Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

My connection is not particularly good but loading a game in the cloud takes nowhere close to three to four minutes.

I still much prefer offline, especially if I'm playing for more than a very short period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fly Ricky posted:

I’m not a graphics whore, but I didn’t spend all this money on an LG CX to play games at 1080p. Doesn’t make a lot of sense IMO to get an S if you have a 4k set.

Well that's a whole different thing. I don't think someone with a 40 or 50+ inch 120Hz VRR OLED TV would be considering a Series S, lmao. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but my Series S is hooked up to my 1080p 144Hz FreeSync monitor.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Sure, I believe it. But what about some years down the line? It's only 100 bucks more so if you can snag one, why not just go for the supreme version.

That's a huge if right now, and you can't really buy a competing product either without a lot of effort.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got an S for about a year and eventually an X too. I still use the S a bunch - it’s extremely portable, I take it to peoples houses and hook it up to a spare monitor or something to play coop gamepass games. I have played more halo on the S than the X because I’m just not interested in playing halo at home alone

I wouldn’t recommend buying both but I got one as a gift with a bunch of gamepass (first Xbox ever) and eventually thought you know what this is good enough it’s time for the real thing. It’s definitely an upgrade but honestly the S is just fine and with some games you barely notice

S is very bad at backwards compatible games XB1 randomly though which is unfortunate. Pretty much if a game doesn’t have fps boost don’t bother

It’s ridiculous how many good games you get for $300+ gamepass though. Like my issue is I just don’t have the time to play everything I’m interested in

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Barudak posted:

Help I ordered an Xbox supreme now all the vents are filled with sour cream

Weird seqway but do they have Taco Bell's in Japan?

Lammasu fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 14, 2022

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

My connection is not particularly good but loading a game in the cloud takes nowhere close to three to four minutes.

I still much prefer offline, especially if I'm playing for more than a very short period.

Yeah that was confusing to me too, but I just had a black screen with some kind of green space ship and some lines / flashes to make it seem like it was moving. That took 3 minutes. I just tried it again and it is significantly faster now (like 20 seconds), so seems like last time I tried they were either having issues or primetime load maybe slows it down? Either way loading up a game seems fine now.

But ye, still going to be a pass from me on cloud gaming, too many drawbacks.

There are some upsides I guess, if you like to game on your phone that probably works reasonable well with some games (like football manager), or if you have an xbox one and you can play flightsim because of xcloud. Those are nice benefits. But not relevant for me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
People in my area are reselling the X for $550 which tempts me because that's just $50 more than the official store price.

I didn't use Xboxes since the 360 because I could just play the important things on PC / PS4 but now I will never be able to get a decent GPU for under $1000 ever again (for the play on PC part), and Switzerland is Playstation land so getting a PS5 will be impossible for a while anyway. Also it's ugly and too big.

Also, re: the UI discussion a few pages ago, the X360 blade UI was the best :colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

get it, great console

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

teagone posted:

Well that's a whole different thing. I don't think someone with a 40 or 50+ inch 120Hz VRR OLED TV would be considering a Series S, lmao. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but my Series S is hooked up to my 1080p 144Hz FreeSync monitor.

Yeah, I missed that.

There are certainly viable use-case scenarios for the S. If my wife didn’t insist we recycle our older TV, I’d probably have one for the spare bedroom.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That’s not much over sales tax here.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

S is very bad at backwards compatible games XB1 randomly though which is unfortunate. Pretty much if a game doesn’t have fps boost don’t bother

Could you elaborate? Do they not run at all? Are you talking about Xbox 360 games?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Could you elaborate? Do they not run at all? Are you talking about Xbox 360 games?

Sorry let me clarify - 360 games generally run really well. They look better on the X (seriously it’s like magic - why does Ff13 look almost like a modern game) but the performance on an S is still good.

A lot of Xbox One games run very poorly on an S. Basically the backwards compatibility runs the One S version of the game (instead of the one x) which in some instances is a very, very unpleasant experience. Expect bad framerates, low resolutions, just not good looking at all.

Some games have “fps boost” applied to them which is basically Ms saying “we fixed this one” - on an S these look and run fantastic. They hit 60 or 120fps, run at 1080p or more, and feel great. Prey is a great example. at this point the game feels like a native Series S game.

With an X you generally don’t often have to do the dice roll of will this XBox one game run well or not as often. I’ve still found some that are not good though (dishonored 2 just runs poorly everywhere)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This is of course annoying because with gamepass a whole lot of games are older! So with an S you occasionally try a game out and are super disappointed. Seems less of an issue as we progress into the generation too.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Ok so a lot of the Xbox One games on the Series S just run like they would on a One S or One Original.

I’m thinking about eventually getting a Series Xbox (currently have a One S) and am waffling between the SX/SS. Honestly I probably shouldn’t get either since I mostly play old video games.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I think Prey is the thing I’m most looking forward to playing on this thing right now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Honestly I think Prey is the thing I’m most looking forward to playing on this thing right now

The reason I bought the console! It’s so much better now

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
If you've missed out on a generation or 1.5 gens then the Series S is amazing, fyi. I came from 360/PS3, trash gaming laptop, then a Switch and to play stuff on the S is amazing.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Omnikin posted:

If you've missed out on a generation or 1.5 gens then the Series S is amazing, fyi. I came from 360/PS3, trash gaming laptop, then a Switch and to play stuff on the S is amazing.

Concur, I last played my 360 in ... 2010? I honestly can't remember. Skipped xbone, was doing life / career stuff. Now with a stable job and a family I'm like good lord games are crazy these days.

Series S on a 4k oled crew. Looks fuckin fine.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Escobarbarian posted:

I just finished it last weekend. Great experience.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

my lame excuse for not wanting a Series S: I own like four physical games but I like them goddammit. And I'm not going to ever let Beautiful Katamari be unplayable again

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Physical games often are cheaper too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There’s a few 360 games you can only get physical as well

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Having a disc drive also means you can borrow games from your friends who buy discs. Which I do a lot. Sometimes I’ll get the disc version if a game just so I can loan it out when I’m done.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
discs can go to hell. let us transfer digital licenses

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

As the person with both an S and an X I don’t own a single Xbox game for any generation ever physically I completely forgot this thing had a disc drive

Actually can it play blu rays? Not that I have any. Does a streamed movie look better than a dvd

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Actually can it play blu rays? Not that I have any. Does a streamed movie look better than a dvd

Yes! Why I just watched my Blu-ray copy of Sound of Music on it three days ago

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The X1S tried to replicate the PS2's value proposition by being the cheapest Ultra HD BluRay player available for a while

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As the person with both an S and an X I don’t own a single Xbox game for any generation ever physically I completely forgot this thing had a disc drive

DVD is a 480p format so a streamed movie will look better.

The big advantage bluray has over streaming is compression and bitrate. Compare a stream of Speed Racer to a bluray copy and you'll see what I mean. Streaming gave a lot of people the wrong impression with that movie.

Even with 4K, last time I tried to watch Batman v Superman on HBO I noticed a ton of compression and then popped in the UHD and it looked a ton better. Even my friend watching with me noticed the difference.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Detective No. 27 posted:

DVD is a 480p format so a streamed movie will look better.

The big advantage bluray has over streaming is compression and bitrate. Compare a stream of Speed Racer to a bluray copy and you'll see what I mean. Streaming gave a lot of people the wrong impression with that movie.

Even with 4K, last time I tried to watch Batman v Superman on HBO I noticed a ton of compression and then popped in the UHD and it looked a ton better. Even my friend watching with me noticed the difference.

You have Batman Vs Superman on UHD?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Don't you?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Yeah even 4k streaming is likely subpar to even a standard Blu ray disc. Definitely any streaming would blow DVDs out of the water

There's also the audio quality of you have a nicer setup. That's where a lot of streaming cuts corners too.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

If I did I certainly wouldn't let my friends know.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lammasu posted:

If I did I certainly wouldn't let my friends know.

You have friends?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Detective No. 27 posted:

You have friends?

Well my best friend is now my ex best friend because he got all Qanon but the look on his face when I explained the "Martha" thing to him was priceless.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's cool. None of my friends are qanon people and we regularly watch good movies together, such as Batman v Superman.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Do you got the newer UHD with the IMAX scenes? they look so good

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

elf help book posted:

Do you got the newer UHD with the IMAX scenes? they look so good

I've been meaning to pick that one up. I have some credit at a record store so I might have them order me a copy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Weird seqway but do they have Taco Bell's in Japan?

They do, Shibuya built a ridiculously cool shopping mall/beer garden/skate park future plaza that opened right as covid hit that has one inside.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My brother buys UHD discs on sale because he figures it's the last physical media studios are ever going to release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

My brother buys UHD discs on sale because he figures it's the last physical media studios are ever going to release.

The UHD version of Bladerunner is amazing. First time I saw it was liking watching a different movie. You can actually see what's happening in the fight in the old house, for example. And apparently parts of it were shot on 70mm, so the transfer is incredibly detailed. It doesn't look like a a 40 year old movie.