Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

gently caress, I think I’m gonna become one of those guys that buys into every battery system and then fastidiously scours Consumer Reports/etc for the best performer/best deal and gets that :(

no don't be that.. you'll hate yourself. First you'll need batteries for all your poo poo. second you'll need to have a whole charger bank on your workbench.
I have 2 good ryobi chargers (and several of the small trash one's in a bag somewhere) and a slate of differently sized batteries sitting on a different shelf that get rotated through the chargers on a periodic basis. I couldn't imagine having 3-4 pairs of different chargers and having to manage multiple sets of different batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tater_salad posted:

no don't be that.. you'll hate yourself. First you'll need batteries for all your poo poo. second you'll need to have a whole charger bank on your workbench.
I have 2 good ryobi chargers (and several of the small trash one's in a bag somewhere) and a slate of differently sized batteries sitting on a different shelf that get rotated through the chargers on a periodic basis. I couldn't imagine having 3-4 pairs of different chargers and having to manage multiple sets of different batteries.

fair point. that’s kinda how it was in the before-times, in the early days of mixed benches of cordless/corded tools, before companies started standardizing their batteries and whatnot.

I remember my dad having a bunch of bespoke chargers back in the 90s—a charger for the drill battery, a charger for the recip saw, a charger for the flashlight, etc

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Team neon green or bust!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I bought into Ryobi for general house stuff and I'm happy with it. I've been getting into more fine woodworking stuff, and so I've been buying some upgrades (trim router, better ROS, cordless circ saw) and going with Makita for that.

I'll probably continue buying Makita for things where I want better quality, and Ryobi for things where I just want a tool that does the thing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's adapters for some of the tool brands and batteries so you could be brand agnostic to a degree. Unfortunately, Ryobi batteries are a bit wonky compared to the brick form factor of most of the other brands due to the stick-uppy part. If you have a 3d printer making your own adapters (as well as wall mounts) is pretty easy.

There's a three pack of Ryobi hobby tools for $99 at home depot right now. Hot glue gun, rotary tool (dremel), and a soldering iron plus a little battery and charger.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...05K1N/317325256

I haven't used any of these but I do like their larger battery operated hot glue gun. This one seems to heat on a base and then you pick it up off the base to use it and put it back.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If you don't buy into Makita no one will ever respect you. Especially me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have no idea what the actual use case is for a cordless soldering station.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

FISHMANPET posted:

Soldering on the space shuttle, maaaaaan

:2bong:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Oh snap that sounds perfect, didn't know it existed. Thanks!

Yeah will have to train the dog to them. I trained our last one to the corded dremel but its annoying to use so want to replace it.

The cordless Dremel marketed for pets is actually preferable to a corded or more powerful standard Dremel because it will stall out a lot quicker. This is a feature, not a bug, as it's a lot safer if you get the tool head stuck in their hair, it doesn't have the power to hurt them.

I caught my dog's tail a few months back and it was a bit scary, but the tool stalled out so I could turn it off and untangle my pup's tail from the Dremel.

Not as big an issue if you have a short haired dog, but it is a consideration.

FISHMANPET posted:

It's handy for working in cars, or on the boat, or other places where power is inconvenient.

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 14, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rexxed posted:

There's adapters for some of the tool brands and batteries so you could be brand agnostic to a degree. Unfortunately, Ryobi batteries are a bit wonky compared to the brick form factor of most of the other brands due to the stick-uppy part. If you have a 3d printer making your own adapters (as well as wall mounts) is pretty easy.

There's a three pack of Ryobi hobby tools for $99 at home depot right now. Hot glue gun, rotary tool (dremel), and a soldering iron plus a little battery and charger.

I haven't used any of these but I do like their larger battery operated hot glue gun. This one seems to heat on a base and then you pick it up off the base to use it and put it back.

that rotary tool seems a lot nicer than the Ryobi rotary tool that I was looking at the other day (part of what prompted my question was that I’m sort of in the market for a rotary tool, but I think I might go for a corded Dremel this time around), which was little more than the whip+base with a solitary, kinda flimsy speed knob on it.

Looks a lot like the Ryobi cordless soldering station, which apparently is comically lovely and somewhat unsafe for frequent use but also arguably the best tool in its class if you, say, live on a farm and need to drag a soldering iron out into a field for whatever reason (to do electrical work on a dead tractor was the example that I saw from one buyer)

Edit: haha holy poo poo I didn’t even see that ppl were talking about the soldering station. There’s a larger, “fancier” one that I was thinking about. Apparently it’s not much fancier.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 14, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

You've never done mobile or marine electronics, I see. I only use my Milwaukee cordless soldering iron a few times a year, but it's totally worth it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sharkytm posted:

You've never done mobile or marine electronics, I see. I only use my Milwaukee cordless soldering iron a few times a year, but it's totally worth it

Yeah the other example I saw a lot of was boats, and driveway automotive repair/salvage (getting a barn car running, etc).

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Ok Comboomer posted:

gently caress, I think I’m gonna become one of those guys that buys into every battery system and then fastidiously scours Consumer Reports/etc for the best performer/best deal and gets that :(

Thats what I wanted to avoid, at my old job they were so cheap and cycled through mfg engineers so much you had a wall of chargers for 10 different battery types for every color and voltage. There were a lot of broken cheap drills there, they wasted so much money trying to save money.

I'm trying to buy something I wont have to replace for at least 10 years, I got less than 5 out of my brushless Rigid.

sharkytm posted:

Any field work really, when you're up in a lift trying to splice something together its pretty nice to not have to drag an extension cord around or throw a generator in the basket with you. I have air and power within 150' of my garage but is something is going to break its usually outside of that range.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 14, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I have the rotary tool and it's nice.. I had to grind down a bit of metal on the plate for my deadbolt and it worked well enough. I haven't used the other stuff like cutoff wheels (aka shattermcgees) but it did a good enough job it was nice not having to be tied to a cord / have the thin cord.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 14, 2022

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

If you don't buy into Makita no one will ever respect you. Especially me.

Makita 18v/Bosch 12v for the win. :chord:

(I have a HPT finish nailer I use with a printed adapter for my Makita batteries, seems to work well)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I mean, none of my stationary shop tools are Makita but everything with a battery sure as hell is. Still the only company who I haven't broken a tool from so....

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know one guy who worked for years using Ryobi for doing internet installs because it was cheaper. He says that in like a decade of use he burned out one hammer drill and that was the only time a Ryobi anything failed on him (what was more common was losing tools or having them stolen).

I'm Ryobi because of availability, but if there were a better supplier near me, and if I had found a package deal first, I'd probably be makita because supporting good labour practices is good.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Ok Comboomer posted:

I only have one flexvolt battery and my chainsaw only takes flexvolt. Even though I can use the 60v battery on the other tools it's been a pain in the rear end having to stop using my chainsaw because I ran out of juice. Yes, I am going to buy another 60v tool kit with batteries. I can't even imagine the frustration of dealing with that same problem 10 times over all the time.

"Ok I need to make about 10 more cuts but all my Ryobi batteries are charging, I have 3 charged Makita batteries but I don't have a Makita recip saw, I have an adapter to use milwaukee batteries in Ryobi tools but Bob is using that with the circ saw etc etc"

"I'm up on a ladder with a drill and a driver and the drill just died, but the driver uses different batteries now I gotta climb down"

There's a reason the thread consensus is "red, yellow, teal, neon green if you're a light user, pick one".

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Buy into whatever you want except Ryobi. You buy an adapter for whatever else then use the Ryobi tools with that. Can't do it the other way around and the Ryobi batteries are not particularly cheap.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

deimos posted:

Buy into whatever you want except Ryobi. You buy an adapter for whatever else then use the Ryobi tools with that. Can't do it the other way around and the Ryobi batteries are not particularly cheap.
What?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

You buy a set of whatever 18v system you want, and if you need a specific tool that ryobi has and will fulfill your needs, you use your 18V batteries with it. Ryobi batteries don't adapt to other systems well because of the stem.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

deimos posted:

You buy a set of whatever 18v system you want, and if you need a specific tool that ryobi has and will fulfill your needs, you use your 18V batteries with it. Ryobi batteries don't adapt to other systems well because of the stem.

I mean, it’s not particularly uncommon to buy into two systems because of that.

And by “buy into two systems” what I really mean is “99 percent of the tools are X-brand and the remaining 1 percent that are Y-brand came with a battery + charger bundled in the package.”

If you buy them on Black Friday/etc it’s not uncommon to get free batteries. Not any more expensive than using an adaptor and arguably less janky.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

deimos posted:

Ah, got it. Though it feels like anyone asking "what tools should I buy" will be just fine in the Ryobi ecosystem. Converters and whatnot seem like borrowing a pain in the rear end.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

stealie72 posted:

. Though it feels like anyone asking "what tools should I buy" will be just fine in the Ryobi ecosystem.

This is a good point here. If you're new in to a trade, you'll probably be asking the people you work with. If you just bought your first home and it needs renovations, then you might ask here and if you're *mostly* going to be using it for home owner type stuff as this thread has said time and time again, Ryobi is more than adequate.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
But gently caress Ryobi's table saw, chop saw, AND 12" planer. gently caress them to hell.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I'll tell you though, looking at Project Farm on youtube: no-name Amazon, Wish, knockoff tools are garbage. In descending order of quality it's:

[Milwaukee/DeWalt/Makita]
Ryobi
Harbor Freight
Trash
Random no-name bullshit

For anyone wondering if you're just paying more for the branding: No. If the brand-name tool costs 40$ more, it's a 40$ better tool. The big brands want to deliver cheap products too. They're not driving up the cost for no reason.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I mean, none of my stationary shop tools are Makita but everything with a battery sure as hell is. Still the only company who I haven't broken a tool from so....

I still use 2 of the herd of corded Makita tools I have remaining. Don't know why I fell off the wagon when their 9.6v drill was kicking the rear end of every other cordless out there. That was before an internet, so just dumb luck that.

deimos posted:

I'm currently running some 6a chinesium knockoffs that for 50 the pair, I'm not gonna lose sleep. They've got the rated power, even if they don't last 3-4 years but I do, it's a win.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

But gently caress Ryobi's table saw, chop saw, AND 12" planer. gently caress them to hell.

OH yeah, I'm a huge ryobi-stan but never buy anything from them that has a cord. Utter garbage. I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff is made by two completely independent companies.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My Ryobi corded random orbit sander is perfectly fine

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

CommonShore posted:

My Ryobi corded random orbit sander is perfectly fine

That's funny because my Makita corded random orbit sander :siren::pcgaming:KICKS loving rear end:pcgaming::siren:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That's funny because my Makita corded random orbit sander :siren::pcgaming:KICKS loving rear end:pcgaming::siren:

So does mine, which I got a few years ago solely to sand some indoor flooring (has dust removal, my antique porter-cable does not) and it did fine. A guy a few weeks back was talking how his felt underpowered and looking at a bosch or summat, I don't recall. :confuoot:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My Ryobi corded miter saw works perfectly :cheersdoge:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Who has the best price point corded sliding miter with 10 or 12" blade? Ryobi seems to be cheapest by a long shot (in name brand) right now so I'm conflicted on what to do

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a makita one too but I need to get replacement parts for it and :effort: it has been sitting on the shelf for like a year

e. actually I'm going to grab the loving thing and see if I can find the part right now

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 15, 2022

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I must say the Milwaukee stuff is ultra sexy and I want it. But it's also ultra expensive so I'm holding off till the Ryobi / Bosch stuff breaks. So far the Ryobi stuff has worked well, but I can certainly imagine that getting Milwaukee stuff will be a big step up.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

DoubleT2172 posted:

Who has the best price point corded sliding miter with 10 or 12" blade? Ryobi seems to be cheapest by a long shot (in name brand) right now so I'm conflicted on what to do

I want to say Hitachi (Metabo HPT now) was pretty good price/performance ratio.

It also depends on what you want to do with it. For woodworking you want to avoid cheaper sliders altogether and get a DeWalt miter (DW716 I think, the 12" model).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

I must say the Milwaukee stuff is ultra sexy and I want it. But it's also ultra expensive so I'm holding off till the Ryobi / Bosch stuff breaks. So far the Ryobi stuff has worked well, but I can certainly imagine that getting Milwaukee stuff will be a big step up.

I bought into the Milwaukee 12v line because it’s lighter and slightly cheaper. Hasn’t let me down yet and even through it’s 12v their Fuel line is seriously powerful.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I am seriously considering getting that m12 fuel kit so I have the excuse to get the ratchet, I might not even need the ratchet with the little impact in the kit.

I have a Rigid sliding compound miter I've been happy with for framing work and makes near perfect cuts on PVC pipe, I would want to get something better if I ever get around to more furniture making. My dad has been really happy with his Bosch and other than the smaller blade seems like a better saw than mine. The Rigid miter saw stand/cart is awesome and a must have, its kinda big when its folded up but makes the saw so much nicer to use.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

deimos posted:

I want to say Hitachi (Metabo HPT now) was pretty good price/performance ratio.

It also depends on what you want to do with it. For woodworking you want to avoid cheaper sliders altogether and get a DeWalt miter (DW716 I think, the 12" model).

yeah bigskytool.com has great deals on refurbished metabo miter saws. Probably best bang for buck. 10" slider should be fine unless you cut 4x4+ beams regularly

SpeedFreek posted:

I am seriously considering getting that m12 fuel kit so I have the excuse to get the ratchet, I might not even need the ratchet with the little impact in the kit.

if you can swing it, get the Surge M12 driver. It is very nice to have a smooth & quiet impact tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

For reference my fine woodworking teacher (he does high end furniture/sculpture and antique restoration consulting for museums and teaches on the weekends) uses exclusively the non sliding dewalt, that's why I mentioned it.