Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Yeah, those are always disgusting. Just pure capsicum. Food should be enjoyed, not an ordeal to be suffered through.

AITA for making fun of my MIL for spending an hour doing her makeup to visit someone in jail and telling her her life is hilarious?

quote:

MIL was going to visit her former boss in prison the other day because he’s been begging her to. She is actually the person who get him arrested so I’m not sure why he wants to see her, but not my business.

MIL spent an hour doing her hair and makeup. Now in general I’d never shame a woman for a little vanity but it was prison. She asked my opinion on her dress and I straight up asked if it was prison or a date. She snapped at me and stormed off. I told her that it was kind of dumb that she was dressed like that to go to prison. Not to mention she broke the dress code and had to wear a jacket the whole time. She demanded to know if I called her dumb when she is “so much more successful” than I.

A few days later (after laying in bed for three days and not talking to anyone) she was looking at rings and talking about what kind she liked and I asked what the occasion was and she said her ex boss wanted her to buy her an engagement ring with his money (I think his brother has his credit cards, idk it’s all weird), and wear it when he got out. I asked if she was going I marry him and she said of course not but she still might get an engagement ring “just to wear”

I started laughing because I couldn’t help it and MIL broke down crying and called me a bitch. I said her life is ridiculous. She ended up screaming at me that I’m a bitch and her son has never loved me and now she won’t talk to me and I honestly feel bad, but in my defense it is just funny because what even is this situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The whole "Thai Spicy" thing drives me crazy. Not every Thai dish is meant to be spicy or "Thai spicy", and not every Thai person likes spicy food, but now most places I go insist on getting 1-5 from me and don't really understand when I say I just want it how it's supposed to taste.

Insisting the cook throw in an extra handful of chili flakes so I can satisfy my own ego isn't why I go get Thai food. I want the mild dishes mild, the spicy dishes spicy, the extremely spicy ones extremely spicy, etc.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yeah, those are always disgusting. Just pure capsicum. Food should be enjoyed, not an ordeal to be suffered through.

AITA for making fun of my MIL for spending an hour doing her makeup to visit someone in jail and telling her her life is hilarious?

what even is this situation?

Good question!

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

quote:

iluvdonkeys
OP

I tried but Emily wouldn't let me in. My therapist said that there wasn't much else I could do except wait for Emily to grow out of it. And she never did...

fakemonalisa
Okay, but what about Emily's therapist? You got her into therapy, right?

iluvdonkeys
OP

I couldn't afford therapy for her. I asked her father to send her to therapy but I don't think that he ever did that. I sent her to a church youth group for children dealing with their parents' divorce and she didn't take anything away from it because she's an "Atheist".

Later in the comments she says that actually neither daughter went to the therapy sessions, because her insurance only covered herself.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Hungry Computer posted:

This line is a huge red flag to me. It's the same thing my mother says how she treated me vs my siblings. I was never inherently "more independent", I was forced to learn to be independent because I didn't get support.

That's also how my wife is treated by her mother and ooof that post is weirding me out. She got kicked out at 18 and got no support whatsoever while her siblings were not.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Hungry Computer posted:

This line is a huge red flag to me. It's the same thing my mother says how she treated me vs my siblings. I was never inherently "more independent", I was forced to learn to be independent because I didn't get support.

Same. I read that and immediately thought, "Oh so she was ignored completely and had to take care of herself? Wild."

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Speaking as a teacher, you pretty quickly come to realize that there are some parents for whom "reality" will only ever be a casual acquaintance.

Fuuuuck, but this is true. Jesus christ, some parents are utterly blind to their kids being monsters.

Kurieg posted:

What the absolute gently caress? "Hey I know you had a miscarriage, followed by another miscarriage a month later, AND THAT'S HILARIOUS!"

"You joked about it lightly because emotions are weird and hard to deal with, so I can go for the throat, right?"

Grimdude posted:

Lol at the quick burn about her daughter not having friends.

Maybe she just is hiding that her friends don't want to be near really uncomfortable family situations! Being at someone else's house when they're having family drama SUCKS.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Invisible Clergy posted:

That totally normal thing where you buy an engagement ring "just because" and wear it because a guy you're totally not going to marry told her to get it with his money. Definitely not engaged.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doctor Butts posted:

Nothing that has you sign a waiver is gonna have flavor.

Yeah, I should've known, but my college best friend was raving about this local place of theirs so when I visited I figured I had to try. Apparently their regular wings were good. I should've known a place named Cluck U (later changed to University Chicken after complaints) wouldn't be one for nuance.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 13, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Midnight Voyager posted:

"You joked about it lightly because emotions are weird and hard to deal with, so I can go for the throat, right?"

I remember when my dad died we had a family meeting at the start of Shiva that was basically "our humor tends to go dark at the best of times, and this isn't one of those. Everyone knows they can speak up on either side if things go too far?"

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

It is useful to some empty people as a prosthetic personality. You've heard of nerds conflating media they consume with their personal identity because they have no personality. This is the same thing but with food. Also as mentioned upthread, it's a toxic masculinity thing, especially for guys who can't do anything else traditionally masculine. "You can lift more weight than I can and run faster and fought in a war? Well I order padthai level 5 instead of level 4, qed my dick is bigger so there."

I used to work for a company that was predominantly West African and, as a result of hanging out with those guys, developed a strong tolerance for spice. That carried over to my broader social life and, when I go out for a meal and it's the sort of cuisine where spice is the norm, I tend to order on the hotter side.

I have one friend who will not let this go. He will scour the menu for something hotter than what I'm having. He'll then only eat a few bites of it because SURPRISE! it's way too spicy. This happens every time and I just do not get it. You're not proving anything! Your dick doesn't get bigger every time you eat a chilli! Just order something you'll enjoy!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

hawowanlawow posted:

generally when I see someone say "we both moved past" something, my gut reaction is that they are being manipulative and implying that they were also wronged when they were not

The pain of being told that I hurt you is more important than the pain I caused you. So, it's really you who should apologize to me. :colbert:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Spice chat: the first time my partner tried to make arrabiata sauce he confused the tablespoon and teaspoon measurements, and also threw in some random chili pulp leftover from when he made hot sauce the week prior. We had to open the doors and windows because our eyes were stinging. It was served with spicy Italian sausage. He tried to temper his portion with a very generous topping of cheese, but still gave up halfway through. I ate all of mine and his, laughing madly all the while because I was in so much pain but it was making me so high.

I ask him to make it again every so often but he refuses :sigh:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
been too long since we've watched a guy blow up his relationship because he can't handle menstruation

AITA for getting angry with my girlfriend and demanding she pay to replace my sheets after she got blood on them

quote:

Throwaway for privacy

I (M26) have been dating my girlfriend (F24) for about a year now, and we recently moved in together. She didn't have a lot of furniture and such, so it's mostly mine in our apartment including my bed (frame, mattress, sheets). I am a bit of a neat freak, and she generally is too, so we get along pretty well living together.

Now I'm not one of those guys that gets grossed out over a woman having her menstrual cycle. I've had sex with my girlfriend on lighter days with a towel down. I'll go buy her feminine products. I don't get weirded out if she mentions it. I will say though, it totally grosses me out getting on my bed though.

Well a few days ago when we woke up I noticed a blood spot on the bed and got totally grossed out. I knew she had been on her period for 3 days already so it wasn't any sort of surprise accident. I asked how it happened and she was upset and said she thought she didn't need to sleep with anything on. I told her that was absurd, why would you go without wearing anything and get blood all over my bed. I told her that was irresponsible and that she needed to pay me for new sheets. She agreed to pay for new sheets but got upset with me for getting angry and calling her irresponsible. She said that she likes to not wear anything when she can. She said she thought her flow was light and she wouldn't bleed over night. She says I have no reason to be angry to talk down to her over something I don't experience. I said that she should've been more careful with where we sleep and that it was unhygienic

AITA for getting upset and wanting her to pay?

ETA: A lot of people seemed confused by what I said 'not wearing anything". She was wearing her normal pajamas, just no menstrual products. She said since she's on birth control she is very light on day 3 and doesn't ever bleed on the sheets. It still seems unreasonable to me to not have something for extra coverage just in case. To everyone saying to just wash the sheets, she did, but I just don't like the thought of it.

Second Edit: I obviously see that I was a prick for being condescending towards her and not being sensitive to her embarrassment. I told her I was going to replace the sheets myself. She got upset again saying she didn't want to financially burden me every time she could potentially have a leak and that washing them was good enough. I told her I obviously just have a weird phobia with it I need to work through. I did ask her to wear products every night until she knows it's gone, and she called me ignorant, and had no right to suggest how she handles her period. She's coming to get her stuff to stay with her mom, so it feels pretty over. I'm sure many of y'all will be happy to hear.

Third: Yep, she says it's definitely over. I tried taking what some of you said about understanding that the flow fluctuates and all that, but she said the damage was done

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

welp

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 14, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

It's definitely a craps shoot when you go hot whether they know what they're doing, I've had great spicy stuff elsewhere.

Unrelated but I always thought the phrase was "crap shoot" and I just realized the meaning of it is entirely different than what I thought and I'm a huge dumb rear end

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

kalel posted:

Unrelated but I always thought the phrase was "crap shoot" and I just realized the meaning of it is entirely different than what I thought and I'm a huge dumb rear end

No, the expression definitely is crapshoot.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

kalel posted:

The word is crapshoot, but yes it's about gambling not making GBS threads.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for deleting my newborn son's instagram?

Lmao 1000 followers is in absolutely no way "low profile" get the gently caress out of here

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

coronatae posted:

Spice chat: the first time my partner tried to make arrabiata sauce he confused the tablespoon and teaspoon measurements, and also threw in some random chili pulp leftover from when he made hot sauce the week prior. We had to open the doors and windows because our eyes were stinging. It was served with spicy Italian sausage. He tried to temper his portion with a very generous topping of cheese, but still gave up halfway through. I ate all of mine and his, laughing madly all the while because I was in so much pain but it was making me so high.

I ask him to make it again every so often but he refuses :sigh:

Plants: Let's cause pain as self-defense!
Humans:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Midnight Voyager posted:

Plants: Let's cause pain as self-defense!
Humans:

I'm not gonna be outdone by a bird.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Elder Postsman posted:

Lmao 1000 followers is in absolutely no way "low profile" get the gently caress out of here

Yeah it was hard to side with the guy who stole his wife's phone and hid in the bathroom to delete poo poo, and yet...

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for going off on my husband for saying this to the kids?

quote:

My husband and I have 2 kids (13f/11m), Right now we are going through some financial struggles and we ended up losing so many of our belongings to be able to pay off mortgage debts.

The kids have been more than understanding of our situation and they help with whatever they can. My son even offered that we sell his computer to get money, which was sweet but I insisted he didn't have to. My daughter draws perfectly and she's been selling few of her works to friends online to by stuff for our house. All in all let me just say that I'm proud and grateful for my kids and their efforts to help out.

So days ago, we went to visit my family and my brother was talking to my husband about our debt struggles. My husband loves our house dearly and swore he would not lose it nomatter what happens. My brother then asked him what he'd do if he couldn't afford next months payment and my husband just looked at the kids and said "well, guess then I'll have to adopt you two out".

The kids get quiet, I look at them with a stunned look on my face as they get up from their seats and make their way upstairs. The rest of the family just stare awkwardly. Few seconds in and I went off on my husband about what he told the kids and how cruel his words were. He defended himseld that he was just messing with them but that stuff is damaging both emotionally and mentally and to say this to the kids after they had showed nothing but support? That was so messed up. He lashed back saying I overreacted and needed to loose up and drop it but I refused to do that. I followed the kids upstairs and stayed there...they were actually crying when I found them in the room. I felt awful and didn't speak to my husband after that. I did demand that he apologize and make it up to the kids and he said no and insisted he was just messing with them.

AITA? He said I offended him infront of the family.

traumatising my kids and making them cry, as a laff? nbd
you making me lose face in front of my family? YOU PIECE OF poo poo

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I've heard a lot of examples lately of people criticizing others for "Thinking X is a personality" or "Having X instead of a personality", where is X is something like "The Office," "spicy food," "Genshin Impact," "INTJ," or "Hating Nickleback," but what does it mean to have a personality in the first place? How does a person get a personality? I'm not really being facetious.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Nebrilos posted:

I've heard a lot of examples lately of people criticizing others for "Thinking X is a personality" or "Having X instead of a personality", where is X is something like "The Office," "spicy food," "Genshin Impact," "INTJ," or "Hating Nickleback," but what does it mean to have a personality in the first place? How does a person get a personality? I'm not really being facetious.

Don't overthink it, it's seriously just people getting mad that someone else likes x when they don't.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

It's a good question, but let's spin it this way: the saying "you don't have a personality" means you've adopted a personality rather than developing your own. Entirely popular media/popsci/single issue so very one dimensional and puddle deep.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Prole posted:

New face here. Hello.
So which crossposted story are you from that led you to finding this thread?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

In that context I think that phrase describes someone who can only talk about that one thing-- how much they hate Nickleback, how very very spicy they like their food, their latest theories on Genshin Impact or whatever.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

thunderspanks posted:

Don't overthink it, it's seriously just people getting mad that someone else likes x when they don't.
Huh, that's not it at all?

Plenty of people enjoy poo poo I don't like. I don't care. The whole "having it as a personality" is them not shutting up about it and taking any kind of criticism of X as a personal insult.

To use an example in the thread: I like spicy food. But I don't walk around with some kind of big cowboy hat that says "chilli eating competition winner" with a tshirt that has a chilli pepper on it, and go to restaurants with my own chilli to supplement their food. I don't have the Scoville scale memorised. I don't tell my friends that if they don't eat the hottest spice level on the menu (or even the "secret" extra hot!!!) they are weak babies. I feel like most of those kinds of people have nothing else to talk about and will start talking about X unprompted even when people around them don't care.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’d hang out with that guy. How big a cowboy hat are we talking?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for going off on my husband for saying this to the kids?

traumatising my kids and making them cry, as a laff? nbd
you making me lose face in front of my family? YOU PIECE OF poo poo
Lmao loving Marvel movies preach lessons about how what parental figures say carry more weight. OP's husband is a loving dipshit:

My parents held the implicit threat of kicking me out over my head and I had to literally beg and plead to negotiate lodging terms for years before I had enough money to get the gently caress out. Whenever I'd press they'd always say "We're not really going to kick you out" but they never failed to put it out on the table, and whether it was some imbecilic way to "motivate" me or just to keep me off-balance, it had the net effect of me not trusting a single loving word they ever said (which I was right to do).

Hope OP's husband like dying alone, uncared for, and unloved because he thought being a quippy 90s kid made him a "Cool Dad" instead of a dingus.

Nebrilos posted:

It's mostly just snobs having high standards and lashing out instead of growing up. Source: Am snob. Also raised by snobs.

When all a person chooses to express-- or is capable of expressing-- are simple, enthusiastic positive/negative feelings toward something, particularly something seen as middlebrow or lowbrow, snobs feel isolated and lonely. Dumbfuck snobs mistake that for a person's total depth. Angry snobs get mad and try to shame/bully other people into challenging their cultural interests and means of expressing those interests, because having only other snobs for conversation company is a miserable bucket of crabs.

And there is merit in saying "challenge yourself, don't mistake the things you like for your identity, and recognize that it's ok and even expected to challenge yourself," but because snobs are gonna snob it never comes out any way but cruel and mean. Couple that between people who get off on making snobs miserable, and people who are just... let's be nice and say "comfortable, "living in smaller pools of culture, and you create a pretty toxic feedback loop.

As far as what it means to actually have a personality-- it's when you're willing to say things that make you vulnerable in some way, and likely piss someone else the gently caress off, because it's who you are. It can be as simple or complex as you want from there.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 14, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Nebrilos posted:

I’ve been swiping through the dating apps recently (do not recommend,) and the number of women who put “Just a Pam looking for her Jim” is staggering.

Also the number of profiles that just list all the shows/book series/whatever they like. I’m cool with being a fan of something but I loathe fandom and I try not to do that kind of listing.

Oh and while I’m at it people who are almost 40 and ALL of their pictures feature Disneyland or Disney merch? Good Christ :staredog:

Just want to edit this post again because I opened bumble just now and this made me laugh

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 14, 2022

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
E: Wew, that's what I get for not hitting F5!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Tenkaris posted:

I’ve been swiping through the dating apps recently (do not recommend,) and the number of women who put “Just a Pam looking for her Jim” is staggering.

I didn't watch the Office but wasn't Pam in a long term relationship for like the first couple seasons while they flirt and kiss and stuff?

But yeah dating apps are horrible.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Girlfriend (26F) doesn't want to throw away gift from guy she cheated with despite me (26M) saying that's the best thing she can do to support me right now

quote:

Bit messy. Title sounds harsher than it is. Here goes.

My girlfriend (26F) of almost 5 years and I (26M) have been long distance for almost 2 years at this point. Recently, she unknowingly developed feelings for someone else where she lives. She didn't realize these weren't just "close friend" feelings until her friend group went out one night, got drunk, and they kissed. That's the extent of the cheating. Feelings and one kiss.

The next time we were together she told me everything and seemed truly remorseful. To me, it seems like she really wants to fix this so I decided to stay. Fast forward a week and I find out she received a gift from this guy. A vinyl from an artist she absolutely loves. I explain to her how just the thought of this gift makes me physically ill and I want nothing more than for her to snap it in half and throw it in the garbage. I want her to do this to really prove to me that she wants to rebuild the trust between us. It would mean a lot for her to put my wants above hers right now. It's a $50 vinyl that she didn't pay for and to me, it should be a no brainer. I would hope that she values our relationship more than an album from her favorite artist.

Shocker, she refuses to toss it but says she is willing to get rid of it. She wants to instead give it to a friend who also likes this artist so "it doesn't go to waste." I have tried to explain to her that doing things to help my healing process isn't "wasteful" but she refuses. The logical side of me knows, "perfectly good album. Just give it to someone else." The emotional side of me just sees a reminder of being cheated on and wants to burn it to a crisp. For me right now, gifting it to someone else, knowing it's still out there feels just as bad as keeping it yourself. But I know I'm emotional at the moment.

So I'm torn and looking for some objective opinions. I've always been a rational person and this is by far the most irrational thing I have ever felt. The disconnect between my logical and emotional side and I'm not really sure which one to listen to. Do I stand firm and say "if you can't throw it in the garbage, I don't believe that you truly care about how this makes me feel and respect my emotions on this"? I do feel like this would lead to a break up if she won't toss it. I don't want to lose her but I also refuse to be a pushover through this. That said, I need to pick my battles wisely and make sure this is the hill I'm willing to die on.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Thoughts are welcome.

lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

Girlfriend (26F) doesn't want to throw away gift from guy she cheated with despite me (26M) saying that's the best thing she can do to support me right now

lol

Thoughts: Lmao

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mx. posted:

lol

lol indeed. My favorite parts of these LDR posts is how the never define it. It could be anything between "we've been talking on a chat app and have never even talked to each other voice" to "we live an hour apart and spend every weekend together".

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

lol

quote:

That's the extent of the cheating. Feelings and one kiss.

one kiss. on the dick. that lasted about 15 minutes. 'cuz dude, you know ain't no guy buying a girl presents for anything less

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

PancakeTransmission posted:

To use an example in the thread: I like spicy food. But I don't walk around with some kind of big cowboy hat that says "chilli eating competition winner" with a tshirt that has a chilli pepper on it, and go to restaurants with my own chilli to supplement their food. I don't have the Scoville scale memorised. I don't tell my friends that if they don't eat the hottest spice level on the menu (or even the "secret" extra hot!!!) they are weak babies. I feel like most of those kinds of people have nothing else to talk about and will start talking about X unprompted even when people around them don't care.
You're just mad cuz there's no clock on your hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

There's a ramen place in town here that does a miso turkey ramen that is so spicy it makes me cry, but it's also so delicious that I order it anyway and just come prepared with tissues to wipe my eyes with while I eat.

I only order that if I'm eating alone. Those are my shame noodles.