Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

JazzFlight posted:

So Oney and Harry Partridge are the two then that are associated with the show and are creeps? I mean, at least they aren’t the main showrunners, but echhh.

What did Harry Partridge do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Willo567 posted:

Are you seriously going to equate Cartwright with the homophobic/transphobic piece of poo poo known as Oney because she's a scientologist?

She seems like a good person as far as I've heard

There is no such thing as a good scientologist. The only good scientologists are dead ones and escaped/former ones. Scientology and other antipsych groups do real harm to mental health, public education and discourse on mental health, and people like myself with mental/developmental health issues. Nancy Cartwright gives literal millions of dollars to a group that does harm to mental health (not to mention murdering people and a whole mess of other awfulness that's too long to even get into here); her being a good person aside from that negates nothing.

Oney is a piece of poo poo too, but it's not a one-or-the-other thing. They are BOTH pieces of poo poo, but the general public typically pays attention to one of the two kinds of poo poo over the other, and speaking as someone with mental and developmental issues myself, I wish other people would show as much outrage toward antipsych poo poo as they show toward homophobic/transphobic poo poo, as it feels a bit like people like me are being ignored.

EDIT: Actually now that I think on it, scientologists are pretty transphobic too, so Cartwright isn't exactly innocent in that regard either. Although a lot of the more-famous scientologists are good at keeping the LGBTQ-phobia under their hats, or they aren't as aware of it themselves.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 13, 2022

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont think its that chuddy. making fun of dumb over corrections in media at times following controversies(not even explicitly racist poo poo) and the dipshit execs in charge.

I thought they were kinda taking a shot at The Simpsons with the "seasons 5-17 are good but skip everything else" and the micromanaging nature of the exec.

Kind of also applies to Top Gear. Mr Frog was a Clarkson-esque character who was kicked off his own show for similar reasons.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Hopefully the fanbase doesnt make this a rick and Morty.

There is no way it won't attract a lot of the same fans, unfortunately. I think S1 is not as strong as R+M's was which caused R+M to get overhyped but it's also less than a third the material by viewing length.

The other thing is R+M was new and surprising at the time. Smiling Friends less so. It taps into a sense of humor that's been around for a long time with a fresh round of jokes. We'll see if they can keep it up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Willo567 posted:

He voices Mr. Frog in episode 2. Zach is also a semi-frequent guest on OneyPlays

he isnt mr.frog. he is like some background voices.

Willo567 posted:

Smiling Friends is great, but I really wish Zach wouldn't associate himself with Oney, since Oney seems like an rear end in a top hat

https://twitter.com/gamertakes/status/990408604971945984

i mean there is a reason why oney never made it and Zach did. zach knows how to be a regular human being not a weird child online moron dipshit. oney doesn't. oney is apperently more put together then stamper though who loving hates all of them now.

MellowMushroom posted:

Michael Cusack voices Mr. Frog (so says Wikipedia). Oney does some other minor voices and some of the music, like the theme song.

IMO, I wouldn't say Oney is transphobic or homophbic, though I've never met him. He just seems to have an edgy/irreverent sense of humor. I can understand people not liking that type of humor though.

thats kinda my view. I am pretty sure a trans person was on the oney plays show a decent number of times among other folks. like i view oney as someone who never grew out of channer humor or stupid ED edgelord poo poo, probably a nice guy but doesnt know when to shut the gently caress up. i could very easily be wrong though/

the issue is many many online cartoonists from that era even loving vizipop had a long edgy streak. its just most of the good ones tempered it and made it funny and not hosed up or pointed it upwards or made it clever. all of them did kinda weird edgy poo poo. it matters now. its why oney will never get out of weird youtube poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 13, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MellowMushroom posted:

IMO, I wouldn't say Oney is transphobic or homophbic, though I've never met him.
ah okay, he's not transphobic for sending his followers at a transwoman and saying trans people shouldn't complain because we're not the middle east, and saying 'pronouns in bio' at trans/nb people, because he.. seems like he's not, although you've never met him

e: this isn't me trying to 'cancel' someone or make people feel bad who enjoy the show, just saying that Willo has a reason to be upset. mostly i just want people to be chill or maybe get off of social media altogether if they can't be chill, that'd be nice

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 13, 2022

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

The 7th Guest posted:

ah okay, he's not transphobic for sending his followers at a transwoman and saying trans people shouldn't complain because we're not the middle east, and saying 'pronouns in bio' at trans/nb people, because he.. seems like he's not, although you've never met him

e: this isn't me trying to 'cancel' someone or make people feel bad who enjoy the show, just saying that Willo has a reason to be upset. mostly i just want people to be chill or maybe get off of social media altogether if they can't be chill, that'd be nice

I don't use twitter so I haven't seen these tweets. I think people have a reason to be upset by his actions, no doubt, but I just see it as trolling rather than legitimate hatred, that's all.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I honestly think this was the moment I realized the Simpsons was well and truly dead and there was no coming back for it. Just the most pandering type of thing that classic era Simpsons would have roasted the hell out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1bojs7UAKQ

Finding out they gave Sideshow Bob actual superpowers through genetic experimentation is probably up there too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Vandar posted:

Finding out they gave Sideshow Bob actual superpowers through genetic experimentation is probably up there too.

What the gently caress?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MellowMushroom posted:

I don't use twitter so I haven't seen these tweets. I think people have a reason to be upset by his actions, no doubt, but I just see it as trolling rather than legitimate hatred, that's all.

"It's okay. It's only trolling" is not any sort of defense

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Xelkelvos posted:

"It's okay. It's only trolling" is not any sort of defense

Not trying to defend, just trying to say I think there's a difference.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AlternateNu posted:

What the gently caress?

I'm so sorry.

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/The_Man_Who_Grew_Too_Much

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vandar posted:

I honestly think this was the moment I realized the Simpsons was well and truly dead and there was no coming back for it. Just the most pandering type of thing that classic era Simpsons would have roasted the hell out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1bojs7UAKQ

drat. i remember when they made kang and kodos "canon".

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MellowMushroom posted:

it's just trolling bro

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MellowMushroom posted:

oh absolutly. he is at best a stupid manchild who doesnt know how to not be a moronic gently caress. i just don't think he is some uber bigot chud. doesnt make it better but idk.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bodyholes posted:

There is no way it won't attract a lot of the same fans, unfortunately. I think S1 is not as strong as R+M's was which caused R+M to get overhyped but it's also less than a third the material by viewing length.

The other thing is R+M was new and surprising at the time. Smiling Friends less so. It taps into a sense of humor that's been around for a long time with a fresh round of jokes. We'll see if they can keep it up.

i think it will attract a decent amount of fans. i am guess it will get another season or two at least.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

MellowMushroom posted:

What did Harry Partridge do?

I would like to know about this too, please?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PicklePants posted:

I would like to know about this too, please?
i mentioned it earlier but he is buds with jontron still and supported one of his anti-vax tweets

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Ah! Thanks, I couldn't remember what thread I saw it in. Well, that sucks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

quote:

He runs after them with his new grasshopper thighs and sonar of a killer-whale. He chases them to a body of water and they beg him to sing before he kills them. So he does but Marge, Homer and the teen-abstinence group come to stop him. When Lisa talks about Walt Whitman, Bob realizes he's become a monster and attempts suicide (also making chicken sounds) by drowning, but then remembers he has gills. He then walks off but not before standing on a underwater rake and hitting him in the face.

WHAT THE gently caress!?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The Simpsons' writers have been running low on ideas (let alone good ideas) for a very long time now, the primary piece of evidence being that they've used riffs on The Man Who Knew Too Much as episode titles four different times: "The Boy Who Knew Too Much" in season 5, "The Dad Who Knew Too Little" in season 14, "The Girl Who Slept Too Little" in season 17, and the aforementioned "The Man Who Grew Too Much" in season 25.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MellowMushroom posted:

These are really clear examples of transphobia and if this looks like “just trolling” to you then you are totally out of touch with that word and what it means.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Haven't gotten around to watching the series yet but the Smiling Friends pilot owns and I'm stoked that Marc M. finally gets to be in an actual show. Don't see many people talking about that but he's most certainly not everyone's cup of tea, though at least he seems like way less of a shithead than maybe some of his peers (just noticed his Vimeo has his pronouns listed without any kind of dumb joke so that's reassuring considering what he's up against).

AlternateNu posted:

quote:

He runs after them with his new grasshopper thighs and sonar of a killer-whale. He chases them to a body of water and they beg him to sing before he kills them. So he does but Marge, Homer and the teen-abstinence group come to stop him. When Lisa talks about Walt Whitman, Bob realizes he's become a monster and attempts suicide (also making chicken sounds) by drowning, but then remembers he has gills. He then walks off but not before standing on a underwater rake and hitting him in the face.
WHAT THE gently caress!?

Every now and then when I'm Googling something, I'll come across some wiki run by a handful of people who likely suffer from mental illnesses working out their hyper fixation obsessions with their childhood media by coming up with elaborate episode guides, scripts, sometimes even extras like bloopers and deleted scenes, for crossover cartoons and tween comedies. This reads almost exactly like that with the exception of Norbert from Angry Beavers or something showing up at the end to save the day.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

WHAT THE gently caress!?

You know that photo that got circulated around a couple years back that simulates what a stroke victim perceives? This is the written version.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Let's not forget classic episode titles like Sex Pies And Idiot Scrapes, where nothing in the episode matches thematically and they clearly came up with the episode title first then worked backwards.

And of course the period where none of the stories resolved themselves like Marge becoming the owner of a hugely successfully baking chain or something then it never being referenced again with zero resolution, or when Ralph Wiggum ran for president and the episode appears to end midway through the story with Ralph still in the running.

Zombie Simpsons is absolutely loving wretched. They've also reached the stage of referencing old episodes without context so new fans can't possibly understand the joke, which I guess they perceive as being faithful to the classics but is actually just poo poo writing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

WHAT THE gently caress!?

It’s poo poo that’s what it is. Like poster said above me. They ran out of ideas years ago and now it’s just tamer shittier family guy.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Haven't gotten around to watching the series yet but the Smiling Friends pilot owns and I'm stoked that Marc M. finally gets to be in an actual show. Don't see many people talking about that but he's most certainly not everyone's cup of tea, though at least he seems like way less of a shithead than maybe some of his peers (just noticed his Vimeo has his pronouns listed without any kind of dumb joke so that's reassuring considering what he's up against).

Yeah. I think Zach is mostly fine and unlike oney and Corey. He knows when to not go over the loving line. Like he makes hosed up edgy jokes but they aren’t hosed up weird bad poo poo like oneys tweets.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can't believe that's the episode they dedicated to Marcia Wallace.

quote:

In an epilogue, Ned Flanders recalls how much he loved Edna by reminiscing them doing the tango together, and is sad about her passing (as he is shown wearing a black armband). Then Nelson comes by to say "Ha-ha" until he offered his sympathy to Ned about how he also misses her.

Like they couldn't make the episode centered around this?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MellowMushroom posted:

Not trying to defend, just trying to say I think there's a difference.

"im just trolling, i didn't really mean it" is what bigots say when their bigotry can't be passed off as a joke. getting people to accept abuse as gentle good natured humor is what abusive bigots do to perpetuate their abusive bigotry without suffering the consequences for it. it provides a ready excuse for enablers of abuse to defend abusive speech as being subversive and transgressive rather than just flatly offensive

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Electric Phantasm posted:

Simpsons doesn't have the heart anymore to do anything but stale jokes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

voices to many people i guess. its also because they suck rear end.

I Am Fowl posted:

Simpsons doesn't have the heart anymore to do anything but stale jokes.

yeah its loving awful family guy now but with out anything that makes family guy sorta funny at times.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I feel like you're giving Family Guy too much credit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Always felt that instead of killing Edna off they should have just written out the whole Flanders family by having them move out of Springfield, they long ran out of things for Ned to do and it would have been a nicer thing to do than have Ned have 2 dead wives*, plus his VA voices a bunch of other characters anyways

*though a fairly recent episode would do a flash forward and reveal that Ned ends up remarrying like 30 times, all resulting in dead wives

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Simpsons definitely stopped being relevant once other shows started to ape them. They stopped being the subversive underdog and became somewhat of the establishment. That's DEFINITELY when they started running out of ideas

Absolutely agree with people when they say that the Simpsons now are written by people who grew up watching the Simpson's and now write it how they think a simpsons episode should be. and god, please no more episodes where Beloved Side Character Gets A Love Interest. Wish I could find my post from the GBS Simpsons thread where I was complaining about that

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

drrockso20 posted:

*though a fairly recent episode would do a flash forward and reveal that Ned ends up remarrying like 30 times, all resulting in dead wives

See, now that is funny

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Warbird posted:

See, now that is funny

Honestly I just found it morbid, especially since many of those wives were established characters already married in the current present, thus implying either dead husbands or divorce prior to marrying Ned

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They know it's the only way to escape Springfield for good.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

drrockso20 posted:

They did a bunch of quick sight gags showing how EVERY character dies six feet under style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5Mn1Biqeg

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So who's going to play Homer in the inevitable live action film now that John Goodman is too old? I'm thinking Seth Rogan in a bald cap.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They did a bunch of quick sight gags showing how EVERY character dies six feet under style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5Mn1Biqeg

I do appreciate that they went with the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Bart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

i chuckled at a few of those.

SolarFire2 posted:

I do appreciate that they went with the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Bart.

same