Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
:ohdear: i wonder what that little green dude dreamed about all those years :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Buy him an account!!!

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

It's not that bad, yet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Alobar posted:

:ohdear: i wonder what that little green dude dreamed about all those years :unsmith:

the collapse of the biosphere obviously

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

wow not very many posts overnight, looks like global warming is over

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Buy him an account!!!

bdelloid rotifer would be a good username

Commander Jameson
Apr 29, 2013

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

I did not expect whatever the heck this was but tbh im just glad it's not that bad yet

lmao

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Alobar posted:

"I had the strangest dream, a bunch of idiots on a dead forum were lining up to have my picture on something called a 'rap sheet'"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

everyone dieed of biosphere collapse

Eichel
Apr 23, 2008

Little Oak Thing

vyelkin posted:

capture my carbon, bby

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

vyelkin posted:

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

kater
Nov 16, 2010

vyelkin posted:

whats a bedlleiod rotifier

Malah
May 18, 2015

vyelkin posted:

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway: crypto in general is still a massive contributor towards climate change, right? I'm seeing shite from cryptobros on Twitter about how networks like Solana or whatever are so much more environmentally friendly than Bitcoin and Ethereum and shite like that, and I know it's bullshit (because all crypto is bullshit) but could I get some confirmation from this thread that there is no such thing as an environmentally friendly cryptocurrency or NFT or other such bullshit?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Confirmed. Have a great day!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Venomous posted:

stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway: crypto in general is still a massive contributor towards climate change, right? I'm seeing shite from cryptobros on Twitter about how networks like Solana or whatever are so much more environmentally friendly than Bitcoin and Ethereum and shite like that, and I know it's bullshit (because all crypto is bullshit) but could I get some confirmation from this thread that there is no such thing as an environmentally friendly cryptocurrency or NFT or other such bullshit?

Correct. While they are usually more efficient than bitcoin that's not a high bar to clear and they're still absolutely awful as compared to functional means of conducting transactions and they're a total waste besides.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Grant_Marek/status/1481668638520217603?s=20

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

:yeshaha:

The sea will reclaim all of our filth, regardless if there's still life in it or not!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well while everyone is waiting for their probes to finish I guess they can enjoy the survey results

On average, goons think civilization will collapse* around 2053 (as early as 2033, no later than 2159). I had to prune some of the numbers that ran into billions of years because they'd gently caress with these averages. In the end there was only a handful of values above the year 3000, and the next highest was 2300. So I pruned everything above 2300.

*the survey presented this as "what year do you think you, personally, will struggle to feed your family or have to defend yourself from others who are struggling to feed their family" - a controversial definition but I wanted to keep people on the same page

A more useful metric might be the median, as it reduces the influence of outliers. Half of goons think civilization will collapse around or before 2040.

But because people tend to pick nice round numbers (as seen above), the median isn't always that great for showing differences between subsets, so given the very few 'outliers' that were pruned, I'll stick to averages anyway.

Does engagement with the thread predict doomerism? Probably! Goons that read the thread obsessively are far* more doomer:

*i'm not gonna say significantly more doomer because i frankly can't be bothered to analyse the actual statistical significance**)

**and even if I did, there is VERY MUCH a sampling bias here because the latter two groups will be under-represented in the survey

Younger goons are far more hopeful (i.e. "dear civilization, please live longer than me :(")

Goons' attitudes to children don't seem to make a whole lot of difference to doomerism, which surprised me, but it might be because there's too much noise-to-signal in the data (which might also explain that weird anomaly there in the third category)

clarification: "hopes for" is shorthand for wanting, expecting, or hoping for children at some future point

I might do some more analysis tomorrow on location and media consumption but that will be more of a ballache so I'll just finish with this:

vyelkin posted:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I meant to post this here

I was just thinking, it must have been nice to be a boomer. You experienced the 70's in your 20's, got a real nice job with an astronomical paycheck, and had everything handed to you for the next 50 years, and now you get to watch the world you created burn so no one else can enjoy it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Iron Crowned posted:

I meant to post this here

I was just thinking, it must have been nice to be a boomer. You experienced the 70's in your 20's, got a real nice job with an astronomical paycheck, and had everything handed to you for the next 50 years, and now you get to watch the world you created burn so no one else can enjoy it.

Surely the best generation to be born in in all of human history. Unfortunately the flip of it is you have severe brain disease, self-entitlement, generally a huge unlikable prick.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I didn't fill out the survey because I couldn't decide what 'civilization collapse' means. The only way to effectively kill off civilization for certain is for bad zombie TV show levels of quick death (coronavirus says "hold my beer"), otherwise we did pretty good for ourselves with stone age tech for a very long time, but this time with more iron freely available.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Wait there was a survey? How did I miss this?!?! I live in the thread, I'm middle aged, collapse of western civilization by 2025 at the latest, babies should be executed on sight.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Venomous posted:

The main reason you'll see this argument is the difference in "proof of work" and "proof of stake" coins.

With Bitcoin and all offshoots of that original proof of work design (Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, 4000 others) the coins are generated by mining which was originally devised as a CPU based activity of simply crunching numbers to generate blocks and push through transactions. Everyone knows what the price of bitcoin and cryptocurrency in general did to the concept of mining so now all proof of work coins have people all over the world pummeling the power grid, using literal entire powerplants now to overclock computers and pump terawatts of wasted power into generating functionally useless digital gambling tokens in a never ending arms race.

Now "Environmentally Friendly" cryptocurrencies are more friendly for the environment, relatively. Proof of stake means that a user just buys 10,000 Poopcoin and "Stakes" it by attributing it to a stake pool. Then they are paid 1.0 poopcoins a day for letting that stake pool "use" their coins even though the original user always maintains ownership and the stake pools are just using their combined contributed coin totals to process transactions. The user no longer even needs to load the wallet or the blockchain or turn on a computer. Their wallet on the blockchain will accumulate stake rewards with no other interaction. Zero energy usage from the user is required unless they actually want to trade or generate transactions.

Why these aren't environmentally friendly is that the stake pools take over and act like proof of work miners, where you need computer capacity to run these stake pools. Some stake pools are better than others due to the amount of power being thrown at them. They are also not environmentally friendly because all cryptocurrency is functionally useless and the transactions are solely for digital gambling so any amount of power saved by stepping down from the horrendously wasteful proof of work to the less wasteful proof of stake isn't really meaningful as it's still wasting power by design.

So no, no cryptocurrency is friendly for the environment. Some are just less wasteful than the horrific bitcoin model. You can also ignore any "Green" or whatever cryptocurrencies that claim they are net negative emissions by planting a tree for each transaction or whatever. It's still a currently useless technology with no point wasting power even if a nerd spent a really long time devising carbon credits but with bitcoin.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Jan 13, 2022

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
what are your feelings about cars

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Car Hater posted:

Wait there was a survey? How did I miss this?!?! I live in the thread, I'm middle aged, collapse of western civilization by 2025 at the latest, babies should be executed on sight.

What do you think about manbabies? Does this change if the manbabies have electric cars?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The main reason you'll see this argument is the difference in "proof of work" and "proof of stake" coins.

With Bitcoin and all offshoots of that original proof of work design (Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, 4000 others) the coins are generated by mining which was originally devised as a CPU based activity of simply crunching numbers to generate blocks and push through transactions. Everyone knows what the price of bitcoin and cryptocurrency in general did to the concept of mining so now all proof of work coins have people all over the world pummeling the power grid, using literal entire powerplants now to overclock computers and pump terawatts of wasted power into generating functionally useless digital gambling tokens in a never ending arms race.

Now "Environmentally Friendly" cryptocurrencies are more friendly for the environment, relatively. Proof of stake means that a user just buys 10,000 Poopcoin and "Stakes" it by attributing it to a stake pool. Then they are paid 1.0 poopcoins a day for letting that stake pool "use" their coins even though the original user always maintains ownership and the stake pools are just using their combined contributed coin totals to process transactions.

Why these aren't environmentally friendly is that the stake pools act like proof of work miners, where you need computer capacity to run these stake pools. Some stake pools are better than others due to the amount of power being thrown at them. They are also not environmentally friendly because all cryptocurrency is functionally useless and the transactions are solely for digital gambling so any amount of power saved by stepping down from the horrendously wasteful proof of work to the wasteful-but-less-so model of proof of stake is

So no, no cryptocurrency is friendly for the environment. Some are just less wasteful than the horrific bitcoin model. You can also ignore any "Green" or whatever cryptocurrencies that claim they are net negative emissions by planting a tree for each transaction or whatever. It's still a currently useless technology with no point wasting power even if a nerd spent a really long time devising carbon credits but with bitcoin.

Gambling is a function secondary to money laundering.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

wynott dunn posted:

what are your feelings about cars

i think they are cool

i want one of those SUVs that are like 18,000lbs that can't even get up to the speed limit between red lights

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

vyelkin posted:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rectal Death Adept posted:

i think they are cool

i want one of those SUVs that are like 18,000lbs that can't even get up to the speed limit between red lights

we solved that problem by putting engines the size of small cars into them so now you can drive a semi truck and also accelerate to 60mph in 5 seconds

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Lmao "could"

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

vyelkin posted:

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

vyelkin posted:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

vyelkin posted:

Look, let's establish, once again, that there is a huge BDELLOID headed towards Earth. And the reason we know that there is a BDELLOID is because we saw it. We saw it with our own eyes using a microscope. I mean, for God's sake, we took a loving picture of it! What other proof do we need?

Right, well, the president of the United States. Is loving. LYING! Look I'm just like all of you. I hope to God, I hope to... God that this president knows what she's doing. I hope she's got us all taken care of, but the truth is... I think, this whole administration, has completely. Lost. Their loving mind! And I think. We're all. Gonna die!

photoshop request: Dr Mindy X bdelloid