Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

It's a triple

So how come there are so few videos about this whole end of everything business? Obviously this is the end of the funnel, but the redditors who are on that one? There's YouTube videos about unboxing lube and ill gotten hair plugs? But like a handful on putting together the endless torrent of happenings into a narrative? Maybe at least a loving Frontline or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Basic Poster posted:

It's a triple

So how come there are so few videos about this whole end of everything business? Obviously this is the end of the funnel, but the redditors who are on that one? There's YouTube videos about unboxing lube and ill gotten hair plugs? But like a handful on putting together the endless torrent of happenings into a narrative? Maybe at least a loving Frontline or something?

I mean this was 12 loving days ago.

Lmao

https://youtu.be/Mb6CxoH-ZB8

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Basic Poster posted:

I mean this was 12 loving days ago.

Lmao

https://youtu.be/Mb6CxoH-ZB8

3 minutes 11 seconds of silent black screen i dont get it

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The Demilich posted:

Oh baby.
Gimme a sixer with this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

karmaconfetti
Dec 22, 2009

Wie vuur eet, schijt vonken.

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

On average, goons think civilization will collapse* around 2053 (as early as 2033, no later than 2159).

ok so what would be the first things to really go in order to hit those years? especially in these next 11 years? pls share your disaster ranking lists thx

also:

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Well while everyone is waiting for their probes to finish I guess they can enjoy the survey results

On average, goons think civilization will collapse* around 2053 (as early as 2033, no later than 2159). I had to prune some of the numbers that ran into billions of years because they'd gently caress with these averages. In the end there was only a handful of values above the year 3000, and the next highest was 2300. So I pruned everything above 2300.

*the survey presented this as "what year do you think you, personally, will struggle to feed your family or have to defend yourself from others who are struggling to feed their family" - a controversial definition but I wanted to keep people on the same page

A more useful metric might be the median, as it reduces the influence of outliers. Half of goons think civilization will collapse around or before 2040.

But because people tend to pick nice round numbers (as seen above), the median isn't always that great for showing differences between subsets, so given the very few 'outliers' that were pruned, I'll stick to averages anyway.

Does engagement with the thread predict doomerism? Probably! Goons that read the thread obsessively are far* more doomer:

*i'm not gonna say significantly more doomer because i frankly can't be bothered to analyse the actual statistical significance**)

**and even if I did, there is VERY MUCH a sampling bias here because the latter two groups will be under-represented in the survey

Younger goons are far more hopeful (i.e. "dear civilization, please live longer than me :(")

Goons' attitudes to children don't seem to make a whole lot of difference to doomerism, which surprised me, but it might be because there's too much noise-to-signal in the data (which might also explain that weird anomaly there in the third category)

clarification: "hopes for" is shorthand for wanting, expecting, or hoping for children at some future point

I might do some more analysis tomorrow on location and media consumption but that will be more of a ballache so I'll just finish with this:

gently caress i totally missed all of this but that's awesome. you should do this again in a few year because it could be pretty interesting

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

vyelkin posted:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

vyelkin posted:

Here for the Jupiter-style permanent cyclone.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i'm gonna be really scared when the power goes out forever and everything crumbles

like my heart's gonna beat really fast and i'll probably cry a lot

until then it's really funny though

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Vyelkin destroying the lepers colony

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Basic Poster posted:

I'm not a lurker, I just don't have a lot to add and also am not very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYGWF6qrts

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blatman posted:

give me the muppet man

also i commend your bravery for not putting a time limit on your post, rip your probing button

i am going to win the most probations contest

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

vyelkin posted:

feeling extra doomed this morning

kirk image please

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
guys this isn't a joke

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

guys this isn't a joke

lol

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

vyelkin posted:

Cool

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Basic Poster posted:

same, oh well

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:razz:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Basic Poster posted:

doesn't stop anyone else from poasting!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Well while everyone is waiting for their probes to finish I guess they can enjoy the survey results

On average, goons think civilization will collapse* around 2053 (as early as 2033, no later than 2159). I had to prune some of the numbers that ran into billions of years because they'd gently caress with these averages. In the end there was only a handful of values above the year 3000, and the next highest was 2300. So I pruned everything above 2300.

*the survey presented this as "what year do you think you, personally, will struggle to feed your family or have to defend yourself from others who are struggling to feed their family" - a controversial definition but I wanted to keep people on the same page

A more useful metric might be the median, as it reduces the influence of outliers. Half of goons think civilization will collapse around or before 2040.

But because people tend to pick nice round numbers (as seen above), the median isn't always that great for showing differences between subsets, so given the very few 'outliers' that were pruned, I'll stick to averages anyway.

Does engagement with the thread predict doomerism? Probably! Goons that read the thread obsessively are far* more doomer:

*i'm not gonna say significantly more doomer because i frankly can't be bothered to analyse the actual statistical significance**)

**and even if I did, there is VERY MUCH a sampling bias here because the latter two groups will be under-represented in the survey

Younger goons are far more hopeful (i.e. "dear civilization, please live longer than me :(")

Goons' attitudes to children don't seem to make a whole lot of difference to doomerism, which surprised me, but it might be because there's too much noise-to-signal in the data (which might also explain that weird anomaly there in the third category)

clarification: "hopes for" is shorthand for wanting, expecting, or hoping for children at some future point

I might do some more analysis tomorrow on location and media consumption but that will be more of a ballache so I'll just finish with this:

publish this in the journal of doomerism and malthusian theory

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

vyelkin posted:

i am going to win the most probations contest

time to put astrals work into a test. just how badly can you gently caress up the lepers colony and maintain joke cohesion?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

technically you could class it as activism, overwhelming the system with so many probes that it just stops working

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pog boyfriend posted:

every now and then i have to make a thread because some jag floods the lepers colony with giant lovely images making the function of the website unreadable

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

:chloe:

edit: omg they did it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990847 lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Lmao not the sanctity of the lepers colony!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ok you got me I'll take a loving sixer with this one

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

vyelkin posted:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mayor Dave posted:

Lmao not the sanctity of the lepers colony!

I wasn't gonna take another probe but now that I know it annoys people? Well, gentlemen, it seems the balance of the equation has changed

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

well now i have to, since a boring scold told me not to do it

vyelkin posted:

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Give me one for the road and another for the end of the world.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm glad the biosphere collapse thread is no longer about biosphere collapse and is now instead GBS as gently caress

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm glad the biosphere collapse thread is no longer about biosphere collapse and is now instead GBS as gently caress

It's not that bad, yet.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yea pretty weird. We must be further along than anticipated

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol literally at the end of a few pages discussing when goons think biosphere collapse will irreconciliably distort society beyond what we can predict

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SKULL.GIF posted:

If we can't enjoy the end of the world then what are we even doing with our lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mediaphage posted:

lol literally at the end of a few pages discussing when goons think biosphere collapse will irreconciliably distort society beyond what we can predict

do not gaslight me. the past 7 pages have been :razz: probations.

my personal outlook is that civilization will persist in pockets and regions throughout, but that globalization will collapse around the middle of the century due to multiple stressors on the system combined with terran output taking a massive blow from general climate collapse and heat increases. after the end of globalization is exceedingly difficult to predict what will happen beyond general immiseration and death