Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Your great great great great great great great great grand parents need to massacre a farmer town to get a proper one.

I wonder if the queen can just make up titles "You are now the 'Dongleby of Pongleby.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Or would they be designed to be fired specifically by mobile infantry? You fire it from the back of a land rover and then hoof it in the opposite direction?

Nah, you fire it then hide in a trench or behind a hill. Teeny tiny weapons like that are the only ones where radiation effects are a serious concern compared to blast and heat because the blast is so small - as long as you avoid the burst of neutrons from the detonation (and the gamma rays they cause anything they hit to emit) then skeddadle you'll be fine.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1481558294640668675?s=21

Make sure to click through and read the thread

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wish I'd known about this, I had nothing much on today and would have loved one of those goody bags.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bessantj posted:

I wonder if the queen can just make up titles "You are now the 'Dongleby of Pongleby.'"

I mean I'm sure there's a whole bunch of 'royal rules of titles' going back ages, but honestly, who's going to stop her?
Like anything that isn't putting someone in the house of lords, or you know has an actual real world significance. Made up title to begin with so I'm sure people would hmm and err. but end of the day, it's a title and it's the queen.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Trying to make a new centrist party after Corbyn, when even during Corbyn those things died on their arse almost instantly, is such a bizarre move.

Anyway, here's Boris dancing like a peacock with no rhythm.

https://twitter.com/Direthoughts/status/1481671366868934664

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

I did some reading about these once. The blast radius is about a mile?

That also happens to be the range so you're firing it and running the gently caress away and hoping for only second degree burns and a light bath of ionising radiation.

Launched from a recoilless rifle, range of 2km (1.25 miles).

Not used due to it's inherent inaccuracy..... yeah, good luck with that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Reminded of Kilroy's Veritas party vanity project.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jiggerypokery posted:

Still calling him the "Duke of York" though apparently.

If you've ever played Crusader Kings, you'll know that you can change the royal succession and your kids will get pissed off, but revoke a duchy and you're looking at a war.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
12th Grader Kings

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

12th Grader Kings

Crusader Kids was right there.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Trip report: just ate four curries, two nans, a vegetable paratha, and pakora. This is me now.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

keep punching joe posted:

Trip report: just ate four curries, two nans, a vegetable paratha, and pakora. This is me now.

You got this to look forward to:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

dr_rat posted:

I mean I'm sure there's a whole bunch of 'royal rules of titles' going back ages, but honestly, who's going to stop her?
Like anything that isn't putting someone in the house of lords, or you know has an actual real world significance. Made up title to begin with so I'm sure people would hmm and err. but end of the day, it's a title and it's the queen.

I bet there are plenty of people that would faint because it would be beyond decorum.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

keep punching joe posted:

Isn't that like 4000 calories just from the bread?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Apparently York is saying it doesn't want him to be the Duke of it anymore.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

bessantj posted:

Worked for her youngest son:

quote:

On his marriage in 1999, the prince was ennobled in keeping with tradition; however he was the first prince since the Tudors to be created an earl rather than a duke (while reserving the rank of duke for the future). The Sunday Telegraph reported that he was drawn to the Earldom of Wessex after watching the 1998 film Shakespeare in Love, in which a character with that title is played by Colin Firth.

Prior to that there hadn’t been an Earl of Wessex (or indeed a Wessex) for a thousand years.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Viscount of Pangaea.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Marquis of Pitcairn

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Scikar posted:

Isn't the Davy Crocket the one where if fired, the chances of the operator surviving were not particularly great? Trying to work out whether to imagine they meant ordering others to use them, or a Strangelove thing.

Given that he described them as being "good ol' boys from Texas" types, I have a pretty good idea which side of the Dr. Strangelove line they were on.

Apparently the advice from the instructor was basically "be on a high hill or cliff overlooking your target, so you have gravity on your side. Walk away, cool guys don't look at explosions."
Everyone clapped. Hideo Kojima toom extensive notes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

I did some reading about these once. The blast radius is about a mile?

That also happens to be the range so you're firing it and running the gently caress away and hoping for only second degree burns and a light bath of ionising radiation.

Technically I believe this is also true of the mills bomb, they are intended to be used from behind an object, with a mills bomb this can conceivably be just about anything thicker than plywood, with a nuclear weapon you should probably at least find a decent berm.

Or a tank, that woud probably work.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 13, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guavanaut posted:

The Marquis of Pitcairn

Now now, let's not tarnish the good fame of the pitcairners and their ancestors.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We should also use their full name of the Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno (PHDO) Islands.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

We should also use their full name of the Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno (PHDO) Islands.

Pitcairn; English Dominion Overseas.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/FT/status/1480939293380071427

You should all say sorry to me as ever I'm right about everything.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of old leaking and rusty nuclear deterrents, the MOD still hasn't done anything about the nuclear submarine graveyard in Plymouth. Some have been sat there since 1991, and at least 9 of them still have fuel.

When they "cleaned up" the old nuclear sub stuff at the Chatham Dockyard site the "low level" waste just buried in a pile next to Asda near to the old railway line. Apparently there's enough radiation on St Mary's Island that the people who live in the new houses there have been told not to grow any edibles in their gardens.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Very lol

https://twitter.com/tony_diver/status/1481741337951195136?s=21

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

What the heck, Johnson is cool now (?)

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Soylent Yellow posted:

Pitcairn; English Dominion Overseas.

:vince:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/FT/status/1480939293380071427

You should all say sorry to me as ever I'm right about everything.

This remake trend has to stop, the original was just fine until the last level which was full of invisible bombs that kill you

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

you know the media wants him gone when the telegraph lights its powder

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

https://twitter.com/IamHappyToast/status/1469674243529003011

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

WhatEvil posted:

Isn't that like 4000 calories just from the bread?

It was tapas size portions and split with my partner, but still a mighty amount for a wee guy.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

Or would they be designed to be fired specifically by mobile infantry? You fire it from the back of a land rover and then hoof it in the opposite direction?

Actually they were famously fired from a helicopter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzVIWiiHEw

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The followup tweets are amazing

https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1481741342560686091

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

namesake posted:

Actually they were famously fired from a helicopter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzVIWiiHEw

As I said,

ThomasPaine posted:

All I know about the Davy Crockett I learned from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Answers Me posted:

Worked for her youngest son:

Prior to that there hadn’t been an Earl of Wessex (or indeed a Wessex) for a thousand years.

Wessex always seems a completely sensible and underused subdivision of England so I think this was a good thing

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

UKMT: A second party has hit the Johnson

I swear this is all cummings being mad about being fired.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
the Davy Crockett was a dumb idea and a sign of the insane normilisation of tactical nuclear weapons but the stuff about it's firing range making it kill its operators was made up. Wikipedia says the blast yield was 20 tonnes of tnt and rads were down to 0.01 rads by 0.25 km from the center of blast

what safety mechanisms it had i don't know so i guess if it missfires or is very inaccurate it could hit the crew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Well there we go. One of the Brexit Boot Boys has called for him to go. Fascinating. I think they fancy their chances of getting Baker in

https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1481744603162329091