don't ask the Muslims if anything verifiable happened in those centuries.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

Maybe I’m thick as poo poo but I don’t really follow the logic in that video at all. If the earth is a flat disc of radius 40,000km and the moon is a ball that orbits roughly above the “equator” at a distance of 400,000km, the angle to the moon would be 0 degrees at the equator and about 1.4 degrees at either pole, so while each person would technically have different views of the moon, the actual difference would be tiny, we’d be talking about a crescent shaped area something like 42 miles wide at its widest point, which our observers would be seeing at a near-tangent, making the unique areas each observer could see an utterly minuscule fraction of the visible moon, so much so that any picture of the moon from the poles should look almost identical to a picture of the moon from the equator.

I can see your thinking here. I think Prof Dave is forgetting to mention that Flat Earth models that say the moon is much closer, like 6000km up or so. The sun and moon are meant to be the same size and close to the earth so that the light doesn't appear on some parts of the flat earth, therefore day and night.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Is PMQs on today if Boris is dodging it?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

happyhippy posted:

Is PMQs on today if Boris is dodging it?

It was yesterday my dude.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1481612426235858953

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

It was yesterday my dude.

gently caress, thought today was Wednesday. Dammit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Is that the one that claims the entire middle ages was just made up by the Pope no please don't ask the Muslims if anything verifiable happened in those centuries.

That's the Phantom Time Hypothesis, which also slaps hard. That's the one where 300 years were just made up, meaning the Carolingians weren't real. Because the Pope & HRE Otto III made it up to justify Otto taking the throne.

New Chronology is better purely because it's even wilder. I can't even begin to sum it up so just read the Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_chronology_(Fomenko)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I do wonder how much a small dose of antipsychotics slipped into a drink would change a flat-earther's views.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah I mean there's literally Doggerland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland) and just a whole bunch of other that have some historical evidence for due to floods and tidal waves, when "civilizations" were more just basically city states. Like probably not 'Atlantis' though due to it's first mention being almost certainly just a literary device, but maybe it was based off some badly passed on stuff that actually happened.

As soon as you get to sci-fi advanced civ stuff, as soon as you start thinking about it even a bit, the problems just start mounting really, really quickly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Legally the Interregnum never happened. Charles II became King the moment Charles I got the big haircut, and any laws passed by the meantime were in fact passed in the reign of Charles II, he just took a really, really long time to sign them. Also the Long Parliament actually just went on holiday during the Commonwealth, and none of the laws passed other than by them counted (although they did, in their final act before asking Charles II if he fancied a new hat, *did* pass a number of laws very suspiciously similar to ones from the Commonwealth, mostly about how killing Irish people was cool and good, and how killing people who had fought on the Parliamentary side would be uncool and bad (and we still have the sword so don't get any funny ideas Charlie boy)).

So no, the execution of Charles I doesn't set a precedent, because it wasn't passed by the Long Parliament and wasn't signed by Charles I (although I wonder if some proto-wonk did at one point consider asking him), so - constitutionally - never happened either. One of the big reasons the constitution is unwritten is so that nobody has to officially unpick all this sort of thing, and really it actually boils down to everyone agreeing that while it probably wouldn't be a good idea to have another civil war, it's still on the table if anyone starts taking diabolical liberties. I sort of wish Lizzie had grabbed a bunch of the Household Cavalry and wandered over to Parliament to ask wassup about that whole prorogation thing.

This is one point of view, of course. Me with my 17th century and Leveller hat on (with the natty sea-green ribbon) would argue that we established a Republic and it remains the legitimate government of this country, it should be ruled by an Agreement of the People, and any further people with funny ideas about Divine Right and so on and so forth are illegitimate (doubly so after the Glorious Revolution which, at best, needs a bit of a squinty eye and some nostalgia to see as legitimate succession and not a straight up military coup/invasion).

This is, of course, where quite a lot of the foundation of the American revolution comes from, though outside of actual historians you don't see it played up much these days.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

That's where I am with it. Comet hits ice sheet, causes rapid flood, here's the evidence. Cool.

The atlanteans were interdimensional beings who built the pyramids with the power of DMT. AND I AM A REAL ARCHAEOLOGIST STOP LAUGHING.

That's how they get you. They start with something sensible and believable like "the queen is" and then they follow it up with something bonkers

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I put flat earthers in the same camp as people who say dogs can't look up. Mostly harmless and dumb and I don't know why we have to talk about it all the time. The only real harm they seem to cause is when someone like the BBC tries to use them as an example of the lengths they'll go for impartiality for cover when they give limp interviews to global warming denialists and antivax guys.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The thing about including Atlantis in any of your ancient conspiracy theories is Atlantis first written mentioned is believed to be one of the dialogues of Plato. A man who regularly invented people to say the things he wanted them to say but wrote it as "this totally happened to me on Saturday night."

It would be like future social historians trying to chronicle the tales of the "Dear Penthouse" letters.

Now if I was going to follow any ancient conspiracy it would be ancient astronauts/Earth was seeded with life by human colonisers from another world.
It's crazy, but involves far less information suppression to work.
(Ancient astronauts land. They help uplift the natives. Make sure to not leave any future technology behind. Die out.)
And it sort of explains why so many similar myths arise all over the globe thousands of miles and years apart.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

e: I guess a link would be helpful

kecske fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 13, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I put flat earthers in the same camp as people who say dogs can't look up. Mostly harmless and dumb and I don't know why we have to talk about it all the time. The only real harm they seem to cause is when someone like the BBC tries to use them as an example of the lengths they'll go for impartiality for cover when they give limp interviews to global warming denialists and antivax guys.

Dogs can't look up, it's an optical illusion

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Z the IVth posted:

I do wonder how much a small dose of antipsychotics slipped into a drink would change a flat-earther's views.

I mean, not at all? They're not psychotic, they're just emotionally driven to believe stupid things (just like everyone else)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kecske posted:

place your bets on who it is!

I mean if there actually is one, and it's not Boris, man the Chinse hosed up, loving thing up.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 13, 2022

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

"subverting the processes" is the only way anything ever happens in this country anyway, how would we notice the difference?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Question IRL posted:

The thing about including Atlantis in any of your ancient conspiracy theories is Atlantis first written mentioned is believed to be one of the dialogues of Plato. A man who regularly invented people to say the things he wanted them to say but wrote it as "this totally happened to me on Saturday night."

It was the style. Hypotheticals weren't really allowed, you had to be writing about empirical facts or you were just a storyteller. Hence Herodotus adding his favourite tales to his histories with a disclaimer saying that he personally thought it was bunk. If he tried to tell the stories as stories then people would think the histories were just stories too.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Just made a right mess getting myself some cake. Since I'm working from home I have to clean it up myself, quick someone commission me to write a multi-thousand word article about the perils of working from home and how we all need to Get Back To The Office so I don't have to clean up after myself. (Alternate commission for "Help my cleaning lady is isolating, I'm the real victim" would also be accepted)

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Scikar posted:

"subverting the processes" is the only way anything ever happens in this country anyway, how would we notice the difference?

Please subvert the process in the correct way by giving the MP / their party lots of money, thank you.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

I mean, not at all? They're not psychotic, they're just emotionally driven to believe stupid things (just like everyone else)

The evidenced medical treatment for Morgellons (delusional parasitosis) are antipsychotics. Some of these conspiracists almost certainly have the same pathology.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shouldn't mess with cake, you'll get czech neck.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Was Plato the first person to make up a guy to get mad at?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

happyhippy posted:

I can see your thinking here. I think Prof Dave is forgetting to mention that Flat Earth models that say the moon is much closer, like 6000km up or so. The sun and moon are meant to be the same size and close to the earth so that the light doesn't appear on some parts of the flat earth, therefore day and night.

Ah, fair enough. I'm surprised they couldn't come up with a better theory for that. Just off the top of my head...okay, so, we all know that the heavenly bodies are actually embedded in crystal spheres, and rather than them moving of their own accord like some sort of physics magic, they move because the crystal spheres they are attached to move, and each one is ultimately moved by the Prime Mover, the demiurge God. And obviously the sun and moon circle the heavens above our flat earth. So why can we not see them at all times? Very simple, you see, while the crystal spheres are transparent to allow light from more distant objects to reach us, the very first sphere (which we'll call Circadia) interacts with polarised light. The moon emits horizontally polarised light while the sun emits vertically polarised light. Circadia is split into two halves, one for night and one for day, and only permits light from the appropriate celestial body to penetrate (Before you ask, Circadia depolarises the light).

Thus, when you look up at night, the sun is actually there, it's just that none of its light can reach you due to the Circadian rhythm. This is why stars are also visible only at night, as they too emit horizontally polarised light.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The world is round because otherwise the classiest piece of furniture ever wouldn't be accurate.

I own one of these lol, it's pretty fun even though I also have a big wooden bar cabinet thing.

I really enjoyed that Behind the Curve documentary which makes it pretty clear that the flat earthers are just saddos who are trying to exert some control over their lives, and then they find a community of like-minded saddos and become resistant to contradictory evidence on the same way as any cult. If all your friends and events and your podcast depend on believing something (like Marxism) then you will resist the overwhelming evidence against it (like that Elon Musk has disproved Marx via tweets).

I also agree with what twisto was saying about the contrarian sticking it to the pointyheads angle, plus I think some of the early flat earth online communities were just people being ironic and engaging in abstract debate for its own sake, but as always the persona becomes the person

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

The evidenced medical treatment for Morgellons (delusional parasitosis) are antipsychotics. Some of these conspiracists almost certainly have the same pathology.

Maybe the antipsychotics are toxic to the morgellons fibre-worms

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Z the IVth posted:

Well, ok, some, maybe?

But I'd wager that most of them are just various mixtures of scared, sad, lonely, antisocial, narcissistic, etc. Human beings are capable of believing all kinds of really, deeply stupid and irrational poo poo while not being medically psychotic. It's pretty much our thing, in fact

E beaten by FI, but yea

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right but if I were to ask you, specifically, to prove the earth was round how would you do it? As in with an experiment that could be done by you and maybe one other helper and with only tools available to a layperson?

there's a very simple way to prove that the earth is round that only requires good weather and abouth half an hour of one's time. however, one would also have to travel to Dover, so idk if it's worth it tbh

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1481574084890836993

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Or the suns a hypno-toad.

All hail Son of hypno-toad.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1481632176273862662

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

"Garden-gate" was right there Steerpike, you absolute hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

In fairness if I'd been in any position of power in the 60s I'd have been happily selling all my intel to Moscow, no question