Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Good Citizen posted:

Also you can’t convince me that garlic isn’t a scrote

I recommend washing more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1735110/Museum_of_Mechanics_Lockpicking/

quote:

Welcome to the Museum of Mechanics: Lockpicking. We're happy to have you! Explore an interactive exhibition of meticulously recreated lockpicking minigames from throughout video game history.

quote:

“The Museum of Mechanics: Lockpicking is a playable exhibition of a common gaming interaction and, well, it's an experience like visiting the Derwent Pencil Museum. Before you go in you're thinking pencils are the most boring thing on Earth, let's get this over with, then you come out toting a gift shop bag ready to fight anyone who dares besmirch one of humanity's greatest tools… if you enjoy seeing the evolution of something apparently simple laid out, thinking about why it is the way it is, and just fiddling with different minigames trying to 'recreate' the same thing, this is a bitesized, interesting and well-curated experience.”

quote:

A Word from Designer Johnnemann Nordhagen

As a game designer, you often find yourself doing research on how other games do things - it's a good way to get ideas, see what works and what doesn't, and build an understanding of the space you're solving problems in. Usually this research involves buying a lot of games and playing until you get to the part you want to see, if you can remember the games that have it!

How nice it would be, I thought, if someone collected all the reference for particular ways of doing things in one place. Thus was born the Museum of Mechanics, and the first entry: Lockpicking. Many genres and types of games include lockpicking minigames, so I thought I would do an exploration of a broad swathe of them and gather them together in a single place. This is the result. I hope you'll join me in exploring the different ways this has been done through the history of games.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/kawaiiberpunk/status/1481398474826567686

Just in case you're on the fence.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 13, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Throwing another +1 recommendation at this. The game is great. I've played for 9~ hours over the last 24 hours. I am loving it. It feels like a better game at version 0.27 than a lot of full releases lately. I can't wait to see what the devs add next honestly.

Edit: I had a nuts run where I was basically untouchable

KernelZee
Sep 28, 2021

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

Sold!

For 3 bucks it’s already paid for itself in 2 hours. Any more they expand it now is just a bonus. Very fun!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
vampire survivors reminds me of the piles of endless arena survival games that used to be on the Xbox Live Indie Games platform. in a good way

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Venuz Patrol posted:

vampire survivors reminds me of the piles of endless arena survival games that used to be on the Xbox Live Indie Games platform. in a good way

Just (finally) bought VS. I didn’t realize it would be more expensive after it hit 1.0, and it really seems like folks like it. Looked through my WL and saw BattleTech’s DLC of my very 2nd favorite’Mech (ShadowHawk) was only discounted for a few days, so went ahead and pulled the trigger on BT base game, too. It’s the TableTop game that got me into a wargaming set of mind that ended up getting me into GammaWorld/AD&D in the late 80s, so I went ahead and got it even with a backlog. I hope it’s fun, but I know Vampire Survivors will be just from this thread!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Vampire Survivors is fun if you get a bible early on otherwise it just seems like a lost cause.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
The other weapons are actually also very good, especially evolved (eg knife, axe, whip, and magic scepter thing all rock when evo’d). I have only ever won when I’ve gotten an evolved weapon, but not necessarily a bible and didn’t need the evo weapon until a bit later on. You do sort of need to build weapons which synergize though, and some I still haven’t gotten to work- eg the Santa water or the dove bombardment thing have never felt great. (But yes the evo bible is still pretty insane)

You should try the second level (library) imo if you’re having trouble with the first foresty level. I found it a lot easier to get the hang of. XP seems like it stays more clustered so it’s just easier to move around effectively, and enemies feel a bit less tanky (mb just because I level more). Also the character who gives you +1 projectile was a nice little boost when first learning.

tildes fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 14, 2022

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I don't have a non-Bible win screen for quick reference but I do have my first Inlaid Library win where I only had the base weapon in the last few minutes of the run.

I'll echo that I find the Library generally easier than Mad Forest - part of it is the tanky waves that show up in the forest (if you don't have good damage by werewolves it's usually a dead run), part of it is the more unbounded nature of the forest (library has a bit of y-axis scrolling but you don't really have fresh waves from above and below), part of it is the forest's treacherous patterns of "huge blobs of weak bats/ghosts do a fly-by" - they don't take much to kill but their danger is in shoving stronger enemies around when the screen's crowded so suddenly all those giant bats you've been weaving around are IN YOUR FACE. Library's biggest danger is possibly the suicide spirits, but you also have the benefit of a free exp crystal at the start and, if you wander enough, free items laying around.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

If anyone is struggling with Vampire Survivor for reasons they can't seem to understand, try capping framrate to 60. Some things are tied to fps (like the height of pre-evolve axe). I haven't personally encountered it, but know of someone that had this issue

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My potential GOTY is dropping in around 40 minutes, so I'm going to pass the time before it's available hyping it up. I'll post the original game and the new game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/813630/Supraland/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1522870/Supraland_Six_Inches_Under/

Supraland is a first-person Metroidvania where the majority of the game is set up around puzzles using wildly varying movement mechanics in a sandbox. Literally, you're a tiny Meeple from Team Red that has to go solve a bunch of problems caused by Team Blue that are fundamentally breaking things in the sandbox the game takes place in. Every main upgrade you get in the game is a slap to the face in how you move in the world, everything changes and has you look at navigation/optional puzzles from an entirely new perspective. The original game was made largely by one person and billed itself as a majority exploration/puzzle game, with a small amount of combat that wasn't great. How I would bill the game, is that it is the secret-seekers Nirvana. If you get a dopamine kick out of breaking out of Mario Odyssey's intended boundaries so you can stack up a bunch of coins, or leave a Luigi balloon there to confuse and intimidate others, Supraland is your game. In Supraland, you get the stack of coins, and then you discover a curated puzzle based off the exploit/difficult movement you just did! There are puzzles hidden in secrets that are itself a secret in a puzzle that you completed a while ago, but now that you know you can burn cardboard, there might be a new secret puzzle to go find while you're exploring with your new movement options.

Supraland: Six Inches Under is a pseudo-sequel to the original, originally planned to be the 2nd DLC but ultimately ended up being an onboarding process for Supraland going from a one-person project to a team of people working on it, from sound design to model design to everything inbetween. The design perspective is supposed to lean heavily into the exploration and discovery aspect from the first game, so an area from Hour 1 might become relevant later, but instead of you stumbling on one puzzle there could be a whole series of puzzles to discover. There's also supposed to be much less of, and improved, combat in the game.

Supraland and the Supraland Crash DLC are permanently embedded in my Top 10 Games of All Time, so if you're the kind of person who jams their face into every wall hoping to find some Duke Nukem or Doom secret passages, you will probably like this game.

E: It is now available :sickos:

E2: I have 15% completion overall, and I just got the yellow upgrade. My brain now hurts. One of the biggest traversal upgrades just got a new upgrade that completely changes what you can do. :psyduck: The upgrade that lets you float next to any metal object now has the ability to point in any direction while floating and loving BOOST anywhere you want. :psyduck: :psyduck:

bawk fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 14, 2022

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

It's even better as I have hoped for. Love it as much as the original when I first played it. Very good game.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I completely forgot this was coming out and was the best kind of surprised when I saw it released, if it's even half as good as the first then it's easily worth double the price.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Swilo posted:

I completely forgot this was coming out and was the best kind of surprised when I saw it released, if it's even half as good as the first then it's easily worth double the price.

They made the mindfucky levitation power more mindfucky

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Heck yeah I loved Supraland, criminally underrated gem of a game. Hope the second one is just as good.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

this game is freakishly good. why is it so fun

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
garlic is better than the bible imo

also in the game

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

moonmazed posted:

also in the game

garlic damage doesnt scale high enough, bible damage does
anyway im sure theres like one person thats still on the fence about vampire survivors and they should think about getting it if they like that sort fo thing at all

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I bought the unfinished vampire smash tv and it's good

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

awesmoe posted:

anyway im sure theres like one person thats still on the fence about vampire survivors and they should think about getting it if they like that sort fo thing at all

I don’t like that sort of thing (bullet hells? Single stick shooters?) and have all the achievements except the stupid mask and have beaten both maps and all characters.

Buy the game, I mean.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's good, it's got content for like 2 hours though atm

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fat Samurai posted:

I don’t like that sort of thing (bullet hells? Single stick shooters?) and have all the achievements except the stupid mask and have beaten both maps and all characters.

Buy the game, I mean.

Mask hint: Library. Go right. Do not go left.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1735110/Museum_of_Mechanics_Lockpicking/

quote:

“The Museum of Mechanics: Lockpicking is a playable exhibition of a common gaming interaction and, well, it's an experience like visiting the Derwent Pencil Museum. Before you go in you're thinking pencils are the most boring thing on Earth, let's get this over with, then you come out toting a gift shop bag ready to fight anyone who dares besmirch one of humanity's greatest tools… if you enjoy seeing the evolution of something apparently simple laid out, thinking about why it is the way it is, and just fiddling with different minigames trying to 'recreate' the same thing, this is a bitesized, interesting and well-curated experience.”
I don't know if I'm that interested in the lockpicking thing, but I am now highly interested in a trip to Derwent.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Albinator posted:

I don't know if I'm that interested in the lockpicking thing, but I am now highly interested in a trip to Derwent.

This is a cool idea!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Fire Wand sucks until it's evolved and then it's incredible.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

awesmoe posted:

Garlic is good because it lets you snowball fast and hard early. Without garlic, swarms of large numbers of weak creatures will overwhelm you and need to be dodged. With garlic, they're free exp. Late game it also has uses for the same reasons; you can dodge into bat swarms on the field map, and end up functionally immune to the suicide ghosts on the library map. It's a guaranteed pickup for me if I see it. It does need to be paired with more damaging weapons though.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

My potential GOTY is dropping in around 40 minutes, so I'm going to pass the time before it's available hyping it up. I'll post the original game and the new game.

Supraland is a first-person Metroidvania where the majority of the game is set up around puzzles using wildly varying movement mechanics in a sandbox. Literally, you're a tiny Meeple from Team Red that has to go solve a bunch of problems caused by Team Blue that are fundamentally breaking things in the sandbox the game takes place in. Every main upgrade you get in the game is a slap to the face in how you move in the world, everything changes and has you look at navigation/optional puzzles from an entirely new perspective. The original game was made largely by one person and billed itself as a majority exploration/puzzle game, with a small amount of combat that wasn't great. How I would bill the game, is that it is the secret-seekers Nirvana. If you get a dopamine kick out of breaking out of Mario Odyssey's intended boundaries so you can stack up a bunch of coins, or leave a Luigi balloon there to confuse and intimidate others, Supraland is your game. In Supraland, you get the stack of coins, and then you discover a curated puzzle based off the exploit/difficult movement you just did! There are puzzles hidden in secrets that are itself a secret in a puzzle that you completed a while ago, but now that you know you can burn cardboard, there might be a new secret puzzle to go find while you're exploring with your new movement options.

Supraland: Six Inches Under is a pseudo-sequel to the original, originally planned to be the 2nd DLC but ultimately ended up being an onboarding process for Supraland going from a one-person project to a team of people working on it, from sound design to model design to everything inbetween. The design perspective is supposed to lean heavily into the exploration and discovery aspect from the first game, so an area from Hour 1 might become relevant later, but instead of you stumbling on one puzzle there could be a whole series of puzzles to discover. There's also supposed to be much less of, and improved, combat in the game.

Supraland and the Supraland Crash DLC are permanently embedded in my Top 10 Games of All Time, so if you're the kind of person who jams their face into every wall hoping to find some Duke Nukem or Doom secret passages, you will probably like this game.

E2: I have 15% completion overall, and I just got the yellow upgrade. My brain now hurts. One of the biggest traversal upgrades just got a new upgrade that completely changes what you can do. :psyduck: The upgrade that lets you float next to any metal object now has the ability to point in any direction while floating and loving BOOST anywhere you want. :psyduck: :psyduck:

I am most of the way through this game, around 70% completion, but if you ever liked poking around a game to see something hidden in a nook or corner, I recommend the first game. If you like finding the skulls from Halos, this is your bag. I just discovered a way to get outside the normal game map, and it rewarded me with a series of puzzles that tested my knowledge of how they worked, I learned some new things that they already do, and then told me "do all this this poo poo again but without that basic, always-needed upgrade." So there is a LOT of game here.

It is admittedly rougher when you get to the postgame stuff in the first game, and the first DLC was my first pick for "Best First Person Metroid Vania." This goes well beyond it, but it ran where Supraland-Crash walked. This is absolutely my GOTY unless Inscryption adds an Act 4 and 5 somehow

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Thanks Strix for taking all my free time and free will away from me. :mad:

I'm in love with this game.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

JordanKai posted:

Thanks Strix for taking all my free time and free will away from me. :mad:

I'm in love with this game.

Thanks guys. I had absolutely no interest in this game but all this raving... If you are all wrong, Im out €2.39 which I will have to explain my starving feral family.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

thecluckmeme posted:

This game, like the prequel is incredibly fun. Apparently I spent 24 hours to 100% it this weekend.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm playing supraland for the first time. It's very fun

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

This game, like the prequel is incredibly fun. Apparently I spent 24 hours to 100% it this weekend.

I'm at 70% at 14 hours in and I am fully in :psyduck: mode right now

I have four upgrades left to find. I have the one that helps you find chests. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Fun fact! You can BIG SPOILER use the Force Cube in lava. If you walk to the edge of the cube and press F, it drops another one. You have infinite movement across lava! That was not the intended solution to the puzzle behind the Obsidian blocks at the front of cagetown! I have since solved that puzzle, but now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do for the purple rings that are completely offset from each other to unlock what looks like some weird rear end ritual room past Minecraft Steve and all that lava!

RC Cola posted:

I'm playing supraland for the first time. It's very fun

I'll say this for anybody that hasn't played it yet.

Play Supraland first. It has a very annoying but quickly mitigated jump mechanic that you solve with a triple jump that is about the height of a normal jump. The game really wants you to use a weird cube to go an average game jump's height, but controlled to flat surfaces with a slow rise. Abuse this constantly along with the triple jump, you will find minor upgrades in places that you technically shouldn't be able to get to, but you abused the game mechanics to get someplace fun. Try to find the upgrade around where you find the Red MacGuffin that lets you destroy the wooden crosses, it will cut down on the annoying enemy spawns, which is the worst part about OG Supraland.

Supraland Crash mixes things up by (spoiler if you want to go in completely blind, this affects OG Supraland's upgrades as well) Reversing the order you get the upgrades. You get a proper jump immediately! It loving rules! The navigation in this game is so satisfying! OG Supraland spoiler: This was the end-all-be-all of Supraland upgrades, because it was locked behind an extremely difficult Tower Defense-style minigame available from the start, but only possible without cheesing if you weren't in the endgame. You get a good jump, while having a triple jump. It ruled. Crash just hands it to you, without the triple jump

Six Inches Under hits a nice medium between the two, but Six Inches Under improved upon Crash which improved upon Supraland. If you play them in-order, you'll better appreciate how it's gone from one person designing the game to a whole team editing his decisions on what constitutes as fun.

It also has an entire sequence of puzzles that requires one single, basic upgrade that you will be reliant on throughout it, and then stops you and says "Try doing that again. But without that upgrade. It's 100% possible." When you cross that finish line, that poo poo makes you feel accomplished

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

moonmazed posted:

also in the game

Yeah Garlic is my jam it's just way too satisfying running straight through the weaker enemies and destroying them all. It's also fantastic for harvesting XP if you get it early.

Generally I'm going for some combination of garlic, bible, whip, fire/normal wand, and cross.

Got the evolved fire wand last night and it was crazy awesome, just cutting enormous swathes through the horde which I could then follow through.

Also Inlaid Library is a way easier level to 'win' and also to harvest coins just because you can level up so much faster due to the density of enemies.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

thecluckmeme posted:

I'm at 70% at 14 hours in and I am fully in :psyduck: mode right now

I have four upgrades left to find. I have the one that helps you find chests. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Did you revisit the new village recently? Because there is some stuff which only spawned long after I thought I was done there.
I am pretty sure that I know at least one of the more obscure upgrades you're missing. Hint: Burn Everything! Let the purifying flames feed on all that's precious!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Play posted:

Yeah Garlic is my jam it's just way too satisfying running straight through the weaker enemies and destroying them all. It's also fantastic for harvesting XP if you get it early.

Generally I'm going for some combination of garlic, bible, whip, fire/normal wand, and cross.

Got the evolved fire wand last night and it was crazy awesome, just cutting enormous swathes through the horde which I could then follow through.

Also Inlaid Library is a way easier level to 'win' and also to harvest coins just because you can level up so much faster due to the density of enemies.

I picked it up a few days ago, best 3$ I've spent short of Binding of Isaac.

But yeah, it is a bit unbalanced. The weapons fall into two categories: garlic and everything else.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Gynovore posted:

I picked it up a few days ago, best 3$ I've spent short of Binding of Isaac.

But yeah, it is a bit unbalanced. The weapons fall into two categories: garlic and everything else.

I found that garlic couldn't carry me far enough and stopped picking it up all together -- the Bible, especially once you ascend it, is the one must have item IMO.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Garlic is good even with moderate upgrades because it kills nearby trash mobs quickly, so the magic wand and others are free to attack higher HP enemies during late game

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Did you revisit the new village recently? Because there is some stuff which only spawned long after I thought I was done there.
I am pretty sure that I know at least one of the more obscure upgrades you're missing. Hint: Burn Everything! Let the purifying flames feed on all that's precious!

When you say new village, do you mean the one on the surface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Once you reach minute 25ish on hyper you need damage more than anything else and garlic doesn’t deliver. Bible does, and it fits the same role as garlic early game (but requires you to play better).
Basically all evolved weapons and runetracer > all unevolved weapons. So pick your main weapon, find what you need to evolve it, then pick secondaries that synergize with that, then pick the things that evolve with the secondaries. (ie get bone bible axe fire wand normal wand runetracer). Then get attractorb for fast levelling because leaving xp lying around is poo poo.

Also library is best because you can get 8 secondaries

E: someone should make a vampire survivors thread. idk if it would has the staying power but it’s certainly popular at the moment

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 17, 2022