Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

I mean, ultimately all that pollution is ending up in the hands of a consumer though, whether it be oil for cars, plastics for home goods, metal for various machines. Unless there's something I am missing? While I agree one consumer cannot change anything, I also don't know if everyone shrugging and saying well "The people who make the stuff I keep mindlessly consuming are the real polluters!"

We keep mindlessly consuming in large part because of the relentless onslaught of advertisements and marketing campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Males, meats, mattlestar galactica

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Covok posted:

I mean, it would be a good thing to do that, actually, since they're the real enemy and must be brought to heel by law or by violence if mankind is to survive.

I mean, I agree that more radical actions are necessary. I just hate people also acting like they're not either directly or indirectly engaging in the pollution. It's the same sort of shrugging of responsibility that the "We're all gonna get COVID anyway, might as well live until I die" type people do, no? Again, the biggest culprit is lovely corpos and governments, but should that be a blank check for you not care?

I honestly don't know and I'm a huge hypocrite, so don't take it personally. IDK. I think about these things a lot.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zurtilik posted:

I mean, ultimately all that pollution is ending up in the hands of a consumer though, whether it be oil for cars, plastics for home goods, metal for various machines. Unless there's something I am missing? While I agree one consumer cannot change anything, I also don't know if everyone shrugging and saying well "The people who make the stuff I keep mindlessly consuming are the real polluters!"

The worst couple kinds of pollution specifically for the ocean are both purely structural, and can't be reduced at all by limiting consumption.

Agricultural runoff and tire microfragments have nothing to do with how often you replace your iphone, or whether you bring your own bags.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shear Modulus posted:

trump would be doing the daily press conferences and talking about injecting bleach, which would at least be funny

We also would have gotten a $2,000 check in November when he wanted the dopamine hit of people praising him.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Mola Yam posted:

still catching up with the thread but just read that every post in this thread kills five americans, so i had to post immediately

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nice and hot piss posted:

I'll prob die in my current gig but my funeral won't be as glamorous.

My ex is doing the travel thing. She's making a lot of money but figures it might be balanced out by all the alcohol and therapy.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

When your friends find out you're the one who has been hoarding rapid tests

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ikanreed posted:

The worst couple kinds of pollution specifically for the ocean are both purely structural, and can't be reduced at all by limiting consumption.

Agricultural runoff and tire microfragments have nothing to do with how often you replace your iphone, or whether you bring your own bags.

tbf CO2 emissions probably trump all other forms of pollution in terms of immediate impact right now, including how they affect the oceans

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah that's started but obviously it only refers to 2020 so your number is probably more accurate

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/12/22/covid-life-expectancy/

I took the +40% mortality from the insurance CEO who was in the news last week, so who knows if that's universally applicable.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zurtilik posted:

I mean, I agree that more radical actions are necessary. I just hate people also acting like they're not either directly or indirectly engaging in the pollution. It's the same sort of shrugging of responsibility that the "We're all gonna get COVID anyway, might as well live until I die" type people do, no? Again, the biggest culprit is lovely corpos and governments, but should that be a blank check for you not care?

I honestly don't know and I'm a huge hypocrite, so don't take it personally. IDK. I think about these things a lot.

theres a whole biosphere collapse thread where u can post these thoughts and everyone will tell you it doesnt matter anyway

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

fits my needs posted:

theres a whole biosphere collapse thread where u can post these thoughts and everyone will tell you it doesnt matter anyway

Yeah.

:sigh:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

dew worm posted:

Bernie is sooooo much more lucid and articulate than Kamala lol

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Plank Walker posted:

the 3 m's stand for men, males, and my bros

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

I took the +40% mortality from the insurance CEO who was in the news last week, so who knows if that's universally applicable.

it was +40% mortality among working-age people who are already way less likely to die, so you can't just add an extra 40% onto population-wide mortality

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Paradoxish posted:

tbf CO2 emissions probably trump all other forms of pollution in terms of immediate impact right now, including how they affect the oceans

Also overwhelmingly structural. I don't mean to excuse individual behavior, but the makeup of power generation, the lack of mass transit, the lack of sequestration in cement making, and industrial coal usage(totalling like 75% of emissions) is basically not at all in the control of "consumers".

You can argue that we could boycott beef, I guess.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Hey dumbass bernie bros we would be in the same situation no matter what old white man was voted in stop thinking things would be different because we dont have right white guy you fuckin clowns

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

actually bernie being president would be better because all the haters and losers would be moaning about him instead of covid itt

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

ikanreed posted:

Also overwhelmingly structural. I don't mean to excuse individual behavior, but the makeup of power generation, the lack of mass transit, the lack of sequestration in cement making, and industrial coal usage(totalling like 75% of emissions) is basically not at all in the control of "consumers".

Yeah, that's fair... I don't know how realistic it would be for me to be like "I'm gonna boycott electricity until this plant really gets into better shape!"

Thanks! I was thinking too small.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

ikanreed posted:

It's all structural, but the point is that businesses don't just do things for the sake of doing them. Structural issues are still individual-level issues, even if individual behavior is powerless to change them.

There may or may not be a lesson about COVID here, too.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

it was +40% mortality among working-age people who are already way less likely to die, so you can't just add an extra 40% onto population-wide mortality

Yeah it's probably way higher for retirees.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Having another one of those cool days where my heartrate is resting between 100 and 120bpm.

Cool stuff. Wasn't ever really a thing until about a month after recovering from covid.

cool cool cool

(*doc checked me out, EKG looked normal, he said. I was born with a neurological defect that fucks w my blood pressure (*and in turn heart rate), but that hasn't really been a thing that affected me for at least a decade.)

Maybe its anxiety!!!
Maybe its long covid!

Very exciting times.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I say we uhhh...

Take it to those FAT CATS in Washington!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

cr0y posted:

So how'd you tell them to gently caress off?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The sequences used for COVID patients here were from a study published in May 2020 of 7 hospitalized COVID patients, 4 of which were ventilated. Obviously it's still terrifying but this is generally looking at worst case scenario infections.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CPU Abuser posted:

Are you getting this problem with the braided-strap 9210?

I do.

Try measuring from the bridge of your nose to the base of your chin. No need to deal with the way your face folds, just hold a ruler next to your face and look in a mirror.

If it's more than 4 7/8 inches, your face size is "large" according to 3M's face size chart.

I'm at 5 inches. Right smack in the middle of the "large" range. The result is that the chin flap tends to pull away from the base of my chin and "walk" it's way up the mask. That doesn't do the seal any good.

I found a workaround. It's not perfect, but it does help.

I found these for a previous mask .....

You can buy them on eBay for about $5 per 26. Same price I paid about 20 months ago, and probably the same vendor. 26 of these ought to get you through the pandemic even if it's still going on half a decade from now.

Here's an eBay link that's still working at time of this writing. It'll also give you a search string if that particular eBay item is gone by the time you read this.

26 pieces 1/4" STOPPER Elastic Face Mask White cord band for sewing Multi size

Take a look at the back side of an unused mask. The lower strap is cut the same length as the upper one, but it's going around a narrower anchor: back of the neck versus back of the head.

Use one of those stoppers to shorten up the lower strap until the tension seats the chin flap a bit more securely.

Here's what my test mask looked like after I retrofitted one of these. The wire lying across the straps is what I used to thread a bight of strapping through the stopper.

I have the same issue so I'm gonna give those a try. Thanks for the idea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Hey dumbass bernie bros we would be in the same situation no matter what old white man was voted in stop thinking things would be different because we dont have right white guy you fuckin clowns

:yeah:

Kamala Harris will fix it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

It's all structural, but the point is that businesses don't just do things for the sake of doing them. Structural issues are still individual-level issues, even if individual behavior is powerless to change them.

There may or may not be a lesson about COVID here, too.

industrial civilization is unsustainable. we had a chance to transition to a cleaner power source and supplement it with renewables about 40 years ago but that was less profitable so we didn't and now we're locked in for like +6C warming at a minimum

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Haven't there been studies that found people were still immune at least 3 months after infection? Is the above saying that even the 3 months immune should be impossible?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Platystemon posted:

:yeah:

Kamala Harris will fix it.

I'm gonna be so fuckin rich when she pays off that iou we're almost at 6 figgy baby more than I've ever had

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1482022400048906242

over

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serf posted:

industrial civilization is unsustainable. we had a chance to transition to a cleaner power source and supplement it with renewables about 40 years ago but that was less profitable so we didn't and now we're locked in for like +6C warming at a minimum

It's like the "slash burn" attitude that wiped out the Amazon rain forest but we are doing it on the planet level.

Future generations will figure it out!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

etalian posted:

Future generations will figure it out!

Not if there aren't any future generations

*taps skull meme*

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

So how'd you tell them to gently caress off?

By marking them up 500%

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Serf posted:

Kind of like how we chose our fate with COVID a few months after it started.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

When I was at jefferson the union at the hospital was contemplating going on strike over contract negotiations. They were doing some planned demonstrations in front of the hospital. The hospital sent out a blast email to all staff/employees warning us to not engage with the perfidious communists, simply follow the direction of the overseeing constabulary and ignore this uppity riff raff to go about your day. I wish I saved it, it was really loving wild to see such an aggressive and combative memo about union action. In what I'm sure is entirely unrelated, the union represents almost exclusively the "low skill, low education" jobs at the hospital and is subsequently overwhelmingly black/latino.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/20120702_Union_workers_ratify_pact_with_Jefferson_Hospital.html

claiming that unions are dangerous outside agitators planted by antifa/china/unknown outsiders is a universal tactic. i have been part of university organizing for years and the school always says that outside union thugs are infiltrating the university and attempting to threaten you into joining and possibly will steal your laptop, please call security if you see someone who shouldn't be here when 100% of the union organizing converstions they're trying to prevent are people talking to their coworkers

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hadlock posted:

Good enough to get them from A to B, any kind of coordinated attack would be... Highly effective it turns out. Evac masks are mostly useless but also probably all that's called for, sadly

I think the Whitehouse has significantly better physical security, was basically turned into a fortress about 100 years ago curious what will happen to the capitol building now

In an attack, wearing one of those is also basically like wearing a huge neon sign that says "I'M A VIP!"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

cr0y posted:

When you tell your friends you’re the one hoarding tests

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Bullfrog posted:

"i have no idea how i got covid. i even triple masked with p100 on my way to seating in applebees"

lmao drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

deadwing posted:

The sequences used for COVID patients here were from a study published in May 2020 of 7 hospitalized COVID patients, 4 of which were ventilated. Obviously it's still terrifying but this is generally looking at worst case scenario infections.

yeah if this really is airborne AIDS people would be having far more severe and noticeable long covid symptoms along with weird diseases that only show up when your immune system is completely shot