Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So I'm finally finding the time to crack open my Octarius box set. Anyone have any suggestions on how to build my veteran guardsmen team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes Man Kablam
Mar 18, 2010
I personally got a lot out of making 3 of the four gunner options (I had to mangle one of the arms to get the plasma gun to fit) and managed to do way more damage with the grenade launcher than expected.

The sniper/spotter duo is fantastic, and having the Comms helps spread the commanders orders each turn which is really good. I found close combat is not the veterans strong suit, I made the hardened veteran and he mostly just tanks hits without getting much opportunity to get in with the power fist.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Got to play this new edition Bloodbowl for the first time and live Blood Bowl which I haven't played for 17 or so years.
Won 4-2 with my woodies vs dark elves rookie teams despite getting 2 rips on the first drive and getting a bliz against. Did 1 k.o back and sufferer another si. Was even played in sweltering heat for the first half so was down 4 or 5 players for some parts.
Luckily wardancers still rock even though new leap sucks.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
That BB table looks good! I play BB2 on Steam with friends a lot, so I've always been tempted to start a physical team. Although I'm not sure how often I'd actually be able to use it though, if I do ever get one :v:

Anyway, just wondering...are there any paint storage cases you guys recommend? Mostly for Citadel paints of all sizes (mostly the little base pots, but also the taller texture paints and contrasts) but I've also got some random Vallejo paints that I wouldn't mind popping in there too, if possible.
At this point all I can really find are some official GW ones like this one and this bigger one but I dunno, $80AUD for a small case isn't super appealing..

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lucinice posted:

So I'm finally finding the time to crack open my Octarius box set. Anyone have any suggestions on how to build my veteran guardsmen team?

Goonhammer just tackled this today.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

That BB table looks good! I play BB2 on Steam with friends a lot, so I've always been tempted to start a physical team. Although I'm not sure how often I'd actually be able to use it though, if I do ever get one :v:

Anyway, just wondering...are there any paint storage cases you guys recommend? Mostly for Citadel paints of all sizes (mostly the little base pots, but also the taller texture paints and contrasts) but I've also got some random Vallejo paints that I wouldn't mind popping in there too, if possible.
At this point all I can really find are some official GW ones like this one and this bigger one but I dunno, $80AUD for a small case isn't super appealing..

You looking for cheap and easy? Something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001447AW2/ works great for everything IMO. Obviously, it will fit more dropper bottles, but it's a great, inexpensive option. obviously, Really Useful boxes are an alternative if you can't get the Plano.

I know Battlefoam is persona no grata in most circles, but I have a case that is similar to the 216 here: https://us.battlefoam.com/216-p-a-c-k-216-2-0-paint-load-out-black/. It fits the large trays, and I use it for both paint storage and as a mini and paint storage go-bag. Mine is an OOP model that is deeper however, so I can fit an extra layer of foam in there. I got mine at a serious markdown, and I don't know if I would recommend it for $80 USD, other than it's convenient and it fits the foam I already have on hand.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Major Isoor posted:

Anyway, just wondering...are there any paint storage cases you guys recommend?

Really Useful Boxes if you just need to stack em somewhere. Toolboxes if you actually need them to travel with you.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
aroma therapy cases are pretty good for storing paint bottles. I got a cheap rolling set of drawers from ikea and use that to store all my painting stuff now. Pretty useful for home organizing.

I got this one

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/helmer-drawer-unit-on-casters-black-20341970/

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

I know Battlefoam is persona no grata in most circles, but I have a case that is similar to the 216 here

Dare I ask why they're persona non grata?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Randalor posted:

Dare I ask why they're persona non grata?

The owner is kind of a dick. You can get the story by googling "Romeo battlefoam" if you really want to dig into it - it really doesn't need to be rehashed for the 900th time by me.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Romeo is an rear end in a top hat, their foam doesn't fit things like it is supposed to, is scratchy as poo poo, and they don't honor their warranties if they don't feel like it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
something about either harassing peoples' moms, or getting their mom to harrass people.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Dude sucks

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Battlefoam just seems outrageously overpriced for a $20 solution you can make with magnets, a baking tray, some epoxy adhesive, and a big plastic box.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Major Isoor posted:

Given you are talking AU$ and BB then there are a number of table top leagues round the country depending on your location. Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney all have active (or activating after the lockdowns I guess?) leagues that I know of. There's also a couple of excellent AU/NZ timezone leagues on fumbbl which are very competitive but rookie friendly.

Can't help with paint cases but if you are looking for smaller cases for a BB team then KR were always very good back in the day: https://www.krcases.com/ Back when there used to be tournaments every month or two they were great for prize support, and my cases have lasted me for years of being carted around the country.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My local Blood Bowl league just entered week 3 and it's going fairly well, but there's something I need to nip in the bid but I'm not sure how.

Almost everyone is convinced that bashing teams are too weak and KOs need to give 1 spp.

How do I convince them this is a terrible idea? I'm pretty sure it's going to happen next league because even the Warhammer store manager is on this train.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
roll dwarfs

you will never overcome a consensus that stupid. it isn't based on anything. all you can do is exploit the poo poo out of it.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Tell them to run rat or woodies teams and see how fun it is when everyone has mb. They are already nerfed enough with the 4+pass and nerf to leap.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
yeah if they insist on that just roll up to the next league with the bashiest murder team you can field and let the wins you rack up make your argument for you

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Like. I get where they're coming from. SPP from injuries is frustratingly erratic and slow, and it has been since way back when they (rightfully!) killed SPP from fouling. But they problem is that bash is still very reliable and effective and brutal to lose to. Giving bash a big push to help the snowball form is going to make for grindier games in fair matchups and blowouts that are even more unpleasant in unfair ones.

But I also know you will never, ever, ever convince war gamers to nerf anything but your own team. You gotta bite the bullet and beat them silly with their stupid house rule. And if you can't, might as well take advantage of the free training wheels to learn how then try it again.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

now, the stunty skill should only give 1 spp for an injury if you ask me

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Part of the problem I think is that most everyone is pretty green to Blood Bowl, including the Warhammer manager.

We have 2 divisions, one is brand new people, the other (which I'm in) is people who have played before. The problem is that the "experienced" division is mostly people who have fallen for the normal wargamer thing of having played a few games and thus think they're experts.

My division is all bash with the exception of one Dark Elf player and myself with Skaven. Watching games it seems that the majority of players haven't quite hit the tactics part of learning the game, it's always pretty much just a bashy scrum in the middle and maybe 1 or 2 TDs are scored per game. I also may not be helping their thoughts because if I play my turn right the only block they're throwing is off a blitz action. So my guess is they're thinking "that rat and elf team are getting SPP off touchdowns but I'm not getting anything throwing all my players at the rotspawn".

So yeah, guess I'll have to lean into the stupid and play dwarves or chaos dwarves if future leagues end up going that way.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hihohe posted:

now, the stunty skill should only give 1 spp for an injury if you ask me

ooooh, yeah! Since I mean, they're only half a player anyway, right? :D haha and you generally get twice the injuries against stunties anyway, after all!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Uhh, yes... but maybe once a stunty gains enough spp they give normal spp. Like enough spp for the first skill

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Floppychop posted:

Part of the problem I think is that most everyone is pretty green to Blood Bowl, including the Warhammer manager.

We have 2 divisions, one is brand new people, the other (which I'm in) is people who have played before. The problem is that the "experienced" division is mostly people who have fallen for the normal wargamer thing of having played a few games and thus think they're experts.

My division is all bash with the exception of one Dark Elf player and myself with Skaven. Watching games it seems that the majority of players haven't quite hit the tactics part of learning the game, it's always pretty much just a bashy scrum in the middle and maybe 1 or 2 TDs are scored per game. I also may not be helping their thoughts because if I play my turn right the only block they're throwing is off a blitz action. So my guess is they're thinking "that rat and elf team are getting SPP off touchdowns but I'm not getting anything throwing all my players at the rotspawn".

So yeah, guess I'll have to lean into the stupid and play dwarves or chaos dwarves if future leagues end up going that way.

Bloodbowl is very tricky in that it's easy to misunderstand your relative experience of the game. If you play IRL in a league you might have played casually on and off for years, which makes it look like you're well versed in the game. But you might just have seen a few matchups once or twice, and those matchups will be affected by how those specific teams had developed before the game. And chances are that most of your opponents had even less experience. Knowing the rules more or less by heart and knowing basic BBL tactics are two quite different things.

Meanwhile, if you've been playing Bloodbowl online, you might rack up more games in a week than most IRL players do in a year. You get up to speed on tactics much more, there's less room for rules mistakes to mess up what lessons you learn, and you quickly get to see patterns. After ten games of your bashy orcs vs skaven, you get a much more statistically based view of what to expect.

I saw this way back in the days when I played fumbbl compared to the local players who played like, 2-3 games per quarter at the club.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Yeah, I wouldn't argue to change the rules but maybe let teams start at a higher TV so that they can fit 2 or 3 skills in. If they have a problem vs ag teams , 1 guy with mb tackle changes the dynamics quite a lot.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well, I've had one hell of a hobby week.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
That is a FULL plate wow!

I'm also starting a Warmaster army and need to figure out what to base everything on. I like the idea of non-bezel 20x40's but I want them thinner so as not to make everything too tall.

Buuuuuut, I also don't want them to be impossible to pick up. Same thing with heroes - I like square bases more than circles. Gotta find thin acrylic or MDF or something.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey just wondering...are there any general tips about facing off against Lizardmen as another lizardmen team in Blood Bowl 2? I've got a mirror match later, and I'm honestly not sue if I can just play the way I normally do, or if I'll need to use a radically different strategy/mindset to do well.

We both have kroxigors and two of my sauruses (plus a skink) have block. I guess just tie up a bunch of sauruses in the middle, and try to free up a couple to kill some skinks? I dunno - seems like it'll be a weird match

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Yeah, force the opponent to make a bunch of blocks so that he gets turnovers. Otherwise just play better bloodbowl, better positioning so you don't have go gfi and dodge as much. Rookie mirror matches are a bit if a crapshoot, you could try and blitz skinks with the krox and pick both down but not if you are using the latest rules. Otherwise use the tail of the krox intelligently.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Unexpected Inquisitor content! I painted a navigator.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Unexpected Inquisitor content! I painted a navigator.

Nailed it, looks great.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I didn't really document the saga, but here is the finished result of my Nuclear Shrimp Lucius Pattern Warlord Titan. A lot of green stuff and some Adeptus Titanicus parts went into it. I generally paint to table-top standard, and this was no exception, but I'm happy with the result.

Again, don't buy this kit unless you are prepared to do a ton of work on the model itself and are experienced as a sculptor.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

No sense of scale. Could you take a picture with a space marine or something? Looks nifty though.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

No sense of scale. Could you take a picture with a space marine or something? Looks nifty though.

I possess no space marines, but here is a LotR model, it is true scale 28mm. Also sorry for the terrible quality photos, I'm not breaking out the good camera, and the phone camera is in terrible shape from being in my art studio constantly.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
That looks great, VR! The most I've been able to do with green stuff is make a feather and some backpack straps, for my Bolt Action Alpini. That must've been a colossal amount of work!

That titan reminds me about my own AT minis I need to do, though... I'm gonna do some based forest patches (for lack of better words) as some terrain - and I'm hoping I can have one of the larger ones featuring a crash site. (I'm thinking maybe a Thunderbolt or Marauder, or something) Just wondering though, does anyone know where I can get one, in the right scale? I don't mind if it's a not-so-great 3D print of a third party almost identical Not-A-Thunderhawk-To-Avoid-Copyright-Infringement or something, since I'm gonna hack it up a little anyway, so I just want something that's roughly the right look. (Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, or what have you. I'm just not all that experienced in this area!)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

My 6mm Ultramarines have the following not-a-thunderhawk - https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/novan-elites-eagle-dropship/

Might be a bit pricey to chop up though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
An actual AI Thunderhawk is cheaper than the vanguard version and is both bigger, more detailed and plastic.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Major Isoor posted:

That looks great, VR! The most I've been able to do with green stuff is make a feather and some backpack straps, for my Bolt Action Alpini. That must've been a colossal amount of work!

That titan reminds me about my own AT minis I need to do, though... I'm gonna do some based forest patches (for lack of better words) as some terrain - and I'm hoping I can have one of the larger ones featuring a crash site. (I'm thinking maybe a Thunderbolt or Marauder, or something) Just wondering though, does anyone know where I can get one, in the right scale? I don't mind if it's a not-so-great 3D print of a third party almost identical Not-A-Thunderhawk-To-Avoid-Copyright-Infringement or something, since I'm gonna hack it up a little anyway, so I just want something that's roughly the right look. (Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, or what have you. I'm just not all that experienced in this area!)

If you have a printer
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3680223
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3753427
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4348137

goodness fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

An actual AI Thunderhawk is cheaper than the vanguard version and is both bigger, more detailed and plastic.

haha so it is, at least I bought mine from vanguard before the AI one was out. I will say the vanguard one is very nice, but yes, both resin and expensive.