Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Morrow posted:

I gotta say for a crime lord Boba doesn't do a lot of crime.

didn't you see him underpay the noble small business owner who was only charging what the market allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tracking someone and being some unstoppable badass who can kill everyone with a look are two entirely different skill sets and Boba has only been shown in the goddamn movies to be capable of one of them.

Sure, I don't need him to be an unstoppable badass. I would like him to be a cunning killer though which is pretty much his job description. Smart and threatening and completely unable to run the complexities of a crime family because his job previous to this is "Find people, kill people, be intimidating because you've got a Cool Hat".

The series is aiming for this, but missing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Everyone thinks they understand and know him so well and whenever the show even slightly displays otherwise it's the shows fault because you had some dumb opinion of who Robert Feet actually is.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the teen vespa gang wouldve worked better if they werent all dressed in brand new clothes from uniqlo. or if they were hosed up looking aliens

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you think about it, boba screwing up is pretty canon because even as a kid all the plans to get revenge he tried he hosed up, even when the plans weren't his. he sucked so bad he went to jail

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Morrow posted:

I gotta say for a crime lord Boba doesn't do a lot of crime.

Isn't that sort of the goal? Have middlemen and underlings do the actual crimes and maintain enough separation that you don't go down? (until some nosy cop gets all up in your tax records)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Farm Frenzy posted:

the teen vespa gang wouldve worked better if they werent all dressed in brand new clothes from uniqlo. or if they were hosed up looking aliens

This does seem like a legit criticism one or two of them should have been Greedos or Prunefaces or some poo poo.

Though I do have a headcanon that they're core world dilettantes living rough on the rim for the thrill of it. so it would map to that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

This does seem like a legit criticism one or two of them should have been Greedos or Prunefaces or some poo poo.

Though I do have a headcanon that they're core world dilettantes living rough on the rim for the thrill of it. so it would map to that.

The guy with the eye said he spent a lot of money on it, so between the body mods, the flashy bikes, and the hipster clothes, I'd say this tracks. They're a bunch of bored rich kids doing poverty tourism.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hazo posted:

Isn't that sort of the goal? Have middlemen and underlings do the actual crimes and maintain enough separation that you don't go down? (until some nosy cop gets all up in your tax records)

And keeping street crime under control. It's common in both real life and fiction for a major mob boss to do a lot to keep their territory protected from random assholes by either stopping muggers and the like from being on the street or making them pay a cut of their crime to keep operating. As the water merchant said, Boba wasn't respected because he wasn't doing much yet to rein in the general lawlessness of Mos Espa.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Boba Fett was good at being bad, because being bad is easy. But now he's struggling at being good, because being good is hard

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Just because Blind Han dumb-lucked his way into knocking Boba Fett over doesn't make Boba Fett incompetent or anything.

Vader, almost a demi-god when it comes to Raw Killing Power and endless swordsmanship skill, gets his hand whacked off by a goober who just picked up a lightsaber a couple years earlier.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I would like to know which crimes specifically Boba is now the Lord of.

Because right now he seems like the Lord of Restrained Libertarian Values and Market Corrections.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Penitent posted:

Because right now he seems like the Lord of Restrained Libertarian Values and Market Corrections.

Carrying a loaded firearm into a government building :colbert:

Actually I laughed out loud at that part because apparently you can just stroll through the front door of the Mos Espa mayor's office carrying assault weapons and the clerk just kinda looks up and goes "oh hey."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 14, 2022

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Mos Vespa

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cruising Mos Vespa in my DeLorean.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Penitent posted:

Broke: boba the crime lord
“Woke”: boba the neoliberal
Actually woke: boba the fully automated luxury gay space communist

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

My biggest issue with the show is that in his brief Mando stint he was shown to be a badass. Taking out a couple squads of Stormtroopers nearly single handed, and iced Fortuna without even bothering to banter. That was like a day or two before BoB starts up, so why the sudden change in attitude and skill?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dingleberry2 posted:

My biggest issue with the show is that in his brief Mando stint he was shown to be a badass. Taking out a couple squads of Stormtroopers nearly single handed, and iced Fortuna without even bothering to banter. That was like a day or two before BoB starts up, so why the sudden change in attitude and skill?

Fortuna was a chump and an rear end in a top hat who happily watched the sexual enslavement of his own species. I can handwave it away as Boba starting out simple with Bib's assassination and then trying to feel out the whole local situation.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Dingleberry2 posted:

Sneaking up on a bunch of Stormtrooper dregs and clowning on them ain't the same as having to bumble your way through the politics of being an upstart crime lord in contested territory while a wookie tries to murder you.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, Fett really needs an advisor.

I said earlier in the thread, he should totally hire the Twi'lek owner of the cantina, she would know everything going on and is probably a lot better at people skills than a couple of old hired killers.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

they should look like science fiction rich kids and not 2022 rich kids. I am not interested in the mos espa hype house. this show needs to fully commit to how stupid it obviously wants to look

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Farm Frenzy posted:

they should look like science fiction rich kids and not 2022 rich kids. I am not interested in the mos espa hype house. this show needs to fully commit to how stupid it obviously wants to look

The ones with mishmashed multicultural Star Wars clothing styles and flashy cyborg parts? I haven't been out to many upclass bars since the pandemic hit, but what do rich kids look like in 2022?

I mean, they could have included some aliens or something, but the only things that made them look less sci-fi than the other humans around was them not wearing headgear.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, Fett really needs an advisor.

I said earlier in the thread, he should totally hire the Twi'lek owner of the cantina, she would know everything going on and is probably a lot better at people skills than a couple of old hired killers.

It took him until episode 3 to ask the droid for info on the power structure of Mos Espa. Boba is really loving stupid.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The street gangs clothing is very star wars. mixes of japanese style robery with overcoats, and drash wears a vest - the quintessential star wars clothing!

They just aren't dirty tatooine people.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
(I realized all my posts latetly are criticisms, so let me just preface that by saying in general I enjoy watching the show.)

Someone mentioned this in a podcast yesterday and it really struck a chord with me:
There seems to be no blood in the show.

Boba gets beaten up by Sandpeople, Ray Harryhausen monsters and Wookiees, and never seems to have a scratch on his skin. A Gamorrean gets bitten in the neck - that would've been a nice opportunity for a splash of green if you're afraid of showing red blood, but no. Fixer gets beaten up by Niktos. Niktos get beaten up by Boba. Krrsantan gets stabbed multiple times. Tuskens get shot and killed. Never. Any. Blood. It makes the show look very sanitized despite the "gritty" Tatooine setting. And I don't buy "it's a Disney show" as an excuse. Mando was a bloody mess when IG-11 took his helmet off for the first time, and it really sold the seriousness of the situation.
It's just one more weird choice this show makes, and if I didn't read it in the credits every week, I'd find it hard to believe both shows are written by the same person.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Killer robot posted:

The ones with mishmashed multicultural Star Wars clothing styles and flashy cyborg parts? I haven't been out to many upclass bars since the pandemic hit, but what do rich kids look like in 2022?

They look like the kids of rich parents who set it all up for them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is that a fidget spinner

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It took him until episode 3 to ask the droid for info on the power structure of Mos Espa. Boba is really loving stupid.
The sarlaac dissolved his brains. Alzheimer's grandpa is Tatooine's newest crime lord and he gets way with it by turning to his competent second in command every five seconds and saying "I forget where I am and what's going on. What should I be doing?" and trusting her half the time. The other half the time he does something stupid but everything works out in the end because the TV show is named after him.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It would be a fun twist if Fennec has been deliberately steering him wrong this entire time

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Captain Splendid posted:

It would be a fun twist if Fennec has been deliberately steering him wrong this entire time

They really need to do something with Fennec and Boba, theyre both being played really taciturn even in private - they should have some arguments or something. Or delve into when Boba found her.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Jerkface posted:

They really need to do something with Fennec and Boba, theyre both being played really taciturn even in private - they should have some arguments or something. Or delve into when Boba found her.

They need to do something with Fennec at all because so far it's only been Boba, his daily constitutional down main street in Mos Espa, and then back to the REMEMBER WHEN tank for the rest of the episode.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I guess you can get meiloorun fruit on tatooine, that was a nice callback to rebels. meiloorun run run meiloorun run.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Lobok posted:

As far as I'm concerned stuff originating from the comics is a deep pull from the EU.

The deep eu pull was Danny Trejo talking about how the witches of dathomir ride around on rancors

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Holy poo poo Matt Berry’s droid briefing was amazing. His voice is great.

Is there any information about rancors in the old EU? Because it seems like they just thought of the scene in ROTJ where Luke kills Jabba’s rancor and the trainer comes out weeping. “Oh wow that trainer took it hard. Wonder why” So they say that the rancor is very emotionally complex, trainers get attached.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The torture droid who lived in a dungeon is better informed than our twin dunces, lol.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Personally felt the majority of this episode was a massive dud but I'm glad people seem to still be enjoying it. The killing of the Tusken's whilst not shocking plot wise, felt rushed as hell, and considering they were easily the best part of the series that's super disappointing. Everything from the plot, the characters, the fights and the action (that chase scene was awful) just seems like such a step down from The Mandalorian all this really does it make me pine for that shows return.

I do kind of wish the show would go more into his younger days, I mean I hope it does, because this is a guy who has been a bounty hunter since he was like a teen. When he has his Bacta dreams apparently the only thing that haunts him and he thinks about are his dad flying away to die and the Tuskens getting wiped out. Yet this is a guy that worked for the Empire, Jabba etc for decades and if he is this deep down good hearted guy surely he must have done jobs he looks back on and feels guilt over. Just seems like there's a lot of potential you could explore. With his extensive career, this so called infamous bounty hunter, they could have at least had him show familiarity and some sort of history with Krrsantan, instead he interacts with him like they're two strangers. The show treats Boba more like he's just some random dude that walked into town and took over rather than a guy with decades of reputation behind him.

I'll say it again but this characterization of Boba is dull and I'd much rather have seen a take where he's actually trying to reform from a cold hearted killer to someone actually trying to do noble deeds for reasons that get established instead of what the writers are implying in that he was always a pretty decent, and pretty bland man. If only because that would make his journey from post Sarlacc to crime lord more interesting to watch. But this is what we got so I just hope the plot balances out the dull protagonist.

Matt Berry as always is fantastic.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 14, 2022

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Having just finished Toast of Tinseltown, Toast's constant proclamations about starring in the "new Staaaar Wars moo-vie" go so absolutely perfectly with Matt's work on this show.

If they want a decent antagonist for Boba, they could do a lot worse than Ray Purchase.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just canceled my D+ subscription because the only reason I re-subscribed was to watch this goddamn show. In the "Reason for canceling?" screen I selected "Other" and wrote "Boba Fett show kinda sucks." :piss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How many episode the season has? Just feels like a whole lot of nothing going on with no real direction of where it’s going yet.