Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Franks Happy Place posted:

If you think the 136 is nice, give the VPO-209 a shot, I personally think it's is superior in every way, especially once you have flea market access to buy the (relatively cheap) AP ammo.

A tricked out 209 is comparable to a SVDS in a lot of ways, but it's way cheaper. Use the two-cell 10 round mags and you can get your ergo up to like 60, which is best in class for a "DMR".

Every since they buffed the ammo (and the gun itself) the VPO has been a fantastic gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

are the operational tasks still bugged to not give xp? a very easy thing to check, but i'd have to actually finish one of those drat things to know

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Every since they buffed the ammo (and the gun itself) the VPO has been a fantastic gun.

It always surprises me how loving loud that thing is

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Wrr posted:

It always surprises me how loving loud that thing is

Indeed, it is wonderful :allears:.

Getting shot by something that loud is also low-key terrifying. Which makes me wonder, as someone who knows gently caress all about guns IRL, are there attachments that can make the gun sound louder? That would be a "fun" addition I think.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The MOA on .366 is god awful. You’re better off sniping with shotgun slugs

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Cage Kicker posted:

The MOA on .366 is god awful. You’re better off sniping with shotgun slugs

What about the Gornostay with AP-M?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What I don't understand is that why the game has so many more sights on lvl1 traders? I can buy sights for all kinds of things at lvl1, and they cost basically nothing! I don't understand. I don't actually have to use ironsights at all anymore if I don't want to?! ?!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
the difficult part about sniping with the slugs is the drop, you cant really do long range shots effectively.

personally? i find the recoil on the vpo 209 intolerable. I'd rather take an OK ak or m4a1 and know i need to double tap em. In mid/close range the nose of the vpo-209 is flying everywhere, so it take forever to land more than a few shots.

that being said gornostay is beautiful compromise in value and efficiency. I like the ammo type for early bolty sniping.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
You don't use a 209 as an AK or M4 substitute, you use it as a DMR.

Here's a great video explanation including a build guide. Don't worry, he cuts immediately to the chase with a build/demo fight in the first ~1 minute.

https://youtu.be/NIOtlOh9iq4

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

You don't use a 209 as an AK or M4 substitute, you use it as a DMR.

Here's a great video explanation including a build guide. Don't worry, he cuts immediately to the chase with a build/demo fight in the first ~1 minute.

https://youtu.be/NIOtlOh9iq4

You kept stressing the 209 as a DMR and I was thinking to myself "hm, I bet he watched the Drewski video".

Guess I was right.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Mellow_ posted:

You kept stressing the 209 as a DMR and I was thinking to myself "hm, I bet he watched the Drewski video".

Guess I was right.

I was actually rocking a similar build two wipes ago (I found a dead PMC loaded with 366 AP and the rest was history) but I have definitely noticed a significant uptick in people using this build since the Drewski vid.

The biggest advantage is the (relatively) cheap AP ammo that is still on the flea market post-flea changes, ability to one-shot a thorax, and very high ergo compared to a comparable gun like the SKS.

The upthread remark about the relatively poor MOA is fair, but even at ~3 it's basically a head-sized circle at 200m, which is the effective range of slower larger ammo anyways.

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 14, 2022

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I don't think there's a meaningful difference between the designations dmr and an assault rifle in this game. The ranges aren't big enough for MOA to matter (but the vpo is less accurate) and you can simply select fire to semi-automatic and fire accurately at range with BT or whatever.

I think that ergo matters less for longer range weapons anyways, because your enemies are unaware. It doesn't matter how fast you ADS, and you often don't have to hold an angle to fish the shot.

Ergo is for holding ADS down corridors while waiting for your opponent to get impatient, or rounding corners or being surprised. You save like 10k going the vpo route but you have a poo poo gun for cqb and if I'm spending like 100k on an ak I'd rather buy one with full auto and 30 round mags.

I'm just fascinated by the concept of the dmr role in this game? Like what are you able to accomplish with a 'dmr' style weapon that an assault rifle doesn't do?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

I don't think there's a meaningful difference between the designations dmr and an assault rifle in this game. The ranges aren't big enough for MOA to matter (but the vpo is less accurate) and you can simply select fire to semi-automatic and fire accurately at range with BT or whatever.

I think that ergo matters less for longer range weapons anyways, because your enemies are unaware. It doesn't matter how fast you ADS, and you often don't have to hold an angle to fish the shot.

Ergo is for holding ADS down corridors while waiting for your opponent to get impatient, or rounding corners or being surprised. You save like 10k going the vpo route but you have a poo poo gun for cqb and if I'm spending like 100k on an ak I'd rather buy one with full auto and 30 round mags.

I'm just fascinated by the concept of the dmr role in this game? Like what are you able to accomplish with a 'dmr' style weapon that an assault rifle doesn't do?

First off I think you are forgetting the other main reason for ergo, which is far more relevant to sniper rifles etc: it influences how long you can hold scope. They essentially use it as shorthand for "weight".

As for "what makes a DMR versus an assault rifle"., I guess from my perspective the distinction is the ability to hold a sight for a long time (hence low ergo) vs. full auto capability. When I think "DMR" I think something akin to a light sniper rifle, quick to shoulder and light to hold, but semi-auto and scope-orientated

edit: oh and low vertical kick is the other big thing, which the foregrip helps considerably with compared to the SKS where you can't do that without a billion roubles worth of flea kit

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 14, 2022

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

First off I think you are forgetting the other main reason for ergo, which is far more relevant to sniper rifles etc: it influences how long you can hold scope. They essentially use it as shorthand for "weight".

As for "what makes a DMR versus an assault rifle"., I guess from my perspective the distinction is the ability to hold a sight for a long time (hence low ergo) vs. full auto capability. When I think "DMR" I think something akin to a light sniper rifle, quick to shoulder and light to hold, but semi-auto and scope-orientated

advice no 1: go prone for ergo x10000

advice no 2: staying out of scope makes it easier to acquire targets

I'm not trolling you, guess we have very different definitions on what are useful gadgets to have.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Hooplah posted:

are the operational tasks still bugged to not give xp? a very easy thing to check, but i'd have to actually finish one of those drat things to know

This was fixed several bug fix/patches ago, you properly get rewarded xp and rep for OP tasks. Although occasionally you will still be offered yesterdays operational tasks which will bug out and spit you back to the menu.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

advice no 1: go prone for ergo x10000

advice no 2: staying out of scope makes it easier to acquire targets

I'm not trolling you, guess we have very different definitions on what are useful gadgets to have.

#1 and #2 are both great ways to do something like (say) hang out on Sniper Rock on Woods waiting for meat to walk through the meadow. Prone is obviously best for a variety of reasons, including lower profile and the free stamina etc.

(I don't have much issue with #2 at all because Our Lord Valday 1x/6x is the savior of all mankind, but that's a separate point)

But just for me personally, I find being able to hold scope for a long time is very handy when you're moving quickly to investigate distant shots, third-man a fight etc. You can't always count on there being a perfect ledge or hillock that allows you the right inclination to go prone, ditto for the local grass length etc... but there's almost always a bush or rock you can crouch behind. I just find it gives me more freedom to rapidly run around and change angles but still engage like a sniper.

It's a gun I like to use when I'm actively moving around a map clicking heads (and hitting thorax instead because I'm bad, but it's OK because it one shots them anyways), its sort of feels like a really chadly M4 buildout but hits like an SVDS. The only downside is the semi auto only, but that's just ~early wipe things~.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
DMRs typically run ammo that has relatively high pen and very high flesh damage at the cost of not being able to run full auto. You can’t just deck out a gun in a different caliber round, switch it to semi, and get the same results (unless of course you’re a god and always hit heads). That VPO may not be a standard meta gun but it definitely has a place.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

been playin' and having some success finally extracting and what not but it feels a little aimless. which is fine, I do like the core loop. do a run as scav, spend 8 years managing inventory, get a good load out, die as pmc and sigh in relief cuz I don't have to offload any gear, repeat.

but I find myself feeling like I need to set a goal for myself in the game, any recommendations? the general progression is nice but it isn't landing for me compared to the anxiety/menial labour.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Pladdicus posted:

I need to set a goal for myself in the game, any recommendations?
Focus on improving your hideout.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

giZm posted:

Focus on improving your hideout.

This, and get peacekeeper 2

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

TJChap2840 posted:

DMRs typically run ammo that has relatively high pen and very high flesh damage at the cost of not being able to run full auto. You can’t just deck out a gun in a different caliber round, switch it to semi, and get the same results (unless of course you’re a god and always hit heads). That VPO may not be a standard meta gun but it definitely has a place.

Most of the dmrs do share calibers with assault rifles.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

only the sa-58 and scar-h are chambered in 7.62x51... the ARs are almost all 5.56 or 5.45. if you have the money and ability to acquire an sa-58 i think the distinction between the vpo and ak is moot

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

Most of the dmrs do share calibers with assault rifles.

Before this boils down to something stupid, ignore the DMR term and focus on the ammo that VPO is using. You’re right, if you’re trying to build a gun with M4 or AK ammo, then you should probably ignore the VPO but there is a play style between bolt action and full auto CQB. That VPO seems like a fun option that tries to walk the line.

Regardless of viability, there is plenty of space for somebody to just build whatever they want to have fun with at any given time

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

I was actually rocking a similar build two wipes ago (I found a dead PMC loaded with 366 AP and the rest was history) but I have definitely noticed a significant uptick in people using this build since the Drewski vid.

The biggest advantage is the (relatively) cheap AP ammo that is still on the flea market post-flea changes, ability to one-shot a thorax, and very high ergo compared to a comparable gun like the SKS.

The upthread remark about the relatively poor MOA is fair, but even at ~3 it's basically a head-sized circle at 200m, which is the effective range of slower larger ammo anyways.

The lovely MOA doesn't even matter to me. The 209 sounds so sexy with a suppressor on.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

TJChap2840 posted:

Before this boils down to something stupid, ignore the DMR term and focus on the ammo that VPO is using. You’re right, if you’re trying to build a gun with M4 or AK ammo, then you should probably ignore the VPO but there is a play style between bolt action and full auto CQB. That VPO seems like a fun option that tries to walk the line.

Regardless of viability, there is plenty of space for somebody to just build whatever they want to have fun with at any given time

yeah, sure it's a fine .366 platform.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Mellow_ posted:

The lovely MOA doesn't even matter to me. The 209 sounds so sexy with a suppressor on.

:hfive:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there an EFT roadmap somewhere? I got to say, I am genuinely impressed with the game it's pretty amazing how every update keeps making everything that much better.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there an EFT roadmap somewhere? I got to say, I am genuinely impressed with the game it's pretty amazing how every update keeps making everything that much better.

https://escapefromtarkov.fandom.com/wiki/Upcoming_Features

I think this is mostly accurate. The stuff about open world is probably a pipe dream/will actually be their next game.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That's freaking awesome,

The biggest thing I wish they would bring back is early SCAV Spawns or SCAVs with reasonable gear. There was nothing better than interrupting PMCs on Reserve, triggering raider spawns and making a complete mess of the whole situation.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

That's freaking awesome,

The biggest thing I wish they would bring back is early SCAV Spawns or SCAVs with reasonable gear. There was nothing better than interrupting PMCs on Reserve, triggering raider spawns and making a complete mess of the whole situation.

Scav gear is somewhat linked to Fence Rep, last wipe goons with higher rep were reporting spawning with better gear, labs cards, etc..

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
i think theyre going to make the transfer to open world in this game. you shoudl see what the game was like when it came out

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Mesadoram posted:

Indeed, it is wonderful :allears:.

Getting shot by something that loud is also low-key terrifying. Which makes me wonder, as someone who knows gently caress all about guns IRL, are there attachments that can make the gun sound louder? That would be a "fun" addition I think.

Can't remember if its modelled in game, the sound is different but I dunno about overall loudness, but the two IRL ways are to cut down the barrel (so when the bullet leaves, the pressure inside the barrel is much higher, so bigger bang) and certain muzzle breaks, like the tanker side ones (redirects the gases to the side, which is a combo of forcing them through a small area plus 'aiming' it at people around you)

An Obrez with a tanker muzzle should be loud enough to deafen everyone near it

tjones
May 13, 2005
I'm most excited about Streets. Even if they don't end up linking all the maps together, Streets appears huge enough that if they end up pulling that map off and it running well and holding a ton of PMCs and scavs at once, it should be absolute bedlam. I hope it doesn't turn into a ghost town because of FPS issues or the possibility of not supporting many players in one raid or some other similar reason.

IMO, I look at Streets as the make or break when deciding if they can pull off an open world in the same title.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I too found about the bush in Shoreline's radar station. You can jump in but you can't jump out. Great. Absolutely awesome.

gently caress.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

TheTofuShop posted:

Scav gear is somewhat linked to Fence Rep, last wipe goons with higher rep were reporting spawning with better gear, labs cards, etc..

I’m sitting at around 4 fence rep and not noticing much of a gear difference. Timer is pretty short though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

TheTofuShop posted:

Goddamn it.

I made a huge mistake with one of those grenade launchers and ended up getting my rep incredibly low. Is the best way to get it back up only to help extract PMCs?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Neon Belly posted:

I’m sitting at around 4 fence rep and not noticing much of a gear difference. Timer is pretty short though.

I'm at like 2.3 and I feel like every other run I have a gun with a silencer + a few mods, and decent scav armor I can usually flea for 50k alone.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Huh, the Gornostay rifle is not too bad either. You can directly mount those 25mm rings and that lovely scope, some mags and .366 FMJ for like 30k roubles. It kills scavs with 1 shot and players who have lvl2 chest armor... nice. It feels quite usable :o You can buy a silencer from Skier too.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The vpo-215 is a LOT better if you use the AP ammo instead. With some luck you can one-shot to the chest people wearing lv 3 armor, two-shot level 4 and most helmets fare about as well

Last wipe I ran that gun every time I went into woods and had a great time dunking on people who put more money into their rifle than I did my entire getup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yes but it requires lvl2 workbench. Mine is currently lvl0 still :v: