Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

So I'm probably about to buy a 2021 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid and I need to insure it in New Mexico. Anyone have any suggestions?

e: :powercatte: May all your vehicle purchases be blessed, goons.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

davecrazy posted:

No, no shipping protector on the chin spoiler.

Also today I learned that the Durango Hellcat oil change is $200plus because you have to take a portion of the bumper off to access the oil cooler drainplug a "feature" it shares with the Jeep Trackhawk.

shockingly, high performance vehicles with extra oil coolers and poo poo have more complex and expensive routine service

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
OK Goons, got a question. In order to avoid being ripped off by the dealer, because going to the dealership is an option but usually not the right one ever, I have an older car, a 99 Honda Accord, and the key fob that came with the vehicle, although I'm not sure if it was factory installed or third party, has started to break.

The alarm system is fine, the key is still fine, it's just the fob itself has started to crack on the buttons. The company is rockledge securities, and their website doesn't look the most up-to-date. So would a locksmith or somewhere that installs car security systems be my best bet?

Edit: there is no direct replacement I see on Amazon or ebay either if that matters at all..

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 12, 2022

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cowslips Warren posted:

OK Goons, got a question. In order to avoid being ripped off by the dealer, because going to the dealership is an option but usually not the right one ever, I have an older car, a 99 Honda Accord, and the key fob that came with the vehicle, although I'm not sure if it was factory installed or third party, has started to break.

The alarm system is fine, the key is still fine, it's just the fob itself has started to crack on the buttons. The company is rockledge securities, and their website doesn't look the most up-to-date. So would a locksmith or somewhere that installs car security systems be my best bet?

Edit: there is no direct replacement I see on Amazon or ebay either if that matters at all..
Do any of these look like it?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=PROPLTX+Keyless&_sacat=0

On the Rockledge website I saw they mention PROPLM - Keyless Entry so I googled PROPLM and it looks like PROPLTX might be the model # of the transmitter? It looks like it might be called a Pursuit Keyless Entry?

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 12, 2022

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Look up a locksmith near you. Not a locksmith service, and I can't stress this enough, only a locksmith with a physical location near you. Then call them during business hours and tell them about your problem. If they cannot help you, they will refer you to somebody who will. An established business will have a physical location for you to go to, a trail of positive reviews on Google and knowledge and experience to handle your issue in the shortest amount of time for the least amount of money.

There is quite a bit of a scam industry around locksmith-type services, so it's important to know the difference.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the car stereo guys tend to do aftermarket alarm installs as well

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

Do any of these look like it?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=PROPLTX+Keyless&_sacat=0

On the Rockledge website I saw they mention PROPLM - Keyless Entry so I googled PROPLM and it looks like PROPLTX might be the model # of the transmitter? It looks like it might be called a Pursuit Keyless Entry?

https://www.rockledgesecurities.com/photos/remotes/
This is the only pic I've found online, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere.

I just don't know if any fob can be reprogrammed to an alarm system, I'd like to not be a total idiot when I start calling.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Modern phones are annoying for trouble shooting due to all the post processing of noise and light, but, this sounds about right, I think? At first it sounded like knocking but I think that's just what the valve train of a 70 year old engine design sounds like

Edit: guess I just need to adjust the valves?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 13, 2022

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

So my parents just decided to replace their 5ish year old Subaru with a new car because one of their friends got a new car and gotta keep up!! What should I steer them at to prevent disaster?

Proposed Budget: $40,000
New or Used: I think they're dead set on new
Body Style: Probably something crossovery with 4 doors and a lift gate, but I don't think it needs to be very large. The old car was a Crosstrek and they were happy with it even though it broke down multiple times.
How will you be using the car? This is a 'daily' for retirees who go to the store, go on road trips, etc. It's not a commuter car.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? They're not badge-conscious but do like Features And Gizmos and I think that's one of the motivators for this.
What aspects are most important to you?
Important to them:
- Comfort for olds
- Cool gizmos that olds can use
Important to me:
- Mechanical reliability. The Subaru broke down (like, stranded one or both them on the roadside requiring a flatbed) twice a couple years ago and I don't want them driving a car that does that even though they are pretty blasé about it.
- Crash safety and effective but unintrusive driver aids like blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, automatic emergency braking etc. They're not unsafe drivers but I do worry about it since they're getting on in years.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

So my parents just decided to replace their 5ish year old Subaru with a new car because one of their friends got a new car and gotta keep up!! What should I steer them at to prevent disaster?

Body Style: Probably something crossovery with 4 doors and a lift gate, but I don't think it needs to be very large. The old car was a Crosstrek and they were happy with it even though it broke down multiple times.
How will you be using the car? This is a 'daily' for retirees who go to the store, go on road trips, etc. It's not a commuter car.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? They're not badge-conscious but do like Features And Gizmos and I think that's one of the motivators for this.
Important to them:
- Comfort for olds
Important to me:
- Mechanical reliability. The Subaru broke down (like, stranded one or both them on the roadside requiring a flatbed) twice a couple years ago and I don't want them driving a car that does that even though they are pretty blasé about it.
- Crash safety and effective but unintrusive driver aids like blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, automatic emergency braking etc. They're not unsafe drivers but I do worry about it since they're getting on in years.

Ok, I would say loaded CR-V, top trim, take a test drive and see how they like it. If they are comfortable spending more, Audi Q5 / BMW X5, if they like luxury gizmos but want to save money, Audi Q3, although it will be less nice than the Q5.

If they like the CR-V segment they can check out the RAV4 as well. Honestly it is such a hyper competitive segment (probably the single most competitive segment in the industry), there are 100 similar offerings so it comes down to exterior and interior styling tastes.

e: It is their prerogative but man I would not want to replace a 5 year old vehicle that is in good working condition, just to say I have a new car. My car is 9 years old nearing 100k miles, literally the only thing that is important that I don't have is radar cruise control, there is no way I am selling it within a couple years unless I wreck it because the market is hosed. Diff'rent strokes though, and even leasing is still a valid choice.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 13, 2022

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Inner Light posted:

e: It is their prerogative but man I would not want to replace a 5 year old vehicle that is in good working condition, just to say I have a new car.

This point has already been made to them but to be honest I am super suspicious of that Subaru's mechanical reliability given prior history and I am glad to be see them out of it in any case.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Oldest Man posted:

Important to them:
- Comfort for olds
Important to me:

Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, in whatever trim they want. The top of the line limited comes in under budget at MSRP. Plenty of safety stuff, Toyota Hybrids are crazy reliable, Limited trim should be pretty nice inside. They can tell all their friends at bridge they have a fancy hybrid car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Good suggestions so far. I'll pitch the Toyota Venza, which is most of the virtues of the RAV-4 hybrid but it LOOKS fancy and has a nicer interior.

how did the subaru break down? just curious

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hadlock posted:

Edit: guess I just need to adjust the valves?
Famous last words of every classic car purchase.

The Oldest Man posted:

Important to them:
- Comfort for olds
Important to me:
$40k gets you all the gizmos in mass market CUVs let alone crossovers. You're gonna be spoiled for choice without a stronger preference for crossover or CUV.

CRV, Rav 4, CX5 all good choices. CX5 is a little more luxe and can take you right up to $40k (even without a hybrid option). CRV and Rav 4 good hybrid choices, if that's something that could be useful.

CX 50 is being introduced this year and it's probably fine cause it's just a bigger CX 30 (another you can look at if you like crossover size better) but still be aware it's a first year and it's not a CX 5 considering you are worried about reliability.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The CX5 is a really, really nice vehicle. Personally, I would start there.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

The CX5 is a really, really nice vehicle. Personally, I would start there.

Seconded. It's IMO the most luxe/premium feeling vehicle in the segment as well as the most powerful (with turbo) and best handling. Best safety test ratings as well, and Consumer Reports says it's one of the most reliable vehicles on the market, for whatever that's worth. To do better you have to spend $10-20k more to step up to a European option, with all the headaches and added costs that entails.

The only downsides are the maximum cargo space isn't as big as a RAV4 and the fuel efficiency isn't as good since it's not a hybrid, but I still get 25 combined and 30 highway.

I might be biased because I bought a CX-5 Signature after cross-shopping against the RAV4 hybrid, Forester/Outback, and even the Audi allroad/Q5 and BMW X3. The value proposition is unbeatable.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Guinness posted:

Seconded. It's IMO the most luxe/premium feeling vehicle in the segment as well as the most powerful (with turbo) and best handling. Best safety test ratings as well, and Consumer Reports says it's one of the most reliable vehicles on the market, for whatever that's worth. To do better you have to spend $10-20k more to step up to a European option, with all the headaches and added costs that entails.

The only downsides are the maximum cargo space isn't as big as a RAV4 and the fuel efficiency isn't as good since it's not a hybrid, but I still get 25 combined and 30 highway.

I might be biased because I bought a CX-5 Signature after cross-shopping against the RAV4 hybrid, Forester/Outback, and even the Audi allroad/Q5 and BMW X3. The value proposition is unbeatable.

I would agree with all this. Topped out CX-5 Turbo is putting you at 38.5k, so right at the budget. That's a nice car right there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A lot of people find Mazda seats uncomfortable somehow so it's probably still worth shopping a bit. I am also on the own a CX5 team on the strength of it's interior and the value for the toys that come in the high packages. But there's not a bad car out of the CX5, CRV, and Rav 4 so there's still room for personal preference.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Oldest Man posted:

Important to them:
- Comfort for olds
Important to me:

They could get a nice VW ID4 for that money if a fully electric car will work.

Idk how people are suggesting a BMW X5, that's like 80k

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

This isn't directly a car buying question but more of a market one but looking at this graph - what is going to occur when the chip shortage does end and new cars begin flooding back into showrooms and dealers lots? Am I correct in my suspicion that we're going to see a ton of deprecation? If so, doesn't it just make more sense to buy new at this time or something pre-owned or certified? If do need a vehicle but want something that at least holds most of it's value but does is the generic recommendation still just a Toyota Camry or whatever Ford/GM 4-door Sedan?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cars are not investments. They are a thing you buy because you need them to do a thing or because you can afford to have a toy that might also do a thing you need to get done.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I don’t think anyone really knows what’s going to happen with used car prices or what future supply looks like.

If you’re concerned about holding value definitely not a domestic 4 door sedan, tho, if you can find any still being made.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

So... it sounds like the traditional advice still applies, buy something reasonable not a 7-Series BMW.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't see future new car supply improving to meet demand until 2024 and not recovering until 2026 but those are just wild rear end guesses

That said the only time I would ever buy a car new is if I had a million bucks in the bank and just literally did not have the time to drive across the street to CarMax to save $4,000-12,000, or I was gonna die soon and was at the top of the Ferrari dealership's list for a new one

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

So... it sounds like the traditional advice still applies, buy something reasonable not a 7-Series BMW.

No, no we covered this. The 7-Series BMW is a reasonable purchase now. Please do the needful.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Inner Light posted:

No, no we covered this. The 7-Series BMW is a reasonable purchase now. Please do the needful.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Hadlock posted:

I don't see future new car supply improving to meet demand until 2024 and not recovering until 2026 but those are just wild rear end guesses

That said the only time I would ever buy a car new is if I had a million bucks in the bank and just literally did not have the time to drive across the street to CarMax to save $4,000-12,000, or I was gonna die soon and was at the top of the Ferrari dealership's list for a new one

At least in the truck market in southwestern Virginia, used cost as much as if not more than (unavailable) new. Market is poo poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This isn't directly a car buying question but more of a market one but looking at this graph - what is going to occur when the chip shortage does end and new cars begin flooding back into showrooms and dealers lots? Am I correct in my suspicion that we're going to see a ton of deprecation? If so, doesn't it just make more sense to buy new at this time or something pre-owned or certified? If do need a vehicle but want something that at least holds most of it's value but does is the generic recommendation still just a Toyota Camry or whatever Ford/GM 4-door Sedan?

Wow that graph does not reflect used Toyota values here at all.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I would love the market to reflect this!

Used car prices could crash - will they?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
This is only tangentially related to the subject, but I read a novel theory about the chip shortage in the hobby electronics thread from a goon who I think works in the electronics industry in some fashion. His theory was a little different from the ones I had read before.

He claimed that the chip shortage was caused by automakers cancelling orders at the beginning of the pandemic, predicting that demand for new car purchases would greatly go down. The chip-makers wound down their production in response. The car-makers later discovered that their prediction was wrong, panicked, and quickly bought up all of the chip production capacity, causing a big shock to the system. This, combined with people buying more consumer electronics due to staying inside/remote working during the pandemic, is what caused the chip shortage.

Is this theory plausible?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

silence_kit posted:

This is only tangentially related to the subject, but I read a novel theory about the chip shortage in the hobby electronics thread from a goon who I think works in the electronics industry in some fashion. His theory was a little different from the ones I had read before.

He claimed that the chip shortage was caused by automakers cancelling orders at the beginning of the pandemic, predicting that demand for new car purchases would greatly go down. The chip-makers wound down their production in response. The car-makers later discovered that their prediction was wrong, panicked, and quickly bought up all of the chip production capacity, causing a big shock to the system. This, combined with people buying more consumer electronics due to staying inside/remote working during the pandemic, is what caused the chip shortage.

Is this theory plausible?

That's what I heard, with the additional icing being that the chips the carmakers wanted were mostly older designs, and when they cancelled their orders, the chipmakers wound down the production on those permanently since they didn't fell like sales of those older chips would come back, but the market came back quickly and carmakers didn't have time to switch to newer chips, but the lines for the old chips were already being scrapped.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

For the most* part not scrapped, more that other customers bought up the production slots, eg:

https://twitter.com/iancutress/status/1481652648155643904?s=21

* some old lines did shut down but that’s pretty marginal

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the read between the lines scrapping is in relation to the tooling. No reason to get rid of lines these days but you got to retool if you're taking on other work and even if the car companies were the premier customer you probably not gonna interrupt a run if you've already refactored.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Is it true Ford has parking lots full of 2020 models waiting for chips?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Is it true Ford has parking lots full of 2020 models waiting for chips?

I've heard they've been delivering vehicles to lots without the electronics then ship them to the dealership once installed. And in other news I found this gem,

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1481748763714670596?s=20

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

They could get a nice VW ID4 for that money if a fully electric car will work.

Idk how people are suggesting a BMW X5, that's like 80k

Everything I've heard about the ID4 is that it's a massive pile of poo poo, in addition to being a dodgy long-term ownership proposition given that it's a first-generation Volkswagen EV

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Good news everyone they're going with a nice safe RAV4.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What are the hot takes on the BZ4X? Assuming it's priced around ~$45k.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godzilla07 posted:

Everything I've heard about the ID4 is that it's a massive pile of poo poo, in addition to being a dodgy long-term ownership proposition given that it's a first-generation Volkswagen EV

eh on the other hand who do you think is really making a guaranteed reliable EV right now? you couldn't make me touch first year Ford product with your dick. You could argue GM or the Koreans have experience, but they have had pretty serious recalls... or maybe the Leaf, the OG? but that's kind of poo poo, and Tesla is what it is.

The main complaints about the ID.4 are infotainment, touch-capacitive buttons, no frunk, shorter range than some competitors, and it feels like a normal CUV. hardly damning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What are the hot takes on the BZ4X? Assuming it's priced around ~$45k.

yes, my hot take is why? everything else at that price point is more compelling unless you most have a toyota