Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think of Australia a US oversea territory. Like really what's the difference between Australia and Texas if Texas is not in continental US?

Also the anglo countries all accept each other's dual citizenship. I guess the main difference is the Australians doesn't have a say in US election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
my local news mentioned the CCP was allegedly bribing some random UK MP which is stupid even when taken at face value

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/alisoncroggon/status/1481961025478209540

all right can the US gin up a war in a third concurrent hotspot

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
oh yeah lets gently caress with the Serbs what could go wrong

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

They need tito now more than ever.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Nice to see that odd numbered world wars always start in the balkans

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think of Australia a US oversea territory. Like really what's the difference between Australia and Texas if Texas is not in continental US?

Also the anglo countries all accept each other's dual citizenship. I guess the main difference is the Australians doesn't have a say in US election.

Texas has more influence. By a massive amount. Think more Guam.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
just lol if our bullshit with a tennis player starts some horrible war or something

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Palladium posted:

my local news mentioned the CCP was allegedly bribing some random UK MP which is stupid even when taken at face value

I heard Priti Patel (the cartoonishly evil home secretary) talking about it on the radio last night. She said something like 'of course this isn't surprising, Britain is a powerful player on the world stage and a staunch defender of democratic freedoms worldwide, so it makes sense China would target us like this. We've got MI5 looking for other spies as we speak'. funniest thing I heard all day lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

A Spherical Sponge posted:

I heard Priti Patel (the cartoonishly evil home secretary) talking about it on the radio last night. She said something like 'of course this isn't surprising, Britain is a powerful player on the world stage and a staunch defender of democratic freedoms worldwide, so it makes sense China would target us like this. We've got MI5 looking for other spies as we speak'. funniest thing I heard all day lol

The Brits copy and paste this from the Aussies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gresh posted:

And all this because the US reeeally wants Ukraine in NATO. Its really mind blowing to me how absolutely nobody of prominence in the US talks about how insanely greedy(and dangerous)it is absorbing a country with a 900 mile border with Russia actually is...this isn't loving Estonia we're talking about here. Like really, just look at the map, I honestly think the Russians will invade before they ever allow most of their western border to be shared with NATO. Ukraine is 1000 times more important to them than it is to us or the rest of Europe. Besides the obvious empire ambitions, erasing a buffer zone between NATO and Russia is just loving stupid and needless.

It's kinda funny to think how badly the US would react to Mexico letting China put bases in the country (never mind the while Cuban Missile Crisis thing)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia is a rogue state. They aren’t entitled to good faith.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

what china is doing with clamping down on speculative buying is extremely good bloomberg hth

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nonsense posted:

Russia is a rogue state. They aren’t entitled to good faith.

Rolling a wizard or cleric state is much more op

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

what china is doing with clamping down on speculative buying is extremely good bloomberg hth
the line about state-owned companies "breaking the economy's addiction to property"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

R. Guyovich posted:

hahahhahaha every prediction i made five years ago is coming true
Future Vision™

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Agrajag posted:

Excuse me, but have you considered all the money property speculators and landlords stand to lose from this? Think b4 you speak

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1482000216471572482

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Well if a US official said it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Red and Black posted:

Well if a US official said it

i have information that will to lead to the arrest of

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/oahuWP/status/1479612946263121921

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Am I reading this wrong or are they saying that Russia hacked some Ukrainian websites just to put up a message telling them to "be afraid?"

What kind of comic book villain poo poo lmao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DiscountDildos posted:

Am I reading this wrong or are they saying that Russia hacked some Ukrainian websites just to put up a message telling them to "be afraid?"

good sir, i see you are new to the workings of politifact

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DiscountDildos posted:

The text that was put up has a bit more info:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1481866343104360450

Quick and dirty translation is along the lines of "Ukrainians! All your private data has been uploaded to a public site. All the information on your computer is being destroyed and cannot be restored. All information about you has become public, be afraid and expect worse. This is for you for because of your past, present, and future. For Volhynia, for the OUN UPA, for Galicia, for Poles'e, and for historic land."

so it's at least claiming to have stolen private info, not just to hack the frontpage and put up a supervillain message

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

he needs a bigger hat

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

How to say you're part of NATO without saying you're part of NATO

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sweden-boosts-patrols-gotland-amid-nato-russia-tensions-2022-01-13/

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

war starts next week

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

frajaq posted:

war starts next week

thats what they said 2 weeks ago

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

vyelkin posted:

The text that was put up has a bit more info:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1481866343104360450

Quick and dirty translation is along the lines of "Ukrainians! All your private data has been uploaded to a public site. All the information on your computer is being destroyed and cannot be restored. All information about you has become public, be afraid and expect worse. This is for you for because of your past, present, and future. For Volhynia, for the OUN UPA, for Galicia, for Poles'e, and for historic land."

so it's at least claiming to have stolen private info, not just to hack the frontpage and put up a supervillain message

Ah ok that makes more sense

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/zlj517/status/1482014263262969858?s=20

I love this poo poo lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/cuba7324/status/1468628178813992970?s=20

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Palladium posted:

thats what they said 2 weeks ago

its for realzies this time trust me

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

the chinese twitterati never miss

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Still don't see what Russia would gain from a war right now. Isn't Eastern Ukraine already controlled by separatists sympathetic to Russia?

That said, if NATO is stupid enough to grant Ukraine membership then that's a completely different situation

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I was thinking about it the other day and this thread made me go from hating china to thinking they're actually good even if I disagree with some of the stuff they do

Red and Black posted:

Still don't see what Russia would gain from a war right now. Isn't Eastern Ukraine already controlled by separatists sympathetic to Russia?

That said, if NATO is stupid enough to grant Ukraine membership then that's a completely different situation

The breakaway state is there as insurance basically, but this is also assuming that NATO is going to continue existing in the next five years as the US collapses

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Most Lithuanians critical of Vilnius’ China policy – survey

quote:

Nearly two thirds of the public do not support Lithuania's current policy on China, a survey commissioned by the Foreign Ministry shows. However, the foreign minister insists the government's China policy is what it has always been.

Relations between Vilnius and Beijing soured last year after Lithuania opened a Taiwanese representative office. China has been arguing that the name “Taiwanese”, rather than “Taipei's”, violates the One China policy. Beijing has also subjected Lithuania to undeclared trade sanctions.

The survey, conducted on December 10-18, asked respondents, among other questions, how they viewed Lithuania's policy on China. Only 13 percent said they supported it, while 60 percent had a negative opinion.

Real own goal Lithuania.

Turkey, Armenia talk normalising ties after decades of animosity

Armenian and Turkish envoys met in Moscow today to discuss a process for normalizing relations. We see how that goes. The last attempt in 2009 failed.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Red and Black posted:

Separatists only control portions of two oblasts, Ukraine as a whole still has a huge border with Russia. Also, the issue isn’t even NATO one it’s own, it is Ukraine signing at agreement with NATO to allow their forces and assets in the country (to a sizable degree). It is why NATO missile/anti-missile systems are such an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

I was thinking about it the other day and this thread made me go from hating china to thinking they're actually good even if I disagree with some of the stuff they do

more and more people are saying!