Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
As long as you don't have those abominable stacked area charts, they can use what they want. I've never seen a chart types as useless as those, and I'm still not convinced they weren't invented as some kind of bizarre joke that escaped containment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kaza42 posted:

As long as you don't have those abominable stacked area charts, they can use what they want. I've never seen a chart types as useless as those, and I'm still not convinced they weren't invented as some kind of bizarre joke that escaped containment

I was going to write a thing defending them, and while looking for an example of a good use case (hard to find), I found something that I require to be a joke:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was going to write a thing defending them, and while looking for an example of a good use case (hard to find), I found something that I require to be a joke:

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that one. Man, the early days of Microsoft Office Charts were a dark era, full of needless 3D effects and word art.

To be fair to stacked area charts (which they absolutely do not deserve at all), they're probably the best way to show an at-a-glance change in percentage over time. As long as the total area is constant, they can be kinda useful for approximations, but people keep trying to use them for variable total data sets

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Also can someone explain, or link to a explanation, on why pie charts are bad or atleast not good, and what the supposed best chart for that kind of info would be?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wikipedia pie chart effectiveness

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Communist Zombie posted:

Also can someone explain, or link to a explanation, on why pie charts are bad or atleast not good, and what the supposed best chart for that kind of info would be?

If the screenshots are nation-level, then a diverse nation will be unreadable. I may be basing this off of my mid-to-late game Stellaris xenophile experiences.

Edit: as for a better solution, something like an EU4-style ledger (with only data from your nation displayed) with a Cultures/ethnicities page. The page could have columns for absolute number of pops, percent of population, percent employed in various strata, and political power by ethnicity. Now, it would be really interesting from a historical simulation perspective (but terrible for gameplay) if the technological level of the administrative apparatus of the state determined the granularity of the information presented. Maybe something for EU5.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 13, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

If the screenshots are nation-level, then a diverse nation will be unreadable. I may be basing this off of my mid-to-late game Stellaris xenophile experiences.

Yeah. You'll have whatever majority there is, eating a large chunk of the pie, and a rainbow of slashes of color making a mire out of the remainder for all the minorities. Its pretty, but not terribly informative.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Communist Zombie posted:

Humans are astonishingly bad at judging the area of segments of a circle. We're much, much better at squares, which is why people were talking about waffle charts, which are basically pie charts as chunks of a square rather than slices of a circle.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Arrath posted:

Yeah. You'll have whatever majority there is, eating a large chunk of the pie, and a rainbow of slashes of color making a mire out of the remainder for all the minorities. Its pretty, but not terribly informative.

"You have the majority and then a bunch of tiny minorities" IS informative though?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Edit: as for a better solution, something like an EU4-style ledger (with only data from your nation displayed) with a Cultures/ethnicities page. The page could have columns for absolute number of pops, percent of population, percent employed in various strata, and political power by ethnicity. Now, it would be really interesting from a historical simulation perspective (but terrible for gameplay) if the technological level of the administrative apparatus of the state determined the granularity of the information presented. Maybe something for EU5.

i can only imagine the statistics technology becoming the most powerful tech to rush for in the game

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kaza42 posted:

To be fair to stacked area charts (which they absolutely do not deserve at all), they're probably the best way to show an at-a-glance change in percentage over time. As long as the total area is constant, they can be kinda useful for approximations, but people keep trying to use them for variable total data sets
They’re perfectly fine for a variable total data set, as long as the number of categories is kept low enough. Like, it can show in a very clear way how, say, the introduction of a new far superior product in a category not only takes over the market share of previous products, but in fact induces demand for that category beyond what existed before.

A chart type being a good or bad choice is far more about what is being communicated than anything intrinsic to the chart.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Victoria 3 CSV exports when

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Minenfeld! posted:

Yeah but we're waiting for the patch with the first DLC to fix the factory designer.

I'm not playing until the Straits DLC gets released.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

and yet counters still remain in the dustbin :argh:

I pine for sliders.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

If they really wanted to get period-accurate and the art team has some spare time, they could also do the other Victorian infographical method for showing ethnic diversity in global empires: embellished maps with caricatures of all the different ethnic groups they have subjegated civilised. I mean, if they draw out all the caricatures they could probably even generate those dynamically.

(slightly NSFW for victorians drawing neoclassical-y topless women)

B.F. Pinkerton
Nov 29, 2021

Paul's Boutique
(+1) 718-498-1043
Brooklyn, New York

Red Bones posted:

If they really wanted to get period-accurate and the art team has some spare time, they could also do the other Victorian infographical method for showing ethnic diversity in global empires: embellished maps with caricatures of all the different ethnic groups they have subjegated civilised. I mean, if they draw out all the caricatures they could probably even generate those dynamically.

Something like this would be cool to see, however I feel like it might be a lot to ask of the art team. Unless they designed a handful of assets to represent certain groups, which would simply appear on the map as you gained territory in that region, I don't see how they could reasonably implement that feature. The racial and ethnic caricatures would also inevitably land the entire team in hot water and that wouldn't be worth it imo.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

B.F. Pinkerton posted:

Something like this would be cool to see, however I feel like it might be a lot to ask of the art team. Unless they designed a handful of assets to represent certain groups, which would simply appear on the map as you gained territory in that region, I don't see how they could reasonably implement that feature. The racial and ethnic caricatures would also inevitably land the entire team in hot water and that wouldn't be worth it imo.

Just use the leader pics from V1! Then everyone is happy.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Red Bones posted:

Caricatures aside, I can't get enough of this Art Noveau art style.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Victoria 3 CSV exports when

Victoria 3 Python/R API pipeline

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Katya is gonna hate this

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-29-user-experience.1506484/

Hot off the presses, get ya graphs here

You've got your line graphs, your box plots, your pie charts, nested tooltips, contextual map modes, macrobuilders, right clicking on the map to get action lists, colorblind mode?! stop stop, I can only buy the game so many times'

Edit: My only real unaddressed concern is about alerts, I despised the way CK3 did it

Zeron fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 13, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo the colour blind modes are actually really good. The default green/red and shades they use have always been really rough on my eyes but the examples they showed in the DD are fantastic.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ah, good, you get the choice between objectively superior pie charts and waffle charts. Now everyone is happy even the wrong people.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hellioning posted:

Ah, good, you get the choice between objectively superior pie charts and waffle charts. Now everyone is happy even the wrong people.

What about those of us who want all data expressed through nato counters??

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just let me emit my Victoria 3 metrics to Kafka/Kinesis and I'll handle the rest.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
building a powerbi dashboard using an azure data cube that reads directly from my running victoria 3 executable (NOT A JOKE)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

building a powerbi dashboard using an azure data cube that reads directly from my running victoria 3 executable (NOT A JOKE)

Speak not the black speech of PowerBI here, this is a sacred space.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Can I export these charts to excel?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Next dev diary will be about fixing log4j vulnerabilities in the elastisearch instance powering data visualization?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Victoria 3 Now availible on PC, Linux, Mac, and Jupyter notebook

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I think the real highlight of that dev diary is showing there are indigenous states and tribes rather than having the land there be free for all for "civilized" nations to claim.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If the land is not free, then my maxim guns shall make it so.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Can I export these charts to excel?

Yeah, it's not a real administrative simulation unless there's a step that involves exporting data to excel, having excel break all the formatting, and then having to re-import it with all the new errors.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sheep posted:

Next dev diary will be about fixing log4j vulnerabilities in the elastisearch instance powering data visualization?

International crisis as one great power deploys hostage software on another's data.

Everyone rushes to mobilize for war. Nobody knows how many soldiers have actually mobilized.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Have more informative charts locked behind a tech! Start with everything using pie charts and only get the graph of growing GDP only after you have researched mathematics.
I can totally see myself obsessing over the growth of a portion of the piechart over previous week one.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i actually kind of like the idea of progressively better data gathering and visualization, especially in this era

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Orange Devil posted:

Everyone rushes to mobilize for war. Nobody knows how many soldiers have actually mobilized.

Period accurate, for the early era at least.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

RattiRatto posted:

Have more informative charts locked behind a tech! Start with everything using pie charts and only get the graph of growing GDP only after you have researched mathematics.
I can totally see myself obsessing over the growth of a portion of the piechart over previous week one.

Seconding this idea, it'd be really incredible for learning the game too so it doesn't vomit 10,000 information bits at you right at the start when even period leaders didn't have that info at the ready.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Didn't the original, good Sword of the Stars make you unlock certain UI and basic management capabilities through tech research?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

What about those of us who want all data expressed through nato counters??

You aren’t people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
intentionally obfuscating information presented to the player isn't really good game design tbh even if it is immersive