Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Ardennes posted:

Attempting to influence multiple elections, especially vis a vie Nordstream 2.

not sure how that shows anything connected to gladio, but ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

US government is so weak they can't even stop their own armed forces from destroying themselves with plague lmao

I have to admit that I do get some nerdy pangs of frustration seeing my own country be so bad at this - but we're also the evil empire so I'm glad we're destroying ourselves. I just can't get rid of that "you're doing it wrong" impulse.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

A Bakers Cousin posted:

not sure how that shows anything connected to gladio, but ok

That is where the 2 comes in.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

we're also the evil empire

don’t lump me in with that poo poo!!!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
How are they planning on taking on China with only two carrier groups?

https://news.usni.org/category/fleet-tracker

Two Carrier Strike Groups and one Amphibious group in theater at the moment. Substantial... but this is China we're talking about here, you're gonna need more than that.

And then lol let's saber rattle with Russia too why not. The Truman is in the Med right now and Essex is on Iran duty. Every other carrier in the fleet seems to be drydocked at the moment.

So if China manages to get a cheeky AshM or torpedo through the screen and mission-kills/regular-kills a carrier, welp that's half the CSGs in the Pacific right there.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

American hyperpower is premised on being able to put out fires everywhere at once. So it's only natural that as soon as there's a real challenge to our dominance by a regional power we're way too overstretched to meet it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yeah none of this will go anywhere.

we got so many goddamn shots. often multiple times even with records in hand showing we already got em. all these lawsuits are for show and delay.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

American hyperpower is premised on being able to put out fires everywhere at once. So it's only natural that as soon as there's a real challenge to our dominance by a regional power we're way too overstretched to meet it.
I'm pretty sure it's premised on being able to start fires everywhere at once.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

skooma512 posted:

How are they planning on taking on China with only two carrier groups?

https://news.usni.org/category/fleet-tracker

Two Carrier Strike Groups and one Amphibious group in theater at the moment. Substantial... but this is China we're talking about here, you're gonna need more than that.

And then lol let's saber rattle with Russia too why not. The Truman is in the Med right now and Essex is on Iran duty. Every other carrier in the fleet seems to be drydocked at the moment.

So if China manages to get a cheeky AshM or torpedo through the screen and mission-kills/regular-kills a carrier, welp that's half the CSGs in the Pacific right there.

I'm sure Xi is pissing in his pants with that mighty Amphibious Group aka Okinawa schoolgirl rapists

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm pretty sure it's premised on being able to start fires everywhere at once.

Oh God no.

You want to be starting all the fires one at a time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

That reminds me of how top brass are all required to clear ranger school these days, which was probably arrived at to solve exactly the problem being quoted there.

https://mwi.usma.edu/ranger-school-not-leadership-school/

quote:

Consequently, Ranger School is more of a character and leadership assessment than a leadership school. Students do learn whether they can lead (or follow) when tired, hungry, physically on the edge of exhaustion, and pushed to their often previously untested limits—but not necessarily how to do so.

Lt. Gen. Robert Caslen, the United States Military Academy superintendent, often uses the analogy of a coffee cup to explain character. All of your values (duty, selfless service, courage, respect) are poured into the cup until it is almost overflowing. Then life gives your elbow a bump and your values spill out, exposing your true character. Ranger School is more like getting into a car wreck. It is a collision, not a jostle. After weeks of starvation, sleep deprivation, pushing toward physical limits, and stress—all while being evaluated—your true character will come spilling out.

To be sure, any soldier who attends Ranger School will be a better leader for it. Army doctrine ascribes to the ideal Army leader a “strong intellect, physical presence, professional competence, [and] moral character.” Ranger School graduates will have demonstrated their intellect in making decisions under extreme conditions, their competence in infantry squad and platoon tactics, their physical presence in multiple evaluated events, and their character attributes while working as a team member and leader to accomplish difficult missions. But any leadership development is principally a tangential function of Ranger School’s tactical instruction and assessment. Such development is not a top priority.

So the bottom line is, Ranger school will make you a much better combat soldier and commander at the tactical level - but doesn't really prepare you for anything at the operational level or gives you the leadership skills to be a good operational commander. And because Ranger school is so physically grueling, you have a lot of people dropping out who would have otherwise been good leaders - especially women soldiers who have more difficulty meeting the physical challenges.

So by trying to solve the small unit tactics problem in a kind of "send the intellectuals to the fields" method of leadership training, you end up filtering down your pool of recruits for command to a bunch of athletic males whose small unit tactics training won't be any use in a top command position.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

I like this book so far but can you break these up into smaller chunks because it's impossible to read on mobile. Like separate by page and post them one after the other on a separate line so we can enlarge it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lol at that guy complaining about the m113

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That reminds me of how top brass are all required to clear ranger school these days, which was probably arrived at to solve exactly the problem being quoted there.

So the bottom line is, Ranger school will make you a much better combat soldier and commander at the tactical level - but doesn't really prepare you for anything at the operational level or gives you the leadership skills to be a good operational commander. And because Ranger school is so physically grueling, you have a lot of people dropping out who would have otherwise been good leaders - especially women soldiers who have more difficulty meeting the physical challenges.

So by trying to solve the small unit tactics problem in a kind of "send the intellectuals to the fields" method of leadership training, you end up filtering down your pool of recruits for command to a bunch of athletic males whose small unit tactics training won't be any use in a top command position.

Really need all that training for regular activities such as:
-Revolving door grifts
-Hiding in firebases
-Enjoying life in glorified holiday resorts
-Droning weddings
-Raping girls
-Spreading diseases

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HonorableTB posted:

I like this book so far but can you break these up into smaller chunks because it's impossible to read on mobile. Like separate by page and post them one after the other on a separate line so we can enlarge it

let me know if this works better:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
That works a lot better, thanks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A tangential link to another book I read last year is that the bit about the US committing to Vietnam without a workable plan for logistics paved the way for the military to adopt shipping containers as a standard for transporting freight/cargo, and the port at Cam Ranh Bay became one of the big container-capable ports in Asia, second only to Japan at the time

not only did this popularize containerized shipping at a time when adoption was rather slow, but this was also one of the larger examples of privatization creeping into military operations, since the shipping was contracted-out to a private firm

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

gradenko_2000 posted:

let me know if this works better:
[...]
This looks perfect on my phone.

Edit: Beaten.

In any event, these excerpts are great!

Ardlen has issued a correction as of 09:33 on Jan 7, 2022

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

much appreciated Gradenko

btw, what program do you use to read?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

much appreciated Gradenko

btw, what program do you use to read?

i use "calibre" for opening ebook files, and my computer just defaults to using Microsoft Edge for PDFs (and in that case I track which page I stopped on, on a piece of paper)

calibre is nice because it natively supports highlighting text passages, which makes for very neat annotations

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the way the navy does it now with officers is still pretty bad and reminds me of this lol. then they stack up or out on top of it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gotta get all those fortunate sons their requisite prestige appointments so they can leverage it back home in the private or public sector.

Matters way more than effective command; what if you get someone who is good at their job and consequently gets all the glory due to Percival

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/HiraethResists/status/1479117715558191104?s=20

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
now do it with one of those boston dynamics dogs

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

keep posting this, it’s really good

also lol rip to the cook :ohdear:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

healthcare pls

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

healthcare pls

those are Royal Marines lol

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Yes, we will lose WWIII.

Any fool would know that.

Good bye.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

healthcare pls

Nah gently caress that I want a jet pack.

I mean I’d prefer to do it without having to canoe an afghani family, but I’m trying to set realistic expectations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
more from "About Face"

personal note: I read Bernard Fall's "Street Without Joy" in 2018, about a month before I went to visit Vietnam (while in Vietnam itself I bought and read a biography of General Giap). I wasn't aware that Fall's book was published before American involvement in Indochina, but it's quite surprising to me as well because that particular book was basically a telling of America's woes in Vietnam well before they got there, and I imagine it would have helped if more people in their leadership were aware of it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Every honest thing you'll read about the vietnam war will have you flabbergasted and that little excerpt is no exception. Holy loving moly the high command was dumb

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I guess the real takeaway is that overwhelming material superiority makes you stupid. The Vietnamese had to exploit every possible homefield advantage they could just to give the Americans a bloody nose, and we couldn't even tell that we were loving up from the sheer destruction we waged on the whole country.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I love this is what we have instead of healthcare, school textbooks, the ability to feed school kids, just a properly functioning society.

Just how much money wasted for this impractical as gently caress thing

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Oh lol never mind

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

NHS pls

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

National Health (Insurance) System

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lmao staff officers that should be planning are being forced to do exhausting backbreaking endurance courses?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

does this exercise assume a ship where everyone aboard dropped dead and they just need someone to go turn the engine off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
the NVA were one of the finest and most effective military forces in history