Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t think I’m any good at the Hitman games because I just get impatient and annoyed when I get spotted randomly but I’ll definitely give them another try because of this

That doesn't matter. When you get spotted, choose violence. Don't think you have to complete them as an unseen shadow who never got spotted. They're emergent chaos simulators where at least half the fun is desperately knocking people out with thrown cans of expired spaghetti sauce, while trying to switch disguises before the next batch of guards comes down on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I bought Hitman 2 (on ps4) back when Hitman 1 was a ps+ game since you can load H1 maps into H2. Every 2-3 months I start a new level and play the poo poo out of it and then stop. I'm only 2 maps into Hitman 2 as a result. I like to play a few of the guided mission stories at the start to get a feel for the level and then start planning my own elaborate kills, usually using the challenge list as a guide. While it's fun to go loud and violent sometimes, I do think it's far more valuable as a slower, trial and error, plan-and-execute game. The type where you look at the challenge list and see "knock out both targets with a fish" and it's fun for you to try and figure that out.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Yeah Hitman for me is a game to poke at the elaborate clockwork motions everyone is going through and see how I can break it in the most funny and interesting ways.

These Hitman games are fantastic and might be my favorite games of the last generation.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Barudak posted:

I guess I'll finally try these games, get bored and then uninstall them months later when I remember their still taking up space.

Just use xcloud, it's so good for games that don't need perfect inputs

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The Anacrusis doesn't have achievements yet. Screw that.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

American McGay posted:

HITMAN Trilogy coming to Game Pass on the 20th holy gently caress.

I already own all of them but that's an insane package.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Also if any goons want to complain about Hitman and upload gameplay videos of themselves self-owning, you have my blessing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im surprised cheevos arent mandatory for certification

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think it’s in early access

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Soul Glo posted:

I think Gears fell into the same problem as Halo where they’ve built, purposely or not, a lot of lore and backstory over the past two generations that a relative-to-most-xbox-owners small audience cares very much about that the rest of us sit and watch and are completely unaffected by and left disinterested.

Like, dude, I barely know what this planet is even named, I don’t care about Kat and her grandma. Gimme more ugly monsters to shoot.

I played for another hour last night and this is a big part of why it’s bugging me. I’d honestly rather snow ride and creep dark buildings in silence than have all that background chatter.

A visceral shooter like Gears is hampered by the narrative IMO.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I loved the gears 4 narrative. It would have been boring without the teen drama vibe.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gears 4 had all these robot enemies that just made me wish i was playing the much much better binary domain

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Gears is definitely in a worse spot atm than Halo, which is also not in a great spot but at least both of them seem to be coasting along on their strong multiplayer and fans loyal to them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

Gears 4 had all these robot enemies that just made me wish i was playing the much much better binary domain

That's why I bounced off it. I hated the intro. Once you get through that into the meat it's great. Having the super clean modern world where robots are the enemy and stuff is pretty chill is a good setup for the rest of the game and contextualised the new characters tho.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Soul Glo posted:

I think Gears fell into the same problem as Halo where they’ve built, purposely or not, a lot of lore and backstory over the past two generations that a relative-to-most-xbox-owners small audience cares very much about that the rest of us sit and watch and are completely unaffected by and left disinterested.

Like, dude, I barely know what this planet is even named, I don’t care about Kat and her grandma. Gimme more ugly monsters to shoot.

Gears peaked when I was chainsawing my way out of a Dune worm but now we get bloodline drama.

Are all the Gears games one storyline?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

Are all the Gears games one storyline?

Yeah. Gears 4 introduces a new main cast while the original football team boys are now coaching staff.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

JBP posted:

Yeah. Gears 4 introduces a new main cast while the original football team boys are now coaching staff.

That's cool. I've never played them, but was thinking about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hitman is a cool addition but I also really wanted to play it in VR when I got around to it... It's free though.hmm.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's on Game Pass PC as well, unless you're talking about PSVR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the only VR version available is exclusive to playstation unless it was added to PC recently and I didn’t notice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh wait it gets PCVR support on the 20th. Woo!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
VR adds a cool dimension to Hitman, I really enjoyed going into those levels once I got the hang of them in 2D. PSVR was pretty low fidelity and hopefully PCVR lets it stretch it's legs a bit.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
:getin:

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I tried out my new Series X last night after using an S for the past few months.

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but the jump isn't quite as drastic as I expected it to be. It really shows how good the S is, especially for the money. Had I got the X for full price I think I'd feel a bit more negative about it, but I can't complain.

I would say if you're on the fence about getting the S or X, go for the S. It's a fantastic machine and for the price is a no brainer.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Pitwar posted:

I tried out my new Series X last night after using an S for the past few months.

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but the jump isn't quite as drastic as I expected it to be. It really shows how good the S is, especially for the money. Had I got the X for full price I think I'd feel a bit more negative about it, but I can't complain.

I would say if you're on the fence about getting the S or X, go for the S. It's a fantastic machine and for the price is a no brainer.

Sure, I believe it. But what about some years down the line? It's only 100 bucks more so if you can snag one, why not just go for the supreme version.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Xbox supreme w/ guacamole

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Help I ordered an Xbox supreme now all the vents are filled with sour cream

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

John F Bennett posted:

Sure, I believe it. But what about some years down the line? It's only 100 bucks more so if you can snag one, why not just go for the supreme version.

MSRP for Series X is $200 more than the S. Which is a big difference for most people imo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pitwar posted:

I would not say this, you’re gonna have massive buyer’s remorse in about two year’s time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

teagone posted:

MSRP for Series X is $200 more than the S. Which is a big difference for most people imo.

When you consider the price of the official storage solution it makes it almost a no brainer to get the X

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I guess. Use cases/gaming habits are obviously different, but I never went beyond ~200GB used on my 1TB One S and don't expect to exceed that on my Series S either. More so now that Cloud Gaming is a thing. And anyone purchasing a Series S is already budget conscious; they could just get a cheapo external SSD for storage instead of the official Seagate one if they ever need more. The performance tradeoff of not getting the Seagate expansion card likely doesn't matter to someone who purchased a Series S imo.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

teagone posted:

I guess. Use cases/gaming habits are obviously different, but I never went beyond ~200GB used on my 1TB One S and don't expect to exceed that on my Series S either. More so now that Cloud Gaming is a thing. And anyone purchasing a Series S is already budget conscious; they could just get a cheapo external SSD for storage instead of the official Seagate one if they ever need more. The performance tradeoff of not getting the Seagate expansion card likely doesn't matter to someone who purchased a Series S imo.

I tried cloud gaming and it was pretty bad in my opinion. Graphics quality was bad (also no HDR and such), loading times were bad (the initial load of cloud games take like 3 or 4 minutes), input delay / general lag was honestly better than I had expected but still hard to react to anything in injustice. I do not see cloud gaming as a viable way to play games. To try for 10 minutes as demo, perhaps, but in those 10 minutes I can just download the game instead.

A cheap external SSD will not run series versions of games either, so you would be stuck with the xbox one versions, so that is not great either (and third parties will at some point stop making xbox one versions I guess).

Not using more than 200GB is pretty rare these days I think, a single game is often 70~80GB already, add some multiplayer titles you like to keep around and 200GB is reached like that. Or just play call of duty and go over 200GB with 1 game.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 14, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every time I’ve tried cloud gaming I’ve found it to be a miserable experience. Maybe if you live in Google HQ and have a gigabit Ethernet connection it’s good, I guess, but I will never use it again unless forced.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've used it a few times for quick MS Rewards points and it's generally been fine. Image quality hasn't been great on my TV but the input lag was very decent. I don't have an amazing connection or anything.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Maybe it’s only because it was ps exclusive, but i’m really surprised Hitman VR didn’t get an insanely huge/popular online following.

Back when it was announced my only thought was “holy moley this has a ton of comedy potential. there’s gonna be hours of viral clips & Highlight Reel eps dedicated to it”.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The PSVR version was DS4 only which limits the kinds of wacky stuff you can do compared to when you have full control over your hands.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

When you consider the price of the official storage solution it makes it almost a no brainer to get the X

I have first world internet storage is meaningless.

If I had kids or no PC I'd get an s for game pass old games.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

My connections are by no means super great, but I've been rather impressed, all things considered, with Cloud gaming. Both on-console and mobile have worked near-flawlessly, with the only performance hit being a couple of instances where visual fidelity struggled momentarily in especially intensive games.
It's actually surprised me how well it works. For me. So far.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DaitoX posted:

I tried cloud gaming and it was pretty bad in my opinion. Graphics quality was bad (also no HDR and such), loading times were bad (the initial load of cloud games take like 3 or 4 minutes), input delay / general lag was honestly better than I had expected but still hard to react to anything in injustice. I do not see cloud gaming as a viable way to play games. To try for 10 minutes as demo, perhaps, but in those 10 minutes I can just download the game instead.

Anecdotal, but I have a 500/50 connection and Cloud Gaming has generally ranged from fine to great for me. Though again, my gaming habits/the games I play are certainly different than most others.

quote:

A cheap external SSD will not run series versions of games either, so you would be stuck with the xbox one versions, so that is not great either (and third parties will at some point stop making xbox one versions I guess).

Oh, I didn't know that. Still, a quick search came up with this reddit thread that shows not all X|S optimized games are restricted to the internal SSD or Seagate card: https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxSeries...utm_name=iossmf But I'm guessing that restricted list is only going to get bigger. In that case, simple option for the budget conscious gamer would be waiting on a good deal for the 512GB expansion card I guess.

[edit] Oh, I just read you can transfer optimized X|S games onto an external drive (but can't run them, obvs). It's an extra step, but you could just offload games you aren't actively playing onto an external SSD and transfer them back to the internal storage when you do play them. That's not too big of a deal imo, especially considering how fast the transfer speeds are likely to be, and for someone on a shoestring budget I don't think it's too much of a compromise. I'm unsure exactly how big the FFVII install is, but when I transferred over my One S save that I copied onto a $20 120GB SSD I threw into a $5 USB3 enclosure, it copied onto my Series S in like a few seconds.

quote:

Not using more than 200GB is pretty rare these days I think, a single game is often 70~80GB already, add some multiplayer titles you like to keep around and 200GB is reached like that. Or just play call of duty and go over 200GB with 1 game.

Yeah, I don't play too many triple AAA type games that take up assloads of space. And I rarely keep things installed that I'm not actively playing. Like, right now on my Series S I only have FFVII, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Titanfall 2, and a couple smaller titles from Game Pass taking up roughly ~100GB atm (262GB free of 364GB). [edit] Once I play through Titanfall 2's campaign and beat Shadow of the Tomb Raider, those are getting uninstalled.

teagone fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m not a graphics whore, but I didn’t spend all this money on an LG CX to play games at 1080p. Doesn’t make a lot of sense IMO to get an S if you have a 4k set.