Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I feel like these are very different things, though. The Looney Tunes of old would make jokes referencing what was popular at the time (and kids like me watching them decades later wouldn't even know the things they were referencing, so the jokes would still have to stand on their own, or at least be sort of silly).

Animaniacs (the 90's version, and the new, surprisingly good version) makes references to things popular that kids and/or adults will get, just like Looney Tunes used to. That's not what the new Space Jam movie does.

This 100% Most of the stuff in Looney Tunes that was referencing other things still managed to be funny to me as a kid despite not having a single clue about what they were referring to, or that they were referring to anything in particular.

Classic Simpsons also was very good at that. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ZfVe7sJDQ

I had no idea that was a reference to It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World when I first saw that moment as a clip, but I still found it funny as all hell.

Oooohhh, and speaking of cramming together IP for the hell of it....

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Drint Blasters posted:

Listening to The Matrix WLM currently and they've completely slid into "old man yells at cloud" territory. Cabin preferring Reloaded Burly Brawl fights scenes to modern "Marvel" scenes is ridiculous. Then making GBS threads on the Animatrix.
Get the gently caress outta here

They've talked poo poo about the Animatrix before and rightfully so. One of those cartoons is good. The rest are boring and forgettable.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I have to say the funniest part of the episode was it took them until the last 30 minutes as Andrew said "and then they get to the court" for me to realize they hadn't even gotten to the loving basketball game yet! They spend the entire time railing against the IP poo poo and "getting the band back together". That is not a complaint, btw, episode was great.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I saw Matrix reloaded opening day at 11:00 am, because I loved the first movie. I was bored out of my mind, the fight scenes looked like poo poo, and the story was crap . I left the theater and there was a huge line of people waiting to go in. I loudly said, ‘well that loving sucked’ and you could hear hope leaving the room. The M4trix is terrible, and it just continued the tradition of Matrix sequels being terrible. Comparing a Marvel movie to Reloaded is peak, ‘Marvel is ruining CINEMA!’ Nonsense, a take I can go the rest of my life without hear again.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Not only did he burly brawl look like a CGI poo poo bowl but it was shot badly too. Just a mish mash of fabric textures and cement. Just awful in every way and in no way better than anything than the MCU has done.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Sorry, Chris is right, Burly Brawl is way better shot/more interesting than basically all MCU action scenes. The CGI hasn't aged the best, but there's less of it than you remember and it honestly doesn't look much worse than the final fight in Black Panther, where two digital puppets punch each other in a video game level.

(Although, to that movie's credit, I think the South Korea sequence is one of the better action set-pieces in a Marvel movie.)

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Absolutely. For whatever reason Chris used to be my least favorite of the WHM crew but lately I’ve realized I almost always agree with his takes

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I can remember a bunch of action beats from the Burly Brawl fight and that's more than I can say for a lot of other fight scenes in modern films. Like all the cool poo poo he does with that metal pole, running around the Smith circle, kicking it into one and bouncing back into his hands, and when he breaks off that concrete on the end of it.

Compare that to the previously mentioned Black Panther fight that I couldn't tell you anything about other than the setting and I don't even care what the CGI looks like, The Matrix has rhythm and style. But to be clear, the CGI in that scene does look like hot garbage. It's not better than every single MCU fight scene but the idea that it's also worse then all of them is equally insane to me.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the Burly Brawl is remembered more for just the sheer idea of Keanu Reeves vs. 100 Hugo Weavings even though I personally found the freeway chase to be the better and more memorable "big spectacle" scene, at least in my mind.

Maybe I was just more impressed with them building a 1:1 scale model freeway for it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSprkzio_pE

It legit looks like a cut scene from a PS3 game. This is trash. This is dog poo poo.

I cannot take the opinion of someone seriously when then defends this. I am sorry.

It's like people who defend the Star Wars prequels but then poo poo on Last Jedi. It's a good way to tell whose opinion is disconnected from reality.

But, you know; opinions vary and it's okay to like a movie and blah blah blah

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

enigmahfc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSprkzio_pE

It legit looks like a cut scene from a PS3 game. This is trash. This is dog poo poo.

I cannot take the opinion of someone seriously when then defends this. I am sorry.

It's like people who defend the Star Wars prequels but then poo poo on Last Jedi. It's a good way to tell whose opinion is disconnected from reality.

But, you know; opinions vary and it's okay to like a movie and blah blah blah

Again, nobody's saying the 2003 CGI still holds up, it clearly doesn't. But in terms of how the action's choreographed and filmed, this is still way more memorable and dynamic then most of what gets made now! Plus, there's like 3 minutes of fighting before this clip that's mostly practical/wire-work.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
It rocks that the thread always goes on a tangent where someone gets mad the gang doesn't like Marvel movies or talks about sex too much.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Again, nobody's saying the 2003 CGI still holds up, it clearly doesn't. But in terms of how the action's choreographed and filmed, this is still way more memorable and dynamic then most of what gets made now! Plus, there's like 3 minutes of fighting before this clip that's mostly practical/wire-work.

:agreed: If this was an actual video game cutscene I'd still have fond memories of it. But the way people talk about it, you'd think it was an unholy hybrid of CGI Rock in Mummy 2 and the barrel sequence from The Hobbit 2.

Hell, they even used a bunch of Smith look-alike real stunt doubles for a few shots, so it's not all CGI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJi5B5SmVx4

If this scene was made these days, you can bet it would be just Keanu Reeves flailing at nothing in a green screen studio followed by a bunch of wage slave VFX artists working 12 hour days to CG everything else in post and the editor chopping the result into a zillion quick cuts.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 13, 2022

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Harry Privates posted:

It rocks that the thread always goes on a tangent where someone gets mad the gang doesn't like Marvel movies or talks about sex too much.

I hate when people talk about stuff that comes up on the show.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

It's ok to like a movie scene.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 13, 2022

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

lmao, seeing this in this thread makes me realize he sounds like some sort of bad WHM impression

I will admit that I am also a big Blank Check fan and after listening to David Sims proselytize about the Matrix sequels for hours I've come to start defending them a lot myself, if only because it's actually a lot more fun for me than hating them. They're just so weird.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Slightly related, I'm shocked they haven't done an episode on the movie Blank Check yet. It's such 90s kid power schlock and a huge case of "what are you watching?".

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Ror posted:

I will admit that I am also a big Blank Check fan and after listening to David Sims proselytize about the Matrix sequels for hours I've come to start defending them a lot myself, if only because it's actually a lot more fun for me than hating them. They're just so weird.

Same. I hope the Wachowskis never stop getting to make their weird, flawed, hyper-earnest epics. Even the worst of the lot are so much more memorable than another hollowed-out vehicle for the Rock or Gal Gadot or whoever.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leatherhead posted:

Same. I hope the Wachowskis never stop getting to make their weird, flawed, hyper-earnest epics. Even the worst of the lot are so much more memorable than another hollowed-out vehicle for the Rock or Gal Gadot or whoever.

Yeah some of their output may be terrible or not interesting to me or w/e but I appreciate that they try.

Also their live-action Speed Racer was great.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Angry_Ed posted:

I feel like the Burly Brawl is remembered more for just the sheer idea of Keanu Reeves vs. 100 Hugo Weavings even though I personally found the freeway chase to be the better and more memorable "big spectacle" scene, at least in my mind.

Maybe I was just more impressed with them building a 1:1 scale model freeway for it.

It’s because the freeway chase scene is legit great. Maybe not “redefine cinema” great like the fights in the first movie were, but that was never going to happen. The freeway chase is a fantastic scene that is pushing the CGI of the time to its limits, and has actual stakes. The Burly Brawl is none of those things.

Like, I’ve had an almost 100% about face on the Matrix sequels in recent years. I hated them when they came out. Partially due to expectations, and partially due to being an annoying rear end in a top hat in college. They’re good movies. But the Burly Brawl is awful. It didn’t “age poorly”, it always looked bad. I’m not even comparing it to any Marvel movie, which have completely different issues. The Brawl looks terrible and has zero stakes, because Neo just fucks off when he realizes this is getting him nowhere.

That freeway chase though? The high point of the sequels, by far. :discourse:

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 13, 2022

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I've come around to liking Reloaded more on rewatches. But somehow my opinion of Revolutions has dropped further. God drat is Zion and everyone living there boring.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Correct opinion is that the burly brawl would work if you cut it off right before he picks up the pole and it turns total CG (but it does go on for another several terrible minutes instead)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Yeah, to be fair to the burly brawl scene the first 50% or so of the fight is all practical effects and regular fight choreography, it's just once he picks up the pole it shifts to mostly a lot of continuous cgi dynamic camera shots with all cgi actors, and it goes downhill from there.

Ror posted:

I can remember a bunch of action beats from the Burly Brawl fight and that's more than I can say for a lot of other fight scenes in modern films. Like all the cool poo poo he does with that metal pole, running around the Smith circle, kicking it into one and bouncing back into his hands, and when he breaks off that concrete on the end of it.

Compare that to the previously mentioned Black Panther fight that I couldn't tell you anything about other than the setting and I don't even care what the CGI looks like, The Matrix has rhythm and style. But to be clear, the CGI in that scene does look like hot garbage. It's not better than every single MCU fight scene but the idea that it's also worse then all of them is equally insane to me.

I think part of the reason for why it's more memorable is probably just because of when the Matrix sequels were made, there wasn't really a lot of films doing that type of fight choreography or cgi-heavy dramatic action scenes, and so on. It sticks in people's heads because it might be the only action scene like that they saw in an entire year or several years of cinema. And it's memorable just from being kind of bizarre - Keanu Reeves fights a hundred Hugo Weavings, and then flies away.

In comparison, in the last 3 years of cinema there's probably been what, hundreds of expensive, cgi-heavy action scenes? It's harder to wow people and do something memorable when it's being done every month, and if it's been done every month for the 15+ years.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

What if, and hear me out on this, they’re both bad?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's crazy how blatantly WB just pulled a "Hey we want to do that too" with Space Jam basically being RPO with basketball.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ror posted:

I've been a Revolutions apologist since 2003. It's so much more interesting than Reloaded.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

stromboni posted:

Correct opinion is that the burly brawl would work if you cut it off right before he picks up the pole and it turns total CG (but it does go on for another several terrible minutes instead)

This is totally true from a story point of view, too. Before this, Neo couldn’t escape, so he had to keep fighting. But when he grabbed the pole, he could have flown away instead. So by sticking around and fighting, it turns into a “for fun” fight, especially when Neo just fucks off a few minutes later. Everything from the pole grab (lol) to the fly away is just extra bullshit, which also looks terrible.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I've been a Revolutions apologist since 2003. It's so much more interesting than Reloaded.

I actually agree with this, and I’ve always been confused when people disagree with me. Revolutions at least has an ending, and the fight with Smith has stakes, albeit weird and confusing ones. Reloaded is just kind of there, with no real ending and no stakes to most of the fights, except the freeway chase (which, again, is fantastic).

I just figured it was an expectations thing. I expected Matrix 2 to be amazing, so I hated it at the time. I, then, expected Matrix 3 to be terrible, and I enjoyed it.

Reloaded feels like it ends with “Insert Disc 2”.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I truly expected 'Little Ellen' to be a 90's thing ala Life With Louie, absolutely stunned to hear it was last year

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

I truly expected 'Little Ellen' to be a 90's thing ala Life With Louie, absolutely stunned to hear it was last year

don't forget Roseanne's 90s self-insert cartoon

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

sexpig by night posted:

*eric szyszka-ly* "wait WUT"

Jesus, I haven't listened yet but it really was just a PR move to seem more likable in the face of all those hostile workplace complaints huh

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cael posted:

Jesus, I haven't listened yet but it really was just a PR move to seem more likable in the face of all those hostile workplace complaints huh

And it came out way too late due to the lead time on animation. The perfect final twist of the knife.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cael posted:

The show was originally slated to be released in late 2019. Either this was extremely bad luck or a preemptive PR move (even before the big blowup, Ellen's abusive nature was kind of an open secret).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So this Mortal Kombat thing tonight is only available for Patrons but you still have to buy a ticket to watch?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

explosivo posted:

So this Mortal Kombat thing tonight is only available for Patrons but you still have to buy a ticket to watch?

Nope, it's available for everyone (when you buy a ticket). I think they are just trying to get the word out as much as possible, so they sent the message via Patreon.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh okay. Dang. I wanted to hear them talk about this movie but the last one of these I paid for was really not super worth the price to basically watch them record an episode of the podcast.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Ellen chat: My roommate still watches Ellen, so when I have a day off, I end up watching as well. It's her final season, but in the hand full of episodes I've seen it's been all guest hosts. I know she still hosts because I see commercials with her talking to someone, but I guess those are reserved for her favorites while Twitch or Davis Spade get to interview the chaff.

Also: lots of old clips from 19 years of Ellen.

explosivo posted:

Oh okay. Dang. I wanted to hear them talk about this movie but the last one of these I paid for was really not super worth the price to basically watch them record an episode of the podcast.

It's only $10 and some change, I probably won't watch live, because I'm a grampy these days, but I'll hit the stream sometime during the week.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ellen still deserves to have a show more than human millipede Wendy Williams

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

:lol:

Wendy Williams caught COVID right before her season started, then had some sort of psych eval, and it's been all guest hosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

counterpoint: none of them deserve to have a show, just put on reruns of Night Court or something.