Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Superman & Lois is back tonight as well as the premiere of Naomi, a character I know absolutely nothing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I agree that the military line there is a little... misplaced, I guess, but the first season at least (never got around to the second one) dealt pretty heavily with veterans' issues, so that's a reasonable perspective for him to have. He's (hopefully) not saying that soldiers should view themselves as the Punisher.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well he did season 2 so he didn't care that much

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It depends on how important it is to the Netflix portrayal of the Punisher to explicitly show intense violence. There's no chance in hell a future Spider-Man movie would have Bernthal dragging a character's face through broken glass but I don't think that means he has no place in any MCU movie or show as a vigilante who murders criminals.

Edit: On that note, I'm interested in seeing how far they go with violence in the Moon Knight series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the first season and Daredevil season definitely both dealt a lot with kind of the struggle of being trained as a soldier and then betrayed and thrown back into society. And it did a good job making that the focus of his anger and revenge so the character didn't venture deeper into its problematic area. I'm still not sure you have the degree of reverence for the character that Bernethal seems to have. The Netflix shows really walked the line of "maybe Frank's right and we should kill a bunch of people." I've also never seen the second season.

I don't think you could really fit Punisher into an Avengers movie but if the MCU is diversifying then I guess you could do something with him in a side project. If stuff like Hawkeye and Echo are gonna be closer to the Netflix Defenders stuff and even a bridge to them then maybe that's a whole "Marvel Knights" side path for more gritty stuff? And we got Moon Knight and Blade coming so maybe they are too? We'll see.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

site posted:

i think you mean the one where he got surgery to make him Black

Edit - Is it sad that I remembered immediately that it was Punisher #60?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Feige already said the next Deadpool will be R too so there is room for that, just how dark are they willing to go with it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just move Cable over to the X-men and do "Deadpool and Punisher"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

hatelull posted:

I'd love to see a slightly lighter Berenthal interact with Holland or others.

sorry I just can't see lil Tom Holland going "IF I CATCH YOU I'M GONNA gently caress YOU"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tom Holland Spider-Man and Bernthal Punisher be like

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

Feige already said the next Deadpool will be R too so there is room for that, just how dark are they willing to go with it

Yea, Disney knows there is a market for R rated content, and certain characters deserve that kind of treatment. I hope they go to James Gunn and say "you do deadpool 3, you can do basically whatever you want". I imagine it would be sorta like Shoot 'em Up, but then have a real gut punch emotional moment.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I hope they go to James Gunn and say "you do deadpool 3, you can do basically whatever you want".

Please god no.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't really matter who directs Deadpool because it's a primadonna show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn't really matter who directs Deadpool because it's a primadonna show.

Yeah, just let Ryan Reynolds pick the director.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Watched the first episode of Peacemaker and it was pretty fun. I kind of like the idea of Cena playing a meathead who thinks he is better than he actually is. Had some good chuckle moments and hope it continues to do so.
Anyone watch Naomi? I don't mind the character, just the way Bendis has been using her in the comics.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ran across this old Wizard "Casting Call" for a Sandman movie. Figured you guys might appreciate it with the actual series coming this year.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rip like half those choices

and gently caress woody allen

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wizard showing uncharacteristic restraint only casting one wrestler this time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but they made up for it with musicians.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I liked their X-Men casting back in 91. Robert DeNiro as Wolverine!! He never pops the claws though, he just DeNiro-kicks Toad over and over

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Incredible that the closest to a POC they got was k.d. lang (she's part Sioux)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

To be fair I think they were going for likeness more than anything else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was 1995. We didn't discover POC until 2010.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

David Ramsey isn't done with Diggle.

quote:

The actor will reprise his role as Arrow’s John Diggle and star in drama Justice U for The CW.

Here’s how the network describes Justice U: “After spending years fighting alongside masked heroes, John Diggle embarks on a new mission to recruit five young meta humans to live undercover as freshmen at a prestigious university. There he will oversee their education and train them to become the heroes of tomorrow.”

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I thought he was becoming Green Lantern.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The only color on any of those characters is chalk. Those old casting features are amazing because they begin and end with how closely any given actor physically resembles the character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Madkal posted:

I thought he was becoming Green Lantern.

For some reason (HBO Max GL show) they decided to not go ahead with that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Diggle rules so this is great news.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

The only color on any of those characters is chalk. Those old casting features are amazing because they begin and end with how closely any given actor physically resembles the character.

Walken as Lucifer would've been a heck of a thing, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching a youtube video about cop shows a while back and was surprised to see that during the entire time he was on Arrow David Ramsey was also a recurring guest star on the CBS drama Blue Bloods.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

This BETTER BE Gossip Girl with super heroes or I want my money back

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
peacemaker has an absolutely stellar opening, A+ all around

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Peacemaker is so much better than I had hoped. The Cena/Patrick scenes are gold.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/AlanTudyk/status/1481817267537170433

Well now I need to see every video of this immediately

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

"To me, my CW-Men!"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I've only gotten as far as the intro scene of Peacemaker, but I'm already fully on-board. What a credit sequence. :allears:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JordanKai posted:

I've only gotten as far as the intro scene of Peacemaker, but I'm already fully on-board. What a credit sequence. :allears:

The show really is James Gunn evolving to his final form. I love it, but I can definitely see why people don't like it. I found it odd that they brought Vigilante on, considering he was on Arrow. Though you know what that means..... DIAZ IS RIGHT BEHIND THE CORNER

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, the DC Arrowverse is separate from the movies (and "officially" separate universes in the multiverse) and they've had two of much bigger characters like Flash and Superman and they were weirdly non committal on if the second Suicide Squad movie is a sequel to the first one. So I doubt "we can't have two Vigilantes!" ever was a conversation that anyone had.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I get that, just seems there's billions of other characters they could use instead. But then again we did have Suicide Squad in Arrow too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. My guess is a character that small it never even was a thing. But the weirder thing is that two different properties WANTED to use Vigilante.