Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Maybe Cait Sith is the real being and Reeve is the robot controlled by Cait Sith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

Maybe Cait Sith is the real being and Reeve is the robot controlled by Cait Sith.

“We hired this cat monster but all it wants to do is design living spaces for our mega city”

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im too bad at yuffie to beat the endboss

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
When I played FF7 for the first time right when it came out I literally never noticed the small cat on top of the Moogle because the model was so bad.

It wasn't until after I beat it that someone showed me official art that was big enough for me to see it.

To this day I pretty much ignore the cat. Cait Sith is just a giant robot moogle to me.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh noooo! Cait Sith is pregnant with kittens!!!!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
How does the combat in FF15 compare to FF7R? I think I'm closing in on the end of FF7R and kind of ignored FF15 when it came out but the real-time combat is good enough that I'm fine with ignoring all the "bro simulator" stuff to give it a try. The biggest issue I've had with FF7R is that the level design mostly consists of straight corridors punctuated by fights, FF15 looks to have a much more open world design which I'm hoping the next chapters of FF7R will adopt once the party leaves Midgar.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

jokes posted:

I thought cait sith was itself a puppet of one of the Turks

It's the other way around: the Turks are each just three Cait Siths in a trenchcoat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I just remembered there was a Monster Hunter-esque Final Fantasy game called Final Fantasy Explorers. I don't ever hear much about it so it probably wasn't pretty good, which is a shame because the concept sounds neat and I kind of want them to try again.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

How does the combat in FF15 compare to FF7R? I think I'm closing in on the end of FF7R and kind of ignored FF15 when it came out but the real-time combat is good enough that I'm fine with ignoring all the "bro simulator" stuff to give it a try. The biggest issue I've had with FF7R is that the level design mostly consists of straight corridors punctuated by fights, FF15 looks to have a much more open world design which I'm hoping the next chapters of FF7R will adopt once the party leaves Midgar.

I found the combat in FF7R to be much better than in FF15, though I'm struggling to remember specific examples of what I didn't like in 15. Its definitely flashy and cool but I never really felt like what I was doing mattered all that much, I would just sort of push buttons until things died. I don't think the combat system had a good hook, like some memorable mechanic or strategy, it was just sick looking flips and teleports everywhere. I may have just been a noob though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FFXV's combat is all style and no substance. It's in the vein of a game like Nier: Automata, where the system gives you a distinct impression of difficulty and challenge without having to actually deliver on it. FF7R's an iteration on the basic idea behind FFXV and is substantially better in almost every respect.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

MMF Freeway posted:

I found the combat in FF7R to be much better than in FF15, though I'm struggling to remember specific examples of what I didn't like in 15. Its definitely flashy and cool but I never really felt like what I was doing mattered all that much, I would just sort of push buttons until things died. I don't think the combat system had a good hook, like some memorable mechanic or strategy, it was just sick looking flips and teleports everywhere. I may have just been a noob though.

This was my recollection of it too, it was really flashy and sometimes you needed to use movement and Warp-Strike to win, but you mostly just held down attack or held down defend and then used your links and armiger when they came up. FF7R tying everything to ATB and encouraging you to block and dodge stuff and switch characters makes it a lot more active and engaging to play, especially since you also have materia in FF7R to make character builds with. FF15 doesn't even have magic, just the little Fire/Fira/Firaga grenades.

Honestly would not recommend playing FF15 if you hate the idea of the "guys on a roadtrip" story because imo that's like 80% of what makes the game worth playing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FFXV is, for all pretensions otherwise, an extremely high budget visual novel. This isn't meant as a slam on the game or anything, but you absolutely have to be invested in the idea of The Roadtrip and the characters it presents if you want to play for more than a couple of hours before putting it down forever.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

VIIR combat really takes off with Parry materia imo

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The only thing I didn't like about the Yuffie DLC was all the stuff they brought in from Dirge of Cerberus at the very end. Aesthetically it just seems out of place with the rest of FF7, like they're from two very different games. I hope they leave that poo poo in the basement of Shinra and we don't have to see too much more of them in future remake games.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i think it owns that they brought the dirge of cerberus stuff into the remake because its silly and FF7 is silly

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mustang posted:

The only thing I didn't like about the Yuffie DLC was all the stuff they brought in from Dirge of Cerberus at the very end. Aesthetically it just seems out of place with the rest of FF7, like they're from two very different games. I hope they leave that poo poo in the basement of Shinra and we don't have to see too much more of them in future remake games.

Theres DoC poo poo in the base game. Deepground referenced and all.

We're going to see more of them and it'll be good.

We might even see a hosed up angeal series that zack missed as a miniboss.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

One of the most impressive things about FFVIIR is how it manages to subtly (or not so subtly, in the Yuffie DLC) include compilation stuff without being terrible.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the compilation stuff on its own isnt terrible but all of it being tied to bad or at best mediocre games during one of square's dark ages left a bad taste in most people's mouth imo

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Vermain posted:

FFXV's combat is all style and no substance. It's in the vein of a game like Nier: Automata, where the system gives you a distinct impression of difficulty and challenge without having to actually deliver on it. FF7R's an iteration on the basic idea behind FFXV and is substantially better in almost every respect.

what the gently caress

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I like how people poo poo on XV's battle system saying "you only need to hold attack and spam potions to win", as if.... that hasn't been nearly every final fantasy ever? It becomes a lot more enjoyable if you choose to engage with its systems instead of ignoring them to play the game in the most boring possible way.

That said, the combat definitely isn't as refined as in FF7R.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the compilation stuff on its own isnt terrible but all of it being tied to bad or at best mediocre games during one of square's dark ages left a bad taste in most people's mouth imo

Genesis and Deep ground suck rear end and no amount of revisionist thinking will make it not so.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ok so thats -1 for Genesis Rhapsados

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Schwartzcough posted:

I like how people poo poo on XV's battle system saying "you only need to hold attack and spam potions to win", as if.... that hasn't been nearly every final fantasy ever? It becomes a lot more enjoyable if you choose to engage with its systems instead of ignoring them to play the game in the most boring possible way.

I definitely didn't want to just hold attack and I certainly tried to engage with the system, but I never really figured out what the more expressive strategies were beyond throwing in some link attacks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vermain posted:

FFXV is, for all pretensions otherwise, an extremely high budget visual novel. This isn't meant as a slam on the game or anything, but you absolutely have to be invested in the idea of The Roadtrip and the characters it presents if you want to play for more than a couple of hours before putting it down forever.

The absolute improvement in presentation between 15 and 7R for me has nothing to do with graphical fidelity but with how smoothly 7R transitions through all its different elements. Going back to 15 it becomes incredibly obvious how everything hangs for a few seconds as they switch over to a combat encounter, or there's like a second pause between every line of dialogue, or how there's pauses as characters have to get into position for their animations, or how often they fade to black and then fade up to the exact same shot in a dialogue scene lol

FF7R's smoothly transitioning between exploration and combat, literally with the adaptive soundtrack continuing with the same song in a different mode and then getting out of it with organic-feeling incidental dialogue, is such a vast improvement that might barely register for some folks

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Xad posted:

what the gently caress

Nier As combat is also boring as poo poo so it's a fair comparison.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Schwartzcough posted:

Gamers choosing to play games in the least interesting way possible and then complaining that the game is bad is a highly celebrated tradition dating back to the dawn of games. Not just video games, all games. The first caveman to play tag probably sucked all the fun out of that too.

I have no horse in this race, I've never played FF15 or even know much about it, but that's just how it is.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I do not believe that the onus should be on the player to make a game interesting. If the game is not sufficiently challenging a player enough to force them to use the tools they have available, that's a design problem.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Where is the VI PR?

We ain't hearing much of anything :(

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Vermain posted:

I do not believe that the onus should be on the player to make a game interesting. If the game is not sufficiently challenging a player enough to force them to use the tools they have available, that's a design problem.

agreed

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

DrPossum posted:

Where is the VI PR?

We ain't hearing much of anything :(

the playtesters notified the dev team that the art updates weren't offputting enough, so they're taking another design pass to make everything worse

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Vermain posted:

Hmm, you're right, FFV is a bad game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Vermain posted:

I have bad news about most Final Fantasy games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Most FFs having design problems isn't news

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It is only by man’s own provenance that he might have fun.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean I think there's a difference between a turn based RPG allowing 'press attack and heal occasionally' to work and a more action oriented game like FFXV to have 'hold down attack and heal occasionally' to work.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hmm, you're right, FFV is a bad game.
The reason FF5 is the only standout mechanics-are-good FF is because it is hard enough to require you to engage with the game in some creative fashion. It just blows out in completely the other direction where if you engage too much you ruin the game because there's so many awesome options and putting them together feels like cheating.

But saying that is really just another vote for

Mega64 posted:

I have bad news about most Final Fantasy games.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

I definitely didn't want to just hold attack and I certainly tried to engage with the system, but I never really figured out what the more expressive strategies were beyond throwing in some link attacks

Oh I wasn't targeting you or really anyone in this most recent thread of discussion. But XV's gameplay has come up numerous times over the years and almost invariable someone comes in to complain that you just have to attack and use potions. Which yes, may be considered bad game design, but if that's your criteria then nearly every Final Fantasy falls into that category.

Final Fantasy generally encourages you to play better by finding better ways to end battles quickly so you don't take as much damage and have to waste time and/or money healing. And once again FFXV is no different. If you engage with systems like positional damage improvements, link attacks, team commands, effective warp-strike and dodge usage, etc, battles go faster and are far more fun! Go figure.

That said, battles never felt like they had as satisfying a flow as you get in VIIR, or even Lightning Returns and the like.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

FF7R's smoothly transitioning between exploration and combat, literally with the adaptive soundtrack continuing with the same song in a different mode and then getting out of it with organic-feeling incidental dialogue, is such a vast improvement that might barely register for some folks

You just reminded me why Chapter 2, with the transitions between the high-energy and low-key remixes of the FF7 battle theme, culminating with a rendition of the classic theme, was my favorite in FF7R.

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 14, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I have bad news about most Japanese roleplaying games.

Fixed that for you. Most JRPGs are too easy and don't require you to actually understand or engage with the battle system. Chrono Cross is a great example My favorite JRPG battle system ever but you can absolutely bumble through it without understanding anything.

Said it before but this is why I play hard mods. You will learn to appreciate the battle mechanics so much more when you have to utilize them or die painfully and quickly.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The issue with XV isn't that it's possible to bumble through, it's that bumbling through is where the combat begins and ends. "Hold down button to make combat happen" is how the game presents itself and was advertised; they were explicitly trying to make it as (wrongheadedly) accessible as possible. There's a small degree of finesse added with mid-combo pauses and the like, but it's pretty small and where the depth mostly caps out as far as intended mechanics go. Aside from that you have a handful of other options (magic, warp-strikes), but they're very one-note and don't synergize much with one another.

Meanwhile in 7R you can still bumble through with mashing and heals, but you're pretty obviously leaving a lot of beneficial options on the table and playing suboptimally, hurting your momentum a ton on normal and putting you in danger on hard.