Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I floor it and drive everywhere at 120mph because the safest thing you can do is ensure you're on the road for the least possible time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Also, never turn left. Avoid turning right if possible, as well, but never turn left, that's just asking for it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I've heard this theory bandied about for football: That CTE is on the rise both because we're better at diagnosing it, and because pads are getting better and better encouraging you to be more and more reckless.
And then they ban diving head-first for a tackle and I have to :thunk: but also I played football and know to use my pads to tackle so, in short. land of contrasts.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The world was not ready for my invention of the Sudden Stop Preventer, a piano wire that is wrapped around the driver's neck that instantly decapitates them if they bump into another car or hit their brakes too hard at a stop sign, but maybe the tides are changing.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

VitalSigns posted:

I floor it and drive everywhere at 120mph because the safest thing you can do is ensure you're on the road for the least possible time

I have had people make the argument that driving faster is safer with regard to collisions with deer because they would be on the road for less time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The last thing you want to do in a spacewalk is go out there in uncomfortable, restrictive 'safety' gear like a spacesuit.

In such an unforgiving environment you need your full dexterity and can't afford the encumbrance of heavy gloves or oxygen tanks. And don't get me started on the tether: if your space station explodes and you can't unclip the tether fast enough you could be killed!

You just gotta hold your breath, get out there, get it done, and get back in as quickly as possible, don't be a p*ssy

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
Even though I end up looking like an idiot I can’t help myself, it’s like watching a train wreck.

Me - In case you are scared of flying, here is some light reading as well.

***bunch of NASA docs***

TheLogicalOne - Indeed person encouraging you to take risks is the one who is afraid of things. I had really hope that you had gained a skill other than projection after all this time.

Me - What does that even mean?
Me - Who are you talking about?

TheLogicalOne - you, im talking about you, you project fear onto me "afraid to fly" while im telling you to stop being afraid of everything.

TheLogicalOne - and then you think not understanding something is an intellectual argument against it...

Me - Lol, that’s not projection that is called a joke poking fun at your risk/safety analysis since flying is safer than driving but flying is more likely to result in a catastrophic loss of life.

Me - Jesus man, learn to take a joke.

TheLogicalOne - is it always joking when you get called out?

TheLogicalOne - also, you claim to be mocking or poking fun at safety risk analysis, then you give a perfect example of why that point is valid

Me - I mean it was clearly said in a tounge in cheek in manner but if you did take is an insult I am sorry. I was attempting to be playful and make this conversation less serious and more fun.

TheLogicalOne - if its a joke, you set up no expectation to be overturned, and the expectation you overturned in the process was your own

Me - I will work on better communicating my efforts at humor in the future, to avoid further misunderstandings.

TheLogicalOne - i mean youve landed on funny, but do you see how it was entirely by accident and not crafted with any wit

TheLogicalOne - its like mr magoo falling out of a plane and managing to stick the landing

Me - The expectation to be overturned is that you are not afraid of flying

TheLogicalOne - because he fell out while it was still on the ground

Me - Which if that was not overturned, are you afraid of flying?

Me - Cause if so, then i was being real rude and apologize for bringing up a potential phobia.

Me - I assumed based off your previous comments you had no issues flying.

Me - That’s the tounge-in-cheek part of it

TheLogicalOne - okay, lets follow this through, you brought up that i have a fear that i dont have, then you changed your expectation in the conversation from your point of view to its opposite, with no setup for that change, and expected that to be the point of view for the basis of your joke, and the overturning of that expectation is "no your actually fearful"

your joke, was "ha you think you have no fear of flying but you actually are"

TheLogicalOne - thats not a joke, thats a poor attempt at bullying someone over projected fear you imagine them to have

TheLogicalOne - if that was your expectation, you are sinister and incompetent. Would you like to try and retract

TheLogicalOne - i mean youve succesfully managed to put it into joke territory, given that roasts are a form of humor, but its the kind of roast that nobody laughs at, except the mind numbingly indoctrinated. Its just hours and hours of callign trump a nazi because you cant imagine any actual qualities or behaviors he has worth roasting.

Me - I sarcastically implied you had a fear of flying based off the fact you said you would buy your own tickets(implying you had no fear of flying).

Me - It also pokes fun at your reluctance to come down to Houston and talk to an Astronaut despite it being a free trip.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
imagine living your whole life afraid that strangers will think you're afraid of danger.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

According to the big list of numbers I am strong and good and everyone young is terrible, just as in other notable Good Times like *consults* the 1860s.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guavanaut posted:

According to the big list of numbers I am strong and good and everyone young is terrible, just as in other notable Good Times like *consults* the 1860s.

Weak men create hard times, hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men.

Women just exist, I guess.

At least we've still got five years of good times, boys! :woop:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It reminds me of this "hey guys isn't it weird how all these awakenings and crises are almost exactly 50 years apart if you ignore all the ones I left off?" one (that got covid scrawled on it but no other pandemic).

Amazing how WWII just came out of nowhere. I think the II stands for Intel Inside.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Guavanaut posted:

According to their own chart, most or all of the founders of the country would fall within the "good times create weak men" category (if I'm interpreting this correctly as a chart of birth years?).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Local Boomer Has Remarkable Insight Into 821 CE

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Guavanaut posted:

Amazing how WWII just came out of nowhere. I think the II stands for Intel Inside.

It was IBM actually. :eng99:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

GrunkleStalin posted:

Even though I end up looking like an idiot I can’t help myself, it’s like watching a train wreck.

Me - In case you are scared of flying, here is some light reading as well.

***bunch of NASA docs***

TheLogicalOne - Indeed person encouraging you to take risks is the one who is afraid of things. I had really hope that you had gained a skill other than projection after all this time.

Me - What does that even mean?
Me - Who are you talking about?

TheLogicalOne - you, im talking about you, you project fear onto me "afraid to fly" while im telling you to stop being afraid of everything.

TheLogicalOne - and then you think not understanding something is an intellectual argument against it...

Me - Lol, that’s not projection that is called a joke poking fun at your risk/safety analysis since flying is safer than driving but flying is more likely to result in a catastrophic loss of life.

Me - Jesus man, learn to take a joke.

TheLogicalOne - is it always joking when you get called out?

TheLogicalOne - also, you claim to be mocking or poking fun at safety risk analysis, then you give a perfect example of why that point is valid

Me - I mean it was clearly said in a tounge in cheek in manner but if you did take is an insult I am sorry. I was attempting to be playful and make this conversation less serious and more fun.

TheLogicalOne - if its a joke, you set up no expectation to be overturned, and the expectation you overturned in the process was your own

Me - I will work on better communicating my efforts at humor in the future, to avoid further misunderstandings.

TheLogicalOne - i mean youve landed on funny, but do you see how it was entirely by accident and not crafted with any wit

TheLogicalOne - its like mr magoo falling out of a plane and managing to stick the landing

Me - The expectation to be overturned is that you are not afraid of flying

TheLogicalOne - because he fell out while it was still on the ground

Me - Which if that was not overturned, are you afraid of flying?

Me - Cause if so, then i was being real rude and apologize for bringing up a potential phobia.

Me - I assumed based off your previous comments you had no issues flying.

Me - That’s the tounge-in-cheek part of it

TheLogicalOne - okay, lets follow this through, you brought up that i have a fear that i dont have, then you changed your expectation in the conversation from your point of view to its opposite, with no setup for that change, and expected that to be the point of view for the basis of your joke, and the overturning of that expectation is "no your actually fearful"

your joke, was "ha you think you have no fear of flying but you actually are"

TheLogicalOne - thats not a joke, thats a poor attempt at bullying someone over projected fear you imagine them to have

TheLogicalOne - if that was your expectation, you are sinister and incompetent. Would you like to try and retract

TheLogicalOne - i mean youve succesfully managed to put it into joke territory, given that roasts are a form of humor, but its the kind of roast that nobody laughs at, except the mind numbingly indoctrinated. Its just hours and hours of callign trump a nazi because you cant imagine any actual qualities or behaviors he has worth roasting.

Me - I sarcastically implied you had a fear of flying based off the fact you said you would buy your own tickets(implying you had no fear of flying).

Me - It also pokes fun at your reluctance to come down to Houston and talk to an Astronaut despite it being a free trip.

TheLogicalOne? More like TheWhinyPantsOne.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Guavanaut posted:

Not for motor racing though, where people have been driving recklessly for money since someone figured you could put an engine on wheels, and safety improvements (both physical and the rules of racing) still improve safety.

Out of curiosity do you have any information on why deaths went up for USAC from the 70s to 90s and NASCAR from the 80s to 90s while Formula 1 kept dropping?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Please stop encouraging TheLogicalOne to come to Houston, thanks in advance.

e:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Out of curiosity do you have any information on why deaths went up for USAC from the 70s to 90s and NASCAR from the 80s to 90s while Formula 1 kept dropping?

I forget what it was specifically about the cars that made them death traps but it was basically entirely on the cars. They were reaching speeds in aerodynamic conditions that were basically guaranteeing someone was going to die and it took until Earnhardt dying for NASCAR to come out with a new car that deescalated things. I'm sure some NASCAR nerd can come behind me and fill in the details.

Oh also something to do with their neck harnesses to. Either lack of one or the design of it at the time.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 14, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm not fully certain. I know that there was enough outcry in F1 about the death of Tom Pryce in '77 that it led to lasting changes in how safety was looked at, and Ayrton Senna's death in '94 led to the GPDA (driver's union) returning.

SafetyLogicDude would have loving loved the Tom Pryce catastrophe, Renzo Zorzi was stuck in his burning car because his oxygen hose (to stop drivers suffocating in burning cars) was stuck, and two fire marshals ran across the track with 40lb fire extinguishers, another car hit one of the marshals, throwing the fire extinguisher in the air, which hit Pryce on the head, killing him.

Fortunately because they weren't a clown school, they changed the rules on how marshals cross the track and how fires are dealt with rather than saying "fire extinguishers and oxygen hoses actually kill more people than they save I am very smart."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Risk is a topic that can be a bit unintuitive, I guess I can understand why someone might throw up their hands and say "gently caress it, this is too hard."

A lot of it involves rare events, and the mitigations aren't usually perfect, so it ends up being stuff like spending money to change the probability and severity of an event, and there can be additional side effects that create new risks, and so on.

And since you rarely have a good picture of the actual probabilities involved, it can sometimes seem like a lot of time and energy is being spent on things that don't actually help, and sometimes that's actually the case.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

Also, never turn left. Avoid turning right if possible, as well, but never turn left, that's just asking for it.

RIP Dale.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

Drivers being both more powerful and more safety-conscious, basically. The killer years of Formula 1 (and it's worth pointing out just *how* deadly the 60s and early 70s were - grids are much, much smaller than either Indy or Nascar, so they were literally losing a tenth of the drivers a season some seasons) led to the formation of the Formula 1 Drivers Association, basically a trade union, that refused to race at the most dangerous tracks - Spa had the highest-speed bits lopped off, Nurburgring was dropped altogether, run-off areas and proper fire marshalling were introduced everywhere else, after a number of particularly high-profile incidents.

Meanwhile Nascar in particular was just getting faster and faster with no real improvements in track safety, and had a culture where drivers were less able to influence the rules *and* were less inclined to care as much about safety because risk was supposed to be part of the appeal, and it took until the 90s (and of course 2001) for people to really start to care about it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

People still complain about how NASCAR has gotten too safe and when they were younger it was way more interesting because there were more crashes and now it's a pussy sport that liberals have ruined for real Americans.

I used to work with a lot of rednecks, if you can't tell.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Antigravitas posted:

It was IBM actually. :eng99:

:vince:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Local Boomer Has Remarkable Insight Into 821 CE

Local millennial born in 1988 discovers 1989 is the year masculinity died

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hate when big tough years beat up small coward years

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Guavanaut posted:

Men create everything apparently is my main takeaway here.

I mean, what has any woman every done to create anything anyway?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Going to call my Tom of Finland tribute collection "Hard Men Create Good Times"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

People still complain about how NASCAR has gotten too safe and when they were younger it was way more interesting because there were more crashes and now it's a pussy sport that liberals have ruined for real Americans.

Its the same poo poo with Rally Group B.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

I want to make fun of this but I have almost the exact same instinctual opinion of the NHL

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Guavanaut posted:

It reminds me of this "hey guys isn't it weird how all these awakenings and crises are almost exactly 50 years apart if you ignore all the ones I left off?" one (that got covid scrawled on it but no other pandemic).

Oh wow you mean like every generation has a really big cultural event? Huh. Weird.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Guavanaut posted:

Lol this chart makes zero loving sense. It's comparable to rightwing writers saying the gays caused Nazis to rise up and not the Somme.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Guavanaut posted:

Ah, the Fourth Turning.

On it's own, the chart makes no sense.

Reading the book it does, sort of, but I"m nowhere near as hard of an adherent to it as I was 10-15 years ago.

I do think we're in a fourth turning and crisis state, and probably have been since 2008. But I don't think we're going to cohere together enough to solve any problems. My prediction...the crisis ends in 2028 our of sheer exhaustion. The winning president that year may be Republican or Democrat, but either way, they will be someone who makes Mitt Romney look like Evil Knievel.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
:chloe:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

U might doubt but the plague will just get tired in 2028 and take a nap!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/weekndatfernies/status/1482145667543883778?s=21

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GrunkleStalin posted:

What do you mean? People die and get maimed in train wrecks, it's horrible. Are you saying that I take sadistic pleasure in people's suffering??

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Trains actually kill more people than they save. We should allow cars on the tracks instead.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Guavanaut posted:

Trains actually kill more people than they save. We should allow cars on the tracks instead.

My time traveling Delorean and I agree.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

*distant steam whistles and train horns sound as the car-hating thread gets suddenly furious for reasons they can’t understand*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted: