Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

Not sure where Chrome comes into play, but you can do webcam offloading to the client for a lot of the popular video conferencing solutions in Citrix/Horizon/WVD.

I know it supposed to do that, but as far as I know its not working yet. Or maybe it is, but only for some test users. I just find it hilarious that its been two years, and people can't join a Zoom call with video because of that, and the security group refusing to make firewall exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

To sum up her Security Team Meeting Rules:

Webcam on, mic off mute, no looking around, no snacks?!?, no clothing she dislikes, and don't mention multitasking.

And yeah, I have started the HR process as my team is ready to mutiny.

This is unhinged, especially the clothing bit - it's a super short step from there to being outright discriminatory.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Sickening posted:

To sum up her Security Team Meeting Rules:

Webcam on, mic off mute, no looking around, no snacks?!?, no clothing she dislikes, and don't mention multitasking.

And yeah, I have started the HR process as my team is ready to mutiny.

I don't have visible snacks on my desk (unless coffee counts, in which case this CISO seems even more determined to destroy any chance of productivity), but my Teams backgrounds are the liquor shelves of various local bars. That's fine, right?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I have seven five-foot blueberry kush plants under a grow light behind me and in camera range. Is that bad?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Only if you don't share

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

My camera points at a Sleep poster and a battle vest with a bunch of metal patches on it. Nobody has ever said anything about them.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I feel like I have a boring computer room compared to some of you nerds.

Just landed $newHouse for $newJob. Going to take the opportunity to step it up, maybe throw some RGB lights around.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I feel like I have a boring computer room compared to some of you nerds.

Just landed $newHouse for $newJob. Going to take the opportunity to step it up, maybe throw some RGB lights around.

Just make yourself into some sort of Youtuber stereotype and get RGB everything, talk really loud and enthusiastically, and create clickbait pictures and titles for your email.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

The last time I was “required” to be on camera was last February when I had to present in the CIO’s staff meeting. My cat Rocky (RIP) had a talent for knowing when I’m on important calls and of course spent my whole presentation walking in front of my face and punctuating my talking points with an emphatic “MOW”

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Laughing hard that Sickening new trick is not working more jobs than a sane person but being a CISO-slayer. Good luck with making the second notch on your wall

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Webcam chat: we were told back in the middle of 2020 that we would be expected to have cameras on, I have still never turned my camera on in a meeting. Nobody says anything.

MF_James posted:

I'm confused by something with azure vpn tunnels. When I create a routebased tunnel, azure reserves 5IPs for failover, tunnel interface etc. No where in their documentation can I find what the IP of their side of the tunnel interface will be.

How do I know what the azure tunnel interface will be?

I.e. I've created a VTI on an ASA but I don't know what to set my next hop to or if I've trampled on their IPs with my tunnel interface address

Looking at my Azure route-based VPN configured on my FortiGate they are interface routes, so there's no next-hop address. You get a far end address if you use BGP.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 12, 2022

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Inner Light posted:

Alright it's been a while since this question was asked, how many of y'all do cameras on for Teams/Webex? It'll depend if it's a 1-1 vs. a larger group. For me, I pretty much always prefer camera off, but I know there is a diversity of opinion on this.

My manager seems to like to have it on so that's going to influence what I do, and means I'll have to actually look presentable.

Also any thoughts on the blurred / fake backgrounds? The edge detection still seems wonky so I like to keep it off, but to each their own.

I am very glad my company does not heavily encourage / mandate cameras on, that would suck and I would never require that of reports.

My laptop came with gorilla tape covering the camera lens, guess someone else had it first. I have not removed it. For interviews and such I put some local scenery as a background because where I live is very obviously poor-person accommodations and I want to remove the chance for prejudice.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

My camera points at a Sleep poster and a battle vest with a bunch of metal patches on it.

This is proper and good

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/12/22879777/microsoft-teams-walkie-talkie-launch-ios-app

Try it. I loving DARE you to squelch me. I will absolutely bury you in stupid poo poo and make sure everyone in the org knows they can just ping you directly for inane requests instead of putting in a ticket.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/12/22879777/microsoft-teams-walkie-talkie-launch-ios-app

Try it. I loving DARE you to squelch me. I will absolutely bury you in stupid poo poo and make sure everyone in the org knows they can just ping you directly for inane requests instead of putting in a ticket.

This is the worst idea ever.

Although my wife who runs a school thinks turning an iPhone into a walkie talkie is a great idea.

:shrug:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Webcam chat: we were told back in the middle of 2020 that we would be expected to have cameras on, I have still never turned my camera on in a meeting. Nobody says anything.

Looking at my Azure route-based VPN configured on my FortiGate they are interface routes, so there's no next-hop address. You get a far end address if you use BGP.

You should have a next-hop on the fortigate, though it's been a while since i've messed with one so maybe not.

Finally found the answer buried, they want you to configure a /28 for the subnet, but when you actually configure it on the firewall they want you to configure a /30, their documentation also says to place this /30 somewhere else in Azure, but I get an error when trying to put it there. Also, reviewing config on another tenant /30 does not exist in said place either so it must not be that important.

Still not getting the tunnel to come up, I've probably done something wrong on the ASA but I'm angry at this now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Agrikk posted:

This is the worst idea ever.

Although my wife who runs a school thinks turning an iPhone into a walkie talkie is a great idea.

:shrug:

Nextel died for a reason. I think my old blackberry had a push to talk walk-in talkie type feature that was a bad idea as well. That had to be 10 years ago as well as I switched to iPhone when the 4S came out.

RIP my Blackberry Bold.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Inner Light posted:

Alright it's been a while since this question was asked, how many of y'all do cameras on for Teams/Webex? It'll depend if it's a 1-1 vs. a larger group. For me, I pretty much always prefer camera off, but I know there is a diversity of opinion on this.

My manager seems to like to have it on so that's going to influence what I do, and means I'll have to actually look presentable.

Also any thoughts on the blurred / fake backgrounds? The edge detection still seems wonky so I like to keep it off, but to each their own.

I am very glad my company does not heavily encourage / mandate cameras on, that would suck and I would never require that of reports.

I don't own a camera and one has never been required of me, though as an MSP our team is generally too busy working to have meetings aside from the weekly project status call with our PM. I interviewed with a company mid last year, that was the only time I've used a camera and I had to borrow it. I'm sorry y'all work with some weird rear end managers, I'd prefer not to see any of my coworkers faces on a call.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

My camera points at a Sleep poster and a battle vest with a bunch of metal patches on it. Nobody has ever said anything about them.

Hell yeah, I've been recommending Dopesmoker to some coworkers lately.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 13, 2022

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

skipdogg posted:

Nextel died for a reason. I think my old blackberry had a push to talk walk-in talkie type feature that was a bad idea as well. That had to be 10 years ago as well as I switched to iPhone when the 4S came out.

Didn't the construction industry loving love Nextel? I wonder if they'll adopt this.

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)

Thanks Ants posted:

Most places don't require webcams on. Most see it as pain in the rear end. It's best to establish a precedent as yourself "that guy who just doesn't work that way'" Most do it under pressure , and admire you for your steadfastness. If somebody says something, just say "I don't want to". They can't pressure you that much

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

NeuralSpark posted:

Title change and pay bump right? Right?

Title change, pay bump of 20% plus I'm now in a bonus program that I wasn't before. Reassess for another 20%+ in a year once I've proven I can manage people. I'm also bringing a hand picked guy in to fill my old slot, so it's not more work, just different work.
Living the dream, except I accepted this right as budgets are due, so now I have a week to write the entire IT budget, including a division that I had no hard info on until three days ago.

Re cameras and meetings:
I turn my camera on if there's someone senior to me that has theirs on, or if I'm talking enough that my body language and facial expressions help with communication. Or if it's a social meeting, like I have a monthly with other IT leadership guys in different companies where we just talk about the industry.

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 13, 2022

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
No cameras here - I don't have room for a private home office, and I don't invite random people into my livingroom.

I find it important to have something in this hellscape rona world thats just mine, so work colleagues aren't invited to see my bomb-site of a lounge.

On a positive note - GOT OFFERED A JOB YESTERDAY ! Back to 9-5 Mon-Fri and no more 12 hour day and night shifts every week with no weekends or public holidays off. Shift work may have paid the bills during the current mess, but its no way to live.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Isn't this basically Mumble/Teamspeak where you have a Push To Talk button.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It’s Microsoft taking out Zello I imagine

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

This is moderately useful in healthcare where every nurse has a Zebra tied into the PBX, but I just know some middle manager in a cubicle farm is reading this article fist-pumping and shouting "gently caress yes!!!"

I will also bet actual dollars that the product team did not consider basic questions like "what happens when the internet goes down". I say this because my former employer sells a PBX solution to healthcare, and when they tried to migrate from on-prem to cloud, they did not consider basic questions like "what happens when the internet goes down".

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Our ssl decryption was half broken for the past half year because of a typo in a cidr block. We fixed it 2 days ago and it broke basically every developers ability to run builds on their local laptop and they're all losing their minds. One dev had a meltdown in a company-public slack channel. This is juicy

We had been advocating for years to not do dev work on laptops and we would provision cloud resources much more powerful for dev work but always get huge flack

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fun trivia question: anyone know how to find official specifications for temperature thresholds on AMD processors?

This isn't about "how hot is too hot," that's easy to google. What I'm curious about is if AMD publishes a specsheet showing the manufacturer specified limits. Me and a co-worker can find nothing, it's all forum posts from users parroting the same numbers.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If the thinking sand slows down, its too hot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

George H.W. oval office posted:

It’s Microsoft taking out Zello I imagine

It's been a feature enabled on specific devices for a while now, this just looks like it's being expanded to every device regardless if they have a PTT button (so the user experience will be poo poo).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sepist posted:

Our ssl decryption was half broken for the past half year because of a typo in a cidr block. We fixed it 2 days ago and it broke basically every developers ability to run builds on their local laptop and they're all losing their minds. One dev had a meltdown in a company-public slack channel. This is juicy

We had been advocating for years to not do dev work on laptops and we would provision cloud resources much more powerful for dev work but always get huge flack

To play devil's advocate, this is something that had been broken for half a year so it probably could have waited a week for notice to give devs a chance to migrate. Granted, you probably didn't know that would happen ahead (because testing is for software, amirite?), but I would probably have rolled it back and scheduled a "migrate or else" date.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Boss makes a dollar,
I make a dime,
That's why I applied for two dozen jobs
On company time

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Given the amount of boomers that replies to my text messages over telegram and whatsapp with audio recordings and by just calling me on teams, i think this will explode sadly.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

KillHour posted:

To play devil's advocate, this is something that had been broken for half a year so it probably could have waited a week for notice to give devs a chance to migrate. Granted, you probably didn't know that would happen ahead (because testing is for software, amirite?), but I would probably have rolled it back and scheduled a "migrate or else" date.

Same. I advocated for it knowing it will be a poo poo storm and got shot down

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
webcam chat: In large meetings it's camera off, mic on mute. 1 on 1's I'll usually turn the camera on.

I rotate through a bunch of different backgrounds, most of them are very stupid and I will intentionally choose the silliest one for any given occasion. Some of my past favourites have been:

Most people will laugh and make a comment about it, but nobody has told me outright to stop doing it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My favorite is a video that seems normal then you pass through the background while you're sitting at your desk.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I want a way to reverse the masking so it shows a human-shaped cutout of an image in front of my real office.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
whoo boy what a loving day.
just ended a 6.5 hour meeting about disaster recovery and backups and storage.

Basically we are just getting around to doing anything about documentation and DR procedures but also we need space to do that.

I started out the backups meeting by reminding everyone that we still have 2 basically empty HP left hands that we could utilize in the interim but we delved immediately into price comparing some solutions that basically reinvented the wheel to add another SAN. Then my boss realized that we could just buy a cheap SAN and we spent forever price shopping SANs. Then we spent about an hour going over our infrastructure presumably because nobody even knew what we were using 2 left hands and 4 other SANs for already.
Then I asked the question again "why can't we just use this empty left hand for backup jobs?"
Then my boss had a great idea all on his own and totally independent of all the discussion, "why can't we just use this empty left hand for the backup jobs?"

My favorite part though was when my boss asked "why hasn't any of this been done already?" as if nobody had ever thought of it. Couldn't possibly be because we get shot down and 'reprioritized' every time someone brings it up. Nope. Definitely not that.

I mean it's your department. You micromanage like 8 employees. You of all people should know why we haven't "done this yet."

It ended with him tasking our 2 newest techs with "figuring out how to send everything to an S3 bucket." :supaburn:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

KillHour posted:

I want a way to reverse the masking so it shows a human-shaped cutout of an image in front of my real office.

They sell cheap green screen body suits for like 30 bucks if you want to spend some money on a gag.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who was supposed to be chairing that clusterfuck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

whoo boy what a loving day.
just ended a 6.5 hour meeting about disaster recovery and backups and storage.

loving lol. I love meetings like this. And then tomorrow it will be like the discussion never happened.