Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

General question: how many models did you finish last year? 3. I finished 3. My new years resolution is to finish at least 8 kits/projects this year. Wish me luck. For whatever it's worth, I work in in 35th and 1/32 scale almost exclusively.

I made lots of plans, but finished no models. I am finishing up a remodel of my hobby space to make it way more user friendly, and I want to hit the ground running as soon as it's done. I've got lots of plastic and resin to work on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overdude
Mar 8, 2013
Managed to finish this Tamiya StuG IV that's been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A similar concept, but the Mig product is photoetch I believe. Mine were a japanese product called Kamizukuri, which I got from Hobbylink Japan. They're paper sheets of plants, that you paint to your desired shades, and then cut out and glue to a green wire for support.
They look amazing but are probably too fragile for wargaming purposes :(

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

big_g posted:

I am currently starting a 1/350 scale WWII Jap I-400.

Amazing sub design, I love it.

I'm almost done this kit I think. Tamiya, right?

Hi thread, it's been awhile. Covid squished my model making abilities, so I was excited to finally start working on the ol' I-400 again last night.

Also I saw this on the internets and had to share. Done by a Japanese modeller:

1/1200 scale, with lots of 3d printing

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
:aaaaa:

Wow, that is incredible detail. Until the pic with the finger nail in it for some reference I thought it was much larger.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

General question: how many models did you finish last year? 3. I finished 3. My new years resolution is to finish at least 8 kits/projects this year. Wish me luck. For whatever it's worth, I work in in 35th and 1/32 scale almost exclusively.

I managed 9 completed builds last year, but i did move house in the spring and then constructed a whole new build area/workbench, so I'm hoping to get through a bit more of my stash than that in 2022.

In (roughly) chronological order:

Trumpeter 1/72 RA5C Vigilante

Tamiya 1/72 Kawanishi Shiden

PitRoad/Skywave 1/700 JMSDF Onami destroyer (and Toyoshima minesweeper)

Revell 1/72 Spitfire MkIIa, P7982 416 Sqdn RCAF, built for the RAF Peterhead Museum. The aircraft skidded into a snowbank on 6th February 1942 and was subsequently destroyed by a Short Stirling, N6086, which crashed into it the following day. It now lives next to a Stirling another member of my local IPMS club built for the museum.

Hasegawa 1/72 Jaguar GR1 (with aftermarket decals and a bunch of stores and ordnance from the Italeri kit and Revell Tornado GR1)

Hobbyboss 1/72 Grumman Bearcat

MPM/Special Hobby 1/72 X-15A-2

Tamiya 1/700 USS Bogue (with Tom's Modelworks PE)

Tamiya 1/72 Mosquito Mk VI (my grandad was navigator in this specific aircraft over the North Sea during the war attacking German shipping so I had to do a bit of research to get all the markings and codes right)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
My wife's ex-boyfriend's dad was a huge scale modeler once upon a time. He had a room with shelves chock-full of completed models and literal stacks upon stacks of boxed to-be-done models on the floor. Had to be at least two hundred complete and three or four hundred not done. Lots of cars, some tanks and poo poo.

I have exactly one under my belt, a Spitfire I got from Walmart (along with all paints and glues) and totally hosed up. It ended up painted somewhere between diarrhea and desert brown with a blue canopy because I can't fine-paint worth a drat. Landing gear was nested in the wing because I sucked at gluing and couldn't get it to stay vertical for display. Babby's first model type poo poo, wish I had pics.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

tidal wave emulator posted:

Tamiya 1/72 Mosquito Mk VI (my grandad was navigator in this specific aircraft over the North Sea during the war attacking German shipping so I had to do a bit of research to get all the markings and codes right)

Dude, a Mosquito would be cool enough on its own, but building your grandpa's exact plane is a hell of a flex

I hope if he's still around you've shown it to him

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

These are all quite enjoyable.

Is the Mosquito a fun build? I've been working myself up to one and can never fully commit when I find the subtype I want in stock.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Phy posted:

Dude, a Mosquito would be cool enough on its own, but building your grandpa's exact plane is a hell of a flex

I hope if he's still around you've shown it to him

Nah unfortunately he died before I was born, but I got hold of all of 143 sqdn's operations records books and his flight logs so I got a good sense of the aircraft and its history.

grassy gnoll posted:

These are all quite enjoyable.

Is the Mosquito a fun build? I've been working myself up to one and can never fully commit when I find the subtype I want in stock.

Yeah typically straightforward Tamiya - it needed a little bit of filler at the back of the engine nacelles where they meet the top of the wing but aside from that it was great. Only downside was the decals kept silvering badly and needed a lot of work.

I've read that Japanese decals like Tamiya, Hasegawa, Fujimi etc only really respond well to Tamiya or Gunze setting/softener solutions, rather than Microset/sol, so I've ordered some Mr Mark Setter & Softer and hopefully they'll be a bit easier in future...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tamiya 1/700 USS Bogue (with Tom's Modelworks PE)

Flying Corsairs and Helldivers from a jeep carrier would have been… Sporting.

:v:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It turns out the Bovington tank museum has an online store.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That rules, I'm going to have to order one of those. Is the cat included, or do you have to provide your own?

Edit: dang, sold out already.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 19, 2022

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What a weird style of buttplug.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

HLJ's still got some if you've really got the need: https://www.hlj.com/1-1-scale-76-2mm-ubr-354p-hvap-t-high-velocity-armor-piercing-pig1-003

Pierzak posted:

What a weird style of buttplug.

Best cure for a fascist bowel obstruction.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Does anyone have any thoughts on painting a brass finish that size? Airbrushing that seems like it would be a pain, but I don't have any experience with, say, krylon or rustoleum metallics.

Also, I clicked that HLJ link and then the store link, and it took me to a) a replica of an 88mm shell being held by a guy in an SS uniform, and b) this:

grassy gnoll posted:

HLJ's still got some if you've really got the need: https://www.hlj.com/1-1-scale-76-2mm-ubr-354p-hvap-t-high-velocity-armor-piercing-pig1-003

Best cure for a fascist bowel obstruction.

Is there any other kind, comrade?

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
I made a tank and I think it turned out okay! When I decided I wanted to start making models I saw a Dragon kit that had all the cool extras at an antique market, impulse bought it and shoved it in my closet after getting scared of the part count. A year and half and a couple Tamiya kits later I was brave enough to tackle it!

Also my third figure - still a lot to learn (having a hell of a time blending acrylics - my first two faces looked like they were plastered with makeup)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

This might be the funniest thing I've seen all week.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

:chanpop:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I kinda wished I'd gotten more fro the Tank Museum shop when I ordered myself some Christmas gifts, but goddamn that shipping price from the UK to the US

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Missed opportunity for naming them after camo paint colors.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

If I'm going to be buying a board game from the Bovington museum I should be able to play as David Fletcher.

Does anyone have any thoughts on painting a brass finish that size? Airbrushing that seems like it would be a pain, but I don't have any experience with, say, krylon or rustoleum metallics.

Also, I clicked that HLJ link and then the store link, and it took me to a) a replica of an 88mm shell being held by a guy in an SS uniform, and b) this:

I painted some 1:1 steel the other day, Krylon chrome plus a coat of Golden Acrylics Shading Gray looked alright.

Is that an SS uniform or just the Panzerwaffe? I'm not seeing any SS specific insignia. Considering that the Soviet lady's uniform looks absolutely terrible, I'm guessing they just slapped whatever the closest costume they had on hand without thinking about it too hard.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I am unfortunately positive that norovirus leads to collective movements.

I'd think anything that size, you paint it with whatever you've got. Rub and buff might actually be a good option at that point, since you can get a lot of it for cheap and you probably won't be handling your shell casing that often.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ensign Expendable posted:

If I'm going to be buying a board game from the Bovington museum I should be able to play as David Fletcher.
I suspect he's the murder victim, based on a quick skim of the names.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

boba fetacheese posted:

I made a tank and I think it turned out okay! When I decided I wanted to start making models I saw a Dragon kit that had all the cool extras at an antique market, impulse bought it and shoved it in my closet after getting scared of the part count. A year and half and a couple Tamiya kits later I was brave enough to tackle it!

Also my third figure - still a lot to learn (having a hell of a time blending acrylics - my first two faces looked like they were plastered with makeup)

That looks really good, you did a great job on the ZImmerit especially!

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

Vorenus posted:

That looks really good, you did a great job on the ZImmerit especially!

Pre-molded! Outside of some fussy photoetch, good kit!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

boba fetacheese posted:

The KT and figure look great! Love the ground work too. All in all, it's a really nice, simple, convincing scene.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Tell me about your vent hoods and how you like them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

my cheapo vent hood works great but i also wear a respirator and allow the room to vent for sometime after spraying. maybe im paranoid though idk

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I used to use one of those small generic fold-up portable spray booth extractors (that are all over amazon/ebay) which was fine for a few years but eventually began falling apart. After I started spraying lacquers and enamels regularly I decided to upgrade to something with a bit more oomph so went with a Benchvent BV300S-D which has been fantastic - albeit it wasn't cheap. According to the specs it can suck around 6m³ air/min through it.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I used to use one of those small generic fold-up portable spray booth extractors (that are all over amazon/ebay) which was fine for a few years but eventually began falling apart.

I've been using the same one and have it vented out the basement window via 4" flexible ducting going into a dryer vent mounted on a piece of plywood that fits in the windowframe. The first thing I did when I got it was replace the cold bluish white LED strips with warm white strips. As I work with lacquers about 95% of the time, it didn't take long to learn that whatever plastic the spray booth is made of melts when it comes into contact with wet lacquer (spills, laying down mixing sticks in the booth, etc.). That was easily fixed by installing a piece of 1/8" HDPE plastic (or LDPE - either one works) sheet cut to the size of the base. I clean my airbrush with hot lacquer thinner in the booth, so I'm splashing and dripping it all over the place. The HDPE sheet negates any chemical reaction.

With those fairly easy modifications, it has been a great booth. The only other problem I had was that the power switch crapped out, so I had to replace it. The only one I had on-hand was a little larger, so I had to modify the hole to make it fit.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

grassy gnoll posted:

Tell me about your vent hoods and how you like them.

I got lucky in that my closet has a window and a bunch of built-in shelves done by the previous owner. I built a 'booth' out of corrugated plastic (like what's used for yard signs), a couple 16x20 furnace filters, a bathroom fan, and some flexible duct connected to a chunk of MDF I cut to fit the window. I normally just shoot acrylics but I'll run a lacquer or enamel rattle can if I really have to. I'll just mask up and let the fan run for a while with the closet door closed.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

punishedkissinger posted:

my cheapo vent hood works great but i also wear a respirator and allow the room to vent for sometime after spraying. maybe im paranoid though idk

I also do this, probably overkill like you say, but also I don't have to smell the paint so it's worth it.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

It's probably worth noting that even if you're using an extractor and only spraying acrylics you should still always wear a respirator because even if it's not a smelly solvent-based paint you really don't want to be inhaling particles of aerosolised paint. You only get one set of lungs!

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

I used to use one of those small generic fold-up portable spray booth extractors (that are all over amazon/ebay) which was fine for a few years but eventually began falling apart. After I started spraying lacquers and enamels regularly I decided to upgrade to something with a bit more oomph so went with a Benchvent BV300S-D which has been fantastic - albeit it wasn't cheap. According to the specs it can suck around 6m³ air/min through it.

I also had one of these that I used for a couple of years before it started falling apart. If you take these things apart, they're literally just a computer fan behind a filter. They're not worth the money, in my opinion. I'm in the process of building my own both right now. I built the booth out of wood and I'm going to try using a car cabin air filter that layers particulate filters with carbon. Dunno how that will work but they are pretty cheap. Probably going to end up using a 6" duct fan for exhaust, but still researching my options.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Thanks, y'all. My current setup is a case fan and a furnace filter in a cardboard box. If the prebuilt ones are really that crummy, I'll just build another nicer one.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

It's pretty much just the ones that looks like these which will fall apart after a few years:

although for the time I was using it I didn't have much space in my flat so it was definitely useful that it folded away.

The other options are either professional grade ones, like Benchvent (I'm sure there are US equivalents), or building your own. If you're going down the home-built route make sure that the fans you use have brushless motors as otherwise sucking lots of flammable vapours through it could be a fire hazard.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I have a cheap folding booth with an extractor fan from Amazon.

It's probably worth noting that even if you're using an extractor and only spraying acrylics you should still always wear a respirator because even if it's not a smelly solvent-based paint you really don't want to be inhaling particles of aerosolised paint. You only get one set of lungs!

While this is true, I spent 3+ years working in a plant where we worked with massive quantities of iso alcohol, ethyl acetate, ammonia, and glitters as fine as .005mm. We weren't provided with an extractor hood or any PPE beyond one old, lovely respirator that anyone could access (which is loving disgusting). I can't imagine acrylics doing much worse on top of that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Eh... TBH that's why you want to be extra careful with the acrylics. You might already have damage that they'll aggravate or push over the edge into "an actual problem".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Vorenus posted:

While this is true, I spent 3+ years working in a plant where we worked with massive quantities of iso alcohol, ethyl acetate, ammonia, and glitters as fine as .005mm. We weren't provided with an extractor hood or any PPE beyond one old, lovely respirator that anyone could access (which is loving disgusting). I can't imagine acrylics doing much worse on top of that.

From an OSHA standpoint particulates are regulated at 5 mg / m3, anything less than that and nothing is legally required. Even the mask is beyond what they are required by law to do. We had our facility tested two years ago and even at the worst we saw it (done on purpose) it wasn't even 1 mg / m3. The OSHA dude doing the testing said at 5mg/m3 you can't see the ceiling in an industrial facility. The other chemicals are different, Ammonia is 25 ppm, Iso and ethyl acetate are 400 ppm but you'd need a special respirator cartridge for those or engineering controls. NIOSH has guidelines that are far more rigorous and detailed but that is not law unfortunately.

There's a "minimum acceptable technology" threshold that if you can easily and affordably provide a high level of protection then you must. One example, adding a HEPA filter to a filtration unit instead of a basic filter. In my case when I paint I toss on an N95 respirator, add ventilation, and spray for 5 minutes. If I spent 4 hours with an airbrush I'd likely have a different opinion because the overall exposure is that much higher. A good comparison is auto body paint sprayers, they work in a downdraft booth with water coalescers and wear high grade respirators.

I've got an air sampler and extra cartridges, the next time I do a big air brushing project I'll wear it and run the numbers for exposure to particulates.