Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The menuing is pretty slick considering you don't see the cards with the glitch active

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bad Bone Luck

Boosted Big Bone

e: Final Big Bone

rox
Sep 7, 2016

thats a lot of posts overnight

im sad i missed awfulblock ;(

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

the yeti posted:

I kinda figured ‘portfolio’ made it clear I meant the art people donate as prizes but fine I’ll edit my post

Sorry, 99% of the time "donation" refers to the monetary type, and the chat before was about them filtering some of those out, thought you were being pithy about that.

For prize donations, they'll do similar to a runner background check, not crazy in depth but as long as you're not a walking red flag store, you're fine.

The prize itself has a whole lot of checks, it needs to be relevant to a game in the schedule (or be something really cool game related), be appropriate ("PG-13"), and of course, you have to actually deliver the thing, failure on any of those can easily get you prize banned.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

that run was g reat

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Slickdrac posted:

Sorry, 99% of the time "donation" refers to the monetary type, and the chat before was about them filtering some of those out, thought you were being pithy about that.

For prize donations, they'll do similar to a runner background check, not crazy in depth but as long as you're not a walking red flag store, you're fine.

The prize itself has a whole lot of checks, it needs to be relevant to a game in the schedule (or be something really cool game related), be appropriate ("PG-13"), and of course, you have to actually deliver the thing, failure on any of those can easily get you prize banned.

All good, thanks :)

I ask cause I can’t imagine committing to a big piece of art if there’s a risk the prize coordinator might reject it

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Stux posted:

that run was g reat
:yeah:

I had to duck out for a bit after awful block, and Bloody Tears just hits different after that auditory assault.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i actually liked lament of innocence when i played it last year but it definitely suffers from that dark cloudy "every room looks/feels the same" problem. have not played curse of darkness yet, I'm doing the classic collection this month instead (so far played through C3 and Kid Dracula)

rox
Sep 7, 2016

love simons powerwalk cycle

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there was like 400 posts while i was asleep and I'm not gonna read all that so which were the choice runs?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well I dunno where you dozed off, but since I got on, Majora's mask, Zelda's Adventure and Discworld have been highlights of the day for me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol that vertical climb with the dolls would infuriate me

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The Awful Block peaked at Zadette imo. Short enough to not outstay its welcome, and close enough to be a great 4 way race.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TeaJay posted:

Well I dunno where you dozed off, but since I got on, Majora's mask, Zelda's Adventure and Discworld have been highlights of the day for me.

checked out after Splatoon so I'll put those on the vod list

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm assuming tasbot is being phased out if they're now accepting regular TAS submissions to the marathon

Simon Belmondo

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

aw, KTANE is a cool game but i find it way less fun to watch solo people playing it

still glad to see it at GDQ, though

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

someone awful. posted:

aw, KTANE is a cool game but i find it way less fun to watch solo people playing it

still glad to see it at GDQ, though

Doing The Centurion on this would be absolute CHAOS. very in theme for the game but would be even harder to follow and would mean no explanations of how the various puzzles work

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The last Half Life 2 run I saw involved save/loading for like 20mins straight.

Looking forward to this run

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
probably partly nostalgia but i love hl runs. the jump movement is always great

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

"We call this quick clip because you can quickly clip through walls"

Who was it that described naming the various glitches either a) something incredibly weird or b) something that describes them exactly

I do love runs like this with item clips, like Skyrim where a bucket is a ticket to breaking the game

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TeaJay posted:

Who was it that described naming the various glitches either a) something incredibly weird or b) something that describes them exactly

I do love runs like this with item clips, like Skyrim where a bucket is a ticket to breaking the game

There is also c) naming it after the person who discovered them. I am pretty sure part of the reason why there is a mgs run during the event because of the boba skip being discovered.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

site posted:

probably partly nostalgia but i love hl runs. the jump movement is always great
retro FPS runs (and yes half life 2 counts at this point) are always good, i love the speed of retro shooter movement

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

elentar posted:

Colour of Magic is still really good! By, like, parody fantasy standards. It’s just not a true representation of what the series would become, because starting from something like Small Gods or Moving pictures or especially Night Watch and working backwards will break your mind a little too much.

Mort is probably the earliest book I’d start someone out on. Just a good solid story overall without leaning too heavily on the fantasy parodies like the Colour of Magic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The 7th Guest posted:

retro FPS runs (and yes half life 2 counts at this point) are always good, i love the speed of retro shooter movement

yeah the quake done quick vids are also really fun

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The event went this long and I only now realized that THE FRIGGIN' LAYOUT FLASHES ACCORDING TO WHO IS SPEAKING AT THE TIME

Wizardry, I tell ya. Never have to ask "who is this and this" again!

rox
Sep 7, 2016

TeaJay posted:

its been said by many many (funnier) people before but if youre talking about in this thread, i said something similar earlier

haha what posted:

"cory in the house glitch"

man i love the goofy names they come up with for speed tech

its always stuff like "left side clip" or "deez" with absolutely no in between

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i havent watched an hl2 run in a while so this has been a real treat

seems to me like theyve made tons of improvements and discovered new tech since the last one i saw

rox
Sep 7, 2016

gordon has transcended the need for a physical form and alyx died on the way back to her home planet

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It'll be fun to see a speedrun of KTANE, played it sometimes with a friend.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nice :kazooieass: pins, sent

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

TeaJay posted:

It'll be fun to see a speedrun of KTANE, played it sometimes with a friend.

I've been playing it a bunch recently, finished all the regular bombs and learning some of the mods now. The bomb he'll be solving, the Centurion, is absolutely insane and I have no idea how they'll be able to reliably complete it while providing commentary.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i know they're being aggressive because of the record numbers but having a $100K donation incentive close within 2 hours while there's also a $170K donation incentive closing within the next 8 hours seems incredibly stupid

e: the RE8 incentive will def be met because kingdom hearts always brings in donations. but lost judgement's is $5k out of 100K right now and there's just 2 hours to go lol

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 13, 2022

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Runner is softlocked. Send help.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

e: the RE8 incentive will def be met because kingdom hearts always brings in donations people are horny for the tall vampire lady

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've not seen this game played outside of VR... it seems like it'd be a less fun experience outside of VR with physically handling the box via hand controllers

I've only ever played it in VR

e: oh okay, it's loving massive, that makes sense now

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

aw man, no in-game sound either :(

the centurion is god drat massive, i love it

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Does he have the manual off screen, or has he memorized all the solutions? Doing this solo seems kinda silly, but that's a Big Badda Boom.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GigaPeon posted:

Does he have the manual off screen, or has he memorized all the solutions? Doing this solo seems kinda silly, but that's a Big Badda Boom.

Both: he's got the manuals but this guy knows a lot of the modules anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rox
Sep 7, 2016

little column a little column b