Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

On another though complimentary note, I came into an overabundance of molasses. In figuring out what to do with it, I turned some of it into molasses syrup. And boy oh boy does that match up well with dark rum things. I'm looking forward to seeing everything else I can blend it with.

Don't let it loose on the Boston streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Can’t make that sub, no. Heering is sweet and syrupy, maraschino is dry, bittersweet, and- herbal? It’s a very unique flavor, the closest I can describe it is halfway between cherry cough syrup and anise. But good!

Edit: for creme de violette, you usually can’t go wrong with Giffard liqueurs.

Most excellent, thank you for the quick reply! Shows you how much I know about cherry-flavoured things, lol.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Heering is also blood red, so it will turn your Aviation into a Cloud Suck.

Okay, now I'm going to play around with Heering and creme de violette and see what kind of weird purple cocktails I can make. I've definitely made some purplish skies and dark blue ones by messing up the ratios.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 11, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I made that mistake once, cannot recommend. One other major reason not to is that maraschino/maraska is clear, whereas Heering is dark red, and one of the major features of the Aviation is its light blue color. If you use Heering or other red-colored liqueur it turns the whole thing into brown muddy garbage.

Once you've tasted or smelled maraschino you'll know why it's not a sub for cherry anything, it is its own very distinctive flavor, with only the barest suggestion of cherry-like-ness.

efb - good luck, I thought "cool purple" was a possible outcome but it turned out ... not to be

Violette and Campari, now maybe that has potential

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Heering is also blood red, so it will turn your Aviation into a Cloud Suck.

Okay, now I'm going to play around with Heering and creme de violette and see what kind of weird purple cocktails I can make. I've definitely made some purplish skies and dark blue ones by messing up the ratios.

Would you be able to layer the two liqueurs so you get two distinct colours at the beginning, then you mix right as you're drinking, perhaps?

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I made that mistake once, cannot recommend. One other major reason not to is that maraschino/maraska is clear, whereas Heering is dark red, and one of the major features of the Aviation is its light blue color. If you use Heering or other red-colored liqueur it turns the whole thing into brown muddy garbage.

Once you've tasted or smelled maraschino you'll know why it's not a sub for cherry anything, it is its own very distinctive flavor, with only the barest suggestion of cherry-like-ness.

efb - good luck, I thought "cool purple" was a possible outcome but it turned out ... not to be

Violette and Campari, now maybe that has potential

Yeah, I'm gonna go buy two bottles of everything so I can "experiment" (see: have an excuse to drink at least one Aviation a night :cheers:) to try to get the best flavour/colour balance. A few of the recipes I saw online were saying the same thing regarding the purple colour, so hopefully I'll be able to dial in that really popping purple that all the photos show.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
How bad is sunlight for a liquor cabinet? I noticed mine gets an hour or so of direct sun in the winter, is it a “find a new location ASAP” situation or a “you might kind of taste a difference in bottle after a couple years” situation?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I'm going to bother with layering, I'm just going to make B-52s and play "Roam/Bushfire" on vinyl.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

On another though complimentary note, I came into an overabundance of molasses. In figuring out what to do with it, I turned some of it into molasses syrup. And boy oh boy does that match up well with dark rum things. I'm looking forward to seeing everything else I can blend it with.

Slowly turning into an older Vermonter drinking Black Stripes and Stone Fences.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Toebone posted:

How bad is sunlight for a liquor cabinet? I noticed mine gets an hour or so of direct sun in the winter, is it a “find a new location ASAP” situation or a “you might kind of taste a difference in bottle after a couple years” situation?

Unless you’re taking an incredibly long time to go through a bottle, like years, you probably won’t see any difference. Introducing oxygen by opening it does just as much and most people don’t worry about that.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm thinking I'm going to have an Aviation as the "cocktail of the night" for a dinner party I'm hosting this weekend, and I have one quick question regarding it - all the recipes I've scoped call for "maraschino liqueur". I'm not the biggest fan of cherry so I'm not incredibly familiar with this, would I be able to sub in Heering Cherry Liqueur in a pinch?

Follow-up question: any goon-recommended creme de violettes y'all can throw at me?

Thanks!

Maraschino Liquer is not that cherry flavored honestly. It uses the pits of the cherries not the fruit to distill the spirit.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I replaced the lime juice with lemon juice in The Last Word, and it's pretty good! It's a bit more mellow and sweeter than before. Reminiscent of a lemon head after you've finished the outer shell.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is DIY grenadine better than some bottled brand, cost aside?

I need some and I’m fine with paying more for a bottle if the flavor will be as good as anything I would make.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is DIY grenadine better than some bottled brand, cost aside?

I need some and I’m fine with paying more for a bottle if the flavor will be as good as anything I would make.

DIY is always better for the cost. Most poo poo in a bottle is artificially flavored corn syrup, even more expensive ones.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The difference between good homemade grenade and good bottled grenadine is that the bottled stuff is still worse, because it has enough preservatives to make it shelf-stable, and ridiculously expensive for what it is.

Edit: :hmmyes: Citric acid

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 13, 2022

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Having tried several bottled grenadines and made my own, I can safely say that the homemade stuff is best, and that I don’t like grenadine very much regardless.

For what it’s worth, the recipe in Cocktail Codex has the right idea when they add some citric acid to give it a bright pop. You risk having a stewed, almost tomatoey flavor otherwise, which I think is more authentic but isn’t very good at all.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I make grenadine by just doing a syrup of pomegranate juice and sugar

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

First attempt at an Aviation and yeah, y'all were right, that purple colour is hard to obtain! :colbert:

I used the recipe from liquor.com, and phreow, this absolutely needs its creme de violette and lemon juice rations swapped. It was like a hint of creme de violette right at the beginning, then drinking straight lemon juice. I couldn't even taste the gin!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I make grenadine by just doing a syrup of pomegranate juice and sugar
I find a splash of orange oil or orange flower water really steps it up.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

First attempt at an Aviation and yeah, y'all were right, that purple colour is hard to obtain! :colbert:

I used the recipe from liquor.com, and phreow, this absolutely needs its creme de violette and lemon juice rations swapped. It was like a hint of creme de violette right at the beginning, then drinking straight lemon juice. I couldn't even taste the gin!

An aviation is supposed to be silver, not purple. The sky isn't purple, and if your aviation is it probably tastes like poo poo.

E: liquor.com's spec has both too much lemon juice AND too much violette. Generally you want a barspoon, which is 1/8th to 1/12th of an oz depending on the spoon

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 13, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus lmao

You have to really like some god drat violette to make it that dark

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Just like a little anise goes a long way in terms of flavour, a little violette goes a long way in terms of colour.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Jesus lmao

You have to really like some god drat violette to make it that dark

:ohdear: I tried the violette on its own and I really did like it a lot!

Fart Car '97 posted:

An aviation is supposed to be silver, not purple. The sky isn't purple, and if your aviation is it probably tastes like poo poo.

E: liquor.com's spec has both too much lemon juice AND too much violette. Generally you want a barspoon, which is 1/8th to 1/12th of an oz depending on the spoon

I mean, I googled "aviation cocktail" and easily 75%+ of the images and recipes that came back had it that lovely purple colour :shrug:

I'm definitely not going to decrease the violette amount, at least not until I lower the lemon juice so it's not just drinking a lemon, lol.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I got an Aviation at a local place and it was light grey. Tasted great though.

Re: molasses syrup, I just made syrup from dark muscovado sugar and it's similarly amazing in rum cocktails. Probably pretty similar to that!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

The Maestro posted:

Ah yes that beautiful purple sky we all know and love.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you want a purple aviation just use Empress and charge $6 more for it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Or tempus fugit’s creme de violette which is a bright maroon color

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
How long does homemade grenadine tend to last? I’ve got a bottle I made over the summer (with an ounce of vodka added) that still smells and tastes fine, though it’s begun looking a bit brownish.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

anything good i can make with manischewitz? it's sitting in my liquor cabinet and i'd like to use it up, but i can't drink it like wine. bit nasty on its own

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Karenina posted:

anything good i can make with manischewitz? it's sitting in my liquor cabinet and i'd like to use it up, but i can't drink it like wine. bit nasty on its own

Call it port and serve it to unsuspecting friends.

Reduce to a syrup for use on pancakes.

Freeze into grape popsicles.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Karenina posted:

anything good i can make with manischewitz?
Holy Communion, if you're into that. Drank it every Sunday for years

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Karenina posted:

anything good i can make with manischewitz?

Make boozy slushies.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
If you stir an aviation to mix instead of shaking, it should help you get a more purple color I think.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Why would that matter?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Less air to lighten the color maybe?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think we just talked in a circle, but stirred Aviation is definitely more purple. Citrus juice is much cloudier when shaken, and gives more of that gray color. I suppose generally speaking you might end up with a little more dilution as well, though that depends on a few other factors.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Karenina posted:

Dogg. I manage the bar at a Jewish restaurant. You came to the right place.

I make a Manischewitz syrup by combining an equal volume of it with white sugar and stirring vigorously. The resultant “Manny syrup” is surprisingly useful. Here are a couple recipes from my book:

Mensch 75
1.5oz gin
0.75 lemon juice
0.5 Manny syrup
Shake, fine strain into whatever glass, top with dry sparkling wine. Garnish with a lemon twist or a small plastic dreidel.

Synagogue Sling
1.5oz vodka
0.75 lemon juice
0.5 Manny syrup
0.5 Luxardo Bitter Bianco (Suze or Salers will work fine too)
Shake and dump, ice and all, into a tall rocks glass. A lemon twist is nice but not strictly necessary.

Try using it anywhere you’d use grenadine. It’s fun!

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Thanks for the trinidad sour discussion, I need to try that.

On the topic of bitters, mole bitters seemed like one of our more common "oh, we have almost everything for this cocktail, except for..." ingredients. I put a bottle in my wife's stocking for Christmas, so of course now that we have them, I can't remember those recipes, and my googling isn't bringing up much of interest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

WaffleZombie posted:

Thanks for the trinidad sour discussion, I need to try that.

On the topic of bitters, mole bitters seemed like one of our more common "oh, we have almost everything for this cocktail, except for..." ingredients. I put a bottle in my wife's stocking for Christmas, so of course now that we have them, I can't remember those recipes, and my googling isn't bringing up much of interest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I’m fond of the “hotel room temperature:”

https://kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/hotel-room-temperature

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Left Hand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

I mean, I googled "aviation cocktail" and easily 75%+ of the images and recipes that came back had it that lovely purple colour :shrug:

That's because, much like you discovered, a well made aviation isn't actually a super impressive color. Media shoots the cocktail to look good, not to reflect what it actually looks like when placed in front of the drinker. Ive been guilty of this myself when prepping a drink for media. You yourself found this out personally when you made liquor.com's spec and discovered that the bright purple drink in their image is very obviously not the drink their recipe makes. It's almost certainly just Violette and water with possibly a little citrus juice adjusted until they have a nice, photographable purple, which is then further made more vibrant in post processing.

Look at the domains of 90% of the images you're talking about. They're middle-aged-white-mommy blogs that live and die on listicles and bright pictures that result in click-throughs. I promise you, almost every one of those images is not an actual cocktail.

3/4 of an ounce of lemon in the spec you posted is way too much for sure, but you shouldn't be so beholden to 1/4 oz violette either. Try a little less, try a little more. For most people 1/4oz is going to be pushing into soap-territory but you may have different tastes. Don't let your mental image of what the drink should be prevent you from finding the spec you actually enjoy drinking the most.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 15, 2022