Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I sometimes get tongue tied. If I were on video most of the time I was in public I'm sure there'd be some good footage of me stumbling over words. Should I get myself checked out?

I feel like if a 30 year old did the exact same thing we'd laugh, but we wouldn't immediately jump towards labeling them mentally incompetent.

I feel gross defending Biden, but this line of attack seems a bit unfair.

Is there a relevant Ross Perot quote for this situation?

The average 30 year old does not talk nearly as much as a president does. One of the president's primary roles is to be a public speaker, and they often have spent hours and days and weeks practicing and polishing how they talk. When they can't do so effectively or clearly - especially when they haven't had such issues in the past - I think it's pretty fair to assume something's going on. Doubly so when the individual in question is displaying questionable behavior like this:

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

IDK what he was doing here a few months ago but that is not how people firing on all cylinders stand.
https://twitter.com/INVESTMENTSHULK/status/1451354446680793089?s=20

Can you imagine if Mayo Pete was doing poo poo like that? What about Sinema? We might assume it's drug-fueled instead of senility due to the difference in age, but the question of mental state would definitely get brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm horrified, not amused, by having the country led by a president & congress who are clearly not up to the job.

I suppose it doesn't matter inasmuch since it's staffers & appointees who actually run the country (with the assistance of capital) but it's terrifying to see the country's figureheads in front of the camera--not because of "stutters" but because of cognitive decline.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

small butter posted:

Yeah, I don't like it when people make fun of Biden for this. People who overcame and hide their stutters often do this and say that Biden is doing exactly that. Also, I'm a total wreck when speaking to anyone but I write pretty well. I forget simple words all the time like I'm truly demented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05VnURkqjXs

Joe Biden was once able to speak perfectly fine, he did so for decades. He is no longer able to do this at all, because he clearly has dementia. The Rand Paul debate makes this extremely clear.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

small butter posted:

Yeah, I don't like it when people make fun of Biden for this. People who overcame and hide their stutters often do this and say that Biden is doing exactly that. Also, I'm a total wreck when speaking to anyone but I write pretty well. I forget simple words all the time like I'm truly demented.

The difference is Biden in his prime was an amazing speaker, one of the better ones I've seen (his politics were still right-wing dogshit, but that's besides the point). No confusion, no long pauses. Nobody is making fun of stutters, we're saying that anyone who is trying to pass off Biden's bizarre behavior as a stutter is being disingenuous and running a partisan cover-job for what is clearly severe mental decline.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

The difference is Biden in his prime was an amazing speaker, one of the better ones I've seen (his politics were still right-wing dogshit, but that's besides the point). No confusion, no long pauses. Nobody is making fun of stutters, we're saying that anyone who is trying to pass off Biden's bizarre behavior as a stutter is being disingenuous and running a partisan cover-job for what is clearly severe mental decline.

it is one of the recurring, fascinating things to me about the last six years

no serious outlet was willing to raise the question if Trump was suffering mental decline, let alone Biden. is deference to senile elites really THAT built in to our system?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The center for covid control which has over 270 location in the usa is in the process of shutting down for a week because of multiple state investigations and a federal investigation over complaints including: bogus testing, unmasked staff and no distancing, telling people they were given pcr tests but were given rapid tests instead, and giving tests and people not getting their results.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/covid-testing-chain-under-investigation-temporarily-shuts-down/

Ron first had this a couple days ago, but the shutdown starts today.
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1480721938725195776

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

no serious outlet was willing to raise the question if Trump was suffering mental decline, let alone Biden. is deference to senile elites really THAT built in to our system?

Julian Castro obliquely referred to it during the debates and promptly got memory holed.

Everybody should seriously let that video of the debate run for a little bit and just listen to what Biden sounded like ten years ago. He's a completely different person now. Now, dementia is a specific medical condition with definitions that I don't think applies to Biden (or Trump!) but there is no sane argument that Biden hasn't suffered significant mental decline. He's probably still lucid enough to live on his own, but I'd feel more comfortable if he was taking a yearly drivers' test, and he shouldn't be within 200 feet of an elected office.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's been jokes about elder abuse for ages, and are probably also on the money.

Funny thing is between Harris being obviously both callous and wildly incompetent, and Pelosi probably also being senile, there really is probably no one actually in charge of the US right now. Which explains a lot.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The problem is that the majority of people who reliably vote are also old and often also hanging onto their power for way too long so an accusation of old age senility is viewed as an attack on them.

Don't blame me, I voted for Buttigieg. I'm much further left than him but he was the one non-septuagenarian I could stomach and I like my presidents to be alive and somewhat capable of doing their job for 8 years.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 14, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Maybe it's just because I'm used to her being incredibly old, but Pelosi's never seemed like she's losing it. She's frequently awkward when speaking, but not in a dementia way, more in that she's uncomfortable talking to people with a net worth of under $700,000.

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D

Youth Decay posted:

The problem is that the majority of people who reliably vote are also old and often also hanging onto their power for way too long so an accusation of old age senility is viewed as an attack on them.

Don't blame me, I voted for Buttigieg. I'm much further left than him but he was the one non-septuagenarian I could stomach and I like my presidents to be alive and somewhat capable of doing their job for 8 years.

Yeah suggesting any aging politician's mental health is on decline is a quick way to have tons of people rushing out to defend them, even in this very thread. Some people seem to see any discussion about mental health in politicians as an attack against disabled americans. "I'm 30 and I stutter if you saw me doing it would you suggest I need mental help as well" etc.

For someone like Biden who exists in the public constantly, it's very clear he's on decline. Even from a few years ago, he could speak confidently and passionately with no stutter. Now he seems to have trouble even keeping up with the basic idea of what he's trying to say. Look at him discussing supply chain issues where he got so confused he just mumbles "Um um um, what am I doing here" and goes quiet until someone off-screen tells him the rest of the sentence he was discussing. Or the utterly bizzare interview where he stood with his arms locked infront of him like he's holding a podium, which I have still seen no explanation for. Or as someone else linked in this thread Biden being unable to remember the simple words of the constitution "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created by... the... you know... the thing." A simple "Stutter" does not make up for the president of the united states literally not being able to quote the most famous line of our own constitution without having to just give up and move on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Youth Decay posted:

Don't blame me, I voted for Buttigieg.

Well, blame isn't the right word...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lib and let die posted:

Sure, that's a fair point. Call me cynical but I think most of the private citizens that took part have drank enough of the kool-aid that they'll happily serve out their terms as heroic political prisoners or whatever they tell themselves.

you vastly overestimate how favorably people feel towards ten year prison sentences

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you vastly overestimate how favorably people feel towards ten year prison sentences

And how willing even the "true believers" on the right are to actually experience consequences rather than simply claim oppression.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Bugsy posted:

The center for covid control which has over 270 location in the usa is in the process of shutting down for a week because of multiple state investigations and a federal investigation over complaints including: bogus testing, unmasked staff and no distancing, telling people they were given pcr tests but were given rapid tests instead, and giving tests and people not getting their results.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/covid-testing-chain-under-investigation-temporarily-shuts-down/

This is happening in IL too, one test location was just taking people's info, giving them 'tests' and then never contacting them with results. I would not be surprised that there would be unscrupulous companies taking advantage of the need for rapid testing to make money in some way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's been jokes about elder abuse for ages, and are probably also on the money.

Funny thing is between Harris being obviously both callous and wildly incompetent, and Pelosi probably also being senile, there really is probably no one actually in charge of the US right now. Which explains a lot.

Mitch McConnell is currently running the United States, but because he’s also a decrepit old gently caress who doesn’t want to do anything and only wants to see things get worse, there is still functionally no one running the United States.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

it's been a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Z1YE1iCxM

then as now, any attack was seen as blatantly partisan (because it was) and easily brushed off as mean-spirited nitpicking (which it also was).

i still do think people were overblowing biden's supposed senility in the campaign, but it seems pretty clear to me that he's doing worse in public now than he was during the campaign. is it because his tenure is going badly? is it because he's more exposed now than he was when campaigning? is it because i'm just more unhappy with him now for mismanaging things even worse than my suspicions during the campaign? idk! at the very least, it's more evidence for the decades-old pile of reasons septuagenarians and octogenarians shouldn't be the ones running things.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 14, 2022

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Majorian posted:

South Carolina also has a completely different racial demographic makeup than Nevada. Nevada, incidentally, has a much closer racial demographic makeup to the United States writ large than South Carolina.

My eyes literally just widened at this.

:bisonyes:

Nevada has also gone for the Democrats more recently than Jimmy Carter.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ringo Star Get posted:

This is happening in IL too, one test location was just taking people's info, giving them 'tests' and then never contacting them with results. I would not be surprised that there would be unscrupulous companies taking advantage of the need for rapid testing to make money in some way.

I ran into something like this in VA too. Tried to find an "official" testing place, but surprise surprise there were none in my area (DC adjacent NOVA). Found something in Old Town that called itself like "community something or other health". It was in an old row house right in the downtown area of Old Town near the shops and bars, walked in and it was hardcore "instagram" styled guru nonsense inside. Walls covered in Chakra bullshit, an actual "Live Laugh Love" sign, faux fur rugs draped over everything and the whole place was either decked out in pure white or millennial pink. There was a young lady at the "reception" desk, which was just an old, poorly repainted, side table and she handed me a bejeweled tablet to "sign in".

They did "tests" but they were not accepting insurance. The "rapid test" was $300, the normal test was $100, and they would only send the results via an app that you had to download and register before you could continue.

OH, but there was a discount for the test, 50% off, if you bought a course of wellness treatments as well. Vitamin shots, Salt Lamp therapy, bowl singing session, every stupid bullshit instagram fad for hundreds of dollars on top of the "discounted" test.

I walked out without saying anything. Felt like a goddamn cult.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

So far as I've seen in Florida, testing sites are a great place to catch covid. 20-30 people all huddled up on top of each other standing around a tent, you may as well just assume you have it if you get tested down here. If you didn't have it before you got to the test site, you probably got it while you were there.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

So far as I've seen in Florida, testing sites are a great place to catch covid. 20-30 people all huddled up on top of each other standing around a tent, you may as well just assume you have it if you get tested down here. If you didn't have it before you got to the test site, you probably got it while you were there.

There are supposed to be guidelines that are actually observed like having people stay in their vehicle or away from the area until texted or their number is called. Also, distancing, masking and etc.

Of course, CDC guideline are now optional for cruises, so even if Florida testing sites have guidelines they're obviously not being followed:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2022/01/12/cruises-covid-protocols-cdc/9120931002/

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Lib and let die posted:

Feature, not a bug (well, aside from the covid bug)!

Herd immunity now! Sure, some will die, but that's what the governor is willing to accept.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

OAquinas posted:

Herd immunity now! Sure, some will die, but that's what the governor is willing to accept.

Funny way of spelling "capital". Is that an older spelling of the word?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ Exactly.

OAquinas posted:

Nah, it was even worse than that at the (now closed) popup site where I was tested in Illinois: teeny unventilated storefront in which five people waited at a time inside, with two more people doing the testing right there (ie: not in a back room farther away). At least the FL site was outdoors.

Two of the four people ahead of me answered affirmatively to having sore throats, fevers & congestion, at which point I almost noped out of the place but ended up staying because the assembly line had them out of there fairly quickly.

And Gov. Pritzker's been good about handling covid aside from facilitating the nursing-home massacres (which I realize is sort of a mrs. lincoln joke). The bogus testing sites are a natural byproduct of a private healthcare delivery system combined with a federal government too slow on the draw when it comes to public-health initiatives.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ Exactly.

Nah, it was even worse than that at the (now closed) popup site where I was tested in Illinois: teeny unventilated storefront in which five people waited at a time inside, with two more people doing the testing right there (ie: not in a back room farther away). At least the FL site was outdoors.

Two of the four people ahead of me answered affirmatively to having sore throats, fevers & congestion, at which point I almost noped out of the place but ended up staying because the assembly line had them out of there fairly quickly.

And Gov. Pritzker's been good about handling covid aside from facilitating the nursing-home massacres (which I realize is sort of a mrs. lincoln joke). The bogus testing sites are a natural byproduct of a private healthcare delivery system combined with a federal government too slow on the draw when it comes to public-health initiatives.

My favorite guaranteed-to-get-COVID COVID test site is the one outside the super lib-y health food utopia restaurant. It ain't just the chuds acting like covid is over/never happened.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bugsy posted:

This really makes the whole "just google covid testing near me!" thing even dumber.

When the government abdicates its role, the predators take its place.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

This really makes the whole "just google covid testing near me!" thing even dumber.

When the government abdicates its role, the predators take its place.

Especially because bogus testing sites can pay to appear near the top of a google search, lol.

This pandemic has really shown the country's rear end on the downsides of purestrain capitalism, huh? As much as people want to blame culture wars for our downfall, the arch villain in this mess is crystal clear.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

General_Disturbed posted:

Or as someone else linked in this thread Biden being unable to remember the simple words of the constitution "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created by... the... you know... the thing." A simple "Stutter" does not make up for the president of the united states literally not being able to quote the most famous line of our own constitution

Is whiffing twice on the document that's actually from a mere slip of the keyboard, or a symptom of decline?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sarcastro posted:

Is whiffing twice on the document that's actually from a mere slip of the keyboard, or a symptom of decline?

I don't understand what you're saying here; can you please explain it a little better?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't understand what you're saying here; can you please explain it a little better?

Yes, that line is not from the Constitution.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Lib and let die posted:

Funny way of spelling "capital". Is that an older spelling of the word?

DeSantis is a blood gargling chud. Sure, his interests align with capital but I'm very sure he literally doesn't GAF about lives.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sarcastro posted:

Yes, that line is not from the Constitution.

Oh yah, I noticed that too, lol.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

OAquinas posted:

DeSantis is a blood gargling chud. Sure, his interests align with capital but I'm very sure he literally doesn't GAF about lives.

That doesn't make him particularly exceptional in either state or federal government.

And, to be explicit, that's not intended as a defense of him, either. If anyone deserves a whole lot of things that are unwise to speak into existence in public befall on them, it's that piece of poo poo.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

100% yes. We saw it with Trump. We are still seeing it with Biden (the biggest example IMO being Castro just about getting excommunicated for even mentioning it). We’re seeing it to a lesser extent with Pelosi. It’s clear as day with Feinstein.

This article just came out and illustrates how it works perfectly.

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2022/01/13/david-scott-house-agriculture-worries-527015

Colleagues only willing to discuss his clear mental decline, that is actively and perniciously affecting their legislative agenda, if they can speak anonymously. Reportedly raising concerns with Democratic house leadership because things got so off the rails.

Meanwhile the house leadership denies they’ve even had a complaint made, let alone addressing it. Meanwhile his handlers basically keep him away from journalists and pretend it’s because he’s too busy.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yeah, the Politico story about Scott is what initially started this tangent, and it mentions how House leadership isn't going to take up the matter when all three of them are all older than Scott themselves.

quote:

Making any move against Scott, a well-liked Congressional Black Caucus member, would cause significant problems for House leaders who themselves are all octogenarians.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OAquinas posted:

Setting up fake Covid testing sites from the state that gave us mandatory drug tests for welfare that funnel money into testing labs owned by Rick Scott's wife is pretty par for the course.

The state has also rendered unemployment insurance almost impossible to collect behind limited access hours to the website itself that also freezes a lot as well as an additional step to confirm your ID that not only doesn't work half the time but automatically makes you do that all over again if you're "out of the system" for like 3 or 4 weeks. Which is sucking stupid since they KNOW who I am. Also, restricting access to the website to ONLY DURING WORKING HOURS kind of flies in the face of the idea that I'm supposed to be out there pounding pavement. If anything, 9pm is the ideal time for me to file because, presumably, I've spent all day working the phones, brushing up my CV and dropping off resumes all over town in a quest to earn more than $14/hr. But the UEI website runs from 8-5.

I've been sporadically employed over the past year for several reasons and was surprised to learn that, magically, the state run website doesn't seem to remember me after 2 months or so. It's a blatant way to drive down unemployment claims and numbers, similar to Trump saying that we have to stop testing because with more testing we get more Covid case results. When people can't file for UEI, somehow the # of claims go down!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1481969364828098565?s=20

I swear I live in a simulation because you can't make this stuff up. The GOP is concerned about Fauci's finances being hidden and shady.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

I swear I live in a simulation because you can't make this stuff up. The GOP is concerned about Fauci's finances being hidden and shady.

I mean, the Democrats should agree to this if they broaden it. I feel like this is such an own goal.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Medullah posted:

No, they're not. They just want people and/or right wing media to have a source to cite about his so-called shady finances to discredit him. Whether or not he actually has shady finances is entirely besides the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's being done for an incredibly stupid reason, but... wouldn't that be good? So long as it also covers congresspeople, executives, and justices