Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, the British monarch has the singular power to veto any law proposed and can unilaterally dissolve parliament. Just because she's never used that power doesn't mean she can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, the British monarch has the singular power to veto any law proposed and can unilaterally dissolve parliament. Just because she's never used that power doesn't mean she can't.

if she did that she wouldn't have those powers for very long

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The monarchy doesn't have much actual political power, but they're still incredibly rich and famous and that gives you more than enough power to get away with raping kids.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Andrast posted:

if she did that she wouldn't have those powers for very long

She has used the Royal Assent to exempt herself from a fuckton of things in complete secrecy (until it came out).

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/14/secret-papers-royals-veto-bills
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/28/queen-secretly-lobbied-scottish-ministers-climate-law-exemption

Infinity of it in the links from the second article.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Lot of talk about toppling the British Monarchy in the Dark Souls podcast thread.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I stand with Pat

Above him, anyway

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I bet the Queen's favorite Dark Souls is Dark Souls 2

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxyclean posted:

I bet the Queen's favorite Dark Souls is Dark Souls 2

I'm not sure she'd enjoy a game about how monarchs become inhuman monsters through their obsessions and selfish desires and the only way to become a decent leader is to embrace your humanity fully what with her being a lizard person.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Queen's favorite Final Fantasy is FF XIII... 2.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Queen's favorite Doctor remains Tom Baker.

She is privately furious about the recent origin retcon in Timeless Child.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

The Queen's favorite Final Fantasy is FF XIII... 2.

It is better than XIII tho

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm not sure she'd enjoy a game about how monarchs become inhuman monsters through their obsessions and selfish desires and the only way to become a decent leader is to embrace your humanity fully what with her being a lizard person.

You say that like she'd be the first wealthy person to like a media that wasn't for them

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfZgx9KIkcQ&t=1562s

One of the funniest things Woolie has done

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Depths posted:

You can see Reggie considering whether he was willing to get charged with assault or not for a couple of seconds there.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
New CSB episode.

Pat's dad being a stealth Risk 1998 beast is sending me.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Depths posted:

Woolie has fully embraced the Pattening in his role as Dark Souls mentor

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
reggie's dark souls run has been legit one of my favorite LPs in years. it's also the first woolievs thing i've watched with him. i'm gonna amend this and check out demon's souls/disco elysium soonish, because he's such an incredibly endearing person.

the silent hill streams have also been fun

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Marin Karin posted:

reggie's dark souls run has been legit one of my favorite LPs in years. it's also the first woolievs thing i've watched with him. i'm gonna amend this and check out demon's souls/disco elysium soonish, because he's such an incredibly endearing person.

the silent hill streams have also been fun
you should absolutely watch woolie and reggie play Paper Mario Thousand Year Door

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Reggie being oblivious to The Noise Machine in the latest Dark Souls episode was very funny, you could see Woolie losing his mind over it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Hey don't hate on someone who likes Enya

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The Dokapon LPs are a must-watch. The game is basically the marriage of JRPG with Mario Party and Monopoly. It's Woolie vs Mihn vs Reggie. The deepest psyche of those three are unleashed.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Woolie and Reggie started SH2 :toot:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Depths posted:

Woolie and Reggie started SH2 :toot:

Can't believe I missed the beginning of the stream :negative:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm catching up on the Dark Souls playthrough.

Woolie is going to hell for 'Try Courage'.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh drat, just heard woolie is going to play ff6 when the pixel remaster comes out, that's rad

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vandar posted:

I'm catching up on the Dark Souls playthrough.

Woolie is going to hell for 'Try Courage'.

It's a good moment.

In his defense, it probably should work the way he thought it did.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
It honestly really should. It'd be cool to fall, see "The Abyss," and then YOU DIED. It'd still have the obtuseness of having to go through your inventory to remember a ring mentioned abyss walking, so it's not much of a change difficulty-wise.

Also cool to see Woolie instantly started SH2. He generally takes 5 years to start sequels, so he must have really enjoyed 1.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Since SH2 is relevant here. What is the deal with Laura again? The town doesn't affect her, right? But why is she there?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish Woolie's Disco Elysium LP had 10x the current viewership it has.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh drat, just heard woolie is going to play ff6 when the pixel remaster comes out, that's rad

That should be interesting since Reggie should in theory be the one who knows the game this time around as he's an old school FF boy from what I've gathered. Doubt any of it's fresh in his mind of course, but should make for a change of pace since it's usually the opposite.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

davidHalestorm posted:

Since SH2 is relevant here. What is the deal with Laura again? The town doesn't affect her, right? But why is she there?
She was friends with Mary at the hospital, who probably mentioned Silent Hill.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
goddamn, catching up on the podcast and hearing woolie talk about Zero Ranger, I just watched a full playthrough including true ending and that's a fascinating game. never heard of it until now, but what an obvious passion project. gonna pick it up if for no other reason than to support the devs, I'm not good at shmups and don't really enjoy playing them much, but I do love watching people play them skillfully, and this playthrough was a great time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04MecEyzGQ4&hd=1

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm friends with the guys who made it and it really has been a labour of love from them. Same with Monolith, which Pat took a look at recently.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Monolith is great (the expansions suffered a bit from the BoI Expansion Effect, but that's fine), it's probably the best arcadey roguelike experience around.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

Suddenly nostalgic for Matt and Woolie's FFX playthrough.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I've been reading Steam reviews the FF Remasters, and one thing people keep mentioning is that the games have been rebalanced to be "easier?" Is that true, and if it is, does it hurt the experience at all? I've always wanted to play 1-5, but just never did.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I've been reading Steam reviews the FF Remasters, and one thing people keep mentioning is that the games have been rebalanced to be "easier?" Is that true, and if it is, does it hurt the experience at all? I've always wanted to play 1-5, but just never did.

They probably made the graphics worse and got the stats to all actually work so it's a coin flip on if that helps or hinders things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Forgall posted:

She was friends with Mary at the hospital, who probably mentioned Silent Hill.

according to supplementary materials she made her way to the town by hitching a ride with eddie of all people, hence their seeming familiarity with each other at the bowling alley

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 14, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RareAcumen posted:

They probably made the graphics worse and got the stats to all actually work so it's a coin flip on if that helps or hinders things.

I think the PR's are probably the best the games have ever looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

So it depends from title to title. FF1 is definitely easier in that there are purchasable ethers to restore spell slots now, which lets you actually use mages outside of bosses. FF2 is just some bug fixes, game is still FF2. FF3 is balanced akin to the original Famicom title, as opposed to the incredibly player-loving bogus math of the DS/3D port. (Short version: they made some very short-sighted inflation that means enemies have a lot more chance to wipe you and enemy health doubles or triples by endgame.) FF4 and FF5 I confess that I cannot tell much difference but these are also the two I've spent the least time with in PR form so far. Nothing was obviously tweaked, aside from FF4 being based on the original version of the game, not the "skills removed" US version.