Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Search Party's first season is playing the long game. It can be tiresome because the characters are tiresome and the show keeps you aligned with their perspective. That, and the low stakes drama, means the show can feel really stifling. But it's all super purposeful and pointed, and it's the right choice to make for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Really liking Peacemaker so far, but a big part of it is that I just don't know how this oddball cast of characters will handle any given situation. It's quite out there.

EDIT: The opening dance number has to be seen to believed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LKNlpG4bro

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 14, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah the opening Dance number for Peacemaker is loving amazing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched the first season of Search Party when it aired, and thought it was solidly okay up until the reveal at the end of the season finale where their friend hadn't actually been in any danger and the whole premise of the show had just been Alia Shawkat inventing things out of nothing, which I thought was genuinely hilarious. But then I just never got around to keeping up with the subsequent seasons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chairman Capone posted:

I watched the first season of Search Party when it aired, and thought it was solidly okay up until the reveal at the end of the season finale where their friend hadn't actually been in any danger and the whole premise of the show had just been Alia Shawkat inventing things out of nothing, which I thought was genuinely hilarious. But then I just never got around to keeping up with the subsequent seasons.

That's pretty much the theme of the rest of the series, for what it's worth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN5TD4VRcSM

New Korean zombie show.

You guys have any theories on why Korean shows and movies do so well over here? I have no idea what media production in ROK looks like, but they seem to be regularly churning out programming that American audiences eat up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN5TD4VRcSM

New Korean zombie show.

You guys have any theories on why Korean shows and movies do so well over here? I have no idea what media production in ROK looks like, but they seem to be regularly churning out programming that American audiences eat up.

I have no idea but Happiness was great, ill definitely give this a watch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
MORE JUSTIFIED INCOMING

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1482020833879117829?s=21

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh baby

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Live view of my reaction to that news

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

As much as I love Raylan, I'd rather a show built around Rachel and Tim, give them their moment in the sun :argh:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Now that is sequel news I can get behind

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh hell yes. I hope they bring as much of the cast back as makes sense except for Art.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Is Yellowstone or 1883 any good? Hoping to scratch the itch left by Justified

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1482034776349495296

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Is Yellowstone or 1883 any good? Hoping to scratch the itch left by Justified

They ain't gonna scratch that itch.

Curious how Yost in the boys are gonna have Boyd bust out of prison and join up with the Detroit mob but THEY loving BETTER

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yellowstone is rancher crime drama for boomers

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Yellowstone is rancher crime drama for boomers

My dad loves it so this tracks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you need more Justified I'd say Banshee is the only thing that will scratch that itch.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

They go off loving hard from that premise though in the following two seasons, well until season four bombs it all anyway.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

I liked the Proud family. I think

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

howe_sam posted:

As much as I love Raylan, I'd rather a show built around Rachel and Tim, give them their moment in the sun :argh:

They probably would've had more to do if they didn't keep Walton Goggins around after the pilot. He was so electrifying as Boyd Crowder.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm on episode 4 of Archive 81, and so far it just makes me want to re-listen to the podcast, but maybe it will improve.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A reboot/revisit/prequel/origin story/sequel because Hollywood ran out of ideas I'm actually interested in? :aaa:

Sign me up. I wondered about something like this when they put 1950s Raylan Givens into the last season of Fargo (which I didn't finish because that show's gotten too far up its own rear end).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

What the crap????

Ugh, it's gonna be Sam's kid or something.

I think this could be fun and QL could use a reboot and I will unconditionally love it because QL is awesome.

Comet has been showing repeats and I just remember how much I love it and if you stick the premise of cycling through different show genre's with occasional brushes with the past and social commentary I will be happy.

I do admit it would be hard to replace Stockwell/Bakula chemistry though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Forget about justified, here's the show we've all been waiting for

https://www.cbr.com/disney-plus-tim-allen-santa-clause-series/

quote:

Tim Allen reprises his role as Scott Calvin for The Santa Clause, a Disney+ series serving as a sequel to the trilogy of films

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Okay but the first movie actually was pretty good as a holiday kid's movie.

That they were considering casting bradley whitford as the therapist stepdad is such a missed opportunity.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

A reboot/revisit/prequel/origin story/sequel because Hollywood ran out of ideas I'm actually interested in? :aaa:

If they just keep adapting Leonard books then I'd be happy if they kept doing them forever.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How did that perry mason series turn out

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

How did that perry mason series turn out

I thought it was good on the whole but had a problem where the tone was all over the place.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm looking forward to season 2. I'm a sucker for detective stories.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started meh, got pretty drat good, then slightly whiffed the finale. The Knick creators have taken over as showrunners for season 2, so I’m optimistic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

muscles like this! posted:

I thought it was good on the whole but had a problem where the tone was all over the place.

I'm still baffled about the chuch storyline and its place in the series. Also the budget was absurdly high that they must have wasted a ton on unnecessary stuff like the war flashbacks.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

New Justified is the first time I've been genuinely excited about a TV show for years.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat…..you’ve been missing out on a bunch of great shows

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Justified, we've been rewatching Sex and the City just as our background show, and I've forgotten how many "before they're famous" actors are in it. Just in the first four episodes they have Timothy Olyphant, H. Jon Benjamin, Remy Auberjonois, Gabriel Macht, and probably others I just don't know.

It still shocks me that Giuliani was never on the show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

zoux posted:

It happens. I only like one thing the Wachowskis ever did.
I know Speed Racer is amazing but you really should give The Matrix (1999) a try!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is that the sunglasses one

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Is that the sunglasses one

You're thinking of Mortal Kombat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

zoux posted:

They ain't gonna scratch that itch.

Curious how Yost in the boys are gonna have Boyd bust out of prison and join up with the Detroit mob but THEY loving BETTER

That would be ridiculous and silly and oh my God that had better do it it's not Justified('s spinoff show based on another Elmore Leonard novel featuring Raylan) without Boyd Crowder! :argh: