Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want one of those but not for $120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's better than buying one in Canada where you'd have to pay like 156 maple leafs for it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I get the hobby is expensive but it's a hard pill to swallow for 120 for a single long lamp when I have two adjustable lamps for $50

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That's fair, but I was getting annoyed with the lamps we already had in the house not quite working. I also use this for non-painting purposes (illuminating my desk for webcam games of Magic!) so it kind of pulls double duty.

And between 40k and Magic I have a skewer sense of value.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Verisimilidude posted:

I got two of these bulbs for my ikea lamps and they’re honestly the best.

AgroBrite FLC13D Compact... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSKX4GG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

i bought one of these on your previous recommendation and it has worked great thank you

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Get some overhead LED shoplights you can hang from the ceiling for like $30, and you'll get more light than you can handle.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Another day another Infinity model. This time the Hsien with MULTI rifle.

I like this Pikachu

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Personal avocado transport officer complete, with assistant kodama.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Aranan posted:

Not a bulb, but I just got this desk lamp two weeks ago and I love it.

Neatfi XL 2,200 Lumens LED Task Lamp with Clamp, 24W, 117 Pcs SMD LED, 23 Inches Ultra Wide Lamp, 4 Level Brightness Dimmable, Eye-Caring LED Lamp, Glare Free, Adjustable Arm Utility Clamp (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083B635V2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_J9S74B0WN9KR6C5WKPQT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I got one of these shipped to NZ for xmas.
Zero regrets.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Get some overhead LED shoplights you can hang from the ceiling for like $30, and you'll get more light than you can handle.

With a vaulted ceiling in a studio apartment, can't really do that easily without disrupting the other half. Speaking of which, I need to figure out a way to put some curtains up on a 6' tall ceiling...

Anyways I ordered Garfy's get-a-grip and I'm a bit disappointed in it.

Like, it's a cool idea, but my overall feedback:

• Pretty light, might consider dremeling a hole to put a weight on the base. Though, personally I feel like it should have been part of the design.
  • Adding a model in the shims is a bit clunky. actually putting in a regular old space marine was a little bit clumsy of an operation compared to GW's model holder
  • Removing a model is about the same, since without the ABS clip the handle doesn't stay very securely closed with the shims. It technically should be fine if you're actually holding the handle to paint, but it makes me a bit nervous that it'll come loose when you actually put down the handle.
  • The ABS clip holds the handle, and thusly the model in place very securely, which is both a positive and a negative
  • it's a negative because getting the model out means you have to grab the model you've been painting rather than by the base, and it's very easy to drop the model when removing it (which I already did...)
  • Furthermore, to use the finger holder it also requires you use the ABS clip, and given how indecisive I am about painting any particular model and swapping out models around on my holders (I did the pants on this one, lost interest, time to swap out and do the gun on this other model, etc), I'm confident the clip will wear out before anything else, and the bundle doesn't come with extra replacements.

I have another handle come in at some point, the GameEnvy Hobby Holder, I'll post some thoughts once it comes in.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This is great to hear, thank you for sharing. I've actually had a tab open for Garfy's get-a-grip and one for the Game Envy Hobby Holder for over a week now debating picking either of them up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Aranan posted:

This is great to hear, thank you for sharing. I've actually had a tab open for Garfy's get-a-grip and one for the Game Envy Hobby Holder for over a week now debating picking either of them up.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad product, it's functional, just this was my feeling as I was using it

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Would love some thoughts on Babbys first Custodes

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah that's what I'm looking for but I'm not sure what kind of lumens or color I should get. Also I can't seem to find anything like that for $30 in Europe, they're all 60€+.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Speaking to tooling recommendations, could anybody vouch for a simple spray booth on AliExpress? Is it a good idea to have LEDs built in or it's fine not to (especially if you get those overhead lights) ?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Furism posted:

Speaking to tooling recommendations, could anybody vouch for a simple spray booth on AliExpress? Is it a good idea to have LEDs built in or it's fine not to (especially if you get those overhead lights) ?

This is the typical design of the cheapo airbrush spray booths that are out there. There are cheaper out there, but this is the cheapy that's at least pretty decent. I use two of them myself, since I need a larger volume of spray area. They're decently quiet, and work well. I'd hunt around though, there's a million of this type out there under 1000 different brand names, and prices vary hugely for no reason. I've seen them as cheap as $50 in the past.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...arch-mainSearch

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got an airbrush hood and the fan is an unacceptable 70db. That's literally louder than my old dryer. I wonder if I can replace the fan with a high cfm noctua pc fan instead, those aren't that loud

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got an airbrush hood and the fan is an unacceptable 70db. That's literally louder than my old dryer. I wonder if I can replace the fan with a high cfm noctua pc fan instead, those aren't that loud

Which brand/style did you get? It takes some crazy engineering to get an extractor fan up to 70db.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Which brand/style did you get? It takes some crazy engineering to get an extractor fan up to 70db.

VIVOHOME Portable Airbrush Paint... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X9M35VJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Maybe I can smother it with some sound proofing foam, even dampening it by 20db would be preferable...

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Thanks! Great advice as usual, you're the man.

Although it's very funny that AliExpress wants me to use FedEx for this. $192 for shipping a $72 product. I'll find an identical one from a different vendor, thanks!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i use a big cardboard box that i have difficulty seeing inside

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenBuckanneer posted:

VIVOHOME Portable Airbrush Paint... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X9M35VJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Maybe I can smother it with some sound proofing foam, even dampening it by 20db would be preferable...

Weird. I guess they cheaped out on the fan, despite the form factor being the same as mine. Not sure of the exact decibel level mine runs at, but it's quieter than the extractor fan in my bathroom ceiling.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
After 8 months and a crippling back injury, I've finally finished a bunch of lizards and a fox thing:

I'm pretty happy with the former but the latter was just really difficult and didn't turn out well imo. I don't like the way the white turned out, and the model is just so big and fiddly with weird hard-to-reach bits that it's impossible to hold and paint comfortably, even with sub assemblies, so I kinda phoned in a lot of the details. Still not very good at mini photography either but I think I'm improving at least.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

God I love me some Seraphon. That's some real good poo poo, Anti-Tachyon.

Floating Goatman with the Bow and Arrow is awesome too.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

With a vaulted ceiling in a studio apartment, can't really do that easily without disrupting the other half. Speaking of which, I need to figure out a way to put some curtains up on a 6' tall ceiling...

Like, it's a cool idea, but my overall feedback:

• Pretty light, might consider dremeling a hole to put a weight on the base. Though, personally I feel like it should have been part of the design.
  • Adding a model in the shims is a bit clunky. actually putting in a regular old space marine was a little bit clumsy of an operation compared to GW's model holder
  • Removing a model is about the same, since without the ABS clip the handle doesn't stay very securely closed with the shims. It technically should be fine if you're actually holding the handle to paint, but it makes me a bit nervous that it'll come loose when you actually put down the handle.
  • The ABS clip holds the handle, and thusly the model in place very securely, which is both a positive and a negative
  • it's a negative because getting the model out means you have to grab the model you've been painting rather than by the base, and it's very easy to drop the model when remo ving it (which I already did...)
  • Furthermore, to use the finger holder it also requires you use the ABS clip, and given how indecisive I am about painting any particular model and swapping out models around on my holders (I did the pants on this one, lost interest, time to swap out and do the gun on this other model, etc), I'm confident the clip will wear out before anything else, and the bundle doesn't come with extra replacements.

I have another handle come in at some point, the GameEnvy Hobby Holder, I'll post some thoughts once it comes in.
I printed a bunch of garfy handles and used them for a batch of kommandos so I have some experience with it as well.
- The DIY version isn't very quick to clamp on and remove from models, it's held together with 3 3mm screws, which don't have to be fully removed but it's still more annoying than a toolless device.
- The shims completely cover the base rims so I have to remove the model to paint the rins black. When I did so, I discovered that when I painted the bases, contrast and oils dripped down between the shims and base and gummed everything up. Not the end of the world, but not a great experience.
+ It's very comfortable to hold, and with a wine cork in the handle it has a fairly decent amount of balance. I really liked the 50mm+ wide rim, I used to to brace against my work surface to paint details.

Overall, it's not something I would be happy paying for, aside from the filament and screws I put into it, but it gave me a better grip than my old batch painting method of pill bottles with double stick tape on top.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Does anyone know a good painter (preferably in the NYC area) taking commissions?

I'm building a dwarf army and have realized I simply do not have the time or motivation to paint it myself.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Moltke posted:

Does anyone know a good painter (preferably in the NYC area) taking commissions?

I'm building a dwarf army and have realized I simply do not have the time or motivation to paint it myself.

PMed you

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just got this as a late x-mas gift, and I was thinking of these colors

I want to try and do it justice, and the gradients look like a decent challenge. What would be the thread's suggestion?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want to try and do it justice, and the gradients look like a decent challenge. What would be the thread's suggestion?

Airbrushing, but I’ve seen someone get a similar effect using brushes. Check out shige matsui on Instagram https://instagram.com/shige_matsui?utm_medium=copy_link

His videos might be illuminating, especially his goku

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
you can also drybrush that but its a forbidden jutsu the hokage forbides anyone from doing

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Airbrushing, but I’ve seen someone get a similar effect using brushes. Check out shige matsui on Instagram https://instagram.com/shige_matsui?utm_medium=copy_link

His videos might be illuminating, especially his goku

That SSB Goku is redonk

Spanish Manlove posted:

you can also drybrush that but its a forbidden jutsu the hokage forbides anyone from doing

I finally have some brushes I can use for drybrushing so I can give that a shot

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The feathers seem perfect for drybrushing. I did a similar colorscheme on the falcon of this stormast guy:

I believe the exact paints were kantor blue base with temple guard blue drybrushed over, but you'd probably want to add a third paint as a even brighter turquoise on top of that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That SSB Goku is redonk

i did phrase it as a joke but it seriously is a skill that requires practice. thing is that everyone looks down on it and is incredibly surprised when I say stuff like the entire Sif diorama (except for the eyes and sword) was done with makeup brushes. So yeah if you want to use the chocobo as practice go right ahead. The same ideas of volumetric highlights and stuff still apply, just that you're putting paint on in a different way

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That SSB Goku is redonk

If you’re gonna go with dry brushing check out the artis opus dry brushing videos on YouTube. The scheme you posted has a strong metallicy gradient that could def be achieved with dry brushing and I think those videos could be a solid guide to achieve the effect.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

i did phrase it as a joke but it seriously is a skill that requires practice. thing is that everyone looks down on it and is incredibly surprised when I say stuff like the entire Sif diorama (except for the eyes and sword) was done with makeup brushes. So yeah if you want to use the chocobo as practice go right ahead. The same ideas of volumetric highlights and stuff still apply, just that you're putting paint on in a different way

Yeah, as I've added a few more makeup brushes to my repertoire (read: stolen my wife's used brushes) I've come to realize how much control you can have over how you drybrush. It's finnicky at first, and requires some patience but the few times I've experimented I've been pretty happy with the results, as rough as they were.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 15, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The shape of your makeup brush also affects how you drybrush. The circular ones with the pointy middles like the artist opus brushes are good for general work. The ones that are flat like a shovel are really good for catching edges. Circular but flat ones are good for stippling.

Good thing that you can get makeup brushes in a variety of shapes for cheap.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

The shape of your makeup brush also affects how you drybrush. The circular ones with the pointy middles like the artist opus brushes are good for general work. The ones that are flat like a shovel are really good for catching edges. Circular but flat ones are good for stippling.

Good thing that you can get makeup brushes in a variety of shapes for cheap.

Good enough?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Actually yes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
#1 is an ok general brush
#2 is a good one for catching hard edges
#3 is better for surfaces and stippling but is probably your workhorse once you get the hang of drybrushing and mixing paint on the bristles. this is your masterclass all purpose tool.
#4 is like #1 but a big boy. this is for general light touch catching edges or for lightly applying color filters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Patriot 105, it's dual action but mine has never acted as such. I've messed with the needle, I see a lot of "push forward till you feel resistance" but it feels the same all the way through. I pull the trigger back and nothing happens. Push down and it fires full blast no matter where the needle is. Any ideas on how to manage this?