Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

SirPablo posted:

Southeast snow potential. Usual - power outages, difficult travels, people falling.

my wife's sister texted earlier said they were expected to get 17 inches of snow in Virginia, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
6 inches of snow on the banks of Lake Lanier is catafuckingstrophic. 4 inches in Atlanta? LMFAO

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

AOCIA posted:

god hates chicago apparently

god is Lori Lightfoot?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Crunchy Black posted:

6 inches of snow on the banks of Lake Lanier is catafuckingstrophic. 4 inches in Atlanta? LMFAO

lol this was north carolina in 2014?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tim Kaine grimly preparing to get stuck on I95 for 54 hours for no particular reason.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lmao @ this picture

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Radirot posted:

right around my birthday, nice!

:same:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I wonder if we can get a packers home game in then.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

Tim Kaine grimly preparing to get stuck on I95 for 54 hours for no particular reason.

This made me laugh. Heres hoping everyone just stays the gently caress home this time.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

tiberion02 posted:

gently caress, now the climate has come for me

yup, I am pretty much in the direct middle of that

so this is going to be worse than that polar vortex 3 years ago where they had to light the train tracks on fire in chicago?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's cool that we get to use badass terms like polar vortex and heat dome now. Weather used to be so boring.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

smoobles posted:

It's cool that we get to use badass terms like polar vortex and heat dome now. Weather used to be so boring.

Yeah Im a big fan of the term I learned thanks to this insanity, atmospheric river events!

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Some town in Queensland had 600mm/23 inches of rain on Friday night
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-13/dallarnil-recovery-continues-following-tsunami-like-wave/100752516

quote:

In the early hours of Saturday about 600 millimetres of rainfall was recorded at Dallarnil north of Gympie.

Dallarnil resident Tiarna Bramich and her partner were woken by the downpour shortly after midnight when their house began to shake.

"We thought the house was going to take off," she said.

"It didn't look too bad outside so we thought we could make it to higher ground and then we got out along the house and then there was just this big wave.

"It was up to our hips and all of a sudden it was over my head."

quote:

The couple climbed a water tank to escape the torrent.

"We were trying to stay above water — my feet got stuck in a fence and it kind of pulled me under," Ms Bramich said.

"If my partner wasn't there, there is no way I would have survived that. He pushed me into a tree and the tanks were right next to it.

"We got up there, we thought we were safe and then the tank just took off.

"It all happened in the blink of an eye."

quote:

"We called our families and said goodbye because we didn't think we would make it off there. It was hard hearing them on the other side of the phone very upset.

"That was the hardest thing."

They fought to stay alive, before being rescued by neighbours four hours later.

"We were on the first tank — and then that just took off, so we jumped on a second tank and then we thought we were safe," Ms Bramich said.

"It stuck for like two minutes and then that one just took off.

"Two trees fell down and the tank got stuck in there, so we didn't move."

quote:

North Dallarnil Rural Fire Brigade First Officer Max Pearce said they are unsure of where the tsunami-like wave came from.

"We had very little warning, but I've been told is that the water was flowing through and then all of a sudden there was a wall of water that came down," he said.

"It has shifted concrete tanks full of water, it shifted 5,000-gallon poly tanks full of water and probably 18 cars in the town impacted by the floodwaters.

"I've heard there are a couple of dams that let go, but nobody is saying that was what caused the influx of water."

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

robot roll call posted:

so this is going to be worse than that polar vortex 3 years ago where they had to light the train tracks on fire in chicago?

doesnt look like it will be that bad at all if you are used to great lakes weather. that a week of single digit-teen temperatures in january in michigan isn't the norm is what is notable

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah it's gonna be pretty drat cold here in the twin cities, though we had something similar last February, and a few January's ago the windchill got down to -58 lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So about that Great Lakes climate resiliency.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

So about that Great Lakes climate resiliency.

its more that the climate has always been extreme

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

A Bakers Cousin posted:

snowpocalypse. Atlanta. 2011. the city shutdown for a week.

I don’t recall if this picture is from it and it doesn’t look like any intersection I know offhand. but yeah expect this if we get snow here.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sorry everyone, its because my dumb parents are stuck overwintering in Michigan for the first time in 7 years and god needs to teach them a lesson

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

doesnt look like it will be that bad at all if you are used to great lakes weather. that a week of single digit-teen temperatures in january in michigan isn't the norm is what is notable

it’s this, this poo poo was downright mundane thirty years ago. heck it was mundane fifteen years ago but clearly starting to pop off

now it’s just getting normalized to NOT be this cold lol

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

smoobles posted:

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Yeah Im a big fan of the term I learned thanks to this insanity, atmospheric river events!

v excited to see what else enters my lexicon by 2023

i'm guessing "rogue dust event"

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
It's very common for sprawling upper level lows to sit over the Hudson Bay and Great Lakes region. That said, there is definitely a strong signal in the extended range weather models that the last ten days of January will be "cold in the east, warm in the west" kind of weather. Also Alaska would be quite warm.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

atmospheric wildfire

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

spider infused winds

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Temporary wind effusion
Unexpected fire surplus
Unplanned water

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

”scouring incident”

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

weather understanders: is this actual temperature values, or is it the difference from the historical average temperature? the title of this chart is "temperature anomaly" so i'd naively expect the latter, but people itt are kinda talking like it's the former?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It is the latter.

How warm did you think Alaska was getting?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Crunchy Black posted:

snowpocalypse. Atlanta. 2011. the city shutdown for a week.

I don’t recall if this picture is from it and it doesn’t look like any intersection I know offhand. but yeah expect this if we get snow here.

that picture is from NC but the 85/75 connector downtown definitely looked like that. I managed to beat the storm home by about an hour, my boss was stuck on the interstate until about 10AM the next morning.

FWIW while my weather app went nuts yesterday suggesting 4” of snow here yesterday, it has since rescinded that to a modest .3” (surrounded by freezing rain lmao)

this weekend is gonna be interesting

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Raine posted:

spider infused winds

Those are the good spiders, they eat the bad spiders like brown recluses.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

redleader posted:

weather understanders: is this actual temperature values, or is it the difference from the historical average temperature? the title of this chart is "temperature anomaly" so i'd naively expect the latter, but people itt are kinda talking like it's the former?

It is a five day average of the temperature deviation from average at 850 mb (which is about 5000' MSL).

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Winter storm going to dive down the plains, hook through the southeast, then up to New England.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/wssi/wssi.php

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
sick trickshot

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
wind chill will make it -30° f here over the weekend :stonklol:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Radirot posted:

Where are you?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Radirot posted:

that's not too bad tbqh, just wear a scarf

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
central ny

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Radirot posted:

make sure you have some water stored up because underground pipes are going to freeze and burst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
we had -46f windchill like 10 days ago suck it up southerner

This is like the one thing I can lord over people while being from ND. LET ME HAVE THIS