Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Shifty Pony posted:

Ugh that sucks. Maybe it will just stay with the one? Any symptoms of note?

Just a fever and slight cough. Already have a nebulizer and supplies so that helps. Had to run to CVS to get more childrens motrin/tylenol last night and the flu/cough shelves were bare.

Gonna keep the other twin home too obviously and everyone is scheduled for a PCR on Friday. That was the earliest appointment available in the area unless we wanted to drive 2 hours across the state.

My boss is pretty cool with life happening and I don’t have a ton going on right now so I won’t need to take PTO, just be available and do what I can. My wife is going to take tomorrow though since I have too many meetings I need to participate in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
My two year old figured out how to open the gate in front of the stairs so… gently caress.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jumpsuit posted:

However daycare has now asked ALL families to keep their kids at home for the foreseeable future because the majority of the staff either have covid or are in isolation awaiting test results which are massively backlogged, and they can't get enough replacement educators in.
Honestly I'm just guessing which week of this month that's going to happen to our daycare.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Eggnogium posted:

My two year old figured out how to open the gate in front of the stairs so… gently caress.

Yup, that'll happen.

We kept our gate up until our oldest was about 2.5, maybe 3? She had long since figured out how to open it, but it slowed her down and the "click" was a good early warning system.

Then we took it down and enjoyed free access for quite a while, until our youngest started crawling, and then it went back up... currently waiting for the day that we can take it down for good.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So each of our kids get a small chunk of time every day for "pick", otherwise known as "what's on TV is my choice right now". Our daughter, after staying up late with us the other night and watching an episode, selected season 1 of HGTV classic "Design Star" for her pick today. I let her time run a little long to finish S1E2 because that really is our daughter :allears:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Jumpsuit posted:

Not in the US, but our daycare just had an educator test positive who was in the room with our daughter for two days while infectious. Last year we would have been classed as Tier 1 contacts and had to isolate for 14 days, now it's "as long as they're asymptomatic you don't need to get tested and can come back the next day". It's a really weird shift in mindset.

However daycare has now asked ALL families to keep their kids at home for the foreseeable future because the majority of the staff either have covid or are in isolation awaiting test results which are massively backlogged, and they can't get enough replacement educators in. We can't get rapid tests and everything is just a huge mess. Lucky (ish) I was made redundant last year so I can keep the kids home while I'm not working...

Same, brother, same. Well, not every detail but we're also home until the educators are back.

They did manage to find a temp, but no way I'm sending the kid back to Plague School this week. The remaining staff spent all day inside with the two positive educators on Monday so there's no way they're not all positive by Thursday morning.

Luckily my kid was home with a cold on Monday, (same cold as wife & I presumably) so I'm hoping we dodged the bullet once again. I'm fortunate enough to be able to take unpaid leave from work for the rest of the week.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 12, 2022

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
The letter specifically says that if someone in your household tests positive we need to let daycare know so daycare can monitor the child. Quarantine is gone.

Nap time today was/ is a disaster. Both kids were yawning and rubbing their eyes at lunch, but the minute we go upstairs their energy was at an 11. Took 45 minutes to get the baby to sleep, had to shut the toddler in her room and rock him to sleep in my room, then took another 45 minutes of cuddling (aka gentle restraining) the toddler in her bed until she finally fell asleep. A couple minutes before she nodded off, the frikkin low battery beep on the smoke detector started to go off… MAMA WHAT’S THAT NOISE?! Thankfully she still fell asleep but it was in my room so it woke up the baby. Everyone’s been up since 5am so I wanted to lay down for two seconds but oh well.

I don’t even want to post about it in case I jinx it but tomorrow they both have daycare and I will have the morning completely to myself for the first time in I don’t even know how long. I’ve got a movie picked out, ice cream to eat, and probably a nap whenever I feel like it. Please god let tomorrow happen. The last two times I was supposed to have a day to myself were canceled because of close contact quarantine but that doesn’t exist anymore so unless the actual apocalypse happens tonight, it should work out.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Smoke detector chirps have more than once gotten me to fill an online cart full of smart home smoke detectors that send notifications before the battery gets low enough. I’ve been *this close*. Pretty sure the next incident will be the last and our budget will just have to deal with it.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Koivunen posted:

The letter specifically says that if someone in your household tests positive we need to let daycare know so daycare can monitor the child. Quarantine is gone.

Nap time today was/ is a disaster. Both kids were yawning and rubbing their eyes at lunch, but the minute we go upstairs their energy was at an 11. Took 45 minutes to get the baby to sleep, had to shut the toddler in her room and rock him to sleep in my room, then took another 45 minutes of cuddling (aka gentle restraining) the toddler in her bed until she finally fell asleep. A couple minutes before she nodded off, the frikkin low battery beep on the smoke detector started to go off… MAMA WHAT’S THAT NOISE?! Thankfully she still fell asleep but it was in my room so it woke up the baby. Everyone’s been up since 5am so I wanted to lay down for two seconds but oh well.

I don’t even want to post about it in case I jinx it but tomorrow they both have daycare and I will have the morning completely to myself for the first time in I don’t even know how long. I’ve got a movie picked out, ice cream to eat, and probably a nap whenever I feel like it. Please god let tomorrow happen. The last two times I was supposed to have a day to myself were canceled because of close contact quarantine but that doesn’t exist anymore so unless the actual apocalypse happens tonight, it should work out.

Yeah I just saw that Minnesota today completely got rid of quarantine for close contacts for daycares.

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

You are in Minnesota if I'm remembering correctly, right?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Second twin is probably starting symptoms, swell! seems be a loss of appetite, complaining about a headache, and he went upstairs to take a nap an hour ago and passed right out. That more than anything tells me he feels like poo poo, he stopped naps before 2 and doesn’t stop moving normally.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Toddler isn’t contagious and is Covid negative so today was his first day back to preschool in a month. Man we missed those 3 hours!!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

sheri posted:

Yeah I just saw that Minnesota today completely got rid of quarantine for close contacts for daycares.

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

You are in Minnesota if I'm remembering correctly, right?

Yep, it just blows my mind and makes me so angry. At this point in time we should be going on another full lockdown like in the beginning, not letting everyone do whatever willy nilly. It really feels like intentionally dangerous decisions are being made.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Koivunen posted:

Yep, it just blows my mind and makes me so angry. At this point in time we should be going on another full lockdown like in the beginning, not letting everyone do whatever willy nilly. It really feels like intentionally dangerous decisions are being made.

Right? It's literally worse than its ever been at any point during the pandemic and the answer is......do less than what we were doing before?!??s

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Our governor in WV apparently has covid and is not doing well. He's basically a baby, so this is pertinant to the thread.

I want to ask our ped if they'd ever test our daughter for antibodies, because she had super mild symptoms when I had covid before Christmas, but all her tests were negative. :iiam:

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Wife is covered in small red bumps. Initially they were local to her back/legs and I thought maybe the dogs got into something itchy and she touched it. Now it's on arms, legs, chest, everywhere.

Her doctor thought it was a rare allergic reaction to psych meds so told her to stop taking them.

But then last night I started getting a few bumps - so now we're worried we have bed bugs. The dogs aren't scratching so I don't think it's fleas. Going to call an exterminator.

Fortunately the baby seems fine but this is exhausting.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Koivunen posted:

The apocalypse didn't happen so good God I hope you are having the best fuckin Thursday there ever was.

space uncle posted:

Wife is covered in small red bumps. Initially they were local to her back/legs and I thought maybe the dogs got into something itchy and she touched it. Now it's on arms, legs, chest, everywhere.

Her doctor thought it was a rare allergic reaction to psych meds so told her to stop taking them.

But then last night I started getting a few bumps - so now we're worried we have bed bugs. The dogs aren't scratching so I don't think it's fleas. Going to call an exterminator.

I'm not sure what it looks like but could it be hand foot mouth? Other goons and their kids in this thread had it..

External Organs fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 13, 2022

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Hand foot and mouth maybe? We both got more bumps then our kid when it hit.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I have to say I'm glad to read this thread to learn about fun diseases like HFM & RSV before our daughter inevitably brings them home from daycare. Which she starts in two and a half weeks.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Emily Spinach posted:

I have to say I'm glad to read this thread to learn about fun diseases like HFM & RSV before our daughter inevitably brings them home from daycare. Which she starts in two and a half weeks.

Prepare yourself for them only being in daycare about 50% of the time the first 3 months due to sickness and closures

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Love to pay daycare 100% of fees for 50% of service

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

nachos posted:

Yeah :( I just remind myself that he has learned so many new skills since starting daycare. That makes it all worthwhile!

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Eggnogium posted:

We put those baby locks meant for looping through cabinet handles on our baby gate to thwart our toddler. It bought us a year so far.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

So my closest uncle, the one that has been my daughter's cartoon-watching buddy from basically birth until present, has passed away. If anyone has any advice on explaining this to a five year old, I would love to hear it. I really never wanted to have this conversation so early.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

So my closest uncle, the one that has been my daughter's cartoon-watching buddy from basically birth until present, has passed away. If anyone has any advice on explaining this to a five year old, I would love to hear it. I really never wanted to have this conversation so early.

A five year old will understand, conceptually.

Emotionally, she’ll probably need to process it a LOT. So be prepared to have her talk to you about it at the least convenient times for years.

But there’s no way around it, you gotta shoot straight with her and explain why he died etc (unless it was particularly gruesome, I guess).

I’ve read that it’s not uncommon that kids seem to shrug such a thing off at first, and if she does, let her take her time. She will come and ask questions later.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

nachos posted:

For real. Baby just went back for the first time in 2 weeks. Both boys had exposures in their classrooms right before New Years, baby popped positive last Tuesday. Luckily, the 3 yo and I both tested negative last Friday despite being in coughing range of the baby all week, so at least he could go to daycare this week. Makes me more convinced that he got the vaccine instead of placebo, but still not counting on it. It sucks, but I'm glad the daycare is enforcing the no symptoms or a negative test policy.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

space uncle posted:

Look up some pictures of bed bug bites. They tend to have something of a specific pattern to them. It still can't hurt to call an exterminator to be sure, though.

Fingers crossed it's not bed bugs -- they're a huge nightmare to deal with.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I think a 5 year old can understand the basics of it. For us it came up when watching some movie where someone dies, but my 5 year old quickly grasped that all living things will die, that non-living things cannot die, and that it is permanent. It lead to many conversations that just start with her walking into the room, saying she is going to die some day but her favorite lovey will not because it is not alive, and then leaving. :shrug:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our dog that had been around for my older kids entire life died when he was 6. He very matter of factly would bring it up randomly in conversation. He would love to tell strangers.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Yeah, expect to hear "hey mom, uncle died, and isn't coming back," all the time... like all the time. Prepare yourself, cause sometimes it's just a gut punch when you aren't expecting it.

My dad died 3 years ago, and sometimes my 6 year old will still just start talking about how grandpa died. and how my that was my dad, and that my dad died. I know she's processing that I'll die, and she talks about me dying, and what she'll do when I die. Sometimes it's extremely emotionally draining.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Look up some pictures of bed bug bites. They tend to have something of a specific pattern to them. It still can't hurt to call an exterminator to be sure, though.

Fingers crossed it's not bed bugs -- they're a huge nightmare to deal with.

I couldn’t find a pattern to the bites and I couldn’t find any evidence of bed bugs. So no exterminator for now. We slept in another bed and will deep clean everything.

Wife went to a dermatologist who was also stumped so they biopsied one. Didn’t really look like bug bites or a rash caused by psych meds.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Thanks y'all. Turns out my wife told her after picking her up. She cried a little and then moved on. I know that means the questions will be coming though.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Aaaaaand there it is, the second twin just tested positive on a rapid. It didn’t even take a minute for the confirmation line to appear. Thankfully their symptoms have been very mild so far with just a minor fever mostly.

I had a few meetings today that I needed to be able to focus on so my wife took the day but I’ll probably be riding solo the rest of the time until they’re back in school.

I feel bad for the dog as he won’t be getting his normal hour+ walk during morning standups. Best I can do is the fifteen minutes it takes to walk around the loop we are on while the boys are watching TV.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 14, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Sorry for the positives dude. Hopefully things stay chill and good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: bedbugs, the classic pattern is two, most commonly three bumps in a row, typically near your larger veins, as if they're a Texan drilling for oil but don't hit the deposit on the first try so they keep going towards where they think it is

And yeah it's very obvious if you have bedbug bites, Google image search is really good for identifying them

If you do end up having bedbugs, the best solution is to go buy four of the disposable ziplock Tupperware boxes, dump about two ounces of talcum powder inside reach one, then put each bed leg inside the talcum powder ziplock Tupperware. Bedbugs can't climb the Tupperware and the talcum powder is like a dollar and effectively covers bug feet in thick grease and can't climb anything. This effectively isolates the bed from the rest of the house and will trap a lot of them trying to leave the bed in the talc power. Next, douse any seams on the bed/box spring with 92% isopropyl alcohol (about $2/giant bottle, shouldn't need more than 3). Finally, sleep more than 20 feet away from affected area, bedbugs can't crawl more than about 10' in a night and won't venture away from the bed. Oh and launder the sheets and pillows obviously, extra high heat, twice. Also also put a space heater in the room and set it to 85° to prevent them from going dormant and they'll dry out without a blood meal in about 3-4 days as will any eggs. With any luck you should kill the infestation in under a week

I brought home bedbugs once from a backpacker holiday, yikes. I leave my luggage in the entryway for a week now when I come home, it never makes it anywhere near the bed for at least two weeks

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
My day to myself was FANTASTIC. got the kids to daycare with no fuss. Took a shower and used conditioner. Had potato chips and m&ms for breakfast. Took a two hour nap. Ice cream for lunch. Had a sauna. Picked up the kids and they had a short sauna too, babies first time. They did so well, my toddler loved splashing water on the baby’s head. Had a good dinner, then off to bed. Bedtime was pretty smooth, took a while, but I felt so good I didn’t mind. Just as my daughter was about to go to sleep, she turned over and put her hand on my face. She sleepily said, “I got to touch you for a second, you are so beautiful.”

Couldn’t have asked for a better day. Hoping they both sleep well tonight, that would be the icing on the cake.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Probably overreacting, but wife just took our youngest to the ER with a funny sounding cough. He woke up about an hour and a half after going to bed making a strange sound... Couldn't tell what the hell it was, sounded like some strange audio artifact through the monitor. Eventually sounded more like coughing and crying, but still off. Airway sounded restricted... Couldn't find any evidence that he swallowed something he shouldn't have, and he was still breathing and making sounds.

No other symptoms. This came completely out of the blue, and freaked us both out enough where there's no way we'll be comfortable letting him go back to sleep without seeing a doctor...

No new foods or anything that were aware of, so probably not an allergic reaction to something.

Trying to get some sleep while they're there (obviously that's going well), but now I'm thinking covid... Apparently croup is common with omicron. But hey he's going to an ER so if he doesn't have covid, he'll just get it while he's there!

Most likely result of course is something completely benign they we're going to have to pay a shitload of money for. Great year for our insurance to change to high deductible...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

Probably overreacting, but wife just took our youngest to the ER with a funny sounding cough.

), but now I'm thinking covid... Apparently croup is common with omicron. But hey he's going to an ER so if he doesn't have covid, he'll just get it while he's there!

:coronatoot:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Welp, it's croup. So says the ER docs, anyhow. Classic croup, they say... missing the cold-like symptoms or fever, but they said going to bed fine and then waking up in the middle of the night with that cough is pretty typical.

Apparently bringing him to the ER wasn't a wrong decision... some kids need immediate intervention for croup-related breathing difficulty. All the little dude needed was an oral steroid.

They didn't bother testing for covid since he has no other symptoms whatsoever. Still debating if we should get him tested anyhow... we'll probably call the pediatrician today and see, all the the normal sites we would use don't have appointments until Tuesday.

Also the nearest ER is small and there was nobody waiting, so thankfully it wasn't a long wait surrounded by sick people. Next best option is a pediatric ER at the big hospital about 30 minutes away, and the wait time was listed as 40 minutes, so that would have been a rough night.

Don't think his sister ever had croup, so this was a new one for us. Pretty freaky to hear that, especially when it doesn't sound like a cough at first.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

DaveSauce posted:

Welp, it's croup. So says the ER docs, anyhow. Classic croup, they say... missing the cold-like symptoms or fever, but they said going to bed fine and then waking up in the middle of the night with that cough is pretty typical.

Apparently bringing him to the ER wasn't a wrong decision... some kids need immediate intervention for croup-related breathing difficulty. All the little dude needed was an oral steroid.

They didn't bother testing for covid since he has no other symptoms whatsoever. Still debating if we should get him tested anyhow... we'll probably call the pediatrician today and see, all the the normal sites we would use don't have appointments until Tuesday.

Also the nearest ER is small and there was nobody waiting, so thankfully it wasn't a long wait surrounded by sick people. Next best option is a pediatric ER at the big hospital about 30 minutes away, and the wait time was listed as 40 minutes, so that would have been a rough night.

Don't think his sister ever had croup, so this was a new one for us. Pretty freaky to hear that, especially when it doesn't sound like a cough at first.

After our pediatrician told us not to worry about our 3 year old giving our 8 month old croup…the 8 month old woke up with it today. Great start to the day. Off to the pediatrician for steroids if he can have them at this age.

Edit: amazing…so yesterday we brought our infant in because he had a cyst near his penis and didn’t know what it was…this morning he had a fever of 101 and the cough so we called for an appointment and they won’t see him in person because the fever so we have to do a virtual appointment. I dunno how the gently caress you listen to lungs virtually or administer steroids but what the gently caress ever.

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuber
Dec 29, 2011

DaveSauce posted:

The same thing happened with us just last week. Baby woke up, and it seemed like he was struggling to breathe and was so worked up. We called the nurse, she heard baby's cough on speakerphone and told us to head to the ER. I was there with a grumpy baby from 2-6 AM, took them 5 minutes to tell me it was croup and administer and prescribe a steroid (and then I had to wait 1 hr in the pharmacy the next day to fill a prescription for ONE PILL). Trying to tell myself it's best that I went in bc it could've been something serious, but I still feel like an idiot for blowing through money at the ER for croup. Love that I have to do that calculus every time a kid is sick in our very not broken country.