Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Saoshyant posted:

Is this a new thing from Razer??
HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS...

Nah it's a Backbone iPhone controller

https://playbackbone.com/

Old Retro Game Corps review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfBqza93HKU

Also a new inductee into the cult:
https://twitter.com/superbunnyhop/status/1478227507572711424

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Nah that’s the Backbone One. Best controller for iOS by far.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got a Gameforce Chi recently and am extremely happy with it. Been playing through the Japanese version of Ace Combat 3 and am having a great time. Went with the Chi for the ergonomics and the aesthetic and haven't been disappointed with long play sessions.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I’m squeezing all the performance I can get out of my RG351MP but I love the thing to death. Only real complaint I have is that the shoulder and trigger buttons are kinda uncomfortable after a long while. Still, it’s nice to play a little Brigandine or Final Fantasy Tactics before bed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Quoting myself from the retro games thread;

drrockso20 posted:

Well now I'm having some issues on my RG350, can't get either Turbo-CD or Virtual Boy games to run, for the former it gets stuck on the disc loading screen, for the latter they just crash during loading back to the menu

Using the stock Retroarch cores for those systems that come with Adam and I've got what should be the right BIOS for the Turbo-CD as well

drrockso20 posted:

And now my device appears to have killed itself, when it boots up it just gets stuck eternally in the Opendingux loading screen, what the hell is going on with this stupid thing?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bad SD card?

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Which version of Adam are you on? I had a lot of crashes on 1.3 on the 280M but 1.3.1 resolved them for the most part.

You could also try reflashing the image.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This portable famiclone contains a surprise inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIuXcJH6s_E

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Quoting myself from the retro games thread;

Seconding bad SD card/image. The general rule with these things is that the SD card that it comes with is garbage and should be replaced immediately.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The United States posted:

This portable famiclone contains a surprise inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIuXcJH6s_E
Are you a clickbait article writer?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

Famiclone sucked me off?!?!?!?!?

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I have a Retroid 2+ on order, and I'm not super familiar with the state of Android atm. Are there any third party launchers you could install that focus on emulation/gaming? Is this something you'd be able to boot directly in to or do we not have that capability on the R2+ yet?

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

Switched.on posted:

I have a Retroid 2+ on order, and I'm not super familiar with the state of Android atm. Are there any third party launchers you could install that focus on emulation/gaming? Is this something you'd be able to boot directly in to or do we not have that capability on the R2+ yet?
It comes with 2 built into the OS and also the DIG frontend as an optional install. The OS remembers your place in the default launcher when you turn it on and off which is nicer than what the original had. You have to set up Retroarch and all the other standalone apps before you configure the launchers, and then maybe again a second time depending on how janky things are. As far as running stuff in Retroarch's cores with Retroarch's playlist launcher and occasionally switching to a standalone emulator when a core doesn't cut the mustard, it's a clear upgrade from the original in most aspects. Since you bought a touch screen unit instead of upgrading the old one you'll have an even better time with the UI.

Beffica fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 12, 2022

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I’m trying to get my collection and everything sorted ahead of time so it helps to know what to expect from the device beforehand.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Ok so reflashing Adam onto the internal card worked(thank goodness I hadn't put the screws* back in yet from when I had first opened it up), still can't get Virtual Boy or Turbo-CD to work though, do either of those systems require their games to be unzipped?

*kind of want to figure out an alternative to screws for this so getting into the insides is easier, but honestly I might just go buy an RG350P cause they've gotten cheap on Amazon

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 13, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Ok so reflashing Adam onto the internal card worked(thank goodness I hadn't put the screws* back in yet from when I had first opened it up), still can't get Virtual Boy or Turbo-CD to work though, do either of those systems require their games to be unzipped?

TurboCD/PCE-CD accepts cue, chd, zip and 7z according to github. VBoy supports vb, vboy, bin, zip, 7z.

For PCECD, do you have the syscard3.pce in /bios/? VB shouldn't need a BIOS but I have no experience with it, personally. I'll throw some poo poo on my 280V and give it a whirl later today though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retro Dodo RP2+ review, I dispute the "under $100" monkier since this isn't ali express, there's no free shipping to anywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksmK80vpa74

Retrokezin's RP2+ Review, talks about build quality issues

Commander Keene posted:

I just mean it ends differently than all the other myriad review videos we've seen, and you definitely get to see the inside

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 13, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Let’s just call it the $100ish range.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think I'd rather pay more for a better handheld

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

As far as I know, the limitations of the RP2+ are it’s configuration of Android. Which should be, in theory, solvable by making a different front end the default launcher, and then adjust the defaults controls in RetroArch or whatever you end up using. This was my line of thinking for the first RP2 but it was such a lovely device that no matter what you did in Android, it just floundered around.

That said, a lot of these Android devices bring me back to the idea of getting a blacklisted good phone from a few years ago and just doing the same thing as above with a decent controller attachment thing. But then no one seems to make one that’s truly really really good except for Backbone — but that’s expensive and more geared towards iOS devices.

Speaking of Backbone, I may give that webrcade thing a shot tomorrow. Seems like it may be amazing to at least have set up.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

bowmore posted:

I think I'd rather pay more for a better handheld

I would too, if there were any with similar performance without being way bigger in size.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

uncle blog posted:

I would too, if there were any with similar performance without being way bigger in size.

Yeah this is the big one for me. I just don't want something SteamDeck sized. If they make a less powerful SteamBoyLite I would be all over that poo poo for emulation and getting caught up on my huge older PC game backlog.

The Aya Neo Next seems a lot closer to what I'm looking for but got drat that price is steep.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 13, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I'm looking for a handheld almost exclusively for GBA, mostly for the Metroids, and to a lesser extent a few SNES titles and maybe SotN on PS1. The consensus online seems to be that the RG351 series is the best fit for GBA due to the screen resolution. Is that still the case? Are there any other near the $100 point that I should look for? I prefer the look and form factor of the RG280v, but it seems to be a little bit less powerful.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

I'm looking for a handheld almost exclusively for GBA, mostly for the Metroids, and to a lesser extent a few SNES titles and maybe SotN on PS1. The consensus online seems to be that the RG351 series is the best fit for GBA due to the screen resolution. Is that still the case? Are there any other near the $100 point that I should look for? I prefer the look and form factor of the RG280v, but it seems to be a little bit less powerful.

You want the RG351V

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I can vouch for the 351V being a good value option for SNES, GBA and PS1. It should run all of that stuff no problem, and the custom firmware (351Elec) is quite easy to use.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I got the 351P for almost exclusively GBA use, its great. Also using 351Elec firmware, which is nice and very easy.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
351P is good or RGB10 Max 2 if you want a bigger screen size.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

The rg351v is great if you have DMG Gameboy form-factor nostalgia. Its 640x480 display is not *ideal* for GBA though. IMO it looks fine with the right filter but if GBA is your main thing you might want something in 3:2.

The rg351p is probably your best bet. I really like the RGB10 Max 2 also, but they went with a really wide display on it for some reason, which isn't helpful for almost any system it actually supports. I would've preferred they went with a 4:3 or 3:2 display and made it less long. But it's really comfortable to hold and play on.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I have an RG351M and it looks perfect for GBA. I don’t know how it could look better

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It looks pretty amazing on the RG552!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Appreciate the thorough recommendations all! I'll probably go for the 351p for the ergonomics and the 3:2 screen. The 351v is pretty cool, and the shoulder button solution is drat clever, but the 351p seems like it's probably more comfortable in the hands. Does the wifi enabled version make updating significantly easier or something? I can't seem myself using it for streaming or browsing.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Appreciate the thorough recommendations all! I'll probably go for the 351p for the ergonomics and the 3:2 screen. The 351v is pretty cool, and the shoulder button solution is drat clever, but the 351p seems like it's probably more comfortable in the hands. Does the wifi enabled version make updating significantly easier or something? I can't seem myself using it for streaming or browsing.

I know that there is WiFi in mine, and I think I primarily used it initially to scrape all the images and demo videos etc. that seemed useful but a temporary dongle would work for that. And now I use it for retro achievements, which is goofy but really fun so I suppose I’m glad I have it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah Retroachivements helps solve some of the 'emulator syndrome' for me where I just play a game for ten seconds and go "huh".

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Has anybody bothered enabling Google Play for their RP2+? Is it easy enough to turn back off once I snag the M64Plus FZ update? I really don't want to turn it on at all in the first place to make sure GameCube can run as fast as possible, but the FZ dev doesn't have a standalone APK with the RP2+ optimization patches as far as I know.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

My Rg351V is like the best purchase I've ever made. I have so much nostalgia for the gameboy form factor I'm very happy I went with it over the 351p. But again, it does lack a second analog stick and is probably less comfortable to hold for a long time so the 351p is probably better for you if you don't really love the vertical form factor. The screen on the 351v is amazing for SNES / PS1 stuff though where 640x480 is ideal and the GBA stuff definitely doesn't look too bad.

You can update the firmware over wifi also, but to be honest I tend to just plug the SD card into the PC to transfer things for the most part.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The ergonomics of the 351p are great and GBA looks perfect on it, just be aware that you won’t be able to get sharp pixels on any home consoles (SNES, Genesis, etc). Still perfectly playable, just depends on your personal level of OCD.

A 4:3 screen like in the 350m, 351v or 351mp is a better all-rounder (and actually the older 350m has better scaling methods to fit GBA to that screen than either of the newer ones), but the 351p is definitely more pocketable.

As mentioned the Wifi is basically for scraping and retro achievements - there’s no browser available on these devices. You can also use it for copying files to/from the device but it’s better for small things (save files, configs, etc) rather than large ROMs. I’ve found plugging a dongle in whenever I need to perfectly serviceable.

My personal path: I got a (cheap) V90 as a gateway drug, then a 351p, then 350m chasing sharp pixels, and recently a 552. The 552 screen is a perfect all-rounder but more expensive and different size category. Now I have that I’ll be selling the 350m.

Froist fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 14, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The best non FTP/scrape/cheevo use of the wifi is syncing your saves/states/screenshots to a cloud service imho

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The United States posted:

The new meta is installing a local webserver with built in javascript emulators to serve up roms in a browser to get around iPhone/Xbox restrictions I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlxLLtR3nE

Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Game Gear... I think that's it. So basically the same systems that fit the Analogue Pocket's square screen (though that one is much larger).

A few days late, but none of those are actually square. The Gameboys are close but still wider than they are tall, and the Game Gear actually had a standard 4:3 screen, just with wider-than-usual pixels.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Ended up ordering the RG315p, planning to install 351Elec when it arrives. As somebody that hasn't used an emulator since ZSNES in the mid 00s I'm blown away that these things exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD
My 351MP just arrived and I immediately loaded up 351ELEC. Pretty happy with it, but I'm surprised at some of the scaling defaults. Loaded up a few NES games and instantly noticed a ton of shimmering and uneven letters/health bars; had to switch the aspect ratio to 8/7 to get the look I was going for. Really happy with it now, though.

Do most folks not notice that type of thing? Or is it something they cover up with a filter/scanlines in order to avoid a black border? Or am I the wrong one here.

EDIT: Went back to 4:3 with the filter options covered here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh5W7vw9Lqc. A touch blurry but an improvement overall.

welp fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 14, 2022