Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm running a new game this weekend and though I've DMed a fair amount, this is the first time I'll be doing it offline. I've got session notes in OneNote with anticipated monster stat blocks and NPC notes. I've got the module book and we'll have player references on hand. I've got the screen with all the nice useful stuff on it like conditions. The host has large grid paper sheets we can use, and I plan on using spare dice for monster minis. A player has volunteered to print handouts. I guess before we go I should get notecards for initiative tracking and some post-it flags for the book.

Am I missing anything helpful/obvious/important? I reckon I can punt to the tools website for anything else, and I know the rules well. I'm a decent improviser. I just can't shake the feeling that there's something I oughtta have with me that I haven't considered. Three players are brand new, if that changes your notions of what I oughtta have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm running a new game this weekend and though I've DMed a fair amount, this is the first time I'll be doing it offline. I've got session notes in OneNote with anticipated monster stat blocks and NPC notes. I've got the module book and we'll have player references on hand. I've got the screen with all the nice useful stuff on it like conditions. The host has large grid paper sheets we can use, and I plan on using spare dice for monster minis. A player has volunteered to print handouts. I guess before we go I should get notecards for initiative tracking and some post-it flags for the book.

Am I missing anything helpful/obvious/important? I reckon I can punt to the tools website for anything else, and I know the rules well. I'm a decent improviser. I just can't shake the feeling that there's something I oughtta have with me that I haven't considered. Three players are brand new, if that changes your notions of what I oughtta have.

Honestly you’re probably fine. Pens of course if you haven’t got them, but don’t stress too much on non essentials. New players are the easiest to please

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Finding some decent background adventure music can be fun. YouTube is filled with multihour mixes. Or not. You'll do great.

https://youtu.be/bANjQqUVgvM

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 14, 2022

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm not a believer in game music unless I have something insanely on-point. When you have stuff that's not chosen for the scene, I find it's distracting. People are like "ooh do I know this one" or laugh when your ambient tavern track becomes the Skyrim theme or whatever.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm not a believer in game music unless I have something insanely on-point. When you have stuff that's not chosen for the scene, I find it's distracting. People are like "ooh do I know this one" or laugh when your ambient tavern track becomes the Skyrim theme or whatever.

I'm a huge believer in game music. Setting the tone with some background ambiance is a really low effort way to help set the scene, and given how much of it exists (and how specific it can be!) it's totally worth 5 minutes of prep time before a session to get something.

Acutal music is a bit trickier for the above reasons mentioned. Still can be a good thing. Especially for battles.

I had an interesting fight in a mechwarrior campaign, where my players were driving to a meeting, and were being stalked by a kill-dozer type vehicle. Cue the Jaws theme. My players reacted very positively to it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

A great resource for music can be really old and obscure video games btw. For instance I’m running a western inspired dnd game and finding old western video games that not many people have played has been excellent, especially because my players almost never guess where the music came from and it doesn’t cause too many distractions while still fitting the theme. You’d be surprised how many awful or obscure/dated video games have excellent soundtracks to pull from too, and they’re all typically available on YouTube.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I grab bundles of royalty-free music from Fanatical, you tend to get a pretty wide variety in them.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kaal posted:

Finding some decent background adventure music can be fun. YouTube is filled with multihour mixes. Or not. You'll do great.

https://youtu.be/bANjQqUVgvM

https://tabletopaudio.com/ is something very useful for mood and background music.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey, don't really know if this is the thread to ask the question is but I imagine this thread will have the most people knowledgeable on the subject. Anyway, recently the campaign moved to forge-vtt, and it works great, but there is one thing that is a little annoying. Currently, I play an Echo Knight in this campaign, and having this teleporting guy is a lot of fun, but manually dragging the token to the echo's location, then dragging the echo back to the token's original location is a bit of a time sink. Is there module or something for Forge that makes it easy to just swap the position of two tokens with a button click?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

(turns super saiyan) just compose your own soundtrack for every campaign

Nehru the Damaja posted:

atmosphere is important, and also consider that because this is in person you can use physical things to enhance atmosphere(the one thing i wish i could do as a virtual dm). for example, physical puzzles are much more interesting than virtual puzzles and can give people who have trouble focusing when they are not relevant a way to contribute to the game

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Hey, don't really know if this is the thread to ask the question is but I imagine this thread will have the most people knowledgeable on the subject. Anyway, recently the campaign moved to forge-vtt, and it works great, but there is one thing that is a little annoying. Currently, I play an Echo Knight in this campaign, and having this teleporting guy is a lot of fun, but manually dragging the token to the echo's location, then dragging the echo back to the token's original location is a bit of a time sink. Is there module or something for Forge that makes it easy to just swap the position of two tokens with a button click?

This is not meant to be dismissive: if you log into the official foundry discord server (the program forge vtt runs) there is a dedicated 5e channel and they will likely know far better there than anyone in this thread does. Hope this helps!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Madmarker posted:

Arivia posted:

This is not meant to be dismissive: if you log into the official foundry discord server (the program forge vtt runs) there is a dedicated 5e channel and they will likely know far better there than anyone in this thread does. Hope this helps!

yep The Foundry Discord loving owns for poo poo like this

code:
/*
* Gets a list of selected tokens and swaps their position if there are two selected
*/

let targetTokens = canvas.tokens.controlled;
function checkForTokens(){
    if (targetTokens.length === 2) {
        return swapTokens(targetTokens);
    } else {
        return ui.notifications.error('You must designate two tokens for switching.');
    }
};

function swapTokens(tokens) {
    tokens[0].update({'x':tokens[1].x, 'y':tokens[1].y});
    tokens[1].update({'x':tokens[0].x, 'y':tokens[0].y});
}

checkForTokens();
To add the actual text

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 14, 2022

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
RE: Game Music

My usual go-tos are compilations of dark ambient/drone for general adventuring and a mixture of Synthwave and Darksynth for battles. Cryo Chamber on Youtube has pretty good mixes of dark ambient stuff while Magic Sword's album Vol I makes for some killer fight music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02wKufX3nw

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I like to stream fast/intense violin or classical music for fights, I know if I play game music people will recognize it and point it out

(but I also turned this around and played a long bardcore cover playlist for the last modern-day intermission game)

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

If I'm in a rush, I throw on a YouTube ready made playlist of some games, (NWN, divinity etc.) but if I have more time I'll throw some Spotify albums together in a playlist.

The real goal is to have a DnD playlist folder in Spotify with ambient, tavern, fighting, etc. for specific moods but I've not done anything longer than a oneshot, or multishot. Obviously a decent sound setup is needed, a phone speaker isn't going to cut it offline.

I did a dreamscape underwater oneshot last time and the Subnautica: Below zero was definitely needs suiting!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

Dexo posted:

yep The Foundry Discord loving owns for poo poo like this

code:
/*
* Gets a list of selected tokens and swaps their position if there are two selected
*/

let targetTokens = canvas.tokens.controlled;
function checkForTokens(){
    if (targetTokens.length === 2) {
        return swapTokens(targetTokens);
    } else {
        return ui.notifications.error('You must designate two tokens for switching.');
    }
};

function swapTokens(tokens) {
    tokens[0].update({'x':tokens[1].x, 'y':tokens[1].y});
    tokens[1].update({'x':tokens[0].x, 'y':tokens[0].y});
}

checkForTokens();
To add the actual text

Hey, I don't take it as such, literally just switched over so I didn't even know about the Discord. But thank you so much, I will certainly try out this Macro, and keep the discord in mind for the future!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

counterpoint to music: use a discord bot any player can play on

why yes, i did give my sith inquisitor tetsuo's theme why do you ask

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Anyone have info on what makes advanced 5e different? I hear good things about the monster manual but the actual rules seem to be sparsely detailed online.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone have info on what makes advanced 5e different? I hear good things about the monster manual but the actual rules seem to be sparsely detailed online.

Weapon speed and THAC0 are back :getin:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rutibex posted:

Weapon speed and THAC0 are back :getin:

dear lord...

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

Verisimilidude posted:

The classes were redesigned, they added what's basically a Warlord, they rebalanced spells, added a stamina and combat maneuver system for martials, fleshed out exploration, and made a number of small rules changes. The combat maneuver system in particular seemed to be what appealed to a lot of people. Basically, all martial classes get a pool of stamina points that recharge on short rests, and as they level, they can pick powers that will be like "spend x stamina and make a weapon attack, and the target will make a saving throw and be blinded on a failure" or "spend x stamina and ride your mount up to its speed, doing y to enemies that you trample over." And now second wind has been removed from from the fighter's base class features, and instead there's a healing maneuver that I think any martial can select. This system definitely means more options than any had in base 5e, but I do feel like a lot of them are fairly redundant.

Spell wise, they adjusted damage to things like Fireball so that they're actually level appropriate (something I'm quite happy about), but the biggest individual spell change is Counterspell. Now, in addition to needing a check to counter something the same level, it doesn't just cancel out any action from the character being countered. Instead, the caster can reuse that energy to cast a spell of no more than half the level of the initial spell. I appreciate the reduction of dead turns. There's also some rare, enhanced versions of spells that the GM can use as rewards if they want. And of course there's some new spells in general, including some to let wizards do martial arts stuff for some reason.

There's also some equipment reworking that I have mixed feelings on. On the positive end, they gave weapons more features, now now a glaive and halberd are functionally different. But they also added a system for armor durability that just looks like a pain.

There's really a lot of stuff they changed all over the place. This is basically to 5e what Pathfinder was to 3.5. I just listed a few things that immediately popped into my head, but I have the player's guide, so let me know if you have any specific questions or want to know more detail about a specific thing. I will note that they put some preview pages on their website during the Kickstarted campaign, and you can find those on the first two news pages.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gao posted:

The classes were redesigned, they added what's basically a Warlord, they rebalanced spells, added a stamina and combat maneuver system for martials, fleshed out exploration, and made a number of small rules changes. The combat maneuver system in particular seemed to be what appealed to a lot of people. Basically, all martial classes get a pool of stamina points that recharge on short rests, and as they level, they can pick powers that will be like "spend x stamina and make a weapon attack, and the target will make a saving throw and be blinded on a failure" or "spend x stamina and ride your mount up to its speed, doing y to enemies that you trample over." And now second wind has been removed from from the fighter's base class features, and instead there's a healing maneuver that I think any martial can select. This system definitely means more options than any had in base 5e, but I do feel like a lot of them are fairly redundant.

Spell wise, they adjusted damage to things like Fireball so that they're actually level appropriate (something I'm quite happy about), but the biggest individual spell change is Counterspell. Now, in addition to needing a check to counter something the same level, it doesn't just cancel out any action from the character being countered. Instead, the caster can reuse that energy to cast a spell of no more than half the level of the initial spell. I appreciate the reduction of dead turns. There's also some rare, enhanced versions of spells that the GM can use as rewards if they want. And of course there's some new spells in general, including some to let wizards do martial arts stuff for some reason.

There's also some equipment reworking that I have mixed feelings on. On the positive end, they gave weapons more features, now now a glaive and halberd are functionally different. But they also added a system for armor durability that just looks like a pain.

There's really a lot of stuff they changed all over the place. This is basically to 5e what Pathfinder was to 3.5. I just listed a few things that immediately popped into my head, but I have the player's guide, so let me know if you have any specific questions or want to know more detail about a specific thing. I will note that they put some preview pages on their website during the Kickstarted campaign, and you can find those on the first two news pages.

What you're telling me is I should buy the PDFs and immediately use them for my campaign. :D

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
A lot of third party settings and supplements for 5E loving suck, basically forcing the DnD framework to be something it isn't, but I've seen a couple which are really cool, with novel settings, some of which adapt 5E to non-european cultures written by people from those places. Is there a set list of good 3rd party stuff, or does anyone have recommendations?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

A lot of third party settings and supplements for 5E loving suck, basically forcing the DnD framework to be something it isn't, but I've seen a couple which are really cool, with novel settings, some of which adapt 5E to non-european cultures written by people from those places. Is there a set list of good 3rd party stuff, or does anyone have recommendations?

The Wagadu Chronicles looks sick, it's both an Afrofantasy MMO (apparently they've gotten backing from Riot since the 2020 Kickstarter was successfully funded) and a total 5e setting overhaul with a really interesting premise (all players are departed souls with no memories from the "upper world," cast into the lands below for unspecified crimes):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wagadu/the-wagadu-chronicles

They released the 200-page TTRPG book in 2020 for free and all of the classes are overhauled + it has its own unique bestiary: https://www.enworld.org/threads/the-wagadu-chronicles-a-free-african-fantasy-introductory-setting-adventure-bestiary.674607/

I've read through it and I'd love to run a game in the world but can't even get a Humblewood or Lancer campaign going so maybe at some point.

change my name fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 15, 2022

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Oooo that looks really good. I'll have to look into that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I have the best luck just going back and using old D&D content. I'm running a game in Mystara from the old basic set right now and its just the most D&D setting possible. Wizard nations, cursed gunpowder, airships, magitech gnomes, time travel, ancient spaceships, it's got it all!

There is a lot of non-european cultures in Mystara. Of course this was the 70s so it was all written by white nerds, and that can be a bit dicy in parts. But as DM you can just not include that stuff or make it good and modern. Some of them are litterally supposed to be from the real world like "some French guys fell through a portal" :v:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Anyone have any experience moving from Roll20 to Foundry VTT? My main issue is that I own several books on Roll20 (and physical copies, for that matter) but Foundry seems to only use the SRD. I know about the DNDBeyond integrating but unfortunately I don't own anything on that platform.

Am I just poo poo outta luck with migrating without basically repurchasing everything?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I finally got accepted into an OotA campaign (I jumped ship from the last one before it started when I realized everyone was playing a homebrew race and/or class) and rolled a human fighter who specializes in great weapons. Since it runs from levels 1 through 15, I think I'm going to go Battle Master fighter from 1 -> 6, then Totem barbarian from 6 to 10, and fighter again the rest of the way.

No spoilers please, but is this fine or will I be screwed? Any feats I should take? Was thinking of taking Slasher at level 6 to boost my dex to 16 before multiclassing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Malpais Legate posted:

Anyone have any experience moving from Roll20 to Foundry VTT? My main issue is that I own several books on Roll20 (and physical copies, for that matter) but Foundry seems to only use the SRD. I know about the DNDBeyond integrating but unfortunately I don't own anything on that platform.

Am I just poo poo outta luck with migrating without basically repurchasing everything?

So Foundry doesn't sell any officially licensed WotC stuff, they just include the SRD which they can do for free, and Wizards doesn't work with them for whatever reason(relatively new, and extremely like open and modular software probably)

There are things you can do to make importing stuff easier but yeah.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

change my name posted:

I finally got accepted into an OotA campaign (I jumped ship from the last one before it started when I realized everyone was playing a homebrew race and/or class) and rolled a human fighter who specializes in great weapons. Since it runs from levels 1 through 15, I think I'm going to go Battle Master fighter from 1 -> 6, then Totem barbarian from 6 to 10, and fighter again the rest of the way.

No spoilers please, but is this fine or will I be screwed? Any feats I should take? Was thinking of taking Slasher at level 6 to boost my dex to 16 before multiclassing.

You should be fine. Do you know what else people are taking.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yusin posted:

You should be fine. Do you know what else people are taking.

We're going to have a session 0 this week so there's likely to be some shifting around but so far I see a minotaur barbarian and dwarven artificer. Our DM is also giving our traveling companions sidekick levels so if we're ultimately low on casters it might not be a huge deal. Maybe I should go rune knight or psi warrior instead if we end up with a lot of frontliners.

The dex increase was because I misread the raging requirements as "you can't wear any" armor, not just heavy, thanks for pointing that out

change my name fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 15, 2022

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

change my name posted:

Great Weapon Polearm Master is basically the gold standard of 5e strength martial optimization so you're fine there. Not sure what 16 Dex does for you specifically when medium armor caps out at +2 Dex modifier, and barbarian unarmored defense doesn't even tie medium armor until your CON is 20, so I'd prioritize Polearm Master and dump the rest into boosting Strength. The golden rule of d20 games since forever has been action economy optimization, i.e. are you using your bonus action every turn, which is what Polearm Master does for you, and a halberd/glaive is both a great weapon and a polearm so it's doubly good, and with both reckless swing and battle master maneuvers your three GWM power attacks a turn should be pretty dang accurate too.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I'm reading the Level Up Adventurer's Guide and god drat do I wish my ranger would be able to call down a stampede at level 20.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

lightrook posted:

Great Weapon Polearm Master is basically the gold standard of 5e strength martial optimization so you're fine there. Not sure what 16 Dex does for you specifically when medium armor caps out at +2 Dex modifier, and barbarian unarmored defense doesn't even tie medium armor until your CON is 20, so I'd prioritize Polearm Master and dump the rest into boosting Strength. The golden rule of d20 games since forever has been action economy optimization, i.e. are you using your bonus action every turn, which is what Polearm Master does for you, and a halberd/glaive is both a great weapon and a polearm so it's doubly good, and with both reckless swing and battle master maneuvers your three GWM power attacks a turn should be pretty dang accurate too.

Taking a half feat to take de from 15 to 16 isn't the worst thing you can do, +1 to dex saves and checks (i.e. initiative) isn't nothing and you get the Slasher benefits. Getting GWM, PAM, and 20 str are all definitely better, but Slasher isn't that bad if it appeals to you. (Of course there's anti-synergy with the PAM bonus action attack, too)

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Dexo posted:

So Foundry doesn't sell any officially licensed WotC stuff, they just include the SRD which they can do for free, and Wizards doesn't work with them for whatever reason(relatively new, and extremely like open and modular software probably)

There are things you can do to make importing stuff easier but yeah.

I subbed to some guys patreon that let me convert the entire frostmaiden campaign I had from Roll20 to Foundry.

I think it's the same guy who created the d&d beyond 20 extension.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I’ve been running my buddies through Odyssey of the Dragonlords. I backed it on kickstarter way back, I think before Theros was even published. It’s written by a couple BioWare guys so it’s about as expected. Some really good parts, some parts you need to ignore or change, but so far everyone is having fun and the Greek setting is a nice change of pace, while not being like a complete setting reskin of classic fantasy.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
So Auril killed my Ranger beastmaster in RotFM, and the DM made my character's companion bear grab his dead body and run off into the woods...removing his 1500gp ice rapier and horn of unlimited liquids from the game. I wasn't pleased, but I also wasn't surprised, since that drinking horn was a lot more game-breaking than he anticipated.

My replacement character is a level 7 Harengone bladesinger, and he is one tough motherfucker. I gave him the Tough feat at level 4, and he's rocking 52 HP and an AC of 20 (bladesinging) at level 7. At level 8 he's taking Resilient: Con and he'll have at least 65HP and will basically be proficient in Con, Dex, Wis, and Int saves. He's unkillable.

I love Rabbitfolk and I'm glad they are officially a thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What's the run speed of a bear? They have to sleep, I have divination spells. That magic horn isn't going anywhere

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Rutibex posted:

What's the run speed of a bear? They have to sleep, I have divination spells. That magic horn isn't going anywhere

The party was beat to poo poo from the fight and the caster is incompetent. I also don't think they wanted to go against the DM since it was a nice story beat.

I picked a caster class that could melee because I like melee but the player who is running the party's wizard doesn't know what he's doing.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rutibex posted:

Whoops they fell through a portal to the feywild.