Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hit a 365 day streak in Duolingo. Still suck at language and have absolutely been phoning it in the last little bit just to keep the streak going. Life should be a bit more settled in the new year so working on it properly again soon is looking promising and keeping the habit in play should hopefully help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I hit my savings goal for the year! I'm not saving for anything in particular since I cancelled the trip I was saving for, but I just kept going. It's not much but it's mine :)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Two of my books showed up today, and this copy of Salem's Lot is ancient. 1976 or so. I don't normally pay attention to printing age or anything like that, as I'm not a collector in that sense, but it's really awesome to see a mass market paperback printing that old, still in readable (though kinda beat up) condition.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Remember that job I got this year?

I am still here, and they have done an awards ceremony and I won something!

"Outstanding Newcomer Award"

I am very blessed for this career and its been an honor to help develop and distribute all Covid Tests happening to America in the coming months!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I got to commit Christmas fraud this morning. Some lady was outside throwing a couple of bits of "eaten" carrot on the ground to pretend the reindeer had been snacking on them. I happened to be running past at just the right time so got enlisted to excitedly tell some kids that I just saw Santa and look at the stuff the reindeer left on the ground as they sped away.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
we've been going through my stepdad's stuff, and there was a large cardboard box with some photo albums inside that I assumed was just a box of photos and stuff. well we went through it recently and inside under the photo albums were about 4 shoeboxes full of semi-sorted baseball cards from around 1960-1966, and half a shoebox full of baseball coins:

I went through one of the shoeboxes thoroughly today, while some stuff was fairly damaged by either handling, rubber bands, or jostling in the box loose over time, there's a lot in really really nice shape, and these fellas:

I'm currently researching my options, but I definitely want to take them to someone who can appraise them and recommend if I should get some of them graded or not. the difference in value on, say, those mickey mantles ungraded vs graded is staggering.

it's a pipe dream but if I can somehow come out of the other end of these sports cards with enough to put new siding on my house, I would be over the moon. as is, even if they were ungraded, I think I could get at least a few thousand for these ones I picked out, and a ton of the other cards are a couple bucks each at least. I could probably bulk lot that stuff for a sizeable amount, there's enough of the 1964 topps set to almost fill a 1000-card box, so I think there's most if not all of a complete set among all these shoeboxes, and in good shape to boot.

mom got nothing from my stepdad's will due to the will that was submitted being from 2013, his biological kids get everything(and "everything" is a LOT of money), so if we can scrounge up enough from the stuff we were able to salvage from his house to get new siding on our house, that would be more than enough to me.

bad sugarpop habit
Apr 15, 2021

I came out to my family and everyone was supportive and fantastic and there was no disowning or going no-contact involved.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I finally beat the first boss in Nioh which has been giving me a lot of trouble.

Also got a tax rebate, so that's an extra £318 that I wouldn't have had this month.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

bad sugarpop habit posted:

I came out to my family and everyone was supportive and fantastic and there was no disowning or going no-contact involved.

Congrats! That's great.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m so happy for you! It’s great that your family supports you that way. Yay!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, that's rad as hell. Props to you for the bravery and props to your fam for being cool.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hell yeah congrats :)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

You're all cheering for it going well but none of you are asking the right questions.

j/k congrats on a super stressful thing going really well for you.

bad sugarpop habit
Apr 15, 2021

Inceltown posted:

You're all cheering for it going well but none of you are asking the right questions.

j/k congrats on a super stressful thing going really well for you.

haha, I was looking for this exact image when I told some of my friends how well it went, but didn't want to try to search for it for obvious reasons

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Got a raise and bonus

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
There's a small independent (meaning they're not affiliated with any pro club and operate on their own within a summer league) baseball team called the Savannah Bananas. Going to their games is incredibly fun even if you don't like baseball because they twist the rules of baseball into crazy poo poo like having a guy on stilts up to bat and making him run the bases. They're incredibly fan-centric and get them involved in the games. They have something like a four year running sellout streak and tickets are tough to get.

Anyway, I bought a shirt off their website from them yesterday and this morning I got a shipment notification saying it was in the mail. I thought that was pretty quick but didn't think much else of it. A little while ago I got a call from a lady that works for the Bananas that called and told me thanks for thinking of them, buying the shirt they really appreciate it and to let me know that it was in the mail. Such a small little 30 second call but it was :3: as hell and made my day.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This is the littlest of littest, but just now, when we took our rescue dog for a walk, he met a very friendly dog who looked just like the dog he got fostered with when he was a baby, so he was super happy. Then about an hour later, we were walking back from the shop and he met the same friendly dog, and they said Hi to each other again, and my sweet boy was so happy about meeting his friend again, he behaved like he'd met a very old and precious friend again.
Henry is a sweet and loving baby boy :3

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/z9UaGUB.gifv

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
My baby boy is 2 months old now after my previous post in the thread, I got my diploma and just got a job!

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

My night, actually. I played to the end of Disco Elysium and cried. Such an amazing game. Simple things, init. A touching story, and some cracking dialogue, and I'm crying. That's good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just had a couple comedian pals over late at night. One guy gets a call from his mom at 1am about something sweet, but due to the late hour he decides to pretend that he just woke up do the funniest bit that I've heard in years, just drilling into the specifics of his mom's concerns and hopes for his good night's sleep, riffing with the precision accuracy that only a great comic can pull off. Everyone in the room was absolutely dying trying not to let the mom overhear. Which, of course, just made the guy go further and... well, really, you had to be there. Blah blah blah.

Point is, it was the most I've laughed in two years and it made me feel really, really good. God I miss feeling good. But stifling my giggles during that call for a few minutes made me feel like I was back.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My friend has a podcast about movies, and I've been a guest for three episodes so far, and people seem to like our banter to the point those are the most downloaded podcasts.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Cowslips Warren posted:

My friend has a podcast about movies, and I've been a guest for three episodes so far, and people seem to like our banter to the point those are the most downloaded podcasts.
That's awesome!

Yesterday I finally, *finally* got new glasses :toot: my prescription had barely changed, but my old lenses were incredibly scuffed and generally in awful shape, and then my frames broke two weeks ago to boot, so it was definitely time!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Got my booster shot, and I only cried a little bit!
Then I was told that I could keep the pen I used to fill out the forms!
Woo, free pen!
When I got home I played a game of RISK online, won, and only cried a little bit!
Overall, good day!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've let my sister borrow my car a few times over the last couple months due to hers having troubles, and my dad dropped me off at work (We all live together). She offered to fill it up since she drives farther to work than I do, and I'm not sure she did, but no biggie.

Today, she surprised me with a thank you card, a pack of wintergreen Lifesavers that I like, and a loving Gundam kit :aaaaa:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ayin posted:

That's awesome!

Yesterday I finally, *finally* got new glasses :toot: my prescription had barely changed, but my old lenses were incredibly scuffed and generally in awful shape, and then my frames broke two weeks ago to boot, so it was definitely time!

If anyone wants to guess what I sound like: https://valleywestcinemaspodcast.podbean.com/

Awesome things today: got my computer back up and working. Got my front doorknob fixed. Got to hang out with my friend a bit while he did the repairs, and he didn't want to charge me, and I hope I didn't underpay by shoving a fifty bill in his hand.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

congrats from a month in the future!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I just bought some new shoes this past Sunday, and while I'm still breaking them in, coming home today without constant heel pain is a utter blessing.

For anyone who who needs a good stability shoe or has plantar fasciitis, I highly recommend the Hoka Arahi 5!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I do have plantar fasciitis, and am also looking around for walking shoes, thanks!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Today was my mum's last scheduled radiotherapy session for oesopageal cancer.

She has endured 5 days of radiotherapy, and 1 day of chemotherapy a week for the last 6 weeks. She is tough like a water buffalo, but you can tell it's hurting her more than she is letting on.

And whilst I know we won't know about the results for at least another 3-4 weeks, when hopefully the tumor has shrunk/disappeared. And there is always the possibility that she may have to undergo a nasty difficult surgery in the future.

Today I am celebrating that she has done her last radio-therapy session. And that is surely a good thing.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Feb 11, 2022

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

BrigadierSensible posted:

Today was my mum's last scheduled radiotherapy session for oesopageal cancer.

She has endured 5 days of radiotherapy, and 1 day of chemotherapy a week for the last 6 weeks. She is tough like a water buffalo, but you can tell it's hurting her more than she is letting on.

And whilst I know we won't know about the results for at least another 3-4 weeks, when hopefully the tumor has shrunk/disappeared. And there is always the possibility that she may have to undergo a nasty difficult surgery in the future.

Today I am celebrating that she has done her last radio-therapy session. And that is surely a good thing.

Hey friend,

You are also awesome for being there for her. So thank you for that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

colas posted:

What do you have to do to win? Is it quantity or just eat the hottest one?

This is from forever ago, but it was basically successive rounds of increasingly hotter peppers, the quantity depending on the size of the peppers (4 big peppers vs like 10-12 really small Scotch Bonnet peppers). The last round was actually two sudden death rounds with ghost naga peppers depending on who gave up first.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Went to the gym today and I'm pleased that working out has had demonstrable effects. Three months ago I struggled to get under 9 minutes on the 2000m rowing machine, now I'm doing it without particularly trying. Still not impressive for a 30-year-old - like many nerds I am built like a damp noodle - but definitely better!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This weekend we finally finished the months of going through about 95% of my stepdad's clothes, shoes, linens, etc and donated it all as either donation goods for the stuff that can be used, or scrap cloth for the stuff that can't. all in all, we filled two large vehicles with about 25 garbage bags full of clothes, shoes, bedsheets, curtains, tablecloths, business suits, blankets, winter coats, etc, as well as four 3'x2'x2' boxes packed full of baby clothes, shoes, bibs, etc. The shelter we gave it to has been our go-to donation center that helps local people in need, and I know they'll be able to put it all to good use. It's also nice to get all of that out of our house, it took up SO MUCH SPACE. Just a massive job finally done.

and then last night we went through the one final box from his basement we hadn't sorted yet, the stuff that we had picked out of the super moldy section of the basement that was unfortunately where all the ancient family history stuff was. so a ton of photos and family memorabilia from the early-to-mid 1800's was destroyed by mold and silverfish after a basement leak, but I was able to pick some of it out to clean off and salvage. Most of that was able to be properly cleaned of mold, but unfortunately some of it couldn't be saved. Really fascinating pictures of my stepdad's grandparents, like his father as a tiny little kid with HIS father, who was a dude in a suit, bowler hat and chomping a big fat cigar lol

Kinda want to take a bunch of pictures of stuff as we go through the family history and knick-knacks and make a thread about it. since he kept everything from his grandparents, parents, and ex-wife when they all passed, there's a ton of really neat history stuff in there, not just family history, but like, world history or of-the-times sorts of products and advertisements they kept. including like, some really really old newspapers from before and during world war 2(and some are from 1 I think), and one from right after jfk was killed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would love to see that stuff!

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Mum got the 5 year all clear from her ductal carcinoma in situ.

So, off the drugs, no more visits to the hospital, all loving good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That's excellent news! :toot:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got an impacted wisdom tooth and the molar it had fractured from the pressure removed. it is obviously painful recovery, and I can't really eat anything, but it's better than the agony that would randomly occur due to the compromised molar. and the wisdom tooth hadn't been removed prior due to the roots being entangled in the main nerve of my jaw, but due to it working its way out and causing the impactedness, it had apparently disentangled itself from said nerve so it was an easy removal at this point. great! one of my bigger fears was losing any feeling in my jaw from getting it removed.

now I'm going to be discussing potential implant stuff with the surgeon at a later date. I'd love to just get all of my molars, which have varying levels of cavities/fillings/root canals due to poor teenage teeth care, removed and replaced with implants. I'm hoping my insurance can at least partially cover it, it covered almost all of the extraction so it'd be cool if it covered even part of getting implants in.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I farted in an airlock today. This is the most sci-fi thing I’ve ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Explosive decompression