Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I could see a Scalartech bounty unique ship that just spams fighters that spams fighters that spams fighters, given their whole gimmick is 'portal to a base with fighters' :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Holy gently caress these loving tesseracts tear through battleships like a battleship tears through destroyers.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Imagine trading and not YOLOing your rear end out to the outer reaches of the sector and claw your way up, getting excited when a survey ship doesn't have a bunch of derelicts around it. Couldn't be me

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

XIVth Legions are just so great. Nothing like watching it full-burn straight at the enemy spewing cannonfire and hammers. :allears:

I haven't even S-modded the thing yet.

I don't see myself dragging it out too often while exploring and stuff, but when a Pather or Pirate Base is annoying my home system, its time for the XIVth Battlestar to get to work. :black101:

The legion is still my fav ship just wish it had some large ballistic turrets up front instead of all those small mounts. S mod some heavy armor and aug drive on there and enjoy a ship that has shields and enough armor to comfortably armor tank!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I genuinely prefer the regular Legion to the XIV variant.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Arghy posted:

The legion is still my fav ship just wish it had some large ballistic turrets up front instead of all those small mounts. S mod some heavy armor and aug drive on there and enjoy a ship that has shields and enough armor to comfortably armor tank!

The standard Legion does use large gun mounts for its large slots; the two versions basically trade what their mid and large slots equip, and it makes them play a lot differently. It's actually the only XIV variant in vanilla that does this.

If you're looking into mods and want to dip into faction mods, one of the thrusts of Iron Shell is basically as a "XIV Battlegroup expansion", and provides a number of new hulls in that vein.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I like the mod that adds FOURTENTH BATLETGRUeP pirate versions

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 13, 2022

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Excelzior posted:

Vayra's Ship Pack is indeed a crucial, fundamental mod. :allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Excelzior posted:

I think if that gets updated then I would have very little reason to use anything other than their atlas mk 2s, because the regular atlas mk2 is already great.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I'm loving loving the faction flavored ships so far and it's really hard to pick a favorite haha--the extreme modification also sounds amazing because you can get 4 s-mods on a ship for some insanity.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Vayra's Ship Pack is indeed a crucial, fundamental mod. :allears:

its still not up to date for 0.95....

E: oh wait no i was thinking of vary'as sector

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vayra is a god tier modder imo

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Finally did the Princess of Eventide mission for the first time and I have to say I was not expecting a frigging swordfighting mechanic in the game. Strong Firefly vibes. Seemed kinda bugged, though, my screen was off-center.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

What's this?! A mod that tells you when you're low on ram and should restart the game?! ARE WE LIVING IN 2050?!

I feel the musashi ships were balanced against redacted because they do really well against them yet friggin everyone has access to them haha. How they think the rail gun which is the same cost as the hyper velocity cannon is balanced is questionable though--it's better in every regard. I'm definitely scared of late game when pirates will have access to the capital ships because they look like loving terrors. I'm loving the expanded sector stuff because now there's multiple unexplored systems near the core and i've already found 4 really loving good systems a few LY away from the core but i definitely don't want them. I wish i could colonize them then give them to independents because it feels weird that these nice worlds are right next to the hell holes of the core.

Industrial evolutions new exploration events are also really nice.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Yeah, beware mods that add stuff that is a plain upgrade to vanilla, or has downsides that won't arise with a reasonably obvious playstyle. They can be fun but they train you to be lazy.

A lot of the time the balancing factor is "more OP", and that's fine - it's not like it's normal to have a bunch of OP spare on anything except dedicated carriers sometimes.

Edit: exception are those flak variants from some common mod. Small-slot flak, and a couple of other related things, are clear gaps in the vanilla lineup. And while that does often make them an upgrade to vanilla (because you otherwise would have to use an inappropriate weapon or hardpoint size), their numbers are in line with vanilla scaling.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 14, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The more outside the realm of vanilla a given ship pack or faction's doctrine is, the more OP it tends to be. Vanilla doesn't have artillery ships, really. The ships with accelerated ammo feeder are normally close up sluggers, not snipers like everything in Musashi.

On the bright side- EVERYONE gets Musashi weapons. Just wait till you see a pirate with Tengu cannons one shot your beautiful blaster tempest with a reckless officer.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah the 1 OP weapons are wonderful and not that bad, even the PD variants he adds aren't that bad but a few items are straight up upgrades. His medium carrier is OP as hell, 15DP to the herons 20 with 4 fighters and better stats including combining a freighter with a carrier which is brilliant. I love the concept of dedicated carriers and 4 fighters is very reasonable for 20DP but it should be weaker than the heron for sure.

I loving love the ships though, watching them turn broadside and fire every weapon is so awesome after these dumb rear end vanilla ships with casement weapons. No one is ever going to design a ship then put in a weapon mount that only has 30 degrees of motion... to the side of the ship. You either wouldn't put it on or you'd put it in a better spot and i don't care how flavorful it looks, in the end you'll throw that ship in the bin.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

*Conquest gang is typing...*

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
conquest owns.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Someone make a jiff to Tokyo drift of a ship from musashi sliding sideways firing all guns while a conquest waddles to a tuba.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Arghy posted:

Someone make a jiff to Tokyo drift of a ship from musashi sliding sideways firing all guns while a conquest waddles to a tuba.

This is how the Conquest used to play before it got nerfed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqeSrnrbuUc

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The bare minimum DP for a vanilla fighter bay seems to be 5, with other abilities increasing that.

If you're getting them for anything less, without disadvantages that seriously reduce the effectiveness of strike craft, then the stats are off.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I cant help but think cowardice was a factor in getting Comquest nerfed tbh

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

my dad posted:

This is how the Conquest used to play before it got nerfed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqeSrnrbuUc

I mainly miss 8dp hammerheads and 15dp furies.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Playing with Mushashi

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Ever wonder why every mod adds a Onslaught variant, but almost no mods add a Conquest variant?

It's because the Conquest is already perfect in every way.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

yeah musashi's mod isn't particularly well balanced.

Griz
May 21, 2001

champion with the scalartech beam weapons is a candidate for best cruiser in the game, as long as it has support

Griz fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 14, 2022

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The best Conquest days were back when the game would let you coast on speed bonuses, so could crank it up with maneuvering jets and the zero flux bonus and then drift across the battlefield at frigate speed guns blazing as long as you didn't try to adjust course.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Atopian posted:

I mainly miss 8dp hammerheads and 15dp furies.

I don't miss anything because I didn't play the game back then, but I wish I was there for the turbo Conquest. :v:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Voyager I posted:

The best Conquest days were back when the game would let you coast on speed bonuses, so could crank it up with maneuvering jets and the zero flux bonus and then drift across the battlefield at frigate speed guns blazing as long as you didn't try to adjust course.

You can still coast if you somehow manage to flameout, right? I think I've done that by accident before.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sandweed posted:

Ever wonder why every mod adds a Onslaught variant, but almost no mods add a Conquest variant?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Atopian posted:

You can still coast if you somehow manage to flameout, right? I think I've done that by accident before.

Yes! I am very good at sending Furies spinning off in arbitrary directions at 200+ su.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Griz posted:

conquest with the scalartech beam weapons is a candidate for best cruiser in the game, as long as it has support

You know a capital is good when it needs support to match a smaller class of ship.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Sandweed posted:

dont talk to me or my son ever again

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The current version of the Blade Breaker Deserter Ifrit cruiser (from Dassault Mikoyan) is extremely broken.

Its ship system makes its shield 10x more effective in exchange for not being able to shoot, and it has a hullmod that lets it dissipate hard flux. It seems like the shield system is supposed to have a cooldown, but it doesn't. Meaning it can effectively shield tank forever.

I plopped it in front of a Paragon in the simulator and it basically just sat there at near-zero flux while slowly grinding down the Paragon.

Next up is building some more of them and throwing them at the nearest coronal hypershunt.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 14, 2022

Griz
May 21, 2001

Brandfarlig posted:

You know a capital is good when it needs support to match a smaller class of ship.

i confused it with the champion which is a most excellent large energy mount cruiser

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Raine posted:

dont talk to me or my son ever again

https://i.imgur.com/3DawzPn.mp4

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
For the spaceboat stuff, the Phoca from Tahlan is one of my favourite ships. Its made out of paper for a cruiser, but it's pretty fast. Plus the generous angles on the 4 medium turrets mean it's an excellent broadsider that the AI doesn't get confused about.