Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
SMW is too easy and the levels are too long/boring. SMB3 is perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
SMW owns but SMB3 has better level design imo... giant land ftw

American McGay posted:

this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Super Mario Bros 3 sucks so bad the devs give you the magic sandstorm shortcut so you can skip the whole thing

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
A game I considered on the Switch, esp while on sale is CrossCode. I played a little on the PC but it seems great for the switch. I remember liking the combat for what little I played, but I looked up thoughts on it in the past thread and there seems to be a mild consensus that the puzzles themselves are unfun. Are they that annoying to pull off/get past, enough to hinder the experience? Or is the general world/combat enough to carry it?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Buddy let me tell you about Bowser's back door.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Super Mario Bros 3 sucks so bad the devs give you the magic sandstorm shortcut so you can skip the whole thing

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

That'll get you a bust rod

:downsrim:

Morter fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 14, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Any game that people describe as 'the real game doesn't even start until you hit max level' is a bad game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

American McGay posted:

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Morter posted:

A game I considered on the Switch, esp while on sale is CrossCode. I played a little on the PC but it seems great for the switch. I remember liking the combat for what little I played, but I looked up thoughts on it in the past thread and there seems to be a mild consensus that the puzzles themselves are unfun. Are they that annoying to pull off/get past, enough to hinder the experience? Or is the general world/combat enough to carry it?

The pacing of the puzzles is awful and makes it easy to get burned out but the puzzles themselves are generally good. Some require ridiculously tight execution but there is an option to turn down puzzle speed which fixes that. If you didn't like the puzzles you played you probably won't like the game though since dungeons are pretty much entirely puzzles.

The platforming is the really bad part but it's mostly optional. They expect you to make barely possible jumps when one mistake can reset screens of progress and the perspective purposefully makes it hard to tell what elevation platforms are at.

Kagrenac fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 14, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am, a yoshi's island stan

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bust Rodd posted:

How do you keep posting the absolute worst takes in this thread?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the goty award is pointless as the greatest game of all time has already been made and that game is super mario bros 3

Now this goon gets it (though SMW also owns).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bust Rodd posted:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

About to finish ff14 endwalker msq, SMT5 and Metroid dread all of which I’m around the last bosses in

Dunno what it was but I just have not been finishing games in 2021 lol

I think I’ll finally try out loop hero right after all these. Also turns out there are loads of cool CAVE shmups on switch now which I’ve been buying and playing

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Crosscode is a really great game with really bad pacing. You want the player to just about be done with fighting when it's city time, then just about bored of city when it's fighting time again. The whole game is like, 4 towns and 4 dungeons, and every segment way overstays its welcome. If it had been 8 towns and 8 dungeons, but everything was split in half, it would have gone down a lot smoother.

e: Or even if halfway through the dungeon you got a chance to go back to town and save and heal up and talk to some people whose dialogue changes or something, advance the plot then warp back in. I just remember finishing the 3rd dungeon, which by itself took like 5 hours over 3 nights, and just being exhausted by it.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 14, 2022

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Captain Toad and the DLC is on sale on Amazon, I suggest everyone in the thread buy it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there are few mario games that do not own imo. i think new super mario bros can be stale and repetitive but its still a good time alone or with friends

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Captain Toad and the DLC is on sale on Amazon, I suggest everyone in the thread buy it

It's free play days through Jan 20 if you have NSO. You could probably beat it before then. It's great though.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you have nintendo online, you can actually play it for free right now, until the 20th. It's a real good game

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hm... I disagree with people on this one.

It's charming, but it's so. drat. easy.

And even the extra tidbits, the pixel hunts or whatever. It's not challenging. It's a very pretty little game, and the concept is great, but it's not a puzzle game that'll make you think. At most enjoy the ride and the charm, but again, I was just shocked at how easy it was.

I'm not one to talk about "Kidtendo" or whatever, but this was clearly meant for a younger audience. Even Star Allies, which I've said recently was fine but not great, is super easy, but even ignoring it's hard modes, the game has enough substance and call backs that even a more experienced player can just enjoy the action. Captain Toad was a whole lot of simplicity.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I forgot about the NSO Captain Toad thing but also I like physical so I still bought a copy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
thank you for supporting nintendo

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I am, a yoshi's island stan

This goon gets it.

Agreed, Captain Toad is charming, it's just an excellent game all around, everyone should buy it and the DLC.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Libluini posted:

I remember years back when I tried following threads on SA about Diablo or the very similar Path of Exile, and was amazed that 99% of the talk was incomprehensible poo poo about items, collecting items, or trading items. This taught me that apparently, the reason Diablo III and the more cartoonish ARPGs like Torchlight I-III leave me so cold and uninterested was that most people apparently play these games for completely different reasons then me.

diablo 3 doesn't have any item trading. someone's going to point out that it once did, but that was 8 years ago.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Morter posted:

I enjoyed everything about crosscode, and the puzzles were one of my favorite parts. Some people just don't like shooting puzzles.

Oh and I liked the platforming a lot too. Just a fun world to hang out in.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

b_d posted:

diablo 3 doesn't have any item trading. someone's going to point out that it once did, but that was 8 years ago.

get his rear end!!!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

diablo 3 isn't Path of Exile

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

gonna cry?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If I have one complaint about crosscode it's that it's incredibly long. I just don't have a lot of time for long games, but some people do.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Libluini posted:

diablo 3 isn't Path of Exile

your post was about both???

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
All Mario games where you can't play as a catgirl are bad

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
the world has moved past the need for non-catgirl mario games

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

the world has moved past the need for non-catgirl mario games

the world has moved past the need for non-catgirl anything at all.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
please do not get horny for mario

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

please do not get horny for mario

just wait until the movie comes out

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

your post was about both???

yes

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Looper posted:

just wait until the movie comes out

You really think the new movie's going to be better than the old movie for that?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

diablo 2 is really good if you're just high in bed, or anywhere really and just kill things. the atmosphere and music makes it that much better. diablo 3 is poo poo and always has been

e: I also haven't played it in like two months but I just loaded it up and there was a big patch and it runs really well. before all my skellies slowed things down

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

tf u just call me