Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kit Walker posted:

It's this. One of the more subtle gameplay-story elements of SotC is your growing bond with Agro. Agro doesn't change in behavior in any way, but over time you'll slowly learn to just trust him to do what you want him to do and he'll do it. And the sandworm colossus is the like...bondgate of the game, where you can't beat it unless you just 100% let Agro do his own thing while you make precision shots off horseback

The end of SOTC where Agro comes back is like scientifically engineered to make all women cry, I think it was probably designed in a lab somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The end of SOTC where Agro comes back is like scientifically engineered to make all women cry, I think it was probably designed in a lab somewhere.

A friend of mine didn't find out they lived for like two days because the bridge scene was the end of the game as far as she was concerned she couldn't go on after losing Agro. .

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

RillAkBea posted:

Horse chat, I didn't remember having a problem with the horse in the Witcher 3 the first time I played it but I went back much later after having just playing Red Dead Redemption 2 with its overly in-depth horse husbandry and W3's horse started feeling like some PS2-era mechanics and it was really distracting all of a sudden.

I don't remember having too much issue with Witcher 3 and I ended up using the horse quite a bit. I just recently played Horizon Zero Dawn and I found the mounts to be super clunky and I just ran everywhere instead. (Although I would occasionally call in a mount as a meat shield/distraction in a fight, but sometimes they would aggro on me if I hit them with splash damage).

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
What platform are you playing those on? I've always wanted to go back and play Ico and SOTC but don't own a console anymore

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

RoboRodent posted:

I'm playing Shadow of the Colossus for the first time. Because I was going through my game library trying to decide what to play next and I realised I own it even though I have zero memory of this.

I am generally enjoying it even if I feel like the eel thing didn't really want to fight me and really just wanted to swim around but gotta kill it anyway I guess

Huge spoilers:
It doesn’t want to fight you. None of them do. You are not the hero of this story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

sephiRoth IRA posted:

What platform are you playing those on? I've always wanted to go back and play Ico and SOTC but don't own a console anymore

SOTC was recently remade on Playstation 4, which means it's also playable on PS5. If you still have a PS3 then there's an HD remaster available for that console, too. If you don't have a console then PS2/3 emulation is decent, can't speak on the quality of the SOTC .iso though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

SOTC was recently remade on Playstation 4, which means it's also playable on PS5. If you still have a PS3 then there's an HD remaster available for that console, too. If you don't have a console then PS2/3 emulation is decent, can't speak on the quality of the SOTC .iso though.

They're also currently available on PS Now which means they're technically playable on PC. (If you hate yourself)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just really like the horse in MGSV because you can just leap onto it as it runs alongside you and so few horses let you do that. Having to stop your movement so that the horse can come astride, wait, then watch a slow animation of you getting on is such an annoyance

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

:allears:

Agro is notoriously fickle to control, because you actually only ever have full control over the rider, not the horse. But the good news is, you can generally just let the horse do what horse does and he'll find his way across e.g. winding bridges no problem without your input.

Yeah, I get that this is the conceit, and it's not a bad conceit in itself, I guess. I do okay on big open stretches or obvious roads, but I have definitely managed to get myself into a tight corner, be unable to turn around, and decide to get off, walk a short distance away, and call Agro over.

Mind you, this is a horse who happily walks up and down stairs and into spooky caverns if there's enough room, and valiantly attempts to fight giant monsters, so I can't be too mad.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Frank Frank posted:

Huge spoilers:
It doesn’t want to fight you. None of them do. You are not the hero of this story.

You're not a villain, either, and the clearly malevolent entity you're working to free is an honest malevolent entity at least, so it can be someone else's problem imo

Morpheus posted:

I just really like the horse in MGSV because you can just leap onto it as it runs alongside you and so few horses let you do that. Having to stop your movement so that the horse can come astride, wait, then watch a slow animation of you getting on is such an annoyance

It's hilarious that SotC figured this out 15+ years ago and most modern games still don't get this right

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've always interpreted Dormin as a God of Life, but totally uncontrolled life that brought people back from the dead and created wild, invasive growth like you've never seen. Threatened by this, the people of the Forbidden Land separated and bound his essence up into the colossi to contain him, which had the possibly unintended effect of causing everything him to die also. It's deliberately left vague, though. One of the beautiful things about SOTC is that there are no real heroes and villains, just one human in a desperate situation taking what they need.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm having to reinstall Fallen Order on my ps4 as I unlocked the final planet and got an error message saying the data was corrupted. Hopefully that'll fix it and let me continue.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

exquisite tea posted:

I've always interpreted Dormin as a God of Life, but totally uncontrolled life that brought people back from the dead and created wild, invasive growth like you've never seen. Threatened by this, the people of the Forbidden Land separated and bound his essence up into the colossi to contain him, which had the possibly unintended effect of causing everything him to die also. It's deliberately left vague, though. One of the beautiful things about SOTC is that there are no real heroes and villains, just one human in a desperate situation taking what they need.

Wander does what he does for pretty selfish reasons though. He’s not there to save the world.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah but wouldn't you?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I dunno, risking his life and willingly accepting an unspecified great price to bring Mono back to life doesn't necessarily strike me as selfish

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I appreciate how threadbare the story is. We know a few things about Wander, Mono, and Dormin. And we know that Agro is a horse. But we don't know who Mono is to Wander, or how exactly she died, just that she was "sacrificed" and had a "cursed fate" which tbh could mean just about anything.

I think it balances it very well because we're given enough information that it's not difficult to figure out what is happening, we're just left to ourselves to put it into context and decide what any of it actually means.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
My favourite interpretation is that her "cursed fate" was to be the cause of Dormin's resurrection. By sacrificing her to prevent this fate, the priests ended up helping to fulfill it

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wasn't one interpretation of her fate that she eventually becomes the evil queen in the prequel game?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

A friend of mine didn't find out they lived for like two days because the bridge scene was the end of the game as far as she was concerned she couldn't go on after losing Agro. .

I immediately reloaded the previous savepoint and tried to cross the bridge one more in time because I thought I hosed up and got a bad ending.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

I dunno, risking his life and willingly accepting an unspecified great price to bring Mono back to life doesn't necessarily strike me as selfish

It is if you look at the big picture, I think. He’s doing it because he can’t accept that she’s gone. If he’d been mature enough to grieve her death and move on, like normal people have to do, then all the destruction would have been avoided. Note as well that it’s the colossi who are paying the price as much as him here.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like the thing dragging Inscryption down is the hype. It's everyone's #1 Game of the Year and people I know who play it won't stop trying to get me to buy it. So I played through the demo and... it's good. Just "good". I'm not a big deck-builder fan in the first place, and I can see that it's an interesting game, I just don't see for the life of me why it's the BEST game. Much like Undertale - which I also found underwhelming after nonstop overhype - it seems like anytime someone makes an indie game with a meta narrative, people go stupidly bonkers over it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

2house2fly posted:

My favourite interpretation is that her "cursed fate" was to be the cause of Dormin's resurrection. By sacrificing her to prevent this fate, the priests ended up helping to fulfill it
I appreciate this interpretation. Classic prophecy 101 stuff

Randalor posted:

Wasn't one interpretation of her fate that she eventually becomes the evil queen in the prequel game?
I'm think so? I'm not a big fan of that theory since it's needlessly dark and cruel but I guess some people liked it

Gerblyn posted:

It is if you look at the big picture, I think. He’s doing it because he can’t accept that she’s gone. If he’d been mature enough to grieve her death and move on, like normal people have to do, then all the destruction would have been avoided. Note as well that it’s the colossi who are paying the price as much as him here.
Yeah but that poo poo is cool as hell. Going on a quest to resurrect someone who might not even necessarily have been a relative or a lover by making a deal with dark gods? Hell yes, that kicks rear end. Sign me the gently caress up

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like the thing dragging Inscryption down is the hype. It's everyone's #1 Game of the Year and people I know who play it won't stop trying to get me to buy it. So I played through the demo and... it's good. Just "good". I'm not a big deck-builder fan in the first place, and I can see that it's an interesting game, I just don't see for the life of me why it's the BEST game. Much like Undertale - which I also found underwhelming after nonstop overhype - it seems like anytime someone makes an indie game with a meta narrative, people go stupidly bonkers over it.

You are trying to figure out goty reasoning from a game that, everywhere I look, people are saying "I can't say anything about it without spoiling so much".

If the demo gave everything away then no one would have reason to play the full game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Cythereal posted:

Seconded so much. And to make matters worse, I main White Mage. Which meant the Grand Finale Fight to the 10-Year Story was... 10 minutes of me spamming my two (2) damage spells over and over again, after the big trial that demanded serious healer play. I stopped bothering doing the mechanics on Zenos' fight because I'm a white mage, what do I care? Anything that doesn't one-shot me is irrelevant. What a loving way to end your promised grand finale to ten years of story, making me click my 1 key over and over again, pressing my 2 key every 30 seconds to refresh Dia, and occasionally one or two other buttons to heal whatever damage I did take.

I came into this as a healer and actually kinda appreciated it, just because it feels so disrespectful towards a character that never earned any respect. Also it was even funnier for the final cutscene clash where you drop weapons and fistfight. Great and terrifying villain, punched out by someone who plays card games as a job.

Still would've preferred to walk away, though.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah I'm going to come back and read all these spoilers after I'm done killing giant monsters.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Goons are horrible salesmen. I ended up loving Disco Elysium but I waited a year to play it because the way people on these forums talked about it made it sound obnoxious. I imagine Twitter was even worse.

I haven't played Inscription but maybe give yourself some space to disconnect from the hype train and see what you think of it once everyone moves onto the next hot thing

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The demo is a 30 minute tutorial sequence to give you a vague idea of what playing the game feels like. What are you expecting it to do to you exactly?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I've only played about an hour of Inscryption but there's clearly something bigger going on than the card game. I'm half expecting it to become some kind of Frog Fractions type thing where I can escape from the cabin and it becomes an entirely different genre.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Voyager I posted:

The demo is a 30 minute tutorial sequence to give you a vague idea of what playing the game feels like. What are you expecting it to do to you exactly?

give a hook as to the main appeal of the game, like how undertale's demo showed off the save/loading mechanic

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

thetoughestbean posted:

Tataru and Krile erasure here

I was thinking the adventurer side but Krile was certainly an omission.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

sticklefifer posted:

What bothers me about Inscryption is that if literally anyone else had released the game a million terminally online people would have review bombed it out of orbit and harassed the devs demanding apologies for "false advertisement". But instead everyone raves about how clever and awesome it is because it was made by the pony island guy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm doing the Champion's Ballad DLC in Breath of the Wild to get that sweet sweet ancient motorcycle, and I forgot it stacks maybe the most annoying thing in the game at the front of it. You have to clear out four specifically designed areas of enemies, with only your arrows and powers, and no melee weapons except a special oddball limited-use one. Oh, and you're permanently set to 1/4 heart, so literally anything will kill you and reset the area.

It really sucks, that's exactly how I don't enjoy playing the game. Five tries in on the first area and I'm getting nowhere fast.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Nuebot posted:

What bothers me about Inscryption is that if literally anyone else had released the game a million terminally online people would have review bombed it out of orbit and harassed the devs demanding apologies for "false advertisement". But instead everyone raves about how clever and awesome it is because it was made by the pony island guy.

Nah, people love that poo poo. Like Frog Fractions and basically any other game that genre shifts into something more interesting than its apparent premise. It’s like the exact opposite of Brutal Legend

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nuebot posted:

No way homie

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t know who that is

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I remember Pony Island I think, it's some kind of creepy pasta game of the kind that's everywhere now

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

2house2fly posted:

I remember Pony Island I think, it's some kind of creepy pasta game of the kind that's everywhere now

They making creepypasta anti piracy screens now. We're in a new world.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I played through inscryption and while it was kinda fun, SPOILER second and third acts dragged it down painfully. The first act turns over pretty quick, where run to run is fast and you have the puzzle solving to break it up. The aesthetic is bang on creepy and I loved it. The meta video thing was a little hokey but whatever.

Act 2 was so slow compared to act one. Building an infinite loop was fun, but each action and animation took way too loving long and each battle (of which there were many) was a slog.

Act 3 was garbage. It didn't do anything interesting with the game play minus the one boss where you got to set the rules iteratively. By the time I got to the true end I was loving sick of playing the game. Personally the guy should have cut the length of Act 3 in half. I think that would have been really solid.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Morpheus posted:

You are trying to figure out goty reasoning from a game that, everywhere I look, people are saying "I can't say anything about it without spoiling so much".

If the demo gave everything away then no one would have reason to play the full game.

I know about the twist (hence the Undertale meta comparison). It's still just not really my thing and I don't really want to go through the slog of gameplay I'm not into just to get to the fireworks factory later. If I'm playing because of an eventual twist, then to me that means the early narrative is lacking. I might eventually play it, but like I said, the hype is what drags it down for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Ghost of Tsushima not letting me skip dialogue or cutscenes is just the pits.