Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Honestly I'm kind of surprised there weren't more Star Trek FPS games. Like it seems like it'd be perfect for a lovely third-rate Wolf3d engine game from way too late to be using Wolf3d, and like the Unreal engine kind of would have been perfect for a lame Trek game.

I hear Klingon Honor Guard's pretty good. Well, it's apparently Star Trek Unreal (apparently you can still console summon Skaarj in it) but it apparently works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Slightly off topic but on top of all the official good things you can do with the Series S it's also probably the strongest emulator device on the market that isn't just a regular PC;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5brNh8ykVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQJVUvlG3A

It also suffers heavily from being one of those games more concerned with being difficult than actually being any fun to play

No joke, when they released the new Xbox and PS5 consoles, I was wondering what was the Series S about. Now looking at the price and its performance, plus how easy is to make it a strong emulation machine made me want to get one. It's small, light, low heat and portable. drat nice bang for the cost. The low point is the small storage but then you can slap the emu stuff on an external (or even a 128/256gb usb drive).

I'll probably get a Series S soon as is still hard to get a PS5 or Series X.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t think it’s worth getting for emulation since they could pull the plug on that at any moment.

That Star Trek fps looks interesting. Maybe I’ll try it since I love Q3 so much. What other notable games run on that engine?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t think it’s worth getting for emulation since they could pull the plug on that at any moment.

That Star Trek fps looks interesting. Maybe I’ll try it since I love Q3 so much. What other notable games run on that engine?

They won't because you pay for it and is a selling point for Microsoft and getting a digital-only console makes you the perfect Game Pass potential user.

And still, getting one and installing CFW to play back compat games and emulation is enough for a compact console with good performance.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Call of Duty
Elite Force 2
Star Wars: Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

Are the first that come to mind

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

Blood's only (?) big gameplay mod just hit 1.0.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5_BB_QdY-I

Holy poo poo this looks sick as hell.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not an FPS, but American McGee's Alice

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guillermus posted:

They won't because you pay for it and is a selling point for Microsoft and getting a digital-only console makes you the perfect Game Pass potential user.

And still, getting one and installing CFW to play back compat games and emulation is enough for a compact console with good performance.

They absolutely could pull emulation apps from their store, and they probably will at some point. Those usually contain firmware binaries that are copyrighted and belong to the platform holders, not the person selling the emulation app. If you want an emulation platform, there are a ton of better options. Don't buy an Xbox for emulation.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Baron von Eevl posted:

... the Unreal engine kind of would have been perfect for a lame Trek game.

Good News!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation:_Klingon_Honor_Guard

Ah, see someone beat me to it...

There's also this one, though it's a third person shooter/adventure hybrid that I think was a little ambitious for its time:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine:_The_Fallen

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Jedi Outcast is the next game Raven did after Elite Force so it feels like a slightly newer iteration of their work on it.

I’m going to try The Fallen at some point. I like DS9 a lot better than my memories of Voyager, and most people seem to agree. I picked up DS9: Harbinger last week. It’s an adventure game but with rail shooter bits but seems fun so far.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fame Douglas posted:

They absolutely could pull emulation apps from their store, and they probably will at some point. Those usually contain firmware binaries that are copyrighted and belong to the platform holders, not the person selling the emulation app. If you want an emulation platform, there are a ton of better options. Don't buy an Xbox for emulation.

They could but they probably won't, as it's free money for Microsoft and from my recollection one of Retroarch's things is that it specifically avoids using any copyrighted code in it's emulator cores, even requiring users to provide their own BIOS files for those systems that require them

And Emulators are fully legal anyways, it's been proven in court and everything(since it's the same basic principle that allowed for the existence of "PC Compatible" computers back in the 80's), it's only ROMS and BIOS files that are legally sketchy and that part is provided by the end user

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Casimir Radon posted:

Jedi Outcast is the next game Raven did after Elite Force so it feels like a slightly newer iteration of their work on it.

Jedi Outcast and Elite Force are both great games, but I really don't think they feel like iterations of each other at all even though some retro podcasters recently claimed that to be the case.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

Jedi Outcast is more an iteration on Heretic II

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is there not a jailbreak thing for xboxs anymore? Seems like if you're buying a console specifically as an emu machine that would be a thing to do

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Jedi Outcast is good and probably the best Dark Forces lineage game other than the original. It has that dumb thing where you don't get a lightsaber until way too far into the game, but I'd recommend cheating one in and also turning on the realistic lightsaber damage code, dudes just fall the gently caress apart it's great.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

site posted:

Is there not a jailbreak thing for xboxs anymore? Seems like if you're buying a console specifically as an emu machine that would be a thing to do

Series S/X include an optional Develper Mode you can pay a one time fee to gain access to, this is what makes Retroarch able to be loaded onto the Xbox without having to jailbreak it, as the Xbox specific version of Retroarch is a Universal Windows Platform app

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

site posted:

No, the Xbox One and Xbox Series have never been hacked in any useful way

Homebrew is possible via sanctioned methods but MS could always pull the plug

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Prophet of Nixon posted:

There's also this one, though it's a third person shooter/adventure hybrid that I think was a little ambitious for its time:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine:_The_Fallen
That one's a little weird, since there was a trilogy of DS9 novels that take the same basic concept of the game but quickly venture in a more insane direction. Like, the second book is set in a dystopian alternate future where the Trek universe has turned into WH40K, and the book ends with the universe being destroyed.

In general though, despite its cultural influence Trek itself has never been a major player in gaming. I'd say a lot of that has to do with Paramount/Viacom/CBS not having much understanding or interest in gaming as a medium, along with a general unwillingness to let outside parties experiment with the franchise. Heck, it used to be back in the 1990s that a publisher would only be able to get a license for a specific series, not the entire franchise. Interplay got the TOS and movie license and could only make games in that setting, Microprose got the TNG license, though that was eventually bundled with the VOY license and given to Activision, while DS9 was with the game publishing arm of Viacom subsidiary Simon & Schuster because no one else wanted it. Things were starting to loosen up around the turn of the millennium, but after Activision sued to dump the Trek license Viacom pretty much gave up on trying to do anything with Trek in gaming. (You'd think an CRPG in the vein of Mass Effect would have been a no-brainer, but surprisingly no one ever tried to make one.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

drrockso20 posted:

Series S/X include an optional Develper Mode you can pay a one time fee to gain access to, this is what makes Retroarch able to be loaded onto the Xbox without having to jailbreak it, as the Xbox specific version of Retroarch is a Universal Windows Platform app

repiv posted:

well that's a bummer

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

repiv posted:

Worth noting that Could doesn't actually indicate the actual probability of them doing so which I'd rate as being incredibly unlikely since again nothing about Retroarch itself is illegal

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
You don’t need dev mode for emulators on Xbox anymore

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

repiv posted:

It seems like they're at least unlikely to do it though, because they just did a big wave of deactivations (intending to only get inactive accounts) and immediately rolled it back when people started having problems. If they were actively against it, those accounts probably would have stayed deactivated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9JhLc5MQDM

(Video description has the update and response from MS.)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Raspberry Pi is a very cheap emu machine that can handle up to about PS2 level now I think? I did one a few years back and it was great for packing in a suitcase to play SNES games when I was travelling.

Convex fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 14, 2022

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Marshal Radisic posted:

(You'd think an CRPG in the vein of Mass Effect would have been a no-brainer, but surprisingly no one ever tried to make one.)

"You'll get a co-op Gears clone and you'll like it!"

Thanks for the quick explanation on the weirdness. I do kinda wish we had a few more weird Star Trek games, maybe a Powerslave-era Build game or something.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Klingon Honor Guard, DS9: The Fallen and the Elite Force games have all been brought up, but don't forget that there's another FPS that adapts Generations, complete with branching paths (I let Malcolm McDowell blow up a sun in the first level because Riker was downed, while a YouTube video playing the same level did not, drove Malcolm McDowell off, and successfully averted that catastrophe - I'm not sure what canonically happens to said sun in the film, or if this massacred research station is even where the Enterprise-D learns of Malcolm McDowell's insidious machinations).

It's a bit awkward to play since mouse look, such as it is, is accelerative instead of direct, so you constantly turn if your mouse isn't dead-center, and then turn faster the further from center it is. At the same time, you can interact with objects using the mouse when you're *not* actively turning (you have to hold RMB to turn, as I recall), so it's kind of like System Shock in that one, very specific manner.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And then as I recall, inbetween some of the FPS levels there's a weird FTL-but-actually-Star Trek-but-also-incomprehensible spaceship fightin' mode.

On the one hand it is unfortunate that Star Trek games never really stuck, but I do dig how eclectic and weird they are as a result.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shadow Hog posted:

Klingon Honor Guard, DS9: The Fallen and the Elite Force games have all been brought up, but don't forget that there's another FPS that adapts Generations, complete with branching paths (I let Malcolm McDowell blow up a sun in the first level because Riker was downed, while a YouTube video playing the same level did not, drove Malcolm McDowell off, and successfully averted that catastrophe - I'm not sure what canonically happens to said sun in the film, or if this massacred research station is even where the Enterprise-D learns of Malcolm McDowell's insidious machinations).

It's a bit awkward to play since mouse look, such as it is, is accelerative instead of direct, so you constantly turn if your mouse isn't dead-center, and then turn faster the further from center it is. At the same time, you can interact with objects using the mouse when you're *not* actively turning (you have to hold RMB to turn, as I recall), so it's kind of like System Shock in that one, very specific manner.

Also you get to karate chop your way through walls :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

catlord posted:

I hear Klingon Honor Guard's pretty good. Well, it's apparently Star Trek Unreal (apparently you can still console summon Skaarj in it) but it apparently works.

"Klingons vs. Skaarj" would have been an appropriate Deadliest Warrior episode, and no more absurd and fantastic than any of the show's other matchups.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

Klingon Honor Guard was one of the first ever Unreal Engine licensees, IIRC.

Fame Douglas posted:

Emulators regularly get pulled from the MS Store, but that doesn't stop anyone from sideloading them via Developer Mode.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Everyone is always trying to hack consoles. Part of Microsofts security against that is letting literally anyone open it up in dev mode which lets you run homebrew apps on the platform. While this is more intended to let people have an easier time developing games and apps for the xbox platform, it also does undercut a lot of the "gotta jail break my xbox" crowd because as shown above you can install retroarch with no complaints to dev mode and play whatever your little heart desires.

Well the disc image, anyway, I think like the PS5 it can't read CDs due to lacking the laser

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Barudak posted:

Well the disc image, anyway, I think like the PS5 it can't read CDs due to lacking the laser

Xbox One & Series has a CD laser, notably it can still play Audio CDs (unlike the PS4 & 5 which is... weird). Chuck one in and it'll ask you to install Groove Music. However I question just how much access you can give a UWP app that would be necessary for emulation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rocket Pan posted:

Xbox One & Series has a CD laser, notably it can still play Audio CDs (unlike the PS4 & 5 which is... weird). Chuck one in and it'll ask you to install Groove Music. However I question just how much access you can give a UWP app that would be necessary for emulation.

From my recollection the PS4 technically could still read CD's but disables it because Sony doesn't want to have to pay licensing fees for them to be usable as a CD Player, kind of like how you need to have your PS4 connected to the Internet the first time you use it to play a Blu-Ray movie, cause it's not activated as one from the factory, that way Sony only has to pay the license for PS4's that do get used for watching those and not all of them

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Nice. I was about to buy it, too

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Raspberry Pi is a very cheap emu machine that can handle up to about PS2 level now I think? I did one a few years back and it was great for packing in a suitcase to play SNES games when I was travelling.

I had a Pi3 time ago that I sold to a friend and was planning to get a Pi4 that are... more expensive now than when they launched paired with not good PS2 emulation (you should stop at PS1/N64 level). The thing with the Series S is that is a really capable modern console too, at least for me. I have plenty of digital Xbox360 games that will run with enhancements and being able to plug a usb drive with roms or ISOs is the selling point for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Raspberry Pis absolutely cannot do PS2

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If you have a 4K TV a Raspberry Pi will struggle even to render the desktop with satisfactory performance. I got a Raspberry Pi 400 (which is an Rpi4 inside a keyboard) as a gift last year and have been experimenting with using it as an emulation machine on my TV and while it's not terrible for some uses, it's pretty limited as to what it can do beyond the 16-bit usual suspects. There's no way it could do PS2.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
An NVIDIA Shield can run many PS2 games but not all thanks to Aether SX2, so basically only the fastest ARM Android Box (or comparably priced low end x86 boxes) can handle it right now, and neither are anywhere near 100%, a Rasberry Pi 4 is far below that in power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CesxTuvBe0

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/galacticfurball/status/1482073273198206977?s=21
https://twitter.com/galacticfurball/status/1482091869823664128?s=21

Add one more to the "it runs DOOM pile"

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Raspberry Pis absolutely cannot do PS2

PS1 it can definitely do, but even then you'll see it trying it's hardest to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah if you boot into RetroPi it can do PS1 OK, and you've got decent ports of Quake 1 and Doom etc...
I got a PSTV cheap enough a few years back and that little thing is a beast. Full native PS1/PSP/Vita games and then really good ports of old FPS games. Great Quake1/2 ports, Powerslave, Wolfenstein, Elite Force multiplayer and even a very passable Half-Life 1 port. It's so nice playing Half Life on my TV, I can't wait for the steam deck for old FPS games :D