Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

I got into morrowind when I was 12 too. I think the Toonami ad sold me on it. Me and my brother sunk hundreds of hours into the xbox version before I moved onto PC.

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm gonna host a tes mp server this weekend I think.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was 22 when the game came out and was playing while holding a baby boy on my lap. Stop making me feel old. Additionally, he also loves Morrowind and he’s 20 now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ikanreed posted:

And that's exactly the brilliance of the quest writing that hit me. There's subtle hints here and there that change how you interpret what you're doing.

You can do everything without questioning anyone's motives, and it works as fantasy schlock, go here, kill this bad guy, persuade this person to do things our way, collect this item. It's all fine like that. But you can realize, for a great many cases, that there's another interpretation.

I haven't figured out sugar lips' deal. I think she just wants money?

Funnily enough I think the thieves guild is the one guild that's pretty up front with you about their motives. If anything they're concealing their innate goodness until they figure out if you're a good fit for the Bal Molagmer

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Babe Magnet posted:

I got into morrowind when I was 12 too. I think the Toonami ad sold me on it. Me and my brother sunk hundreds of hours into the xbox version before I moved onto PC.

That Toonami “review” might legit be the single most successful ad buy in videogame history. It’s probably the sole reason the Elder Scrolls is a household name, turned it from a niche PC game for the weirdo’s who play on PC to something dudebro’s play on their couch guzzling Mountain Dew.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

galagazombie posted:

That Toonami “review” might legit be the single most successful ad buy in videogame history. It’s probably the sole reason the Elder Scrolls is a household name, turned it from a niche PC game for the weirdo’s who play on PC to something dudebro’s play on their couch guzzling Mountain Dew.

What was it?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lawman 0 posted:

What was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGyK8MzaHEI

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

life changing is what it was

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I don't get being convinced by that ad honestly, makes it look awful. I learnt about Morrowind the way any self-respecting person should, a controlling big brother that wouldn't let me play it because he was borrowing it from a friend, so I had to find where he was hiding the disc and sneak having a go at it before he got back from high school.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The add does a very good job of both anticipating and addressing what a lot of more casual newcomers might criticize as well as having Steve Blum be charming about his disinterest. It gives you a hook at the beginning (this is the biggest RPG ever!) and then sets up some of the honest shortcomings ( the combat is bad) as "the game caters to a more discerning audience, not like our foil Tom here".

Also, those menus, the inventory, the world map, that poo poo was all mind blowing to people coming from console RPGs. I honestly can't recall where I first heard about Morrowind, but I know I'd already played it when this add ran because it was the first time I'd seen mainstream media engage in a discussion of a game I care about, and I remember the strong mixture of both feeling recognized but also wanting very badly to argue with Tom. Ditto for a video review of Morrowind that came on a demo disc and ended with "is this the right game for console players" (yes gently caress you yessss!"

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The first time I played Morrowind I didn't understand what was going on because I just spoke English on a conversational level (English isn't my first language) and there are so, so many words in fantasy games that do not come up in regular conversation. Probably even more than you expect. My wife's a non native speaker too and her English is really great (we primarily communicate in English) but as soon as we watch a fantasy movie or play a game in a fantasy setting she really struggles.

Anyway I just looked up the god mode cheat and killed everyone in Balmora and had a blast for a few hours. Then maybe a year later I picked it up again and put some effort into actually reading it and it blew me away.

I remember asking my mom what "necromancy" was and it was the first time I asked her the meaning of an English word that she did not know. I ended up constantly alt-tabbing to look up words in an online dictionary while going through the game and it taught me a lot. A similar thing happened to a lesser degree with Deus Ex and some of the conspiracy theory jargon.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nice, I had a similar experience when I played through it in French, lotta very specific nouns.

eppe / sword , boulcier / shield, Lourde / heavy, all jump out at me as being hammered home. Also open, close, take, get, give, steal, kill, aid, ask.

Oh, and since Morrowind involved lots of directions to places there was a lot of "go down the path then take the first left, you'll see the cave on the right".

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Happened as a native English speaking kid too. What the hell is a cuirass? What the gently caress is a foyada?

E: In fact I just learner foyada isn't a real English word for a valley formed from a lava flow just now! lmfao.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 13, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I knew about Morrowind because I was a hard-core Daggerfall addict (I was 12 and the nymphs had their boobs out). Hilariously I remember being disappointed when I read it wasn't gonna have a bazillion and one randomly generated dungeons.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I knew about Morrowind because I was a hard-core Daggerfall addict (I was 12 and the nymphs had their boobs out). Hilariously I remember being disappointed when I read it wasn't gonna have a bazillion and one randomly generated dungeons.

You were right to be

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Babe Magnet posted:

Same.

And huh, that Skink thing is awesome.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Happened as a native English speaking kid too. What the hell is a cuirass? What the gently caress is a foyada?

E: In fact I just learner foyada isn't a real English word for a valley formed from a lava flow just now! lmfao.

Someday I'm going to use foyada when talking with a geologist. I just know it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vavrek posted:

Someday I'm going to use foyada when talking with a geologist. I just know it.

Talk to an planetary scientist do you can get it as a name for a type of planetary feature on some exosolar hellhole.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

First time I played Morrowind I was i think 13 . It was at a friend's house. I rolled a Nord Barbarian called Cuntboy. I bummed around the south of Vvardenfell stealing poo poo and getting into fights until I tried to rob a magic store in Vivec and got killed by the owner in one spell.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 13, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A friend of mine chose medium armor because he thought it was, like, an expression of interest, and used it all game because : shrug: he wasn't going to start over again!

It really was the total opposite to altisis because he filled out that character sheet like a magazine questionnaire and then just ground inexorably towards the end of the game.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I don't remember who gave it to me, but I got the GOTY edition for Christmas, must've been 2003. I think i had read some preview before but didn't know much else. I remember being instantly appealed to by the aesthetics and the graphics on the back cover, reading the manual with all the skills and class descriptions.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol skink is the master trainer for speechcraft

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I was at a game shop and they had a bunch of Morrowind PC boxes on a shelf. I'd never seen a cover like it so I asked the guy working there what it was, and he raved about it so I bought it. Great decision.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A friend's older brother had it for xbox. The two of us watched him play it for hours. I immediately begged my parents to take me to the store and bought it for PC. I couldn't actually run it and never played it until a few years later when we upgraded. I gamed like a man possessed that summer

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

morrownwind

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

cool weird tech updated from TR's dev Hemaris

quote:

late November was when a bug report from Kynesifnar about my coverage-preserving mipmap textures for SHotN led to AnyOldName3 identifying the hardcoded alpha threshold value in MGE XE's distant land shader, which in turn led to me, Remiros, and Greatness7 making some bulk edits to TD and MOP meshes, which will ultimately eliminate the problem of trees with leaves that disappear when seen from far away, for both OpenMW and MGE XE players, when the next versions of MOP and Tamriel_Data are released.
So like, from a technical perspective that's unbelievably cool stuff — nothing like this has been implemented before in the history of Morrowind modding, and it was a collaboration between the OpenMW team, the MGE team, the MOP team, and us

here's what that looks like
Current:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/566703593336340483/912421957469884526/90.mp4
notice the leaves on the trees shrink when they cross the distant land threshold

New:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/566703593336340483/912421956253528154/133.mp4

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I bounced off of morrowind pretty hard when it first came out, I think I wasn't ready for that amount of complexity or the realities of lvl 1 morrowind combat. Then in college I briefly dated a guy whose love of morrowind got me into it. Thanks random business major guy, I may have forgotten your name, but I'll always remember hanging out and watching you steal that staff from the guy in Therana's tower and beating everyone to death with it.

edit: And that time you startled yourself with your own snoring and punched yourself in the face, that was also pretty cool

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I was at a game shop and they had a bunch of Morrowind PC boxes on a shelf. I'd never seen a cover like it so I asked the guy working there what it was, and he raved about it so I bought it. Great decision.

I remember seeing the giant doorstopper of a strategy guide and thinking "drat I bet that game kicks rear end I gotta get that" and I was right

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guildenstern Mother posted:

edit: And that time you startled yourself with your own snoring and punched yourself in the face, that was also pretty cool

Dudes rock

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Some forum I was on back in 02 was posting about it, and I was an impressionable kid and went "oh this is neat." My exposure to "open world" games so far had been the Ultimas, especially Ultima IV and IX, and everything else was jRPGs with lots of set paths. Going into a game where you just... exist, as a person, beebopping about, was so mind-boggling to me I became deeply obsessed with it. I would take the book to school and plan new characters during lunch. On my walks home from school I'd daydream about my character's adventures or think about the lore and the story's implications to it. I was like, deeply obsessed.

That I've, compulsively modded like half the hostile NPCs in the game in a fugue state a year ago means I guess I am still obsessed with it. I was real hype for Oblivion and while it was fun it didn't have the soul Morrowind did, and Skyrim is just... eh? Ever since Morrowind I've been waiting for another game that hits what it hit for me. Kenshi and Caves of Qud have been the only things so far to have a really unique, interesting setting and relative freedom to just gently caress off and make up your own story parallel with the game's, but there's something Morrowind just accidentally did right that other games can't get to, for me?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mbt posted:

cool weird tech updated from TR's dev Hemaris

here's what that looks like
Current:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/566703593336340483/912421957469884526/90.mp4
notice the leaves on the trees shrink when they cross the distant land threshold

New:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/566703593336340483/912421956253528154/133.mp4

I feel like an idiot because I don't see the leaves "getting smaller" in the first video. Just the fog suddenly being partially in front of the tree. Maybe I'll be able to tell better on a monitor rather than my phone?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nah they look the same to me.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The leaves become more see through due to messed up alpha channels

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Nah they look the same to me.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

im glad im not the only one who cant tell a difference because id feel dumb

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I also cannot tell any difference in the videos tbh.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
look at the shadows. The second one is smoother in general in the same way imo

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

look at the shadows. The second one is smoother in general in the same way imo

this

peasents

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

I remember seeing the giant doorstopper of a strategy guide and thinking "drat I bet that game kicks rear end I gotta get that" and I was right
This rules, I've never seen the strategy guide but I hear it's cool. The game shop guy told me you could do anything you wanted and then said "you don't even have to follow the plot, you can just go around diving for pearls" and it was the most insane way a game had ever been recommended to me, so I bought it then and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I also had the strategy guide and it was *thorough*. Whoever wrote it clearly loves the game.