Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tele-teaching from Rogers featuring teachers who will work for $5 an hour while Rogers takes $15 and teaches the children about all of the benefits of 5G and civil obedience.

In-class attendance still required, the teacher will just be on a screen at the front of the class.

It worked for Telus Babylon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Public Parent Partnerships

If this isn't a phrase already, it will be

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm proud to introduce Bell Let's Teach

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Every time you use the hashtag in a social media post Bell will donate 20¢ to a Bell partner charter school

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

eXXon posted:

I'm proud to introduce Bell Let's Teach

holy poo poo I'm turning that into a Facebook border

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Ontario teachers are in a contract situation right now, any collective action is an illegal strike. That means fines for the individual teacher and the union per day.

I started mashing out an effortpost about the last round of negotiations but I'll spare you the wall of text. Short version is that we went on strike over some of the very same issues that are problems right now (class size and online learning) and based on how that went there's no way I'm taking on an illegal walkout while counting on public support for it. Because it won't be there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It feels like it would be way too easy for Ford to refocus anger at the provincial government for mismanaging this mess into anger at teachers in a wildcat strike situation. I don't think OSSTF would come out ahead there.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 14, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

If they want you back they have to waive the fines. It's really just that easy and happens all the time in labour actions.

e: and likewise, unions are there to represent their membership. Keeping the public happy is the politicians job. In case you haven't noticed, all the reactionaries hate teachers and their unions already.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 14, 2022

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I don’t know why we bother restricting anything if we’re just going to let the kids all get together and bring it home with them. Might as well just go back to normal stop tormenting ourselves if we’ve resigned ourselves to it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

ZShakespeare posted:

I don’t know why we bother restricting anything if we’re just going to let the kids all get together and bring it home with them. Might as well just go back to normal stop tormenting ourselves if we’ve resigned ourselves to it.

Whole hog "no restrictions" doesn't poll well, so we'll implement some bare-minimums that are generally accepted and then just undermine them entirely so the spread runs unchecked anyways. - Every political party

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Let the Public Parent Partnerships begin.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-parents-in-classrooms-1.6313708

quote:

It suggests schools be ready to quickly replace teachers by keeping a list of people to call in as reinforcements, which could include "parent volunteers."

Education Minister Jean-François Roberge said on Thursday that parents will not be expected to be substitute teachers. They would be asked, as a last resort, to keep an eye on classrooms, he said.

So literally act as babysitters.

quote:

"It's really important that our young people be able to see their friends, their teachers," Legault said. "I can't say it enough: the priority in Quebec must be education."

Except when there's no one to teach, then the priority is The Economy PBUH.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I am actually kind of mad Quebec just stole Ontario's thunder on actually doing that. Let that putrid blob Ford make the bad headlines for once dammit. We have an election coming up. :mad:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I think you may be disappointed by the number of people who think it's a bad thing

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/natnewswatch/status/1481786587595825155

:laffo:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Why not let the market decide, Steve?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Maybe we should keep closing schools? https://twitter.com/tylerblack32/status/1481734047453831174

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wait, is it because they got more effective or were detected later and so didn't wind up in the ER?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Wait, is it because they got more effective or were detected later and so didn't wind up in the ER?
They didn't find a significant change in all cause mortality, but they specifically didn't have data on suicides. Or on self-harm or whatever that didn't end up in hospital.

It's also specific to 14-24 year olds, and "In addition, the lower HR for the primary outcome was more pronounced among adolescents and young adults aged 18 to 24 years (0.74; 95% CI, 0.71-0.77) than those aged 14 to 17 years (0.84; 95% CI, 0.80-0.88)" - so in terms of how it relates to school it's relatively limited but still significant. Neat study.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I was suggesting that it's phrased in a certain way to imply something that may not actually be reflected in what was studied.

We've got "Science by press release" and science by Twitter

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Ah. Well the article itself is pretty clear and the tweet isn't misrepresenting it too badly. I'd probably avoid "youth" as the default descriptor for ages 14-24, and the big "1.6 MILLION YOUTH" is pretty silly, that's just the number of people in that age range. But broadly, yeah, score 1 for the pandemic, keep those youths safe.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

To possibly clarify, I was aiming for "maybe keeping kids out of school buildings during a pandemic isn't as bad for their health as is frequently claimed". Nothing specifically about kids getting covid.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I get it, I wasn't talking about them getting COVID either, I was saying that the way the tweet calling out "Science by press release" is worded suggests only that fewer kids ended up in the ER specifically, for self harm. There's more than one reason why that might be the case and not all of them are positive.

This entire thread is people tossing graphs and charts and pre-pub studies and anecdotes out like they mean anything

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 14, 2022

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I get it, I wasn't talking about them getting COVID either, I was saying that the way the tweet calling out "Science by press release" is worded suggests only that fewer kids ended up in the ER specifically, for self harm. There's more than one reason why that might be the case and not all of them are positive.

This entire thread is people tossing graphs and charts and pre-pub studies and anecdotes out like they mean anything

Oh I see what you mean. Agreed we don't know why, and agreed the tweet is kinda dumb but it seemed fair to link where I saw it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
hinshaw in today's presser said they recommended surgical masks, and that the best mask is one that covers your nose, mouth, and chin with no gaps.

so not a surgical mask.

believe science, ya'll, except when the science is absolutely incoherent and inconsistent from sentence to sentence

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Oh I see what you mean. Agreed we don't know why, and agreed the tweet is kinda dumb but it seemed fair to link where I saw it.

I'm not calling you out or anything, this is just me voicing my general frustration.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm not calling you out or anything, this is just me voicing my general frustration.

All good :) I just didn't even think about other reasons the study might find its results, including "maybe people know hospitals are bursting at the seams and decide to stay away".

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah I was thinking of this lately too. Anecdotal Science is what I was calling it. Kinda like those news articles that say blueberries or whatever are a super food and fight cancer based on exciting new study! People love to share this stuff and think it the height of scientific understanding.

Take this sort of anecdotal science, mix it with common sense, and apply it to life-changing events and boom, our current discussion meta.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Yeah, potentially good news? But I'm not convinced that there's a strong correlation between "presenting less at ER for mental health" and actual "less mental health issues" without somehow controlling for changes in healthcare behaviour due to pandemic. Maybe the study does actually do that though?

I will remain optimistic though.

EDIT: Actually, I recommend reading through the whole thread. He references a lot more studies and I believe it presents fairly strong evidence that there is a widespread actual drop in mental health problems and that it's not just being hidden by pandemic factors.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 14, 2022

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Pt6a was right

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

The conclusion you can draw from this is however we have schools setup right now is literally driving mental health issues and suicide in kids

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

The conclusion you can draw from this is however we have schools setup right now is literally driving mental health issues and suicide in kids

sleep, helluva drug

https://twitter.com/EatSleepWkRpt/status/1399657146267095042

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Makes sense, I remember shortly before the pandemic that Manitoba was considering moving the start time for high schools an hour later to give kids an extra hour of sleep and the uproar was ridiculous and the school boards backed off.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
sleep is fuckin good you all, get you some

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

Would that be surprising? Our educational system is just another one of our systems that covid has highlighted as being badly broken. When the pandemic ends, we can either use it as a learning experience for change or desperately try to return things to the broken "normal". I'm confident of which direction we will choose on the whole, but the opportunities for change will be there.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

It's interesting reading the US covid stuff where everyone is railing against the federal government and then Canada, where everyone blames their provincial government instead.

Espically since I think Canada has a stronger federal government in terms of what they can and can't do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DariusLikewise posted:

Yeah, I think you can argue that remote learning is perhaps not ideal in general, but the data bears out that it's not some kind of existential threat to our next generation, and the fact that mental health outcomes appear to get worse as the pandemic itself gets worse and/or as restrictions are removed, makes me think that realistically: the mental health issue, for children and adults alike, is the pandemic itself. We appear to be quite adaptable in terms of the things we do to keep ourselves safe, and definitely not so adaptable to living in an environment that we perceive as a threat for years at a time. Makes sense, really.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm curious how those health studies look for the next 12 months since most seemed focused on 2020. Humans are pretty capable of adapting to poo poo they think is temporary (finding the silver lining of the first year by being able to sleep more, etc.) but this poo poo has ANOTHER 12 months after those studies (and ANOTHER...)

The long term studies once we manage to merely endemicize covid are gonna be fascinating/horrific

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Alctel posted:

It's interesting reading the US covid stuff where everyone is railing against the federal government and then Canada, where everyone blames their provincial government instead.

State governments are mostly doing what their voters want (something in blue states, nothing in red). Provincial governments are mostly conservative but many only had plurality support to begin with, and there just aren't as many reactionaries/anti-mask/anti-vaxxers Canadians.

It is kind of impressive how the US feds have managed to triangulate pissing off almost everybody while Trudeau has largely threaded the needle on doing just enough to avoid angering a majority of voters, but at some point everybody's just going to be sick of this poo poo probably no matter what.

Also it is about time for Ontario to flip to Liberal provincial/Conservative federal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well, I think blanket pronouncements are not really valid or helpful. We can see on the population level that remote school apparently is not so bad for mental health (that's not to say it's enjoyable or good, just that it doesn't appear to be causing actual mental health problems), but I think as this goes longer and longer, we have to account for individual experience. Some kids are doing better remote, others are doing worse, some would like to be in person in a perfect world but don't feel safe, there's a lot of stuff going on.

The longer this goes on, the more flexibility we should be building into the systems -- for kids, and adults as well. I think the only outright error we can make is forcing things one way or the other.

EDIT: And, naturally, if you're combining classes and having parent-volunteers oversee classes and crap, we can just take the idea that it's about the best quality of education and throw it right in the bin. If that's considered an acceptable option, I don't ever want to hear the quality of education used to justify this crap ever again.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

eXXon posted:

It is kind of impressive how the US feds have managed to triangulate pissing off almost everybody while Trudeau has largely threaded the needle on doing just enough to avoid angering a majority of voters, but at some point everybody's just going to be sick of this poo poo probably no matter what.

Also it is about time for Ontario to flip to Liberal provincial/Conservative federal.
Doug Ford like the US feds has done a fantastic job at pissing off every voting bloc in the province, but given how weak the field is there's plenty of reason to be concerned he'll just waltz back into power after the election.