Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Zenostein posted:

Karabiner will let you remap keys for specific keyboards, and you can set it to do keyboard shortcuts. Assuming there's a shortcut for whatever you want, it's fairly straightforward.

You should be able to set arbitrary zones to snap windows. For example you could have a zone to snap text edit to the left, and a second zone to snap it to the upper right; the zones would only show if you held a key and dragged the window and it'd snap if you stopped dragging in those zones.

Of course, now that I've mentioned it and went to check, for some reason I can't get the snapping configurator to show up in BTT. Seems like for the basic snapping it's just the corners of the screen, though?
It’s called Snap Areas and the option should be available through the Menu Bar icon for BST in its own section with Create/Edit/etc. I use them all the time and they were still working when I set up my new work MacBook Pro a few weeks back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Mercurius posted:

It’s called Snap Areas and the option should be available through the Menu Bar icon for BST in its own section with Create/Edit/etc. I use them all the time and they were still working when I set up my new work MacBook Pro a few weeks back.

Yeah, it's the same in BTT, but for some reason the submenu just won't display for me. I suppose I'll need to dig through it heir forums to find the right caches to kill or something. I just hadn't noticed it missing because I rarely actually resize windows once I've got them in the right spot.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bob Morales posted:

Wha age do you let your kids have iPads and poo poo? My son is 16 months and goes nuts if he sees a laptop and if I take my eyes off him for two seconds he digs my iPad out and tries to operate it.

I want to stick it in an otter box and show him how to use it but I don't want to totally screw him up.

This probably isn't the best thread, but for one personal anecdote;
From around 12-18 months we gave our kids iPads, but we limited access to them, and even now that they are 5 and 7 we still don't let them have Youtube.

This won't apply to you yet, but I also got some old iMacs so they could do Kid Pix and Reader Rabbit. In my experience, the 90s edutainment is way better at actually providing some klind of value (even if it's probably not technically educational) than iPad apps. Makes sense, since they had to sell those things, in boxes, to parents and schools for $30-40.

The biggest problem I found was before the kid can read there's very little software of any value, apart from button pushing simulators.
Even Angry Birds has loving ads every few mintues that you can't purchase to get rid of.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 6, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd probably do quite well with a PC running DOSbox and some 90s-era educational titles, at least stuff of that age isn't going to be poisoned by loot crates or whatever. Get the whole Broderbund back catalogue on there.

Edit: Not at 16 months though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

~Coxy posted:

This won't apply to you yet, but I also got some old iMacs so they could do Kid Pix and Reader Rabbit. In my experience, the 90s edutainment is way better at actually providing some klind of value (even if it's probably not technically educational) than iPad apps. Makes sense, since they had to sell those things, in boxes, to parents and schools for $30-40.

When he's 3-4 I plan on giving him the whole Number Munchers, Math Blaster, etc that we had as kids. It'd be nice to get a chonky Apple II but probably more trouble than it's worth.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Wha age do you let your kids have iPads and poo poo? My son is 16 months and goes nuts if he sees a laptop and if I take my eyes off him for two seconds he digs my iPad out and tries to operate it.

I want to stick it in an otter box and show him how to use it but I don't want to totally screw him up.

When my kids were about 3 and 5 we got them the cheap Kindle Fires with the colorful foam rubber case around them and signed up for Kindle FreeTime so they could play and download all the games they wanted without ads or additional fees because they get bored quickly and constantly downloading new ones. Eventually they used them just to play Minecraft pocket edition until the devices were too dated to be useful and we upgraded to the cheapest iPads. They were around 8 and 10 at this point and have had iPads ever since, set up on our family iCloud account so we have to approve all app downloads and we put screen time and app limits on them. This has worked great because now they are old enough to have iPhones and updated iPads and the transition was seamless, we just allow them more freedom as they get older and are aware of the consequences.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple Arcade is pretty nice if you have kids. A large collection of games with no ads, no in-app purchases and all features unlocked.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
the new oregon trail on apple arcade is pretty dang good and has some interesting educational tidbits

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

Very sorry she won't be getting COVID?????

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alright, this was a lovely post. I don't think we need to hash out COVID remote learning in this thread. I'm not saying we can't discuss COVID in SH/SC, as it's obviously pervasive to our society and affects the tech world, but we don't need to start the conversation off with a lovely, low-effort snipe.

So let's cool it for now, and if you want to continue discussing COVID, might I suggest the COVID thread in D&D here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979298

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Remember how iOS used to use up all your free storage space with cached bullshit with no way obvious to clear it out? It seems like macOS does this now as well.

code:
$ df -hl
Filesystem                                                    Size   Used  Avail Capacity iused       ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/disk1s5s1                                               113Gi   21Gi   19Gi    53%  553788  1181264652    0%   /
/dev/disk1s4                                                 113Gi   24Ki   19Gi     1%       0  1181818440    0%   /System/Volumes/VM
/dev/disk1s2                                                 113Gi  414Mi   19Gi     3%    2248  1181816192    0%   /System/Volumes/Preboot
/dev/disk1s6                                                 113Gi  110Mi   19Gi     1%     447  1181817993    0%   /System/Volumes/Update
/dev/disk1s1                                                 113Gi   72Gi   19Gi    80%  754680  1181063760    0%   /System/Volumes/Data

$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *121.3 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         121.0 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +121.0 GB   disk1
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD - Data     77.8 GB    disk1s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 434.5 MB   disk1s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                625.7 MB   disk1s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      24.6 KB    disk1s4
   5:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            22.1 GB    disk1s5
   6:              APFS Snapshot com.apple.os.update-... 22.1 GB    disk1s5s1
I don't entirely know what you make of this anymore, but let's just go with I have 19GB free. Before I rebooted 5 mintues ago, it said I had 700MB free, and my computer pretty much stopped working. This is from "About This Mac"

Amazingly, I just copied 13GB of files from an external flash drive onto my internal, but "used" and "free" values only changed by 4GB :psyduck: I really don't understand what is going on or how I can "fix" it without rebooting. Just randomly running out of storage space (but not actually) is annoying as heck. Is anyone else experiencing this and know what to do? Mac mini (2018) FWIW.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
You could try using something like daisy disk to see if you can get a clearer picture of what’s going on.

https://daisydiskapp.com

In my experience ‘other’ is usually local Time Machine snapshots which the OS should clean up on its own but rarely actually does. You can run ‘tmutil listlocalsnapshots /‘ to get a list of any local snapshots.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OK, that's definitely part of it, if not entirely it. There were 2 snapshots. I deleted them both, and my "free space" went from 15.12 (down from 15.8 when I made that post), back up to 16.06 immediately. About 15 minutes later I'm up to 29GB, which seems more reasonable. Other dropped from 54GB to 41GB. Besides temporary files, I don't actually store anything on this internal SSD, because it's too small to bother. Everything is external.

Found 6GBs of something for OneDrive (truly terrible btw). I might just disable TimeMachine, as in the last ~30 minutes it's gone and taken back 6GB already. I can't remember the last time I even used it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spaced ninja posted:

You could try using something like daisy disk to see if you can get a clearer picture of what’s going on.

https://daisydiskapp.com

In my experience ‘other’ is usually local Time Machine snapshots which the OS should clean up on its own but rarely actually does. You can run ‘tmutil listlocalsnapshots /‘ to get a list of any local snapshots.

The filesystem cleans it up as it needs it.

This is one of those who gives a poo poo cases. It has absolutely ZERO impact on the machine. In fact the only impact it seems to have is to make people overly janitor their computers to stroke out that number don't change.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Honestly I think the real problem is macOS jumping through hoops to try and janitor the disk itself because that 128GB SSD is tiny.

I know it was mentioned that most of the actual data is on external storage but the 50GB of time machine backup usage or whatever it was isn’t coming from nowhere so there’s clearly enough stuff happening that macOS isn’t happy.

I’m not sure whether that model of Mini has the SSD soldered onto the board but if not I’d probably be suggesting upgrading that as the first step.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Family member has a 2015 MacBook Air and doesn't seem to want a new machine, but I don't them running an old OS with security vulnerabilities -- do the newest OSes run okay on older machines, or which release do peeps here usually like to run on machines like these?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was running Big Sur on a 2013 MacBook Pro and the performance was reasonable. I also wiped and reinstalled Big Sur onto a 2014 11" Air about a year ago when I sold it and the new owner seemed happy enough with it.

A big influence on your decision will be if they run any old software. If it's just used for web browsing and typing documents in Pages then you'll be fine.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Guitarchitect posted:

Is there a piece of software (or native way) to bind google meet shortcuts to better/easier keys? "Option+D" to unmute, and god knows what to raise hand, isn't going to cut it. I found one chrome plugin that turns the spacebar into a virtual "walkie talkie" button but when she wants to talk or show and share, she needs to fully unmute. My thinking is that I will just set up a USB numeric keypad with little icons on it, as long as i can somehow bind the keys to act as the shortcuts. Does that make sense - and if so what app/software/native function would I use to set that up?

If the Air has function key (not a Touch Bar) you can set those to other key combos natively.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/remap-macs-function-keys-anything-want/

For a small external keyboard (you could put stickers on the keys) then Karabiner is free and will let you remap keys to key commands.
https://karabiner-elements.pqrs.org/docs/manual/configuration/configure-simple-modifications/

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Does virtualbox not do nat anymore on the latest Mac OS?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I have a "Microsoft Wireless 3050 Desktop" keyboard and mouse set. The letter keys work fine but a lot of the extra keys do weird things. Is there any software that will let me choose what those keys do? I can't find any current drivers for MacOS.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jaegerx posted:

Bridge mode is broken in Monterey isn't it?

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

I have a "Microsoft Wireless 3050 Desktop" keyboard and mouse set. The letter keys work fine but a lot of the extra keys do weird things. Is there any software that will let me choose what those keys do? I can't find any current drivers for MacOS.

Karabiner Elements is always worth a try for anything keyboard related.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

jaegerx posted:

Bob Morales posted:

Bridge mode is broken in Monterey isn't it?

Not sure if this would apply to your use case, but VMware Fusion is now free for personal use. I've had no problems with it on Monterey.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Well I finally have a use for tags and they don't loving work for the simple thing I'm trying to do. I want to create a Smart Folder pointing at a specific folder on my NAS and only display files tagged red. This works great for folders on my local hard drive. It even works great if I do a Finder search and specify the NAS folder and red tag. But if I click "Save" in that Finder search of the NAS folder and save that query as a Smart Folder, it blanks out and always returns no results. It's literally the same exact search criteria! The NAS is not blacklisted in Spotlight's privacy panel and if I open working and non-working Smart Folders in a text editor they are exactly the same outside of the path.

Edit: I find people complaining about this dating back to at least 2015 in various support sites. The workaround is to add a keyword to the filename and search for that? Bullshit!

I've also tried building a folder index on the NAS using the Synology software and that doesn't fix it either.

Edit2: "Use Finder to search within mounted folders. Spotlight on the Mac desktop can only be used to search for local files. On Mac OS X 10.9 and later versions, Finder supports searching within mounted folders by tag name and category."

https://kb.synology.com/en-id/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/file_winmacnfs_mac?version=6

So Finder search working but Spotlight (and therefore Smart Folders) not is a known thing? Argh.

Violator fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 14, 2022

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CygnusTM posted:

Not sure if this would apply to your use case, but VMware Fusion is now free for personal use. I've had no problems with it on Monterey.

Oh I’ll have to check that out. I rarely use vms on my Mac since I have an esxi server and the cloud but I needed one real quick. I ended up just ssh tunneling and gave up on bridged and nat.

It could’ve been a vagrant thing though but the same one worked on Linux so whatever.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a way to control my Apple Music playing on my iPhone and vice vera? I know with Spotify, you can use either as a remote for the other, but I'd love the ability with Apple Music as well.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

You can use the Remote app to control your Music app on MacOS, but I don’t know if a way to do it the other way around.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a way to control my Apple Music playing on my iPhone and vice vera? I know with Spotify, you can use either as a remote for the other, but I'd love the ability with Apple Music as well.

Apple expects you to buy an apple watch for the privilege of controlling your apple music on the go

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Apple expects you to buy an apple watch for the privilege of controlling your apple music on the go

I also have an Apple Watch. It’s just actually easy with Spotify, you just open the app and any divide can control the one playing music. Was hoping for similar functionality

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KKKLIP ART posted:

I also have an Apple Watch. It’s just actually easy with Spotify, you just open the app and any divide can control the one playing music. Was hoping for similar functionality

Another option you could try is this

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205644

which is still less optimal than spotify remote control

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
In the Apple Watch Music app sometimes it will take you directly to control of your phone, but if not you just have to scroll a bit and there is an “On iPhone” button.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Reported in November and still not fixed. Not a good look - or am I missing something?

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/01/16/safari-15-webkit-indexeddb-bug/

edit: i'm late to the party. someone's already posted about it in the infosec thread

Xabi fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 17, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Has anybody got experience with Spotlight and custom .mdimporter bundles?

I posted some time ago about trying to find a good Markdown editor — the problem I'm having now is that Spotlight won't index the content of Markdown files, making any attempt at using #tags or anything beyond very basic organisation impossible. I found a page here on using a custom importer but as far as I can tell it simply doesn't work anymore; no matter where I place the drat thing it won't show up in the list produced by mdimport -L.

Indexing plain text seems like it should really be a solved problem at this point, and once again I'm left tearing my hair out wondering what the gently caress the workflows of Apple coders look like (all just using Notes.app?)

Violator
May 15, 2003

Good Lord the hoops you have to jump through to get a link to open in a new window or tab in the current Space. I had to:

1. Create a Safari Helper.app using Script Editor using this script: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/250919/how-do-make-a-link-open-in-a-specific-safari-window-in-macos
2. Install Finicky to intercept link clicks and then configure my Safari Helper as the default browser.

Now every time I click a link, this little gray app bounces in my dock but now links open in the current Space instead a space three screens over. This is loving stupid.

Violator
May 15, 2003

TACD posted:

Has anybody got experience with Spotlight and custom .mdimporter bundles?

I just tested searching for some text in a markdown file and Spotlight returned results because I have the Nova code editor installed. Can you look at support for the markdown editor you picked and see if it has Spotlight integration?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
A fun thing that happens is that if I have a tab group on my laptop and iPad open at the same time and the laptop is asleep and I am in a different room and I start a video on the iPad, it will start the video on both machines, causing sound to come out of the laptop (but not waking the screen).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

A fun thing that happens is that if I have a tab group on my laptop and iPad open at the same time and the laptop is asleep and I am in a different room and I start a video on the iPad, it will start the video on both machines, causing sound to come out of the laptop (but not waking the screen).

Thanks for the heads up, if you know what I mean.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Violator posted:

I just tested searching for some text in a markdown file and Spotlight returned results because I have the Nova code editor installed. Can you look at support for the markdown editor you picked and see if it has Spotlight integration?
Huh, I have Nova as well and now that I've tried it again it does seem like it works; I thought #tags weren't showing but it just took a looong time.

What still isn't working though is searching inside TextBundles, which I will need to figure out.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Zenostein posted:

Yeah, it's the same in BTT, but for some reason the submenu just won't display for me. I suppose I'll need to dig through it heir forums to find the right caches to kill or something. I just hadn't noticed it missing because I rarely actually resize windows once I've got them in the right spot.

Just in case someone else was like me and the option for snap areas wasn't showing up in BTT (or any other option you swear existed at some point):

It turns out I had disabled the feature at some point. However, the switch to enable/disable the context menu for snap areas is only in the "Old UI," so you'd need to:
  • uncheck the option to use the "New Configuration UI by default" (because doing so removes the option to use the old UI at all, for some reason);
  • find the appropriate option and select it;
  • and then optionally switch back to using the new ui by default.

Probably a useful troubleshooting step if anyone else has trouble finding something in BTT.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If I have Safari open in Space 1, something else in Space 2, and Discord fullscreen in Space 3, and click a link in Discord, it will open in Safari in Space 1 but Discord will move itself over to become Space 2 and Space 2 will be shunted right. Can the Space reordering behaviour be disabled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Fedule posted:

If I have Safari open in Space 1, something else in Space 2, and Discord fullscreen in Space 3, and click a link in Discord, it will open in Safari in Space 1 but Discord will move itself over to become Space 2 and Space 2 will be shunted right. Can the Space reordering behaviour be disabled?

There's a checkbox to automatically rearrange spaces based on use in the mission control prefpane. Unchecking that ought to do the trick.