Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Lol

https://twitter.com/insideclimate/status/1482062458961506306?t=rhCKLsDP73ZPqNu_pYyjpA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
this is good news actually because this was the coolest july for the rest of our lives

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/chriscartw83/status/1482050127858573312?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

who cares that’s on the other side of the planet so it’s not going to affect me

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
Christopher Cartwright
@chriscartw83
I run the most depressing twitter account around. I simply post data, new research regarding climate change. It will destroy your mental health. I am not joking

post your account Chris

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

It's fun that they had to kick up the light values because the traditional red to dark red part of the scale that used to be the end of it isn't anymore.

I wonder why they just don't change the numeric values of the y axis scale.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

vyelkin posted:

gonna call it here since it turns out people care about the Leper's Colony and also because skull.gif has a point that this has gone on long enough, thanks everyone for playing, glad we all had a good time

lol at caring about the leper's colony though

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

:laugh:

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Let's stop all c02 emissions overnight and see what happens

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Kicked Throat posted:

:yeah:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Kicked Throat posted:

+0.5C to 0.9C (or better, depends who you ask and lowest bound would be 0.3C or 0.4C) of warming within 3 months.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

tiberion02 posted:

Christopher Cartwright
@chriscartw83
I run the most depressing twitter account around. I simply post data, new research regarding climate change. It will destroy your mental health. I am not joking

Followed.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

blue ocean event, come on baby

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

if you want to continue to talk about the rotifer thing, take into consideration that 1. there's other stuff to be unleashed from the permafrost 2. the global covid response of the past two years is as good as we'll get for "general pandemic response" and future pandemics will be handled in a far worse manner

let it melt

when you think about it, the audacity to call itself permafrost. that's a challenge

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

I'm sure we can do better this year.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I'm really stunned that ice has held on over 2020-2021, when Arctic temps went tropical for long stretches. Anyway I reckon within three years for BOE. Could be this year! With the jet stream already going tits up and bringing some of the most insane weather of all time it's gonna be a real doozy to introduce BOE to the equation - with AMOC following sometime soon after! (Just guessing that BOE happens before AMOC stop but no guarantee of that or anything, just guessing)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
If we broke up the big banks tomorrow, would that end climate change?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i wonder how the artic sea will be. it looks like a kick rear end fantasy map

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Who cares about anomalies? It's summer so raw temperatures will show melt impact. This event looks more directed at the EAIS than the Western side, so Thwaites / PIG aren't the target location.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
What are you thwaiting for?
I don't know, something amazing I guess!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Homeless Friend posted:

If we broke up the big banks tomorrow, would that end climate change?

If china did it, then our new overlord will probably put some movement togegher to protect their new land.

Otherwise, no, our breathing hurt the earth..

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

A blue ocean even over Antarctica would be quite the thing. Not as beneficial for trade routes as a BOE In the north but waaaay better for flooding most major cities and getting a wacky new archipelago out of the deal.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

can i get another just to annoy the QQCS posters?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

can i get another just to annoy the QQCS posters?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

500 good dogs posted:

probe me with the reason being a screenshot of that bitchmade QCS thread OP

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Leroy Diplowski posted:

A blue ocean even over Antarctica would be quite the thing. Not as beneficial for trade routes as a BOE In the north but waaaay better for flooding most major cities and getting a wacky new archipelago out of the deal.

ocean ice melting doesn't cause sea level rise i believe, it's only landlocked glacier melt that does. and a blue ocean event would mostly be the former

i may be wrong though. it's friday

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Homeless Friend posted:

i wonder how the artic sea will be. it looks like a kick rear end fantasy map

greenland should be green but thats a cool map. i hope todd coward uses it in elder scrolls 6

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ocean ice melting doesn't cause sea level rise i believe, it's only landlocked glacier melt that does. and a blue ocean event would mostly be the former

You're right but it would increase melting of on-land glaciers by reducing albedo and raising average sea temps.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i mean yeah that's correct but also what Leroy said. a lot of antarctica is land-glaciers so it'll result in higher sea level rise. a lot of the north isn't though

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Basic Poster posted:

It's fun that they had to kick up the light values because the traditional red to dark red part of the scale that used to be the end of it isn't anymore.

I wonder why they just don't change the numeric values of the y axis scale.

i was wondering that but i suppose there are other visual analysis computer programs calibrated to the standard color ranges?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

vyelkin posted:

gonna call it here since it turns out people care about the Leper's Colony and also because skull.gif has a point that this has gone on long enough, thanks everyone for playing, glad we all had a good time

what you should have done instead is ramp the probe length each day to 24 hours, a week, and then ban+30 until people stopped asking

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
QCS has the most mental cases and mirthless assholes on the somethingawful forums and it's not close, and Yes I know that's a bold statement. :colbert:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i will continue to get probed the old fashioned way (asking why so many mods are pedophiles)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Isn't most of the sea level rise the water just expanding as it heats up?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

QCS has the most mental cases and mirthless assholes on the somethingawful forums and it's not close, and Yes I know that's a bold statement. :colbert:

peace has reigned too long. the cspam drama wells are at dangerously low levels. drilling deeper and deeper for the last drops

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

no silly, water expands when it turns to ice

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

endlessmonotony posted:

? wat

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Water does in fact increase in volume as it is heated

E: seems to be responsible for about 1/3 of sea level rise so not "most"

kaxman has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Jan 14, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
For thread newcomers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNjWOCdony4

Watch this vid to catch up and make all your dreams come true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

kaxman posted:

Water does in fact increase in volume as it is heated

E: seems to be responsible for about 1/3 of sea level rise so not "most"

Huh. Would you look at that

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Jan 14, 2022